Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beat FM - the good and the bad

Options
  • 16-12-2015 3:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭

I listen to Beat a lot, driving to work, in work and I love the old tunes on a Sunday but its not a perfect station by any means. The quality of the news reporters are very mixed, with lots of stumbling over words, stammers and inaccuracies. And some of the DJs, I would love to know where they are from! Some strange accents, your man Konor or Conor he has a very odd accent for such a young person. Asides from that, there are some great features on it.

Anyone else listen to Beat?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭The Bowling Alley

Nope. I'm not in their demographic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

It is a terrible station and those that's doing their version of agony aunts in the morning wreck my head. The only time I have beat on is when the youngfella is in the car...he doesn't like talk radio so I have to be nice and let him listen to the drivel :D

• Registered Users Posts: 29,384 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

pretty much gave up listening to radio in the 90's. never really went back to it. was listening to pirate radio for a while but thats gone now. sounds like im not missing much on mainstream

• Registered Users Posts: 14,172 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

No, never liked the station.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

Never liked it, my wife put it on in the car a while ago, i timed 8 minutes of ads straight at one point!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

Terrible station devoid of any class but what else would you expect from

an offshoot of another Waterford station that continues and excels in its

drive towards mediocrity!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beat_102_103

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

dont like it. It's the only station I can get in work and they repeat stuff all day long . It drives me insane.Also that daily dilemma every day is completely made up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Beat Breakfast is ok at times. It gets very repetitive at times. Between 8-9 you know that it's 1 song - ask for callers for beat the bong - song - beat the bong - song - general chat - song - ads - daily dilemma - classic song - daily dilemma - ad - song - daily dilemma - song - news. Thankfully I only listen to it once a week - and I fit Gift Grub in at different stages.

But Beat is handy if you want music, especially in the evenings and weekends. When driving out of Dublin when you are awash with options from 98FM, Spin, FM104 etc and suddenly you're hitting the M9 and you're left with Today FM and 2FM - you soon appreciate when Beat is there at times if you do want music.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,766 ✭✭✭lertsnim

It is rubbish but I am a long way out of the demographic. Too much inane chatter about absolute bollocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

What drives me mental more then anything when its on is the station annocement clip.
    BEAT 102-103 YOUR MUSIC NOW....BWAMMMMBABDADBCPDHEJDE....BEBEBEBEBEBEBEBE BEAT 102 103

Sounds like it was made by a 3 year old loaded with speed and coffee before being handed a mixer

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Tim the Enchanter

I don't listen to it anymore. News reports are terrible and if your going to have someone read the sports news, at least get a person who has some level of interest in sport. The amount of times I've heard some girl reading the sport news and they clearly have no idea who or what they are talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭dk1982

iseegirls wrote: »

But Beat is handy if you want music, especially in the evenings and weekends. When driving out of Dublin when you are awash with options from 98FM, Spin, FM104 etc and suddenly you're hitting the M9 and you're left with Today FM and 2FM - you soon appreciate when Beat is there at times if you do want music.

Exactly as above!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

Being a bit harsh on Beat I would say folks, it is very good at what it does and who it is there to cater to. It wins awards, maintains a good listenership all the while giving chances to young inexperienced DJ's and newsreaders.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,348 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Only aimed at can drinking students. There facebook page is full of popular topics and quotes 'Netflix and chill' and all that ****e.

Rte gold is my station, wlr and rte one for a match and news talk

• Registered Users Posts: 14,644 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Only aimed at can drinking students. There facebook page is full of popular topics and quotes 'Netflix and chill' and all that ****e.

Rte gold is my station, wlr and rte one for a match and news talk

What's it like being 60 years old?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,348 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

callaway92 wrote: »
    What's it like being 60 years old?

Pretty good lol. Fair a bit away from it yet. 26 now but love the old classics so rte gold is a good station

• Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

I like it but they have lost a few good DJ's and Newsreaders in the last 2 years and quality has dropped slightly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

I listen to beat in the car and sometimes in work,its not a bad station it plays music i like but the quality of presenters has dropped Andy Mac and Darren Rice are the only ones i would call a DJ and Ray C but he left for WLR ,the rest are only teenagers or in there early 20's and to be honest they dont have a clue but im sure its a good experience for them and we all have to start somewhere..

Niall Power from Beat replied to a similar thread on here before and his response was spot on to be fair http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056680027&page=5

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭The Young Wan

I went to school with one of them newsreaders and to college with another. Let me tell you, they were both insufferable wagons.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,644 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

I went to school with one of them newsreaders and to college with another. Let me tell you, they were both insufferable wagons.

Classy comment

• Advertisement

I love Beat, especially Beat Breakfast with Niall, Vinny and Trish, it's lighthearted and the banter between the 3 of them cracks me up. I'm 39 by the way 😊

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

crazyb1tch wrote: »
    I love Beat, especially Beat Breakfast with Niall, Vinny and Trish, it's lighthearted and the banter between the 3 of them cracks me up. I'm 39 by the way 😊

That has to be the worst show they have on it. This agony aunt crap how is it seen as good radio at that time of day? The advice given out on it is terrible, they pretend they know what they are talking about......it's cringe worthy.

I'm 33 so I'm by no means an old man who loves listening to the news or is out of touch with modern music but beat truly is a rubbish station and that breakfast show is at the heart of the trash........Now off I go to listen to some lyric fm :D

obezyana wrote: »
    That has to be the worst show they have on it. This agony aunt crap how is it seen as good radio at that time of day? The advice given out on it is terrible, they pretend they know what they are talking about......it's cringe worthy.

I'm 33 so I'm by no means an old man who loves listening to the news or is out of touch with modern music but beat truly is a rubbish station and that breakfast show is at the heart of the trash........Now off I go to listen to some lyric fm :D

I've spent many an afternoon enjoying Lyric FM once The Anton Savage and Joe Duffy shows are over of course :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I'd sooner bite my ears off but then again I'm also way past their bed time so to speak.

If you want decent music there is a station just next door on the dial which is without a licence.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

It is what it is in my opinion. Nothing to be taken seriously. The only time I would listen really is if I'm going to Dublin on a Saturday to see my parents, moreso the show that includes all the sports updates. A bit of music (some of it ****e, mind) broken up by consistent sports updates. It's a grand car journey in my opinion.

One thing I do admire about them though is that they're not afraid to pull the trigger on new, local talent. You don't often hear about them bringing in a well-known name so to speak. It does seem very Waterford heavy though..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,766 ✭✭✭lertsnim

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Rte gold is my station

It's one of the best stations. It's a pity it's only online and DTT in this part of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,001 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

It does be on at work, and it's grand background noise. Old school Sundays are great. But, i haven't had a car with a working radio (literally radio, i listen to MP3's off a USB) in a long while, and honestly i don't miss it. I get to listen to what i want to hear.

Advertisement