Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying an iPhone 4

• 16-12-2015 3:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 121 ✭✭

Was thinking of getting an iPhone 4 as i need a phone and have seen some cheap ones around. I'm wondering tho is it hardly worth my while getting it. Does new apple software still works it? And are new apps still compatible with the iPhone 4.

Would it be better to just pay more and get a iPhone 5??

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 54,071 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Wouldn't bother with a 4. Doesn't support anything newer than iOS 7 and even at that iOS 7 is brutally slow on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 121 ✭✭AnMuinteoirOg

awec wrote: »
    Wouldn't bother with a 4. Doesn't support anything newer than iOS 7 and even at that iOS 7 is brutally slow on it.

Ya I was thinking that. I'll go with the 5 so if I do end up buying one. Thanks for that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Asmooh

I would go for 5s or 6 at least..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Can I hijack and ask whether a 5c should be ok for a while with the most recent IOS? It's for an older relation who would only have very light useage and a handful of apps so won't spend a fortune on a 6/6s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Asmooh

sillysocks wrote: »
    Can I hijack and ask whether a 5c should be ok for a while with the most recent IOS? It's for an older relation who would only have very light useage and a handful of apps so won't spend a fortune on a 6/6s.

iphone 5c is an 5 in a plastic case, nothing else, to compare: http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=5690&idPhone2=4910

It says upgradable till ios 9.2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 fouro

As Argos are selling refurbished 8GB iPhone 4s models I did a quick comparison (below) to the iPhone 5 model for some friends who were thinking of buying one. While both will run the current ios 9.2 some of the latest software features will be incompatible with the older hardware. 8GB leaves little spare for apps or photos once the ios has taken its 5GB allocation. If you are buying it only for apps then you are better off buying the latest 6th generation 16GB iTouch. If you are buying it for a phone then you are better off picking up a second hand iPhone 5 as others have said above. Apple really needs to stop making 16GB iPhone models and make 32GB the entry level model.

iPhone 4s v iPhone 5

Released Oct 2011 v Sept 2012

ios 5 to ios 9.2 v ios 6 to ios 9.2

Network 3G v 4G

Speed HSPA 14.4/5.76 Mbps v 42.5/5.76 Mbps

Size 3.5 inches v 4.0 inches

Chipset Apple A5 v A6

CPU dual-core 1Ghz v dual-core 1.3Ghz

Memory 512MB RAM v 1GB DDR2

Battery 1432mAh v 1440mAh

Primary Camera 8MP on both

Video 1080p @ 30fps

Secondary camera VGA 480p v 1.2MP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Dunny

I have a 2yr old 4s running 9.2

No probs at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 182 ✭✭Iopu

The screen size on the iphone 4 is tiny. And outdated now. Go with at least a 5.

Advertisement