Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Active phone required

Options
  • 16-12-2015 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Not sure if all this info is necessary but I'll post it anyway.

A family member recently ordered broadband with eir. They explained to the sales person that the phone line in their accommodation is inactive for an unknown period of time and the old number is unknown. They were told they 'probably wouldn't' need a phone line but if they did Eir would activate one. They have now called me to say they have received their modem but it's not working. They also do not fit in a letter box as they were assured on phone. It had to be signed for!

I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure a dsl phone line connection is required with eir?

Apologies if any of this is incorrect.

They are wrecking my head. Any tips on how to proceed? The quicker the better!

Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Whiskey Devil

I know the obvious answer is to contact eir but getting info on the phone can be frustrating.

Just need a rough idea of what they should ask for when contacting support and how long it will roughly take?

Thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭eir: Alan

Hi,

Not sure if all this info is necessary but I'll post it anyway.

A family member recently ordered broadband with eir. They explained to the sales person that the phone line in their accommodation is inactive for an unknown period of time and the old number is unknown. They were told they 'probably wouldn't' need a phone line but if they did Eir would activate one. They have now called me to say they have received their modem but it's not working. They also do not fit in a letter box as they were assured on phone. It had to be signed for!

I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure a dsl phone line connection is required with eir?

Apologies if any of this is incorrect.

They are wrecking my head. Any tips on how to proceed? The quicker the better!

Thanks for reading.
    Hi Whiskey Devil

Yes an active line would be required but in some cases they can be reactivated remotely and then a modem is sent out. The modem would always have to be signed and they certainly can't fit through the letterbox.

Feel free to PM me your family members order, account or land line number and I'll look in to it further,

Al

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Whiskey Devil

Thanks, Al.

I know it's a tough job you so it's not in anyway an attack.

Can a dead phone line be activated remotely? There is no dial tone? I just need the shortened version before explaining to the elder grinch. If not I have to explain that  an engineer is required.

Couple of notes. The modem was sent without activating any line and the letter box thing is what they were told.

Hope they are on commission!

Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭eir: Alan

Hi Whiskey Devil

Yes a dead line can be re-activated even if there was no dial tone - but once activated there should be a dial tone. In the event of a failed electronic entanglement and eir engineer will need to come out to complete the reactivation and the house.

I'm sorry to hear of the issues here but what they must do now is report this to accounts on free phone 1901 to advise the reactivation has not turned the line on and an engineer will be requested.

Thanks
    Al

Advertisement