Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Small Claims Court- do you have to pay the other sides fees if you lose?

• 16-12-2015 5:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭

I have always heard that the Small Claims Court offered an easy inexpensive way for consumers to avail of their statutory rights. However recently I heard that if you take a case and pay your 25 euro and lose that case you will have to pay the other sides costs. The other side will have to pay a solisitor to represent their interests so their costs could in theory be quite expensive.
    Anyone know if this is true or if the amount you would have to pay is capped?

It does make sense you'd be liable for their costs but I hadn't considered it before.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Neither side gets awarded costs in SCC, win or lose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I had costs awarded to me before, when the other side's solicitor asked for an adjournment. The judge was having none of it, awarded me the cost of my day, to be paid before the next sitting of the case.

But, you don't have to pay their costs (solicitors and such) if the judgement goes against you, normally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Paulw wrote: »
    I had costs awarded to me before, when the other side's solicitor asked for an adjournment. The judge was having none of it, awarded me the cost of my day, to be paid before the next sitting of the case.

But, you don't have to pay their costs (solicitors and such) if the judgement goes against you, normally.

Thank you, that was what I wanted to know. I heard Conor Pope on the radio saying you would have to pay their solicitors fee if it did not go in your favour which would be a huge barrier for a lot of people I would think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭haveringchick

Thank you, that was what I wanted to know. I heard Conor Pope on the radio saying you would have to pay their solicitors fee if it did not go in your favour which would be a huge barrier for a lot of people I would think.

I'd imagine you misunderstood Conor Pope
    If you instigated a SCC complaint and then for instance didn't turn up on the day with no prior notice or explanation and the defendants, so to speak, had brought a legal professional , then costs would be awarded against you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I'd imagine you misunderstood Conor Pope
    If you instigated a SCC complaint and then for instance didn't turn up on the day with no prior notice or explanation and the defendants, so to speak, had brought a legal professional , then costs would be awarded against you

I don't think I misheard him as a friend of mine who I had encouraged to take a small claims case heard it too and she initially asked me about it so I listened back then.
    But I am MUCH relieved to hear it was incorrect because I would have felt awful for encouraging someone into it if it were to backfire like that.
    Thanks for clarifying it! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

I thought the whole point of going to SCC was you didn't need to run up solicitor fees?
    Representation by a solicitor will take a sizeable wedge of any "small claim" awarded,making the whole thing pointless.
    Sit down and watch a couple of episodes of judge July!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,464 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Media consumer rights "experts" can be expected to make one massive cockup per show usually.

I thought the whole point of going to SCC was you didn't need to run up solicitor fees?
    Representation by a solicitor will take a sizeable wedge of any "small claim" awarded,making the whole thing pointless.
    Sit down and watch a couple of episodes of judge July!

You don't need a solicitor
    However, the defendent (so to speak) will often show up in court with legal representation
    Lots of big differences between SCC in the US and here. Lots
    Judge Judy is very entertaining but most of it is not applicable
    For example I cannot take my neighbor to SCC if her child keys my car
    The maximum payout here is &2000

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

I honestly have no idea how Conor Pope is lauded as some sort of consumer affairs expert. The man consistently gives misleading and down right false advice. It's infuriating :mad:

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,464 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I don't think I can beat the "of course you've a right to refund if you don't want the item, keep arguing and threatening them with court..." angle from one of them.

Another so called expert once suggested that people sue An Post in small claims for failing to deliver on the passport express guarantee.

Really??? Who was this genius?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Let's not go there, please. I'd rather we focussed on answering the question rather than heading off on tangents.

dudara

Advertisement