Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stuck in rut with guitar playing

• 16-12-2015 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi All,
    Have not posted here in years!!

Anyone here find they keep playing the same material over and over? I have been playing on an individual basis for a few years but never seem to progress my stlye ability or techinque. I love the guitar but Am board playing GNR type riffs over and over..

I dont have the time in life at the moment to Jam with other musicans, let alone find a few people to Jam with.... but want to dedicate my time to that next year.

What do you guys advise to progress individually? Any good set lists to start learning or training websites etc. I really want to learn new easy rock songs to learn different licks.

Right now im playing through my marshall dfx100 into headphones as have small kids. So am restricted with practise styles.

Arrhgghhh

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 slowhand1981

Try playing some rolling stones stuff like them or loath them it is by far the most fun to play and believe it or not there is a lot going on either on both guitars.
    You'll learn alot about your own playing too cos there is very little gain on amps to disguise mistakes. Turn it up to 10 right crack!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 CivilWAR07

Thanks a million and good suggestion.

Was also thinking a bit of AC/DC.

Another question is backing tracks, any good ones and where to find them?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 slowhand1981

My best advice on advancing would be GO CLEAN channel..... some of the best players in the world play country, jazz, blues , sucks I know except blues which is heaven for me but like I said before you cant hide mistakes on a clean channel.
    Try Dire Straits maybe....
    Backing tracks on you tube and convert audio to mp3 to put on your phone or whatever

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭Lazare

Can you play a pentatonic scale?

Nothing better than finding the key of a tune and jamming along/improvising.

Make up your own licks dude, nothing more satisfying.

Was in a similar position, stuck in a rut until I went down that path, now it never gets old.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 CivilWAR07

Lazare wrote: »
    Can you play a pentatonic scale?

Nothing better than finding the key of a tune and jamming along/improvising.

Make up your own licks dude, nothing more satisfying.

Was in a similar position, stuck in a rut until I went down that path, now it never gets old.

Great idea. Yes I can, love playing Scales. I guess im at the stage I need to jame with others.

Appreciate the feed back man and happy christmas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭Lazare

CivilWAR07 wrote: »
    Great idea. Yes I can, love playing Scales. I guess im at the stage I need to jame with others.

Appreciate the feed back man and happy christmas

Happy Christmas to you man :)

Jamming with others is obv awesome but the opportunities are few and far, for me anyway. Jamming along with tunes is the next best thing imo.

Don't know if you're into Van Morrison at all, but stick on Astral Weeks or T.B Sheets and jam along to that, most of it is Em. No better way to get you out of that rut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 147 ✭✭cork guitar player

My best advice on advancing would be GO CLEAN channel..... some of the best players in the world play country, jazz, blues , sucks I know except blues which is heaven for me but like I said before you cant hide mistakes on a clean channel.
    Try Dire Straits maybe....
    Backing tracks on you tube and convert audio to mp3 to put on your phone or whatever

This is the answer to everything guitar.

And dude, you really need to find a jam buddy, stick and add up for a bassist and jam out with some blues scales, nothing better in life ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭KeithTS

We all get stuck in a rut.
    My two pieces of advioce I give everybody:
    1 - listen to something new, a little inspiration goes a long way.
    2 - Get a loop pedal, throw down a riff or progression and play over it. You'll learn more about scales, how and why they work, in half an hour than you ever would from a book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭KeithTS

We all get stuck in a rut.
    My two pieces of advioce I give everybody:
    1 - listen to something new, a little inspiration goes a long way.
    2 - Get a loop pedal, throw down a riff or progression and play over it. You'll learn more about scales, how and why they work, in half an hour than you ever would from a book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

Some different advice from me - pick a solo that you love, break it down into small chunks, and learn it, note for note. If you mostly play GnR, then pick something else. Maybe a solo you've heard a thousand times but never played, Stairway to Heaven, Comfortably Numb etc. It may seem daunting at first, and it will take a while, but if you take it slowly in small enough pieces you can do it.

After that, you might find yourself playing GnR riffs and Pink Floyd riffs, rather than just GnR. Then do it again, maybe your playing will be GnR mixed with Floyd mixed with Zeppelin, or SRV, or whatever. Learning from lots of guitarists of your choosing will define your own style.

• Advertisement
Advertisement