Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommended face moisturiser / hair shampoo for dry skin?

• 16-12-2015 7:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

I've always had dry enough skin on my face and scalp. Over the years used a good few different face moisturiser's and hair shampoos (including the great head and shoulders :rolleyes: ) but none really worked properly.

Anyone on here have any recommendations? Really gets on your nerves after a while :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Nizoral shampoo. My head and face has always been the same, i had a shaved head for years because of it so i could put cream and stuff on to keep it under control but my mother who works in health care was rold by a colleague to gwt this for me. That was about 2 years ago now and i haven't had to use any cream or anything else since, i **** you not! I use it in my beard too and my face has cleared up too!

Its a small bottle and costs €15 but it lasts me about 3 months, seriously cannot recommend it enough

http://m.boots.com/h5/cat_hub?unCountry=uk&path=/en/Nizoral-Dandruff-Shampoo-100-ml_11359/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭.red.

Nizorol is good for the scalp. Seems expensive, €15/16 for a small bottle but lasts ages. Its only available in a pharmacy. Use it every 2/3 days for about 2 weeks then once a week after that and really scratch it into your scalp. Leave it on for 2/3 minutes. I use an ordinary anti dandruff shampoo on the other days. I find my hair feels really dry after it so use a conditioner on the days i use the nizorol.
    I dont use a face moisturiser so cant really help with that. Maybe ask in the chemist if you decide to try the nizorol.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭JohnPPP

aaakev wrote: »
    Nizoral shampoo. My head and face has always been the same, i had a shaved head for years because of it so i could put cream and stuff on to keep it under control but my mother who works in health care was rold by a colleague to gwt this for me. That was about 2 years ago now and i haven't had to use any cream or anything else since, i **** you not! I use it in my beard too and my face has cleared up too!

Its a small bottle and costs €15 but it lasts me about 3 months, seriously cannot recommend it enough

http://m.boots.com/h5/cat_hub?unCountry=uk&path=/en/Nizoral-Dandruff-Shampoo-100-ml_11359/

Balls. That's one of the ones I tried a good while back but gave up on. In saying that, I've seen plenty of good reviews of it. Maybe it's worth giving it another shot.

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

JohnPPP wrote: »
    Balls. That's one of the ones I tried a good while back but gave up on. In saying that, I've seen plenty of good reviews of it. Maybe it's worth giving it another shot.

Thanks.

Definitely give it another go, the trick with it is to use it every few days at first like red said and when its cleared up use it less. Stick with it! I feel your pain though man!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,652 ✭✭✭✭fits

nizoral is a medicated shampoo for dandruff. Do you have dandruff? I also dont think nizoral is the type of thing that should be used all the time.

I cant use regular shampoos. my scalp goes crazy. La roche posay kerium shampoo is what I use now and its fine. Its about 13 euro I think. they have a few different kinds, one might suit you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

You should really use an SPF moisturiser, as UV damage causes premature aging of the skin. I use a moisturizer with SPF as much as possible. But the chemicals in Sunscreen for some reason irritate my eyes and cause me to get sore eyes. So I tend to only wear it during the Summer or if I know I will be outside for more than 20 mins during the day.

I use these 2 Boots one without SPF when I know Ill barely be in the sun. They arent at all greasy and pretty good
    http://www.boots.ie/en/Boots-Essentials-Fragrance-Free-Moisturising-Cream-100ml_869558/
    http://www.boots.ie/en/Boots-Essentials-Cucumber-Moisturising-Cream-1-x-100ml_869591/

This one is really good if you have dry skin. Although it has no SPF
    http://www.boots.ie/en/Eucerin-Dry-Skin-Relief-Face-Cream-5-Urea-50ml_6765/

I use this one with SPF. It is pretty good
    http://www.boots.ie/en/Simple-Kind-To-Skin-Protecting-Light-Moisturiser-SPF-15-UVA-UVB-125ml_1381994/

Most importantly generally SPF in any face moisturizer is too low for being in the sun for a long period of time. The UV rays break down sunscreen, so you have to regularly top it up. So even if you get a face moisturiser with SPF, you will still need to use a moisturiser if you are on a beach etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Nizoral is good but the price is hard to justify.
    What conditioners do guys use? There's so many out there I've no idea what to buy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭GFT

I used to have the same problem OP. I now use Bulldog face wash (cannot speak highly enough of this stuff) and Aussie Moisture Shampoo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭mynameis905

GFT wrote: »
    I used to have the same problem OP. I now use Bulldog face wash (cannot speak highly enough of this stuff) and Aussie Moisture Shampoo.

I don't use face wash but I use the Bulldog sensitive moisturiser as an after shave balm and find it the best I've ever tried.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

GFT wrote: »

My girlfriend uses it and I borrowed it one time. Haven't looked back. Great stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭GFT

I don't use face wash but I use the Bulldog sensitive moisturiser as an after shave balm and find it the best I've ever tried.

Neither did I! Try it for a week once in the morning and evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 212 ✭✭wetlandsboy

Recently, I started using No 7 Face Scrub, followed by Clinique moisturizer. The latter is quite expensive (around €40), but is well worth it - it adsorbs into the skin, without any residual that you normally find with cheaper moisturizers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 davzo

Try E45 shampoo; it's available in boots. I've been trying to find the right shampoo for dry scalp/forehead for years and found that it worked best.

I use Clinique moisturiser as well. It's expensive but I only use a tiny amount and it really does work.
    I got dfi daily shampoo for Christmas, only used it once but I have a really flaky scalp so I hope it suit me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Philip Kingsley unscented shampoo for dry scalp.
    You can also get an exfoliator for your scalp if you need to lift any dry patches.
    For your skin, would need to know more. What are you using now? What condition is your skin in? Is it dry or dehydrated

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭owen85

I started going thin on top many years ago and decided to shave my head from there on in. I carried on using normal shampoo on my scalp but my now bare skin head could not deal with it. I tried a few dif things and listened to a lot of nonsense in skin care product shops...some of which I tried and found them to aggravate my skin both around the nose, forehead and scalp. In the end I decided it's all the chemicals , even the ones that say they are great for dry skin were causing problems. I got rid of all the products I had bought and now wash my face and head with e45 and the very odd time I use a cheap face wash from boots for dry sensitive skin. I don't use too hot water in the shower as I find the skin on my scalp is a bit dry / inflamed after. I don't use any other products now and when it comes time for Sun cream I use la Roche possay (spelling?). Skin has been fine for may years now apart from the odd bit of minor dryness...and all has been achieved for little mula

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Use Clarins for men it's like silk on your face

Use Clarins for men it's like silk on your face

It's good alright but I don't like the smell of it. No real reason, just a personal thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

Have had severe dry skin since I was very young.

Personally the biggest help was avoiding cow's milk and anything made from it.

As far as products, cold pressed (raw) coconut oil has been the only all over moisturizer that didn't results in spots within a week of it's use.

I use it on my skin, scalp and even in my ears.

After I shave I can have a a red rash and I found that if I used the coconut oil before bed, I could then shave with no sign of the inflamed skin rash.

As for Shampoo and Shower Gel, I use Jason which I buy in Nourish / Down to Earth in Dublin.

http://www.jasonnaturalcare.co.uk/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

Nivea for men.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Boardz Fiend

Natur Vital Hair Loss Shampoo - I'm not losing my hair however I have been using this shampoo for 2 years now and it really calms and moisturises my scalp like nothing else.
    Bulldog Anti-Aging Cream - Have been using it on my face for a few months now, works a charm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭kingshankly

KingBrian2 wrote: »
    Nivea for men.

Seriously? Personally think it's crap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

My girlfriend switched me on to Shiseido products and although they are pricey they really deliver. I use this one for my face and would highly recommend it.

http://www.amazon.com/Shiseido-Men-Moisturizing-Emulsion-Ounce/dp/B001B1OCS8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1451499954&sr=8-1&keywords=shiseido+men

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

newacc2015 wrote: »

This one is really good if you have dry skin. Although it has no SPF
    http://www.boots.ie/en/Eucerin-Dry-Skin-Relief-Face-Cream-5-Urea-50ml_6765/

This stuff is great. My skin is very dry and it's the only thing that works. It's also cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I think it's important to remember what works for 1, might not have the same effect for another's skin. Everybody's skin type and skin condition is different, so what might work for poster A (oily and dehydrated, with no sensitivity) could wreck havoc with poster B (very dry, very thin, sensitive).

Someone with oily skin recommending their favourite product could really dry out someone else's skin, leaving that person thinking oh this is crap, when in reality they might have just needed a different formulation.

Try before you buy, if you're spending a lot of money on something, make sure you get testers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Had similar issues and tried everything. Paid huge money for fancy creams that did absolutely nothing.

Now I just use Emulsifying Ointment and Pure Coconut Oil.

Much cheaper, more natural and far more effective for me anyway.

Definitely give them a try if you haven't already.

Emulsifying ointment is very thick. I use it on my body sometimes but for me it would be too thick to put on my face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

I use to have a dry itchy scalp and most shampoos seemed to dry it out more. So I found the best shampoo is no shampoo, hair and scalp have never been better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Gael23 wrote: »
    Emulsifying ointment is very thick. I use it on my body sometimes but for me it would be too thick to put on my face.

Yeah it can be. And the coconut oil is very oily. Silcocks base is very similar and as its more a cream then an ointment its probably more suitable for your face.

My hands are worst affected so I just leave a large tub of emulsifying ointment at each sink and use it as soap. I wash my scalp and face with it in the shower. It's perfect for that but I can certainly appreciate that not everyone would want to use it as a moisturiser.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Men's and Women's branding makes no difference.

For face cleanser I swear by Cetaphil.

It's a tossup between Aveeno or Simple for light moisturizers which are worth putting underneath the SPF.

For daily sun protection, I find Neutrogena SPF20 moisturizer is the best one out there for me. I find the others make my face as blotchy as hell if aint bad enough. Although I havnt tried the Eucerin products yet would like to know if they're any good?

Usually just following a skin care regime should sort out your dry skin. I used Nizoral in the past also, it's fairly good.

Advertisement