Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New build

Options
  • 16-12-2015 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭

Hi folks at that Time in my computer's life where while its as quick as it was when I first bought it, but as things start to evolve Im left thinking it maybe time to start a new one. I've had this one for 3 years and its been great but... Things are changing and I know in the near future I'm going to need more grunt.

1. What is your budget? €2000.00

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? image editing and retouching. Possibly some games.

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? No

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? other then mouse and keyboard.

5. Do you need a monitor? No

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? [1920x1080] [Asus PB287Q 28-Inch 4K ]

6. Do you need any of these peripherals?nope

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? Yes

8. How can you pay? [Bank Transfer Credit Card Laser

9. When are you purchasing? Nope over a period of time

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? I can build a computer but doing the Mobo set up I'm not overly confident

12. any key componants you need? DDR4, 6 or more cores, pcie ssd.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Do you really need 6 cores? Upgrading again in a few years might be better there.

Or will an i7 be grand?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Gehad_JoyRider

Do you really need 6 cores? Upgrading again in a few years might be better there.

Or will an i7 be grand?

I'm using Photoshop, light room and capture one and occasionally premier pro and after effects as well, but I think over all grunt for processing for larger files. I could be processing files up to 400mb thats RAW and saved as a .TIFF, So add on processing sixes could get big very easily its more so taking the next 3 to 4 years and how photography is going to change and presently changing so I feel, rather have it and not need it, then need it and not have it.

I've been using a fx 8350, for 3 years its been a really good, I know amd are bringing out something new but I go with intel... :) It really makes no difference other then the fact intel presently have mobos with ddr4 which I think could be very useful for the kinda work I do.

I'm open to suggestions.

built a pc here before got 3 years out of it but it time for a dedicated photography machine to :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Fair enough

Went a bit balls to the wall I think, weak GPU kept it down.

1 x Seagate Desktop HDD 2TB, SATA 6Gb/s (ST2000DM001)
    1 x Samsung SSD 850 Evo 250GB, SATA (MZ-75E250B)
    1 x Samsung SSD 950 Pro 256GB, M.2 (MZ-V5P256BW)
    1 x Intel Core i7-5820K, 6x 3.30GHz, boxed ohne Kühler (BX80648I75820K)
    1 x Crucial Ballistix Sport DIMM Kit 16GB, DDR4-2400, CL16-16-16 (BLS2C8G4D240FSA/BLS2K8G4D240FSA)
    1 x ASUS GTX750-DCSL-2GD5, GeForce GTX 750, 2GB GDDR5, DVI, HDMI, DisplayPort (90YV06X3-M0NA00)
    1 x ASRock X99 Extreme4 (90-MXGVL0-A0UAYZ)
    1 x Nanoxia Deep Silence 1 Rev. B schwarz, schallgedämmt (NXDS1BB)
    1 x EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750 750W ATX 2.3 (220-G2-0750-XR)

Threw a SATA and M.2 SSD in there, 16gb RAM, Hex Core CPU, good case, Semi Passive PSU and passive GPU.

Last two points are probably needless but feck it, nice to have. Give a shout about any changes you think of.

Total is a bit under €1400

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Are you a professional photographer?
    If so, the biggest thing you need but don't have in Digital's build is back-up. If you create media as a profession you need at least one back-up in PC (because it's not a case of if HDD failure happens - it will happen at some point) and preferably another back-up off-site (theft and fire are real things which happen).

Even if you're doing it as a hobby, a back-up HDD is the first thing you'd want to purchase once you have the base system built.
    Most content producers that didn't previously understand the importance of redundancy have at least one horror story that prompted them to get a back-up, whether it was losing work the day of a deadline or losing weeks/months/years of music or custom profiles and settings.

Back up. And use better HDDs like WD Reds.

Which GPU you get depends on what software you use. If you're mostly rendering in software that takes advantage of CUDA Nvidia is the way to go, some software chooses to use OpenCL and for those AMD is the way to go.
    I remember there being some Nvidia hoopla a while back about software not taking advantage of the 900 series but that it was mostly the fault of software devs not updating their programs from what they saw as solid builds based on using the 500-series GPUs. Whether or not your preffered application was affected or is still affected by that might be worth a search.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Gehad_JoyRider

Yes I make money and can say comfortably I'm a professional photographer. Your right back up is incredibly important, I couldn't agree with you more when it comes to back up. I think loosing content needs to be experienced before you truly respect how vital it is...

I'm more so concerned with the over all rig is the nuts and bolts. At this moment in time . For example I have an asus 990FX sabertooth R2.0 it has not missed a beat, its a fine mother board. I want reliability in the products of how the computer works

Thats why I'm concentrating, I've a tried tested method of backing up to a external hard drive, Cloud file storage.

I wont run raid because it can't be trusted, its why I'm interested in PCIE SSD I think having 1 hd for editing file storage would be insanely helpful, running the OS on another SSD would give me the best of booth worlds.

I back up to a current mechanical hard drive and as a secondary adobe cloud for storage. Once the job is finished, then I back up finished job to a separate external hd and live drive.

• Advertisement
Advertisement