Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currys PC World - Poor Customer Service

Options
  • 16-12-2015 8:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭

I wouldn't normally be one to complain, But I've been given a serious run around by Currys PC World. I'll be as concise as possible below.

Less than two years ago we purchased a desktop computer from Currys PC World in Swords. Around the end of October this year the computer started to give trouble. It would start and then restart before booting, and it would keep doing this. The only way to get it to stop was the unplug it. It might do this for a day or two then it would work normally.

Around the the start of November I called Currys PC World on 1890-400-001. I described the problem to the man on the phone, gave him the reference number on the receipt and told him I wanted a refund, repair or replacement. He told me that a repair would be X plus parts. I informed him that under EU directive 1999/44/EC I'm covered for two years. At which point he said "seen as you brought that up I've to read from a different script."

He couldn't find the script so put me onto his manager. His manager told me he'd get someone else to call me back as he wasn't quite familiar with the directive (which means the consumer is covered for 2 years, something they won't tell you over the phone and will try to sell you extra cover for).

After a lot and back and forth between myself and Currys PC World, I agreed to get an independent engineers report (which I'd be reimbursed for). I disputed needing a report as under the directive there is no burden of proof on the consumer with regard how the device was damaged. However I was growing impatient and felt this would speed up the process as I was getting nothing on the phone. They wanted a report that said that it wasn't the myself who damaged the computer (spilling coke on it etc).

I'm extremely busy and finding free time that overlapped with the opening hours of my local repair store took a lot of time. It took me about a month to bring the computer to an engineer and get a report.

On the 8th December I finally had the report and so mailed it over to Currys PC World as they had requested. Under the title SOGA - 3408149676 (Sale of goods act and my reference number).

I called the following day to follow up the email. This time I called 1890-818-575 (first number that came up when I searched for their customer services number). The girl on the other end of the phone asked for my reference number, I gave it to her and she knew who I was and the details of all of my correspondences with them. She told me I'd rang number and she'd transfer me. She tried but all the lines were busy. I requested she put in a request for a call back for me. She said she would.

I didn't receive a call back that day, so the next day I call 1890-400-001. This time when I gave my reference number I was told that he couldn't find my details and that they don't deal with Irish customers on this number. I was in a hurry to get out to work, so I didn't argue and put down the phone. I called again later and was told the same thing. At what point between my initial contact with them and now did they stop dealing with phone calls from Irish customers. I was told that the only way I could contact them was through email, and that it could take up to 7 working days for a reply.

I didn't have time to argue so I decided to just wait for contact through email.

Yesterday I missed a call from Currys PC World. They left a voicemail telling me that they had responded by email.

The take away from the email was: "it [the report] does not provide enough details on what the fault is and any costs of parts or services involved."

To paraphrase the report "the motherboard is damaged."

I was simply told to bring them a report which said I hadn't damaged the machine. I was told I'd be reimbursed for the report (provided I hadn't damaged the machine), and then they'd take it from me to repair it. I'm agog that they're still wanting me to jump through more hoops. If they were unsure about anything in the report they could have called the repair shop themselves, the number for the place is on the invoice I sent them!

I am absolutely disgusted. I really feel like I'm being given the run around. What should have been as simple as me bringing the computer to them, them determining whether I had damaged it or not, and then it being fixed, is instead just a huge headache. Really disappointed with the poor customer service. I'll never buy another product from Currys PC World again.

Apologies for the length, but I just needed to vent.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Not surprised to hear this. Dixon's seem to think they are exempt from Irish and EU laws the way they deal with complaints and repairs/returns.

I'd be inclined to just head straight for the Small Claims Court, as they seem to be giving you the run around. I've had similar experiences in the past, as have many others (just look at their trustpilot page!)

Details on the Small Claims process can be found here: http://www.courts.ie/Courts.ie/library3.nsf/pagecurrent/781D7D5227918A618025715C004CAEF3?opendocument

Best of luck with it. They truly are a woeful company to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Mick ah

Appreciate the advice.

Wasn't something I'd considered. But definitely would if this doesn't get resolved quickly.

I replied to the email they sent, would have loved to have gotten this sorted (or at least the computer sent off to them) before Christmas, not looking likely now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,954 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

A word to the wise too, do not buy online with them, if something goes wrong you are screwed there is literally no one to contact.

I bought something recently, I needed to contact someone about it. I wrote to their online customer service but for several days my mails were returned as their mailbox was full. Then I contacted the phone line to be told they can't access any details on Irish orders, I was given another contact email by them and they too had no access to Irish orders and told there is no one else who can access them. So basically , there was no one to talk to by any means. They ignored all my facebook messages too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

Why didnt you just bring it back to the shop. Do they not claim to "know how" to fix everything. Surely one of their technicians could have diagnosed the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Joseph

Ireland hasn't enacted the EU directive you mentioned because it would conflict with our consumer law and ours is apparently stronger than the directive (allowing up to 6 years, depending on circumstances). I would just go the SCC route.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭FionnK86

I've got a broken laptop, less than a year old which I purchased on the Curry's website. I thought i had the receipt but can't seem to find it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

FionnK86 wrote: »
    I've got a broken laptop, less than a year old which I purchased on the Curry's website. I thought i had the receipt but can't seem to find it :(
    Proof of purchase is only needed if the seller requires it.
    A debit/credit card statement showing the transaction will suffice. If you can provide other details such as an email showing your online order / reservation number they may also be able to check their own records to confirm you purchased it from them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

That EU directive is not applicable in Ireland, there is no two year cover period simply a six year limit of claims and the item has to last for a 'reasonable' time.

That aside (and it's been done to death here and in the Legal Discussions forum so do a search if you want more info) the easiest thing to do is simply take them to small claims court if they won't do anything for you in store. DSG have been a bunch of naughty little boys and girls for nigh on 20 years, how people still get suckered in... OP Buy from Amazon in future, cheaper and much better service.

Advertisement