Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

C E mark not on item

Options
  • 16-12-2015 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭

I am sorry this is probably in the wrong section so Mod please move/delete etc if needs be.

I recieved a gift today of an electrical item (hair straighting brush). I understand that the person who bought it for me bought it from a G**pon style site. O am super ary of buying electronic off the internet unless it is from retailer I am familar with so I have inspected this item.

I noticed that the there is a C E mark on the box of the item but not on the product itself, either on the main body of the plug. The items box says that t is dual voltage. The box also says it is made in PRC and 230v-50-60hz.

I know that I am probably being over caution but I thought that the C E mark should be on the product itself? Am I correct or just silly?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Appliances that involve heat are very seldom dual voltage. While the box says dual voltage, the indicator on the device doesn't agree if it says 230V - if it was dual voltage there would be a stated range of voltages along the lines of 100-230V which is probably what is stamped on your mobile phone or tablet charger.

PRC if you don't know is the People's Republic of China so you have every reason to be suspicious, unless it's a recognised brand name but even then it could be a fake since you didn't buy it from a trusted retailer. If they didn't even bother to print a fake 'CE' on the appliance itself then I would assume it's substandard i.e. crap and unsafe to use. The CE on the box is meaningless.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Snuffelkees

CE in itself doesn't say much. There is nothing to prevent manufacturers from putting a CE mark on their product. Other marks such as TUV mean they are tested beforehand by independent labs.

Especially with heat inducing electrical items you can't be too careful. Perhaps you can check the brand / product online?

Advertisement