Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Films made in Waterford.

Options
  • 16-12-2015 10:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭

I am an avid film fan, I am aware that a number of films have been made in Waterford or have had scenes shot in Waterford. From the top of my head I know that Stanley Kubrick's "Barry Lyndon" was made in Waterford as was the film "The Blue Max". I also heard St Alphonsus road was used in a few scenes in a British film from the 1990's

Anybody else know about any other films ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The McKenzie Break 1973 a POW themed drama was filmed in part on the "Copper Coast", as was Terror of Frankenstein (1976) which is easily the most accurate film version of the book - though a bit dull.

The TV series Jake's Progress was partially filmed in Dunmore as were scenes for a Maeve Binchy series Echoes I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

The McKenzie Break 1973 a POW themed drama was filmed in part on the "Copper Coast", as was Terror of Frankenstein (1976) which is easily the most accurate film version of the book - though a bit dull.

The TV series Jake's Progress was partially filmed in Dunmore as were scenes for a Maeve Binchy series Echoes I think.

You're correct about Maeve Binchy's echoes, It was filmed at the the building that was formerly a convent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

barry-lyndon.jpg

I'm almost certain this scene was made in Waterford. Parts of the film was shot on little Island, Looks very like it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

You're correct about Maeve Binchy's echoes, It was filmed at the the building that was formerly a convent.

When I was in school I remember watching filming taking place in Henrietta Street, I think it was for Echoes.

There was also a crime series filmed and set in Waterford about 10 or 15 years ago. Can’t think of the name of it but am sure it was based on a book written by a Waterford man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Waterford Courthouse was used for a film ...... in the 60s I think.

I cannot recall which film it was at the moment.

EDIT:
    This document might be of interest

http://snap.waterfordcoco.ie/collections/ebooks/104722/104722.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

boston kickout would be another

• Registered Users Posts: 29,384 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

some local theatre groups have made short films here to. apologies i really should have more info

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭navalus

Waterford Courthouse was used in the 1969 film "Lock up your daughters " .

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

I am an avid film fan, I am aware that a number of films have been made in Waterford or have had scenes shot in Waterford. From the top of my head I know that Stanley Kubrick's "Barry Lyndon" was made in Waterford as was the film "The Blue Max". I also heard St Alphonsus road was used in a few scenes in a British film from the 1990's

Anybody else know about any other films ?

Boston Kickout starring John Simm and Andrew Lincoln had some scenes filmed here, including on St Alphonse's road

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yt_AVxbKyE

Scenes shot in Waterford and locals used as extras.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭MentalMario

Somebody posted a link on Boards previously of Waterford bridge in a movie. It was an 80s or early 90s movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,348 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Somebody posted a link on Boards previously of Waterford bridge in a movie. It was an 80s or early 90s movie.

i think the bridge near youghal was used in the movie 'War of the buttons'

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭MentalMario

PTH2009 wrote: »
    i think the bridge near youghal was used in the movie 'War of the buttons'

Think that bridge is in West Cork, in Union Hall. Some film though.

About 30 seconds in, Rice bridge:

https://youtu.be/_TZoDAjWB1M?t=28s

• Registered Users Posts: 11 katanajay

Although not technically on Co Waterford land there was moby dick filmed in the bay by youghal. some of it would have been in the waters of co waterford area. :-) there was another film locals made and i was told it was on you tube but i cant seem to find it :-( it`s called "a friendly face" or something very close to that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

Set in Tramore but not filmed there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Whole program on Barry Lyndon film in Waterford

http://www.tg4.ie/ga/player/baile/?pid=4681991718001

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 214 ✭✭edbrez

James - Nothing But Love

Advertisement