Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dogs farting after food

• 16-12-2015 11:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭

Dogs are constantly farting after dinner. We have been using the same food all this time.
    Would the manufacturers have changed the food to cause this?

Comments

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,927 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Do your dogs scarf their food down? Sometimes if they wolf it down they take in air which leads to farts. Also if they're big dogs, elevating their bowl a bit can help with that.

We had a problem with excessive farting from our staff lab and when we set her bowl on a low windowsill (about half a foot) I noticed a big difference. That said, if the manufacturer has changed the formula it could be making the dogs gassy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭L1985

Actually we are having this problem with our lab as well-he is farting a lot lately.he farted so loudly the other evening he woke himself up which was quite funny. Not funny was the smell... We havnt changed his food but he deff eats his food too fast I'll try elevating the bowl any other ideas? He's after getting v bad and he wasn't that way before-nothing had changed with his diet.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,927 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Haha! Our dog farts audibly as well! I suppose the advantage is you get a warning before the stink hits!

There are bowls you can get that make the dogs eat more slowly, they've sorta got bits in that the dog has to eat around.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Toots wrote: »
    There are bowls you can get that make the dogs eat more slowly, they've sorta got bits in that the dog has to eat around.
    Or putting a tennis ball in the kibble can work as well if they don't figure out to remove it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Dunny

My Lab lets out the odd "loud fart" aswell and it startles her from her snooze. So funny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,069 ✭✭✭✭neris

Toots wrote: »
    Haha! Our dog farts audibly as well! I suppose the advantage is you get a warning before the stink hits!

we got one of those bowls for our lab whose a scoffer. Didnt work at all. Ours use to fart and stink after nicking cheese off the worktop. Stopped leaving cheese on the worktop and dog stopped farting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

You could try giving a spoon of natural yoghurt in their food. Raised bowls are a bit controversial as some people believe they can cause bloat(!).. I've always used raised bowls for Bailey and we rarely have any issues with him farting though - to the point he jumps up and looks at his bum in shock the odd time he does happen! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭ElKavo

What type of food are you feeding? Could well have something to do with that. Have you changed food lately or introduced something new to the diet / chew toys / treats?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Hillybilly4

Harrington's dog food - it's the only stuff that keeps our staffie's farting to an acceptable level. Have to import it via Amazon but it's sooooooo worth it! (It's the yucca, apparently).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭L1985

No nothing new has been introduced he has zero interest in chew toys( the other dog does )as well and to be honest he eats whatever he gets his paws on but that's nothing new. We are trying to stop him getting Human food (I know I know) but he is the most effective beggar you will ever meet. Been eating the same food for years it's just the past 5mths thefartings escalated. Might watch him more carefully and see if he is robbing somewhere we don't know about!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭ElKavo

L1985 wrote: »
    No nothing new has been introduced he has zero interest in chew toys( the other dog does )as well and to be honest he eats whatever he gets his paws on but that's nothing new. We are trying to stop him getting Human food (I know I know) but he is the most effective beggar you will ever meet. Been eating the same food for years it's just the past 5mths thefartings escalated. Might watch him more carefully and see if he is robbing somewhere we don't know about!!

Could the food you are feeding have had a changed or "improved" recipe? Is it a wet food / dry / raw? You would have to think that it is something that is going in one end that causes the gas at the other..

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭AryaStark

tk123 wrote: »
    You could try giving a spoon of natural yoghurt in their food. Raised bowls are a bit controversial as some people believe they can cause bloat(!).. I've always used raised bowls for Bailey and we rarely have any issues with him farting though - to the point he jumps up and looks at his bum in shock the odd time he does happen! :p

My dog Nymeria does the same! She is so funny anytime she farts she will jump up suspiciously looking around smelling the air behind her!!!

Advertisement