Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost on my way to success.

Options
  • 16-12-2015 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hello this is my first post on this this forum so if its in the wrong section just please move it to a different section .
    Ok so i will start by saying on who i am . Im 19 years old . i live in Ireland for around 8 years I just finished leaving cert and i have tried a course for a sport and personal trainer but after 3 months just realized its not for me , and now im looking for something different .
    Im interested in music and gaming . I create projects for rappers and play some games in my free time . Sometimes for a good few hours hah.
    Now after deciding on dropping out i really dont have much idea on what to do . I dont think music would get me through life evan though i like it . Same with gaming . There are jobs for game testing but i just dont know where to look for it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Don't dismiss something you have a passion for just because it's not a traditional career, have you a music skill or a desire to take a music related course?

Game testing might not be what you think it is, but game development and software development in general might be something to look into.

If you have the time now, take a few free online courses, see what appeals to you, there are hundreds for software development (I know I've been researching them myself) courses, some that can be done in a couple of days.

Try to find something you want to do and you enjoy doing, you might not know what it is now, so cast a wide net and take the time to research it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 xLANDRYNx

Thank you for your replay . I have a youtube channel . i make rap beats as i said i evan got 1 million views on one of them .
    Have you done any of the software development courses ? .

Yeah I did a while ago, I did java with thenewboston on YouTube and I looked at many more when I ran into trouble at certain points. It's worthwhile starting one to see if it's something the might interest you, you'll know after a short time if you like the challenge or not.
    I liked it once I got over the initial steep learning curve and liked it enough to start a degree in Software development, I'm in second year now.

If you are doing something that gets a million views on YouTube, you obviously have an aptitude for it so that might be something worth pursuing, unfortunately I have no idea about anything music related, but there is a music forum on here, so maybe post on it.

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

A college course which is IT related is the obvious choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,969 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

xLANDRYNx wrote: »
    I have a youtube channel . i make rap beats as i said i evan got 1 million views on one of them .

Have you got AdSense enabled for it? Might be a nice way to fund yourself thru a college course ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭RealistSpy

I would say for the moment focus on your youtube channel and use it to build your resume.
    Maybe even find a way to incorporate the music into a recorded gaming session then later videos of game modifications.

Senna wrote: »
    Yeah I did a while ago, I did java with thenewboston on YouTube and I looked at many more when I ran into trouble at certain points. It's worthwhile starting one to see if it's something the might interest you, you'll know after a short time if you like the challenge or not.
    I liked it once I got over the initial steep learning curve and liked it enough to start a degree in Software development, I'm in second year now.

If you are doing something that gets a million views on YouTube, you obviously have an aptitude for it so that might be something worth pursuing, unfortunately I have no idea about anything music related, but there is a music forum on here, so maybe post on it.

Good luck

ohh so you mean learn through youtube? its not an actual course ?:D

ohh so you mean learn through youtube? its not an actual course ?:D

Sorry should have been more clear, yes there are "tutorials" on YouTube where you follow video sessions on learning Java etc.
    Used them mostly to see if something will be of interest, if you like it, then you can pursue online or college courses on the topic.

Sorry should have been more clear, yes there are "tutorials" on YouTube where you follow video sessions on learning Java etc.
    Used them mostly to see if something will be of interest, if you like it, then you can pursue online or college courses on the topic.

Ohh i get it im gonna try it too :) thanks for advice :))

Senna do you know any simple programs for starters?

• Advertisement

Senna do you know any simple programs for starters?

It's like (is) learning a new language, so you start at the very beginning, you have to install some software on you computer, then your first program will be to have the computer right the words "Hello World" on your screen.
    Sounds simple, but that will probably take you a whole day, between setting up an environment and then writing your first time of code.

Follow these videos, introduction to java

https://www.thenewboston.com

Plus don't give you, you will run into so many problems, half the enjoyment is solving these very problems

thank you senna you really helped me :)

can you just close this or delete this ?

Advertisement