Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Tipperary GAA (Club and Intercounty) Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

Rasputin11 wrote: »
    I heard Donagh Maher could be starting ahead of Cahill, don't know is it injury related or just based on form, could be total nonsense either!!

Nonsense indeed

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭shauna17

I'm glad that Maher is back for tomorrow's game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

He must be back in form in training - How do you see the game going tomorrow? Do you think the weather will play a major part?

He must be back in form in training - How do you see the game going tomorrow? Do you think the weather will play a major part?

It could even up the playing field a little tbh. Morrissey is quite a talented full back tbf to him if inexperienced although if Limerick deploy a sweeper it will help him no end even against the mercurial Seamie. I expect us to come through by around 5-8 pts though

I don't know about 5 to 8 points - but, considering the awfulness of the weather and the new exciting talent in Limerick - I'd expect us to come through and grind it out. It'll be a day for workrate and grinding out a win - Limerick excel at that type of game. I'd expect a lot of big hits today with everything slowed down due to the wet ball and slippy conditions - it won't be pretty, but hopefully we come out the right side.

It will be interesting to see how our forwards in both lines operate - curious lack of space (apart, from Seamie). But, that won't be really tested until we face KK or Clare...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Ompala

Heard lots of people in my part of the world writing off Limerick coming into this one, seeing what happened us in 2013 and 2014 against them this doesn't fill me with great confidence. Lashing rain atm so expect this one to be close, think Tipp will grind it out.

Having said that hope I'm wrong and we bait Limerick :D Hon Tipp!

What a solid performance with 14 men. Couldn't fault any of the 14. Superb workrate. We would have won handy 15 v 15 I feel but we needed a test so perhaps the red worked out for the best. Shocked Limerick didn't play a sweeper especially with that inexperience they had but the red card meant we played against an extra defender whether we wanted to or not

Limerick did start with a sweeper - and kept that system for the first half - Although Condon was the sweeper first - I think they changed that to O'Grady. it took them awhile to abandoned it after the red...

Why? Because of the goals I think. They never felt comfortable and elected a conservative approach rather than attack the game. Breen's runs really scared them so they tried to plug those holes...

With Bubbles missing - It's a huge chance for Waterford...

Huge leadership from Noelie and Seamie in the forwards in the second half ... - Bonnar put in a good shift.

Brendan Maher very good

Barrett ad Padraic were excellent.

Barry was very good on a very good player.

Cahill improved greatly from the last day...as he always would.

Does anyone know how serious Ronan's injury is?

Limerick did start with a sweeper - and kept that system for the first half - Although Condon was the sweeper first - I think they changed that to O'Grady. it took them awhile to abandoned it after the red...

Are you sure? Because I made a point of looking at the poc outs and they were marking man for man. There seemed to be a lot of room back there until bubbles went off

• Advertisement

Yeah, I definitely counted seven early. I'm tempted to say it was before the first goal - could have been after.

Limerick paid John McGrath a huge compliment by Putting HIckey back on him

Are you sure? Because I made a point of looking at the poc outs and they were marking man for man. There seemed to be a lot of room back there until bubbles went off

Limerick had no sweeper, it was man to man before Bubbles saw red.

And Donagh Maher started instead of Cahill :):):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,073 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Is Seamie Callanan the first player to get a Ta (sorry this keyboard will not allow me to put in the fada).......... it was a puc fada, 65m. I would say a player taking a free in front of goal will always know if it is accurate !

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Xenophile wrote: »
    Is Seamie Callanan the first player to get a Ta (sorry this keyboard will not allow me to put in the fada).......... it was a puc fada, 65m. I would say a player taking a free in front of goal will always know if it is accurate !

Clare had one go to hawkeye that was given two weeks ago.

And Donagh Maher started instead of Cahill :):):):)

Doesn't change the fact that there was no sweeper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Doubt Limerick could afford to play a sweeper. Their forwards are poor enough without being up against an extra man at the back.

In fairness, that dosen't make sense. Limerick's two best players are in their forwards - Hannon and Dowling. It's their backs that need most help as evidenced within the first ten minutes. They really needed to try to plugs those gaps to stop Breen and Maher bombing through

Both sets of teams formations changed a lot throughout - Noel McGrath dropped very deep at times throughout the second half - often showing up ball in the half back line

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭robbiezero

In fairness, that dosen't make sense. Limerick's two best players are in their forwards - Hannon and Dowling. It's their backs that need most help as evidenced within the first ten minutes. They really needed to try to plugs those gaps to stop Breen and Maher bombing through

Both sets of teams formations changed a lot throughout - Noel McGrath dropped very deep at times throughout the second half - often showing up ball in the half back line

Neither of those players are anywhere near the level of the likes of Tipp, Waterford or even Clares main scoring forwards.

• Advertisement

Who will start instead of Bubbles? Niall O'Meara?

Cyril Farrell just said Limerick were sweeping...

Rasputin11 wrote: »
    Limerick had no sweeper, it was man to man before Bubbles saw red.

yeah i thought as much. I made a point of looking at the marking from the puck out on a few occasions and i was quite surprised. TJ struck me as a sort of in your face type of guy in terms of how he sets his teams up too. Did they even do a Kilkenny and drop a midfielder slightly back ala Conor Fogarty?

Surprised tbh especially when young Morrissey and the corner back were so raw. In one sense i do commend them for not resorting to such negativity but on the other i cannot fathom why they resisted the temptation if anything to help their younger players.

Very good test of Tipp today to respond to the red card.
    Backs played outstanding - will be annoyed by the late goal conceded, can't think of Limerick having any other shot on goal apart from that.
    Poor discipline from O Dwyer, he does have a track record of being rash.
    Limerick must be very be low after that, had an extra man for practically the whole match but clueless as to what to do with him.
    Reckon Forde or O Meara to come in for the final.

Yeah, the only thing is Limerick WERE using seven-man defence (often eve more as the two midfielders dropped back deep on the oppositon puck out) at different points. It was often very crowded. Particularly, at the beginning. I was in BLK124 in the O Rian stand - i had a perfect view of the Limerick half-back line and the formation of the backs...

Cyril Farrell just confirmed it on the Sunday Game too...

Sure, for the Bubbles red card - Lynch was one of the players back in the half back line - They took turns at it...

They set up very defensively at teh beginning - too defensively even. Inviting Tipp onto to them

Would you pick Forde or O'Meara?

Yeah, the only thing is Limerick WERE using seven-man defence (often eve more as the two midfielders dropped back deep on the oppositon puck out) at different points. It was often very crowded. Particularly, at the beginning. I was in BLK124 in the O Rian stand - i had a perfect view of the Limerick half-back line and the formation of the backs...

Cyril Farrell just confirmed it on the Sunday Game too...

Sure, for the Bubbles red card - Lynch was one of the players back in the half back line - They took turns at it...

They set up very defensively at teh beginning - too defensively even. Inviting Tipp onto to them

Really? :confused: i was in 125 myself not far away and if they were deploying 7 men then it was very very ineffective i must say.

If thats defensive then its the worst ive ever seen. We'd have obliterated them with 15 men. Perhaps its for the best we didnt because i think All ireland winning teams are built on tight games and adversity. Perhaps fate has thrown us a present at the expense of Bubbles.

For the next day id go with Forde as he is good for a score and can lay off a ball.

• Advertisement

Would you pick Forde or O'Meara?

I'd probably go for O Meara as I think he is a better ball winner
    Forde is more of a marksman to me, but Ryan seems to pick these based on lads in training so who knows maybe re jig the team and bring back Sean Curran?
    Interesting one to say the least

Well, doing it doesn't mean you're going to do it well...

Plenty of times it's blown up in Clare's face.

From my point of view, Limerick's use of the sweeper was more trying to implement the KK stranglehold style (KK don't use tactics!!!!!) than Clare's sitting bull in front of the inept full back. But, they obviously didn't do it well. Cork tried a sweeper too and it was awful. I think the Cork sitting-cull attempt was worse in ways.

Is the final in Limerick? - that tight pitch will suit Waterford and their system> I reckon? Bubbles was the difference between the sides last year...

I think Limerick's aging players over the last few years are falling away and there is too much of a gap to the inexperienced... - I think that could be the case for Waterford if they don't do something this year. Brick, Moran, and Connors have been around a long time (have played a lot of hurling)... might not be around much longer...

I think your right in terms of that Forde would be closer in type of hurler to Bubbles than O'Meara would be. But, O'Meara does seem to be ahead in the subbing pecking order at the moment... - we shall see... - no sign of Curran today...

Yeah, there's that argument for O'Meara over Forde...

how do you call the Munster Final?

Would it be more beneficial to Tipp to have extra game rather than the long lay off to the semis? Or, is it more important to have the confidence of winning the province?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Noel Connors is 26 and Kevin Moran 29... No plans for retirement yet I'd say lads

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭commonsense.

Would it be more beneficial to Tipp to have extra game rather than the long lay off to the semis? Or, is it more important to have the confidence of winning the province?

Losing Munster Final will mean 2 extra games I think (qualifier and quarter final)
    Winning Munster is a poison chalice. The 5 week break and playing only their third game v Galway last year cost ye. If Mick Ryan has any hurling sense, he'll throw the Munster final (I'm only half joking!!).

• Advertisement

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    Noel Connors is 26 and Kevin Moran 29... No plans for retirement yet I'd say lads

If they are drinking from the same spring as Tony Browne or Seamus Prendergast id doubt it somehow :D

Well, doing it doesn't mean you're going to do it well...

Plenty of times it's blown up in Clare's face.

From my point of view, Limerick's use of the sweeper was more trying to implement the KK stranglehold style (KK don't use tactics!!!!!) than Clare's sitting bull in front of the inept full back. But, they obviously didn't do it well. Cork tried a sweeper too and it was awful. I think the Cork sitting-cull attempt was worse in ways.

Is the final in Limerick?
    - that tight pitch will suit Waterford and their system> I reckon? Bubbles was the difference between the sides last year...

I think Limerick's aging players over the last few years are falling away and there is too much of a gap to the inexperienced... - I think that could be the case for Waterford if they don't do something this year. Brick, Moran, and Connors have been around a long time (have played a lot of hurling)... might not be around much longer...

I think your right in terms of that Forde would be closer in type of hurler to Bubbles than O'Meara would be. But, O'Meara does seem to be ahead in the subbing pecking order at the moment... - we shall see... - no sign of Curran today...

Waterford will want support and they will go for Thurles so long as they get extra gate. Hopefully common sense will prevail. Waterford would prefer Thurles geographically. Moving this game to Limerick would be the equivalent of making Dublin and Kildare play each other in Wexford

Yeah, there's that argument for O'Meara over Forde...

how do you call the Munster Final?

Would it be more beneficial to Tipp to have extra game rather than the long lay off to the semis? Or, is it more important to have the confidence of winning the province
    ?

For me, win first. Winning is a habit and if we can win a scrap all the better. Kilkenny have often negotiated the 5 week lay off in the past many the time so there is no reason why we shouldnt. A defeat in Tipp tends to create alot of negativity and while we are perhaps better with our backs to the wall as proved in 10 and 14, for me, the front door is always the best.

But, this is the Munster Council...

But, this is the Munster Council...

True.

TBF they did fix it for Thurles last year and the coffers were fairly full as a result. Politicians tend not to go with common sense though. It will probably be Killarney or Limerick ;)

Yeah, but they've a lot of hurling done...

Noel Connors is 26 ...wow, great news! He's ****e! (joking!)

Páirc Breathnach for the lads!

Páirc Breathnach for the lads!

Ha ha. best of luck to them adding another 25000 seats between this and July 10th...

Honestly though Waterford want Thurles and we will certainly not object to Thurles.... The only real opposition to this common sense would be that meglomaniac in Cork with his vanity dome which is currently out of action. I think Thurles will get the nod....Now nothing would surprise me but id be confident Semple will get the nod

Did anybody think Darren Gleeson tried to find John McGrath a bit too much?

What did people think of Quirke in the intermediate game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,119 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

good win today espically with 14 men for so long , would be great to see the last of the liam sheady trio ( michael ryan) win an all ireland this year , but there is a huge problem with tipp and wides at the moment that needs to be addressed , also i think ye could be in for a long day in limerick if the munster final is selected for there , the small field will suite waterfords tactics

• Advertisement

Did anybody think Darren Gleeson tried to find John McGrath a bit too much?

What did people think of Quirke in the intermediate game?

Quirke looked decent. Took a lovely point from a tight angle. Not enough ball went into him or Russell yesterday. Played a short game to often in unsuitable weather.

Tommy Nolan had an off day. He's young enough and may have been carrying a knock.

So long as Gleeson went long I have no qualms really. We coughed up 2 pts from his short ones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭Jack Killian

Poor game overall but the scoreline flattered Limerick.

Well done guys - ye only have to play / beat what's in front of ye, and ye did.

Signed,
    Limerick Supporter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭blue note

I think we'd be mad to give up home advantage for this game. We have a terrible record against tipp in thurles. I love going to matches there, but I'd rather travel the extra 45 minutes and have a better chance of winning.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,073 ✭✭✭Xenophile

blue note wrote: »
    I think we'd be mad to give up home advantage for this game. We have a terrible record against tipp in thurles. I love going to matches there, but I'd rather travel the extra 45 minutes and have a better chance of winning.

With all due respect you had better make that Two Hours, it will take at least 45 minutes for many to get through Tipperary Town. Terrible road from Cahir to Tipperary. If it is in Limerick and you are driving leave very early. On the other hand Irish Rail might put on a special and collect a lot of Tipp fans on route.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Is the final in Limerick? - that tight pitch will suit Waterford and their system> I reckon? Bubbles was the difference between the sides last year...

But, O'Meara does seem to be ahead in the subbing pecking order at the moment... - we shall see... - no sign of Curran today...

The pitch in Limerick is wider that Thurles.

Seanie Curran was injured the last two weeks and Forde has been carrying an injury as well. O'Meara to start with Forde brought in when the game loosens up would be my choice but a lot can change in 3 weeks and Mick Ryan doesn't seem to be afraid to make the big calls.

good win today espically with 14 men for so long , would be great to see the last of the liam sheady trio ( michael ryan) win an all ireland this year , but there is a huge problem with tipp and wides at the moment that needs to be addressed , also i think ye could be in for a long day in limerick if the munster final is selected for there , the small field will suite waterfords tactics

I'd love to know where this myth came from!

Wider? By how many meters?

Shortest major pitch in the country according to this:
    . "The Gaelic Grounds in Limerick is 137 by 82 metres; if factual it’s likely the shortest hurling pitch in the country."
    http://www.linemarking.ie/gaa-pitch-markings.html

I think Waterford shouldn't care too much about the pitch - they're attitude should be we will win it no matter where it is. That said, If I was manager, unbeknownst to the players, I'd be angling to have it in Limerick or any any other tight ground/stadium.

Wateford have had great days in Thurles too...

Wider? By how many meters?

Shortest major pitch in the country according to this:
    . "The Gaelic Grounds in Limerick is 137 by 82 metres; if factual it’s likely the shortest hurling pitch in the country."
    http://www.linemarking.ie/gaa-pitch-markings.html

Thurles is 145 by 80.

• Advertisement

Quirke looked to have the most hurling about him - caught ball, looked dangerous when he ran at the defence. The conditions were worse for the intermediate...

What did you make of Fox?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement