Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Tipperary GAA (Club and Intercounty) Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Quirke looked to have the most hurling about him - caught ball, looked dangerous when he ran at the defence. The conditions were worse for the intermediate...

What did you make of Fox?

Didn't make it in for the Intermediate myself but any time I have seen Quirke I have been massively impressed, looks a real prospect.

Quirke looked to have the most hurling about him - caught ball, looked dangerous when he ran at the defence. The conditions were worse for the intermediate...

What did you make of Fox?

Fox is an outstanding talent. There is very little between Barry Heffernan, Fox and Seamus Kennedy who are all round same age. Personally though I'd have Fox on that panel. Mick don't seem to see Bergin in his future plans. Granted he is 30 so can't have much more in him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Fox is an outstanding talent. There is very little between Barry Heffernan, Fox and Seamus Kennedy who are all round same age. Personally though I'd have Fox on that panel. Mick don't seem to see Bergin in his future plans. Granted he is 30 so can't have much more in him

I think he is useful half back cover at the moment, but I think his playing days are numbered bar an injury to one of the half back line. He is a great bit of stuff, but is a bit short of toe for anywhere outside half back line which unfortunately for him is our strongest line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,119 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

danganabu wrote: »
    I'd love to know where this myth came from!

limerick is a far smaller pitch to thurles , you can clearly see the shorter distance between both 65's to start with

limerick is a far smaller pitch to thurles , you can clearly see the shorter distance between both 65's to start with

It's shorter but wider the square foot is almost identical, Thurles looks bigger because its farther from the crowd.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

Supposedly, Semple is eight meters longer.... - Although on Wikipedia, Semple is listed as 145 by 90 (as opposed to 80 listed elsewhere)....I don't know how reliable that measuring is though.

Yeah, I'd have Fox in. I'd have Quirke in too. He seems to have more hurling and vision than Dan but I don't know about Quirke's level of speeed or work rate at senior. He's worth a look though.

When you look at KK - our half forward line is still a worry...I think we might have to look at John McGrath at wing forward and put Forde or O'Meara in the corner....

Tipperary will play Waterford in the Munster Senior Hurling Final on Sunday 10th July at 4 pm in the Gaelic Grounds Limerick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 903 ✭✭✭skaface

Hopefully we get a Big following from Waterford
    for this game, regardless of where it's on..
    Jesus lads, it's a Munster Final..
    We all know Limerick is a pain travel wise, compared to Thurles.. But time won't be bothering us if we win on the second week in July..
    Up the Deise :-)

Tipperary will play Waterford in the Munster Senior Hurling Final on Sunday 10th July at 4 pm in the Gaelic Grounds Limerick.

Good gracious above that's beyond beyond a retarded decision by the Munster Council but doesnt really surprise me i suppose at the end of the day. Full of politics and no common sense. A bomb in attendance would serve them right. I suppose JP stuck his oar in or something.

As the journalist once asked Don King in the 'Rumble in the Jungle' press conference... 'Zaire?, Why not Antartica Don?' :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭1eg0a3xv7b82of

i refuse to go to games in limerick. the whole day out is disappointing from getting to the stadium to the atmosphere.
    all senior county hurling matches in munster should be in thurles.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,073 ✭✭✭Xenophile

i refuse to go to games in limerick. the whole day out is disappointing from getting to the stadium to the atmosphere.

I agree all Munster Hurling Finals should be played in Thurles........................you have made your protest.............I feel the same way but I will go to the game ! Limerick does not have the atmosphere for a Munster Final !

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

Good gracious above that's beyond beyond a retarded decision by the Munster Council but doesnt really surprise me i suppose at the end of the day. Full of politics and no common sense. A bomb in attendance would serve them right. I suppose JP stuck his oar in or something.

As the journalist once asked Don King in the 'Rumble in the Jungle' press conference... 'Zaire?, Why not Antartica Don?' :pac:

Nothing to do with the Munster Council from what I have heard from the meeting, in the absence of a home/away agreement a provincial final cannot be played in one teams home ground without the consent of the other county, Waterford refused to come to Thurles, which in fairness is their right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭1eg0a3xv7b82of

Xenophile wrote: »
    I agree all Munster Hurling Finals should be played in Thurles........................you have made your protest.............I feel the same way but I will go to the game ! Limerick does not have the atmosphere for a Munster Final !

I was sick of going to the gaelic grounds to be have zero atmosphere inside/outside and for some reason an increased scum fan element.

To be honest id have no issue playing Clare or Limerick in Limerick in the interest of geographical fairness for supporters but playing Waterford there is utterly ludicrous and unnecessary. The teams that matter become an irrelevance though while some gombeen on the limerick co board gets his own way. Same shïte acting when the Frank-Dome is completed no doubt

Nothing to do with the Munster Council from what I have heard from the meeting, in the absence of a home/away agreement a provincial final cannot be played in one teams home ground without the consent of the other county, Waterford refused to come to Thurles, which in fairness is their right.

Pure stupidity from them. I can't imagine their players or supporters had any say in this and they would pick Thurles all day long. Idiot county board being stupid or perhaps our county board refusing to hand over a considerable chunk of the gates.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭blue note

Pure stupidity from them. I can't imagine their players or supporters had any say in this and they would pick Thurles all day long. Idiot county board being stupid or perhaps our county board refusing to hand over a considerable chunk of the gates.

I believe the team wanted Limerick. Giving up home advantage two years in a row was too much. And I'm a fan and would rather Limerick. And most of the fans I know would prefer Limerick. Thurles is handier, but we'll live!

Frank-Dome

Why not call it... Dome- De- Frank, I think it sounds better ! But there again I am a snob !

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

When are tickets going on sale?

blue note wrote: »
    I believe the team wanted Limerick. Giving up home advantage two years in a row was too much. And I'm a fan and would rather Limerick. And most of the fans I know would prefer Limerick. Thurles is handier, but we'll live!

Tipp players and the team play more often at the Gaelic grounds than Waterford with college hurling, etc. We'll have more supporters there too. Its risky from Waterford. I could understand wanting to switch to Cork should it have been available as its equidistant but Limerick is the far opposite end of Munster.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Tipp players and the team play more often at the Gaelic grounds than Waterford with college hurling, etc. We'll have more supporters there too. Its risky from Waterford. I could understand wanting to switch to Cork should it have been available as its equidistant but Limerick is the far opposite end of Munster.

Tipp would have more fans in Thurles anyway. Tipp just have more fans, it's a bigger county.

Not a big fan of Limerick, especially with the memories but sure look I suppose we'll have to get on with it. We weren't too bad there on the first day of the league last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 353 ✭✭liogairmhordain

I could understand wanting to switch to Cork should it have been available.

There would be no such thing as a "switch" to PUC if it was available because that's where Waterford-Tipp matches are played. I remember all too well the God-awful misery of 1989, 1995 and 2011 and better days like 1998, 2002 and 2004.
    The "switch" was to Thurles in 2009 and 2015 and to Limerick this year. Part of the reason some people were opposed to playing Tipp in Thurles in 2009 and 2015 was the suspicion that Tipp would start to feel entitled to have Tipp-Waterford games played there as the natural order of things. This year's choice of venue nips that in the bud nicely.
    If Waterford are drawn to play Tipp next year and PUC isn't ready, I suggest Killarney. The following year, Nowlan Park.

There would be no such thing as a "switch" to PUC if it was available because that's where Waterford-Tipp matches are played. I remember all too well the God-awful misery of 1989, 1995 and 2011 and better days like 1998, 2002 and 2004.
    The "switch" was to Thurles in 2009 and 2015 and to Limerick this year. Part of the reason some people were opposed to playing Tipp in Thurles in 2009 and 2015 was the suspicion that Tipp would start to feel entitled to have Tipp-Waterford games played there as the natural order of things. This year's choice of venue nips that in the bud nicely.
    If Waterford are drawn to play Tipp next year and PUC isn't ready, I suggest Killarney. The following year, Nowlan Park.

Killarney - never! The thoughts of any hurling game fixed for there aside from Tipp v Kerry in either code is utterly ludicrous. Dont get me wrong its a beautiful part of the world but no way on earth should any hurling game between the big 5 in Munster be held there and i include Tipp V Cork by that. The few occasions we played Cork there were bad enough. We didn't beat Cork in 87 because of Killarney but because we wanted it more on the day. It could have been played on the moon but the outcome would not have been different. Just like losing the virginity, just because it happened in Killarney doesnt mean you'll get to dip your wick there every weekend.

Nowlan Park is equidistant although its outside the province. tbh though its a convenient venue for me being from the KK border and Waterford fans are not far away either. I can understand that the fixture has to be played in Munster though. It just should be in the closest location. Waterford are gone all paranoid over the venue but i felt they had significant support in Thurles last year and got a whack of the gate for good measure. Whats the harm in that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

If Waterford win the munster final it will have justified the neutral venue

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    If Waterford win the munster final it will have justified the neutral venue

Waterford are every bit as capable of winning this game in Thurles and they wouldn't be putting their fans through unnecessary travel. This is the equivalent of Kildare telling Dublin we don't want to meet you in croker we'll play you in Wexford instead

Waterford are every bit as capable of winning this game in Thurles and they wouldn't be putting their fans through unnecessary travel. This is the equivalent of Kildare telling Dublin we don't want to meet you in croker we'll play you in Wexford instead

That debate happens all the time that Dublin should play in neutral venues or have home and away arrangements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

After the Munster final last year Brendan Maher said Tipp were determined not to lose on their home pitch. The venue obviously mattered to the team and Tipp used Thurles as motivation, it makes perfect sense for Waterford to take that away from them
    Going to Limerick sucks but it improves Waterfords chances by taking Tipp off the field they're used to. They would have been stupid to agree to Thurles.
    If Tipp are good enough they'll win and no one will care about where it was played

Killarney - never! The thoughts of any hurling game fixed for there aside from Tipp v Kerry in either code is utterly ludicrous. Dont get me wrong its a beautiful part of the world but no way on earth should any hurling game between the big 5 in Munster be held there and i include Tipp V Cork by that. The few occasions we played Cork there were bad enough. We didn't beat Cork in 87 because of Killarney but because we wanted it more on the day. It could have been played on the moon but the outcome would not have been different. Just like losing the virginity, just because it happened in Killarney doesnt mean you'll get to dip your wick there every weekend.

Cant agree with that at all tipp, the 87 replay was originally fixed for Cork and Tipp refused to travel so it was switched to Killarney, no way in hell we would have beaten them in the Pairc, it was the definition of a fortress, we didn't win there in over 70 years.

All this talk about the venue is hilarious tbh, I must check my map again because the way some people are reacting you would swear that Limerick was on a different continent.

• Advertisement

All this talk about the venue is hilarious tbh, I must check my map again because the way some people are reacting you would swear that Limerick was on a different continent.

Obviously it isn't but its unnecessary out of the way for a good few supporters. For a guy like yourself in north tipp its probably every bit as convenient as Thurles and your indifference is understandable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Limestone1

Nowlan Park is equidistant although its outside the province. tbh though its a convenient venue for me being from the KK border and Waterford fans are not far away either. I can understand that the fixture has to be played in Munster though. It just should be in the closest location. Waterford are gone all paranoid over the venue but i felt they had significant support in Thurles last year and got a whack of the gate for good measure. Whats the harm in that?

I wonder why Nolan Park is not an option? Aside from what happens on the pitch - Waterford folk have bad memories of getting home out of limerick from a league final v Galway in the early 2000s (i was back in Dublin eating my dinner whilst hearing from lads crawling through Tipp town - be great to have that level of crowd back!) .That won't help boost travelling support though giving home advantage to Tipp was generally viewed as a negative last year.

Limestone1 wrote: »
    I wonder why Nolan Park is not an option? Aside from what happens on the pitch - Waterford folk have bad memories of getting home out of limerick from a league final v Galway in the early 2000s (i was back in Dublin eating my dinner whilst hearing from lads crawling through Tipp town - be great to have that level of crowd back!) .That won't help boost travelling support though giving home advantage to Tipp was generally viewed as a negative last year.

Waterford lost last year due to their lack of forwards and their profligacy. The crowd had no impact because there was as much Decie there as there was Tipp. Waterford are every bit as familiar with Thurles as we are. I suppose it is a final so id be surprised if Waterford dont get a decent enough crowd given the fact they are pretty much contenders for the all ireland.

The reason Nolan isnt an option is because A its tiny with under 25k capacity and B because its outside of Munster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Waterford are every bit as familiar with Thurles as we are.

That's not true, home advantage is definitely worth a few points to us.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

Barry Heffernan going back in training with Tipp this week, Callanan didn't play today but they still bet Sars by 1-21 to 0-21.

Rasputin11 wrote: »
    Barry Heffernan going back in training with Tipp this week, Callanan didn't play today but they still bet Sars by 1-21 to 0-21.

Thats great to hear re Heffernan and actually its good to see someone challenging the Sars too. Ive nothing against them but the more strong teams that can win it the better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Callanan carrying a slight knock - hopefully he'll be fit for the final Sunday week.

Quad muscle injury

Shocked to hear about Barry Heffernan to be honest, really hope its not something that is regretted down the line, very hard for a young man like that to have to make a decision, hopefully a second and maybe third opinion were gotten and the original prognosis was an over reaction or at the very least an overly cautious one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Shocked to hear about Barry Heffernan to be honest, really hope its not something that is regretted down the line, very hard for a young man like that to have to make a decision, hopefully a second and maybe third opinion were gotten and the original prognosis was an over reaction or at the very least an overly cautious one.
    What type of injury did he have??

Charlie69 wrote: »
    What type of injury did he have??

Multiple concussions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

If they were all within a short time then the management would want to consider whether he'd be better off sitting out the rest of the season. The more concussions a player has the more susceptible they are to another one and the severity of them also seems to increase. Taking a layoff is often the best action

People around the world coming to visit this thread will hardly be informed that Tipperary Senior Footballers play Kerry in the Munster Final this coming Sunday in Killarney.

One way or another they still will have at least another day out in this year's All Ireland Championship.

Come on ye footballers ye have already inspired our hurlers this year.

Tipperary's best-known football figures says the county has traveled a huge distance in the last three decades.

Tommy Toomey, who's currently a senior selector, made his comments as the Premier County prepare to face Kerry in the Munster final this weekend.

Tipp secured their place in the provincial decider by beating Cork - their first championship victory over the Rebels since 1944.

Tommy has vivid memories of some of the difficult days in years gone by...

Tipp FM live commentary on the big match will begin at 1.30 on Sunday afternoon.

Tipperary last won this final in 1935 by beating Cork.
    Tipperary last beat Kerry in the final in 1920

Xenophile wrote: »
    Tipperary last won this final in 1935 by beating Cork.
    Tipperary last beat Kerry in the final in 1920

We should have won it back in 2002. We had Cork on the rack that day. There was also stanctiongate back in 1997 iirc and probably many more near misses that are before my own time.

I heard that Brian Gavin is ref for the Munster Final, yet to be confirmed on Gaa.ie though.

Whoever the ref is I'm sure both sides will be equally unhappy with him.

I don't want to insult Brian Galvin, but is he fit enough at this stage of his life to reffing an intercounty final?

He looks to be struggling to keep up the last few times I saw him...

I don't want to insult Brian Galvin, but is he fit enough at this stage of his life to reffing an intercounty final?

He looks to be struggling to keep up the last few times I saw him...

3 or 4 stone overweight I'd say but he's not the only ref on the panel carrying some condition. The tight pitch in Limerick will suit him.

Yeah, I couldn't care less what weight he has as long as he keeps wth play...

Tipperary GAA > Featured News > Electric Ireland Munster Minor Hurling Championship Semi-Final – Cork v Tipperary
    Electric Ireland Munster Minor Hurling Championship Semi-Final – Cork v Tipperary

Cork will play Tipperary in the Electric Ireland Munster Minor Hurling Championship Semi-Final on Thursday June 30th at 7:30pm in Pairc Ui Rinn.

Team News

Follow
    Tipperary GAA ✔ @TipperaryGAA
    Tipperary Minor Hurling team to play Cork announced http://ow.ly/TFMK301LK6X
    7:51 PM - 29 Jun 2016
    Photo published for Electric Ireland Munster Minor Hurling Championship Semi-Final – Cork v Tipperary - Tipperary GAA
    Electric Ireland Munster Minor Hurling Championship Semi-Final – Cork v Tipperary - Tipperary GAA
    Cork will play Tipperary in the Electric Ireland Munster Minor Hurling Championship Semi-Final on Thursday June 30th at 7:30pm in... Read More
    tipperary.gaa.ie
    14 14 Retweets 5 5 likes
    The Tipperary team to play Cork in the Electric Ireland Munster Minor Hurling Championship Semi-Final in Páirc Uí Rinn, at 7.30pm tomorrow night, June 30th has been announced by manager Liam Cahill.

The side shows two changes to that which lined out against Clare in the last round. In come Jake Morris and Colin English as Liam Cahill’s team continues in its bid to retain their Munster crown.

The team lines out as follows –

1. Ciarán Barrett – Clonmel Óg
    2. Killian O’Dwyer – Killenaule
    3. Michael Whelan – Carrick Davins
    4. Jerome Cahill – Kilruane MacDonaghs
    5. Gavin Dunne – Holycross-Ballycahill
    6. Brian McGrath (Capt.) – Loughmore-Castleiney
    7. Jake Morris – Nenagh Éire Óg
    8. Paddy Cadell – J.K. Brackens
    9. Ger Browne – Knockavilla Donaskeigh Kickhams
    10. Rian Doody – Cappawhite
    11. Mark Kehoe – Kilsheelan-Kilcash