Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Tipperary GAA (Club and Intercounty) Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Ompala

Ger Browne named under 21 player of the year last night at the awards ceremony in Dublin.
    Congrats to him, had a great campaign for us this year.

Moycarkey leading Burgess 0-07 to 0-06 in the Seamus O Riain Final.
    Not a classic by any means.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Ompala wrote: »
    Moycarkey leading Burgess 0-07 to 0-06 in the Seamus O Riain Final.
    Not a classic by any means.

Burgess won in the end, injury time winning point from Donagh Maher.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Burgess won in the end, injury time winning point from Donagh Maher.

Yes, say Moycarkey will have nightmares over that Burgess goal.

On to Nenagh and Clonoulty now.

Big shock there really thought nenagh would have too much for them.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

I wouldn't put up Nenagh as red hot faves. Nenagh have flattered to deceive on many occasions.

That was an exhausted Sars outfit.

Nenagh have a habit of getting caught and losing finals.

Clon seem to be hitting form at the right time.

I'd see it as a fifty fifty game.

If I was forced to put money on it, I'd put it on Clon. I think there is more togetherness and fight in Clon.

This is a huge chance for Nenagh - huge expectancy on them now and they usually don't deliver in such situations.

Both clubs have lost two county finals each within the last ten years.

Clon have won 3 of the 6 county finals they've made. Nenagh have won one of the five county finals they've been in.

As they say, maybe Nenagh are due one. I wouldn't put money on them anyway.

Called it.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Premierpride

Great shout in fairness to Evolving Tipperary....

Crazy how flat and gutless Nenagh seemed to be, especially when skippy Cleary suggested after the Sars win that nothing was won yet in the hope that complacency wouldnt set in, it obviously did. It would have been very hard to get to the same levels they got to 2 weeks ago but surely they expected a fight from Clonoulty. 'hard work beats talent when talent doesnt work hard' sums up the game yesterday and to top it off Clonoulty looked the better hurlers also.

John O Keefe was excellent, he might rethink his county career now that Mickey Cahill looks to have a long term injury and Barrett might not be in Sheedys plans.

Jake was off his game and struck the ball very poorly in the semi and again in the final, it seems like he might be another luxury player we will have to work into a system at county level. Dillon Quirke was abrasive in attack and looked like he has potential in the half forward line.

Interesting to note that 2 recent Tipperary panel members Sean Maher and John O Neill were not on the panel having played early rounds of the championship his year!! all things considered what an achievement for the club and for John Devane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Conor Sweeney named as football captain for next year

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 597 ✭✭✭clfy39tzve8njq

Tipperary Senior Hurling Management confirmed Liam Sheedy will work alongside Tommy Dunne(coach), Darragh Egan (coach), Cairbre O Caireallan (S and C) and Paddy O Brien (physio)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,073 ✭✭✭Xenophile

A little Background on Cairbre.

Cairbre Ó Cairealláin has left Arsenal to return to Belfast.
    The strength and conditioning coach for the Arsenal Women’s team joined the club in 2015 to work at the Hale End Academy.

He moved to the women’s team six months later.

“I spent three incredible years at Arsenal but now I’m going home to Belfast,” said Cairealláin to the Irish Independent supplement, ‘Seachtain’ (Irish for ‘week’). “[It was] superb with great people.”

Arsenal are already looking for a replacement for Cairealláin, advertising on site for an AWFC Assistant First Team/Academy Strength & Conditioning Coach (Consultant).

Cairealláin arrived at the club with a GAA background after obtaining a degree in sports science from the University of Limerick before training with the Adelaide Crows in Australia.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

How do you pronounce Cairbre phonetically?

Ancient Irish origin I presume.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭MilfordBud

How do you pronounce Cairbre phonetically?

Ancient Irish origin I presume.

Depending on what gaeltacht you are in but I'd pronounce it Carberra, have heard it pronounced more like Corbra also. His brother's name is Ainle, hurled Fitz with UL.

It's like the Irish for the Carbery region in Cork which comes from the Ui Chairbre tribe which would be ancient enough I suppose.

Is going to be living locally or travelling up and down from Belfast?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 597 ✭✭✭clfy39tzve8njq

Michael Ryan interview with Vincent Hogan. He believes the 2017 league final defeat to Galway was where it all started to unravel.

https://t.co/1RvOBml4Y3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,119 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

what chances would clonoulty/rosmore have in the munster championship , delighted listening to timmy hammersley , jhe gave an excellent interview after there win last week was a top hurler on the panel when tipp were strongest in 2010

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭robbiezero

what chances would clonoulty/rosmore have in the munster championship , delighted listening to timmy hammersley , jhe gave an excellent interview after there win last week was a top hurler on the panel when tipp were strongest in 2010

Great bit of stuff he is. Himself and John O'Keefe have been immense club hurlers in Tipp for the last 10 years.
    Hard to see em have any chance against the likes of Na Piarsaigh or Ballygunner. I'd say they are the weakest of the 5 county champions.
    Not a single inter-county panellist and I know its not all about that, but much as I hope they will surprise me, I can't see them winning a game in it.

Great spirit in that camp and underestimate them at your peril but i would think they will be up against the hot favourites for the all ireland along with possibly Ballyhale who had a fine win today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

bubbles and barrett are 2 players who have wasted their talent but saddest of all is neither will play for tipp again. too much trouble.

i read darragh egan is goalkeeping coach and dunne coach. 2 more reasons sheedy's tenure is not going to work. we need the best, not a goalkeeping coach who never played a competitive game for tipp in that position and a coach who has zero success in that role with tipp.

Both factually incorrect and completely irrelevant, well done!

Pogue eile wrote: »

Wasn't Egan sub goalkeeper when Tipp lost the Liam MacCarthy Cup after a replay - played in goal in the league.

Didn't Tommy Dunne coach the senior side to two senior Munsters and reached one All-Ireland final - that was lost - zero success indeed...

• Advertisement

Wasn't Egan sub goalkeeper when Tipp lost the Liam MacCarthy Cup after a replay - played in goal in the league.

Didn't Tommy Dunne coach the senior side to two senior Munsters and reached one All-Ireland final - that was lost - zero success indeed...

He was indeed and won an AI medal in 2010 as a forward. And anyone that knows anything about Tommy Dunne knows he is a top top notch coach, look at the improvement in Toom this year as an example. Egan is a selector who is doubling as the goalkeeping coach not the other way around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭1eg0a3xv7b82of

Pogue eile wrote: »

In what competitive game did Egan play in goals for tipp and why is it irrelevant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭1eg0a3xv7b82of

I see you have omitted 2012 What a coach indeed

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭MilfordBud

In what competitive game did Egan play in goals for tipp and why is it irrelevant

I don't know how you define competitive but he started two league games in 2014, v Dublin and Cork. Clean sheet first day v Dublin. League quarter final he conceded four and from memory he failed to rise a ball that was at his feet, may have got stuck in the ground and Cork got a goal from that. He played 2 league games the following year including v Offaly in the league quarter final.

I see you have omitted 2012 What a coach indeed

I didn't omit anything. You made several statements that were wrong. And I showed you why they were wrong.

He played league games in the goals and league and championship as a forward.

And a playing career is completly irellevant to the merits of a coach, Liam Sheedy for example only played 7 games over 11 years, Eamon O'Shea played a grand total of 4 games for Tipp.

You have clearly made your mind up that this will be a failed venture which says more about you than it does about the management team.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,073 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Best of luck to Moyle Rovers today in their game with Dr.Crokes.

A real pity about the venue though.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

Xenophile wrote: »
    Best of luck to Moyle Rovers today in their game with Dr.Crokes.

A real pity about the venue though.

No luck for Clonulty?

Clonoulty losing 2-13 to 0-5 at half time to Na Piarsaigh

Clonoulty getting some roasting

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

Clonoulty getting some roasting

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Moyle Rovers 0-05 Dr Crokes 2-08 half time

FT: Na Piarsaigh 3-22 Clonoulty/Rossmore 0-13

18 point defeat for clonoulty. Fair reflection on on the standards of our club championship.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

18 point defeat for clonoulty. Fair reflection on on the standards of our club championship.

To be fair i dont think Thurles would have lost by that margin in spite of their less then ideal year. Clonoulty on the other hand are a rural club probably still celebrating and met arguably the finest club side in Ireland today.

Amazing that Tipp didn't get their asses handed to them due to such a lack of primary possession.

Sheedy really needs to sort out that half forward line. He has a good track record in the past - let's see what happens. Be interesting to see what type of wing forward he looks for and finds

Who is the next John O'Brien, Gar Ryan, or Pat Kerwick? Who will be asked to be CF?

To be fair i dont think Thurles would have lost by that margin in spite of their less then ideal year. Clonoulty on the other hand are a rural club probably still celebrating and met arguably the finest club side in Ireland today.

you cant gauge the standard of the game in each county given how one team dose ,

a lot of teams will spend the entire winter celebrating a milestone championship win , N.A.P were untouched in limerick and are now very much a seasoned club team as are dr crokes in the football

normally when one team dominates its bad for a club championship so for a new team to be winning is only a sign of things improving

• Advertisement

i would never look into these stats , a number of the clare puck outs were taken short to full backs or half backs that often drove the ball down field and was dispossessed

as much as i like stats they never really give you a full insight into whats really going on

you also have to remember both limerick and clare had double the games tipp had , the stats also dont cover just how close tipp came to knocking clare out before losing themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

Have to feel for Clonoulty, winning the Tipp championship was a great achievement for them and they just came up against an exceptional side who have pretty much the pick of Limerick city

County Board made a huge mess of fixtures this year. Sars and Loughmore were the biggest casualities. Not to mention a lot of serious injuries suffered

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭lim4ev

Have to feel for Clonoulty, winning the Tipp championship was a great achievement for them and they just came up against an exceptional side who have pretty much the pick of Limerick city

No they do not!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

lim4ev wrote: »
    No they do not!!

C'mon they are the only senior team in the city,best facilities, who are the best hurlers out of 90k going to go to?

lim4ev wrote: »
    No they do not!!

they are not but they have a seriously massive pick in fairness

• Advertisement

i would never look into these stats , a number of the clare puck outs were taken short to full backs or half backs that often drove the ball down field and was dispossessed

as much as i like stats they never really give you a full insight into whats really going on

you also have to remember both limerick and clare had double the games tipp had , the stats also dont cover just how close tipp came to knocking clare out before losing themselves

The Tipp stats are significant to how Tipp unravelled this year. That's clear.

The Tipp stats are significant to how Tipp unravelled this year. That's clear.

no the mistake mike ryan made is he rotated his squad too much in both league and chamionship billy mccarthy"s shot not hit the post clare would have been out and tipp through to the munster final

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

no the mistake mike ryan made is he rotated his squad too much in both league and chamionship billy mccarthy"s shot not hit the post clare would have been out and tipp through to the munster final

I see what you’re getting at, stats can sometimes give a skewed picture, but it’d be silly to deny we had significant puck out issues. Were already clear by league final. The wonder was the ultimate margins were that tight given the structural issues tipp had. Guess there were a couple of factors why that was so. Jake Morris with the shot btw.

I see what you’re getting at, stats can sometimes give a skewed picture, but it’d be silly to deny we had significant puck out issues. Were already clear by league final. The wonder was the ultimate margins were that tight given the structural issues tipp had. Guess there were a couple of factors why that was so. Jake Morris with the shot btw.

good man i prefer not to remember that game it was torture to watch at the time it was literally win or bust

but in fairness both clare and limerick went a lot shorter with there puck outs then the stats would image would suggest if you go by that post its not accurate enough to sum up tipperary's season

but yeah it was a problem for ye , but the selection process was worse by mike ryan , i think he made 13 changes in 4 games in the munster championship in terms of starters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

good man i prefer not to remember that game it was torture to watch at the time it was literally win or bust

but in fairness both clare and limerick went a lot shorter with there puck outs then the stats would image would suggest if you go by that post its not accurate enough to sum up tipperary's season

but yeah it was a problem for ye , but the selection process was worse by mike ryan , i think he made 13 changes in 4 games in the munster championship in terms of starters

That’s absolutely true about the selection issues. A lot of people spent the year wondering and scratching their heads as to where the logic was and I’m not sure anything very concrete emerged. Personally it’s the full back thing that stands out for me, mid june and we had no option, no plan b. Plugging fingers into dikes. Unforgivable really and, hopefully, soon ancient history!

I think it’s possible one issue fed into the other, in that it must be difficult to formulate a coherent game plan when there’s that much chopping and changing and with a rookie keeper to boot. The puck outs may well have suffered for that.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement