Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Tipperary GAA (Club and Intercounty) Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Crazy that this game is being played at this time of year.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭ready4liftoff

Crazy that this game is being played at this time of year.

They had no choice but to play this game and the Limerick v Kerry match on next Thursday in the Munster Hurling League before Christmas, as the Shannonsiders men are going on a well deserved team holiday very soon and won't be back in action until January 13th, that's of course if they qualify for the MHL final.

They had no choice but to play this game and the Limerick v Kerry match on next Thursday in the Munster Hurling League before Christmas, as the Shannonsiders men are going on a well deserved team holiday very soon and won't be back in action until January 13th, that's of course if they qualify for the MHL final.

I know but still season shouldn't be starting in December or even January.

Nice early penalty from Seamie, needs to stay injury free this year.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

I know but still season shouldn't be starting in December or even January.

Nice early penalty from Seamie, needs to stay injury free this year.

Absolutely correct Mantis. If I were Gaa president John Horan and those administrators who have control over the master fixture plan from an inter-county point of view, forget about these pre-season competitions. In fact there should be no inter-county matches of any kind including challenge matches post the conclusion of the All-Ireland championships until January 1st. I have a fair solution to this that I will explain but probably in a more general GAA thread in due course regarding the masters fixture plan that would put player welfare at the heart of it.

From a Tipp point of view its massive to see Seamus Callanan firing in the goals once again albeit its only December. As a Clare fan nothing more gives me the shivers than Callanan driving forward with his power and his great skill. An injury free Callanan is enough to worry any defense and if he is on song, the Premier County will have a major say for Liam McCarthy glory come August 2019.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

Any score?

Blondie919 wrote: »
    Any score?

2:17 - 4.14 tipp win.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

Heard Ronan Maher played better at midfield than on the forty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

2:17 - 4.14 tipp win.

Tipp the team to beat in 2019 it seems?

Amprodude wrote: »

Hahahaha Hardly! A lot of work to be done in the league before we can tell where Tipp are.

Limerick are the team to beat now.

• Advertisement

Is the Tipp match on television tonight anyone know ?

The Buff has captured some of the action on this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJsDk7RCqxs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

For all the teams who have to play them in 2019, yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Ompala

Great to see Seamie playing well, even if it is early days yet.
    Anyone there to comment on our puck outs? Be interested to see if Sheedy has tried to shake it up

Based on what??? A win in a relatively meaningless game on a cold December night? Id have no doubt Sheedy and co will bring something to the party but I won't open the champagne just yet. The real hurling begins in May

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Based on what??? A win in a relatively meaningless game on a cold December night? Id have no doubt Sheedy and co will bring something to the party but I won't open the champagne just yet. The real hurling begins in May

Exactly!
    And hopefully we treat the league like Galway/limerick have done.
    Can’t pay too much heed to games for these next few months

digzy wrote: »
    Exactly!
    And hopefully we treat the league like Galway/limerick have done.
    Can’t pay too much heed to games for these next few months

Crucial is how CB handle club games.

And the gap between league and championship has to be handled with care...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

Fez has some money raised via his Arctic Marathon, over 200k and counting. How's the Amanda Fund going? Are they hitting their targets?

Lads, I'd encourage every supporter to sign up to the supporters club if possible.

http://www.tippsupportersclub.com

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Tally Wager

Friends of Tipperary Football Membership open for 2019 , can be joined Online : www.friendsoftipperaryfootball.com/join/ !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭Paddico

The supporters groups should send out email reminders each year.
    Only for logging in here I forget totally

Tipp v Kerry

Barry Hogan
    Donagh Maher
    Padraic Maher
    Killian O'Dwyer
    Alan Flynn
    Seamus Kennedy
    Barry Heffernan
    Michael Breen
    Willie Connors
    Dan McCormack
    Noel McGrath
    Patrick Maher
    Mark Kehoe
    Jason Forde
    Jake Morris

• Advertisement

Munster Hurling League Result

Tipperary 4.20
    Kerry 1.14

Tipp through to Final

Brian McGrath was supposed to start corner back today - another time. Would like to see lads like him more involved at this time of year. Barry was supposed to start full back - interesting that Paudie was put in there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Didnt go but driving by McDoangh Park seemed to be decent enough crowd at the game
    Absolutely correct Mantis. If I were Gaa president John Horan and those administrators who have control over the master fixture plan from an inter-county point of view, forget about these pre-season competitions. In fact there should be no inter-county matches of any kind including challenge matches post the conclusion of the All-Ireland championships until January 1st. I have a fair solution to this that I will explain but probably in a more general GAA thread in due course regarding the masters fixture plan that would put player welfare at the heart of it.

From a Tipp point of view its massive to see Seamus Callanan firing in the goals once again albeit its only December. As a Clare fan nothing more gives me the shivers than Callanan driving forward with his power and his great skill. An injury free Callanan is enough to worry any defense and if he is on song, the Premier County will have a major say for Liam McCarthy glory come August 2019.
    Only saw this now. Would totally agree with this. Inter county season is possibly too long and hurling especially should be reducing the number of games played on heavy winter pitches not playing more at this time. Counties should be just playing friendlies or nothing at all now.

85 mins of hurling and still no separating John The Baptist Hospital and Thurles CBS in the Harty Cup 1/4 final. Latest score in this extraordinary encounter is:

John the Baptist Hospital 3-27 Thurles CBS 3-27 at HT in the second period of extra-time

85 mins of hurling and still no separating John The Baptist Hospital and Thurles CBS in the Harty Cup 1/4 final. Latest score in this extraordinary encounter is:

John the Baptist Hospital 3-27 Thurles CBS 3-27 at HT in the second period of extra-time
    Very tough going especially on heavy pitch this time of year
    Should really be some sort of method to decide ties earlier than this

And in other quarter
    CBC Cork beat CBS Nenagh 2-14 to 2-12

Very tough going especially on heavy pitch this time of year
    Should really be some sort of method to decide ties earlier than this

And in other quarter
    CBC Cork beat CBS Nenagh 2-14 to 2-12

And would you believe it, it has ended in a draw. 90 mins of hurling and still no separating them. Free-taking competition coming up!

John the Baptist 4-28 Thurles CBS 3-31.

You are 100% correct the lost sheep. This match should have gone to a replay after 60 mins. I don't think that no one would have complained of another day out if that scenario had played out.

Must be almost dark.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

And would you believe it, it has ended in a draw. 90 mins of hurling and still no separating them. Free-taking competition coming up!

John the Baptist 4-28 Thurles CBS 3-31.

You are 100% correct the lost sheep. This match should have gone to a replay after 60 mins. I don't think that no one would have complained of another day out if that scenario had played out.
    wouldnt agree with replay always as first option if game is level at full time.
    but think free taking/penalty competition should happen earlier say after the first extra time period or depending on competition/rush for next round to be played even after the 60 minutes of normal time

• Advertisement

wouldnt agree with replay always as first option if game is level at full time.
    but think free taking/penalty competition should happen earlier say after the first extra time period or depending on competition/rush for next round to be played even after the 60 minutes of normal time

If it was a senior or non-minor/U-20/21 competition then there should be extra-time, no problem about that. However these are minor players at the end of the day.

No free-taking competition and match goes to a replay.

Gone to a replay.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

If it was a senior or non-minor/U-20/21 competition then there should be extra-time, no problem about that. However these are minor players at the end of the day.

No free-taking competition and match goes to a replay.
    Why because they are minor players should replay always be first option? Why should under 20/21 be different?
    Reducing number of replays will help with burnout as will reducing number of games(small as they are) with 2/3 periods extra time.

Why because they are minor players should replay always be first option? Why should under 20/21 be different?
    Reducing number of replays will help with burnout as will reducing number of games(small as they are) with 2/3 periods extra time.

These lads are U-18 and clearly while S&C has improved in recent times, in fact I feel that many counties are over-obsessed about strength and conditioning lads especially in county development squads before they reach U-14 level (that debate for another day), their bodies are still not able for the demands of playing beyond 60 mins plus and that's not even taking into account weather and pitches, which are like a bog at this time of year.

I think the debate should be about the bravery and the quality of the hurling on show today between Hospital and Thurles CBS. For both teams to score a combined 7 goals and 59 points in 90 mins of hurling, is a credit to these heroic young warriors and they are a credit to themselves, their coaches, their teachers who have given up their time to produce these outstanding young men along with their parents, family and friends. The replay will probably will be the hottest ticket in town I feel!

These lads are U-18 and clearly while S&C has improved in recent times, in fact I feel that many counties are over-obsessed about strength and conditioning lads especially in county development squads before they reach U-14 level (that debate for another day), their bodies are still not able for the demands of playing beyond 60 mins plus and that's not even taking into account weather and pitches, which are like a bog at this time of year.

I think the debate should be about the bravery and the quality of the hurling on show today between Hospital and Thurles CBS. For both teams to score a combined 7 goals and 59 points in 90 mins of hurling, is a credit to these heroic young warriors and they are a credit to themselves, their coaches, their teachers who have given up their time to produce these outstanding young men along with their parents, family and friends. The replay will probably will be the hottest ticket in town I feel!
    They shouldnt have played 90 minutes in the first place and if going to replay have it that it happens straight after 60 minutes not after 3 periods of extra time.
    People wonder about burnout but this is a perfect example that doesnt help players. if you go to playing essentially a third half of hurling in extra time then the game should be decided on the day.
    Yes scoring 7-59 in 90 minutes on a day like today should be highlighted but it shouldnt have happened and if not going to replay there should be processes in place to decide games on the day and not simply extra time. like if level after 1 period of extra time or even normal time if competition is running over/delayed then you look at which side had most reds/yellows over course of game or who scored most goals.

I see Wooly Parkinson is throwing his toys out of his pram because he was set to interview Brian Hogan and Tipp management said he couldn't ask questions about Tipp! According to Wooly that is

I see Wooly Parkinson is throwing his toys out of his pram because he was set to interview Brian Hogan and Tipp management said he couldn't ask questions about Tipp! According to Wooly that is

Don't understand the whole media ban nonsense, why are we sending these lads out to media events and telling them they cannot talk about tipp hurling? Sure that's the reason they're there in the first page.

It doesn't work either, instead of a few column inches written about the event we're now getting half page write ups about the media ban. Increases the pressure on the lads imo. Surely its easy to go along to those events and give 5 or 6 generic answers and everyone's happy.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

It's true & it's not just Wooly Parkinson. All the media outlets yesterday picked up on it yesterday.

https://m.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/tipperary-goalkeeper-hogan-refused-permission-to-speak-about-tipperary-at-press-conference-37698149.html

Bit daft really, trotting players out for media events, but banning them from talking about the county they play for. Seamie Callanan found himself in a similar situation last year.

All it does is make the poor player look silly, piss off the sponsor & get the very kind of negative attention that the media ban was trying to avoid in the first place. Seems counter productive to me. Either have a blanket media ban in place, or have none. You can't be sending players out to do press conference, but then gagging them when they get there. That's just daft. A few bland "it's all about the process Marty" answers will send everyone home happy. Instead, they have a PR mess of their own making. Oh well...

ProudDUB wrote: »
    It's true & it's not just Wooly Parkinson. All the media outlets yesterday picked up on it yesterday.

https://m.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/tipperary-goalkeeper-hogan-refused-permission-to-speak-about-tipperary-at-press-conference-37698149.html

Bit daft really, trotting players out for media events, but banning them from talking about the county they play for. Seamie Callanan found himself in a similar situation last year.

All it does is make the poor player look silly, piss off the sponsor & get the very kind of negative attention that the media ban was trying to avoid in the first place. Seems counter productive to me. Either have a blanket media ban in place, or have none. You can't be sending players out to do press conference, but then gagging them when they get there. That's just daft. A few bland "it's all about the process Marty" answers will send everyone home happy. Instead, they have a PR mess of their own making. Oh well...

Exactly,

"Sure it's great to be back for the new season"

"Sure we're all just working hard in training Marty"

"Sure it's great to have Liam back involved"

"Shoulder to the wheel Marty we're just looking forward to the new season"

"Clare will be a huge test Marty, just pipped us last year"

Goodluck and thanks.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

It was at a promotional event for Higher Education Championships in Dublin.

It is nothing to do with Michael Ryan's ban. That was after a high-profile game in the middle of the season... - it wasn't much of a media ban either. HOw long did it last? A few days?

It's the media going crazy over nothing in slow season. Trying to make a story out of nothing. Especially people like Wooly who is not really a journalist and struggles to make content. I like his podcast but he goes in way over the top sometimes. That makes people relucant to talk to him or say too much to him at times.

Given that Teams have just been banned for training when they shouldn't be training and it's a current topic under the media microscope that Sheedy would want to protect a younger player from such questions is understandable.

Given that it's Higher Education Championships event why should the player be expected to answer Tipp questions...

Given that it's Higher Education Championships event why should the player be expected to answer Tipp questions...

He's there solely because he plays for Tipp, no other reason. Of course he's going to be asked about Tipp hurling in a q&a whether we like it or not.

By banning the media from asking about hurling is only going to create negative media. It's not as if he'll be giving away state secrets, generic answers will do. If lads aren't comfortable answering a few basic questions then someone else should be sent up. Only puts more pressure onto the players/team.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Given that Teams have just been banned for training when they shouldn't be training and it's a current topic under the media microscope that Sheedy would want to protect a younger player from such questions is understandable.

Because no one give a $hit about a Highter Education Championship and they want to read about it even less. Not compared to the intercounty scene anyway. He is only there and is only being interviewed, because he is a Tipp player, not because readers want to read about the new Biology building extension in UCD, or even the new crop of freshers that Jordanstown have this year. If the manager does not want his players exposed to the media, he is perfectly entitled to have that opinion. If he does, then enforce a complete media ban and let someone else take on media engagements. It's not fair on the players to let them do these events, but then put them in the awkward position of not being able to talk about the only thing that anyone there is remotely interested in talking to them about.

You're both being completely over the top and ludrious.

It's an event for the Higher Education Championships. Not a Tipp event.

I'm sure Brian Hogan is hiding under bed covers hahaha I'd say he cares! Or anyone! Apart from Wooly and yourselves of course!

Sure, it's a disgrace so it is so it is hahahahahaha

You're the one who first brought it up - and accused journalists of throwing their toys out of the pram - not me. I couldn't care less. So if anyone is over reacting, it is your good self.

• Advertisement

ProudDUB wrote: »
    You're the one who first brought it up - and accused journalists of throwing their toys out of the pram - not me. I couldn't care less. So if anyone is over reacting, it is your good self.

Yeah, my point is consistent. Look at your logic. You're taking my point and trying to turn them around. That's either classic trolling or a losing argument.

I said it was a silly point by Wooly at the time. And I haven't changed on that at all. What you're saying makes no sense.

You're the one who is siding with Wooly and saying media ban this and not sending out players to do that... - what are you on about?

I'd imagine it's the runners of the Higher Education Championship that want media questions on that championship and not other things. If they've any sense in trying to promote something they shouldn't be promoting other competitions or teams. Probably nothing to do with Tipp management.

You and other posters have missed the whole point. Tipp management are not sending him anywhere. This was a Higher Education Championship event... .

Surprised with Sheedy, he more than anyone should know how the media operate. Enforcing the ban will only incite rumours gossip and negative press.

Managing the media is quite important and by not engaging with the journalists has created a big hullabaloo over nothing. The other players from different counties had no problem speaking.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Yeah, my point is consistent. Look at your logic. You're taking my point and trying to turn them around. That's either classic trolling or a losing argument.

I said it was a silly point by Wooly at the time. And I haven't changed on that at all. What you're saying makes no sense.

You're the one who is siding with Wooly and saying media ban this and not sending out players to do that... - what are you on about?

I'd imagine it's the runners of the Higher Education Championship that want media questions on that championship and not other things. If they've any sense in trying to promote something they shouldn't be promoting other competitions or teams. Probably nothing to do with Tipp management.

You and other posters have missed the whole point. Tipp management are not sending him anywhere. This was a Higher Education Championship event... .

Wow. In just 3 posts, you've managed to say that Wooly is throwing his toys out of the pram and making silly points. Whereas I am (deep breath)....

- trolling
    - deliberately turning your points around
    - missing the point
    - losing the argument
    - saying something that makes no sense, so you don't know what I am on about
    - being ludicrious
    - going completely over the top

Have you considered turning off your computer and going for a nice long walk, instead of getting this wound up over a meaningless press conference in early January?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

I guess Sheedy is guarding against any inside information being freely circulated and against the risk of a stray word escaping. Personally don’t like these things though and didn’t think it would be his way. Might have his reasons but not sure much good ever came out of putting bans in place.

I’ve always thought Mick Ryan was a sound and intelligent man but there’s a reason his media ban only lasted a short time last summer. It was a spectacularly ill conceived move and predictably backfired on him very quickly. I still can’t fully grasp how any of the management thought that would advance their cause in any significant way.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

The usual sh1te with Tipp.

Always making life hard for themselves.

Very surprised with Sheedy, what benefit does he think this will do.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement