Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Tipperary GAA (Club and Intercounty) Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

Lads, what are ye on about?

Don't mind Wooly. Beyond dramatic.

THERE IS NO MEDIA BAN.

Sheedy did an interview with Marty Morrissey today for jesus sake...

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2019/0108/1022009-liam-sheedy-tipperary-had-some-ground-to-make-up/

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Wow. In just 3 posts, you've managed to say that Wooly is throwing his toys out of the pram and making silly points. Whereas I am (deep breath)....

- trolling
    - deliberately turning your points around
    - missing the point
    - losing the argument
    - saying something that makes no sense, so you don't know what I am on about
    - being ludicrious
    - going completely over the top

Have you considered turning off your computer and going for a nice long walk, instead of getting this wound up over a meaningless press conference in early January?

nice try. won't work! :)

The media ban continues - Tipp refuse to release team to media...

Oh wait, they don't. Here is it :);) :

The Tipperary Senior Hurling team to play Clare in the Munster League Final Sunday at 2pm in the Gaelic Grounds Limerick is

1 Barry Hogan
    2 Cathal Barrett
    3 Paudie Maher
    4 Donagh Maher
    5 Alan Flynn
    6 Seamus Kennedy
    7 Joe O Dwyer
    8 Willie Connors
    9 Michael Breen
    10 Jason Forde
    11 Bonner Maher
    12 Colin English
    13 Mark Kehoe
    14 Seamus Callanan
    15 Jake Morris

Substitutes

16. Brian Hogan
    17. Robert Byrne
    18. Cian Darcy
    19. Tom Fox
    20. Barry Heffernan
    21. Ronan Maher
    22. Mark McCarthy
    23. Dan McCormack
    24. Noel McGrath
    25. Killian O’Dwyer
    26. David Sweeney

Very happy to see Cathal back in the corner - hurts my soul to see Forde being asked to do a job at 10 (I thought we were all passed that now). But I guess Liam wants to see it and that's okay at this time of year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Surprisingly strong side for this time of the year

digzy wrote: »

Very strong side for Clare too:

Clare
    1. Donal Tuohy

2. Jason McCarthy
    3. David McInerney
    4. Rory Hayes

5. Aidan McCarthy
    6. Conor Cleary
    7. Cathal Malone

8. Shane Golden
    9. Tony Kelly

10. Diarmuid Ryan
    11. Niall Deasy
    12. Ryan Taylor

13. Colin Guilfoyle
    14. Cathal McInerney
    15. Michael O’Neill

Substitutes

16. Keith Hogan
    17. Gary Cooney
    18. Michael O’Malley
    19. Brian Corry
    20. Jack Browne
    21. Colm Galvin
    22. Ian Galvin
    23. David Conroy
    24. Rian Considine
    25. Podge Collins
    26. Jamie Shanahan

digzy wrote: »

Yeah, not much messing about there. Liam wants to win something - get the ball rolling. I'd imagine Clare are of the same mindset. Think i'll tip down to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 597 ✭✭✭clfy39tzve8njq

Is the tipp game on any channel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Is the tipp game on any channel

Only tipp fm afaik.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Ompala

Clare 2-05 Tipp 0-11 H/T

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Sheedy OUT!!!

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 597 ✭✭✭clfy39tzve8njq

Beaten by ten didn't hear commentary so don't know how we played

Buff Egan has highlights on Snapchat, judging from the Clare goals, I'd worry about the full back position and particularly having Paudie there. We also seemed to screw up some good goal chances.

But its 1 game in mid January so won't get too carried away either.

Early days but certainly a few things will need to be ironed on in the league.

Goalkeeper, full back, centre back, would be nice to have players nailed down for these positions heading into championship.

Half forward line - seems like we're saying this forever but would be nice to have a ball winning half forward line

Pace - badly exposed today and even more so when the ground hardens up. Need to inject pace all over the field.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Premierpride

Travelled to the game yesterday, Early in the season but 2nd Favorites to win the All Ireland seems a stretch, especially when you consider we have both Munster finalists away in the round robin this year!

Paudie is not a FB, continually contests critical ball around the square with the hand and has been caught out on several occasions giving away cheap goals, the first goal yesterday was criminal, give him the number 7 shirt and let him hurl out the field, if he cant keep up with the running games of Cork/Limerick/Clare then its obvious where the next move should be.

Forde was a touch of class yesterday and Mark Kehoe showed glimpses of quality scoring two from play and a turn of pace which is promising when you consider we have very little pace in the squad, he was hauled off early which was suprising when you consider how poor Seamie was at FF against Mcinerney. Donagh Maher played high up the field due to Clare playing 2 inside stacked one behind the other in both halves even though there was a strong breeze to contend with, he punched some good holes through the middle 3rd in the 2nd half.

Colin English won some nice ball in heavy conditions and made some good interceptions, he might be one for the middle 3rd of the field when things bunches up and you need dirty ball. Jake and Seamie are 2 luxury players who need some hard ground before they can be assessed it seems.

Flynn was good at wing back and Dan and Noel went well when introduced, Keeper might need to be revisited.

Interested in who followers think should be named captain? Personally I think it should be Noel

Noel McGrath for captain for me too.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Ompala wrote: »
    Buff Egan has highlights on Snapchat

Fair play to him for the highlights but his "catchphrases" are very annoying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Didn't expect Tipp to win yesterday as Clare are the form team but I did expect the game to be a lot closer than it was. Not good when a team is beaten by 10 points. It's early days but lots of work to do with the Tipp team if they are going to win the All Ireland this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 SWISSTONY1979

It is more the lack of game plan that worries me slightly. Was not at the game but from what I read it was lumping ball into the forwards as per last year with no tactics on show.Clare dropped men back and isolated Paudie at full back which worked a treat. Tis early days I hope to see a much improved performance in the league game on Saturday week. Bonner and Forde were the two big positives with English showing well also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭1eg0a3xv7b82of

whoever is made captain I think should be guaranteed a starting place.
    one of the first names on the team sheet.
    For me it comes down to 3 names, noel mcgrath , callinan and dan mccormack.
    I would give it to callinan with McCormack as vice captain.

This year will see alot of transition, I expect by our last game of the munster championship to see many new faces all over the field.
    Its going to be a tough year and i expect the last for many but it will be interesting to see how liam cahills boys go.

• Advertisement

looking at latest odds tipp are second favourites, even ahead of limerick. that is BS.
    i would have limerick, cork, clare, kilkenny and waterford ahead of us.
    we are slightly ahead of wexford.

There is a better chance of not getting out of Munster.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Is Bubbles on the panel ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

looking at latest odds tipp are second favourites, even ahead of limerick. that is BS.
    i would have limerick, cork, clare, kilkenny and waterford ahead of us.
    we are slightly ahead of wexford.

There is a better chance of not getting out of Munster.

The betting is very tight. Tipp are 9/2 (PP) with Cork, Limerick and KK lumped at 5s. Maybe Tipp should be slightly behind that group but I couldn’t have us behind Clare or Waterford. The bookies are obviously factoring in some improvement from last year on the basis of a new management team. Seems reasonable enough to me.

Of course it could all play out differently to the way the odds suggest. Munster last year was incredibly tight and while Limerick were impressive all ireland winners, going back to back is a tough task. They have to deal with that. Fascinating year in store again.

whoever is made captain I think should be guaranteed a starting place.
    one of the first names on the team sheet.
    For me it comes down to 3 names, noel mcgrath , callinan and dan mccormack.
    I would give it to callinan with McCormack as vice captain.

This year will see alot of transition, I expect by our last game of the munster championship to see many new faces all over the field.
    Its going to be a tough year and i expect the last for many but it will be interesting to see how liam cahills boys go.

Agree. Callanan would be my choice too. Loved the attitude he showed under duress last summer, hope to see a lot more of it before the year is out.

The betting is very tight. Tipp are 9/2 (PP) with Cork, Limerick and KK lumped at 5s. Maybe Tipp should be slightly behind that group but I couldn’t have us behind Clare or Waterford. The bookies are obviously factoring in some improvement from last year on the basis of a new management team. Seems reasonable enough to me.

Of course it could all play out differently to the way the odds suggest. Munster last year was incredibly tight and while Limerick were impressive all ireland winners, going back to back is a tough task. They have to deal with that. Fascinating year in store again.

I agree munster was tight and it could have easily been a clare cork all ireland final last year but I think Tipp could as easily regress further rather then improve.

for me, how 2019 fairs depends on what the new blood bring.

I agree munster was tight and it could have easily been a clare cork all ireland final last year but I think Tipp could as easily regress further rather then improve.

for me, how 2019 fairs depends on what the new blood bring.

We do have some nice young hurlers, all ireland winners to boot, but hard to know exactly what they can add this year. A fella like Keogh can bring guile and pace but looks light enough for the grade to me. Think there’s some sort of balance to be found with selection.

I wouldn’t be fooled by how tight the margins were last year as to Tipps worth. Thought it flattered us to a degree, just the pure heart of the players kept us in it. I’d definitely have enough faith in liam sheedy that we wouldn’t regress this year at least, whstever about winning anything. I’m hopeful but not hugely expectant.

• Advertisement

Less than a week to go, sounds like we still have a nice few issues to fix on the team. Full back is the big one for me that we need to solve, paudie is too prone to attack the ball each time, more liable to concede goals with him back there. Is James Barry still our best option back there? Don't want a repeat of Kennedy playing full back in Championship and not tried there once in the league.

Ompala wrote: »
    Less than a week to go, sounds like we still have a nice few issues to fix on the team. Full back is the big one for me that we need to solve, paudie is too prone to attack the ball each time, more liable to concede goals with him back there. Is James Barry still our best option back there? Don't want a repeat of Kennedy playing full back in Championship and not tried there once in the league.

Brian Mcgrath perhaps? Can Robert Byrne possibly play there?
    I think Mickey Whelan from Carrick could be also worth a try there.

Brian Mcgrath perhaps? Can Robert Byrne possibly play there?
    I think Mickey Whelan from Carrick could be also worth a try there.

All very young players so you would be cautious as they are probably a bit light yet, however all 3 of them seem well able to hurl so wouldn't be against it.
    Whoever it is at the end, we need to have 1 person identified by the end of the league. Also want to avoid continuously chopping & changing the team like last year. While its worth seeing how players fair in other positions, by the end we did not have an established team by any means. It hurt us badly in the championship and the league final vs Kilkenny.

Has the 40 man pre-season panel been cut for the league yet?

Feehan hasn't featured this year?

Any word on Billy McCarthy yet?

Brendan Maher might make one of the last few league games.

Thurles CBS 0-16

St John the Baptist, Hospital 0-11

• Advertisement

Has the 40 man pre-season panel been cut for the league yet?

Feehan hasn't featured this year?

Any word on Billy McCarthy yet?

Brendan Maher might make one of the last few league games.

Paudie Feehan joins his brother on the football panel. Im quite shocked to be honest i thought he was fantastic in the league last year and also at u21

Didn't think Feehan was great for the u21's last year but he was played out of position. Which might tell its own story.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Didn't think Feehan was great for the u21's last year but he was played out of position. Which might tell its own story.

I think his role was to stop his marker from hurling which to be fair he did with Kyle Hayes. Feehan is more suited to wing back

Paudie Feehan joins his brother on the football panel. Im quite shocked to be honest i thought he was fantastic in the league last year and also at u21

Part of me is happy to see the footballers get a decent prospect but a bit surprised if it’s the case that sheedy didn’t see a place for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Tally Wager

Unfortunately for our Football Team he is out with a broken Tibia and will probably be out until the Championship !

Unfortunately for our Football Team he is out with a broken Tibia and will probably be out until the Championship !

What a terrible run of injuries Tipp had last year and into this year.

Is Bubbles on the panel ?

John O’Dwyer is on the way back back from injury.

John McGrath is still a bit away from getting back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,073 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Brian McGrath will be the one to watch if we are looking for a leader this year.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

Terrible. When did he sustain this? Playing for the college?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Anybody want to be brave and try guess a team for the game v Clare ?

• Advertisement

Be my guest, please and thank you

I’m not brave I’m afraid so have to leave the field to others!
    If B McGrath was available though, he’d be in at 3 but I assume the college lads are out of bounds for the moment? Doubt huge amount of changes from Munster league games, ronan back at 6, maybe seamie and paidi left off, Dan in at midfield. Just guesses.

Tipperary players in the Fitzgibbon Cup:

Cork Institute of Technology (CIT) (3 players) – Andrew Coffey (Nenagh Éire Óg), Enda Heffernan (Clonoulty-Rossmore) and Eoin Barry (Killenaule)
    Dublin Institute of Technology (DIT) (1) – Patrick Maher (Lorrha-Dorrha)
    Garda College (6) Aidan Ryan (Thurles Sarsfields), Kevin Slattery (Gortnahoe-Glengoole), Joey O’Keeffe (Clonoulty-Rossmore), Martin McGrath (Drom & Inch), Michael Brislane (Toomevara) and Brian Kelly (Moyne-Templetuohy)
    Institute of Technology Carlow (2) – Tommy Nolan (Drom & Inch) and Jerry Kelly (Borris-Ileigh)
    Limerick Institute of Technology (LIT) (8) – Conn Bonnar (Cashel King Cormacs), Darren Moran (Kiladangan), Rian Doody (Cappawhite), Robert Byrnes (Portroe), Ronan Tucker (Burgess), Ruadhan Mulrooney (Portroe), Sean Ryan (Sean Treacy’s) and Stephen Flanagan (Holycross-Ballycahill)
    Mary Immaculate College, Limerick (12) – Craig Morgan and Darragh Peters (Kilruane MacDonaghs), Eoghan Ryan (Loughmore-Castleiney), Colin English (Fr. Sheehy’s), Ronan Bourke (Ballina), Ray McCormack (Borris-Ileigh), Philip Hickey (Nenagh Éire Óg), Kyle Peters (St. Mary’s), Niall Heffernan (Moycarkey-Borris), Conal Donovan (Arravale Rovers), Stephen O’Brien (Eire Óg Annacarty-Donohill) and Kevin Grace (Moyle Rovers)
    Maynooth University (4) – Emmet Moloney (Drom & Inch), Cathal Moloney and Conor Stakelum (Thurles Sarsfields) and Jack Fallon (Moycarkey-Borris)
    NUI Galway (3) – Conor Sheedy and Shane Fletcher (Roscrea) and Shane Hennessy (Nenagh Éire Óg)
    Trinity College Dublin (1) – Cormac Keating (Portroe)
    University College Cork (UCC) (3) – Killian O’Dwyer (Killenaule), Paddy Cadell (JK Brackens) and Mark Kehoe (Kilsheelan-Kilcash)
    University College Dublin (UCD) (6) – Brian Hogan (Lorrha-Dorrha), Diarmuid Ryan (Clonakenny), Michael Purcell and Rory Purcell (Thurles Sarsfields), Stephen Quirke (Moyle Rovers) and James Cleary (Kilruane MacDonaghs)
    University of Limerick (UL) (7) – Barry Hogan (Kiladangan), Brian McGrath (Loughmore-Castleiney), Jack Shelly (Mullinahone), Paul Maher (Kilsheelan-Kilcash), Cian Darcy (Kilruane MacDonaghs), Jake Morris (Nenagh Éire Óg) and Shane Neville (Lattin-Cullen)
    Waterford Institute of Technology (WIT Vikings) (5) – Delacy Byrne (Clonakenny), Kevin Hassett (Drom & Inch), Loughlin Ryan (Upperchurch-Drombane), Michael Whelan (Carrick Davins) and Padraic Hayes (Ballingarry)

Will be interesting to see who's full back. I'd put Cathal Barrett in there.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Will be interesting to see who's full back. I'd put Cathal Barrett in there.

Is the game evolved to an extent where teams are considering putting a full back in thats not specifically a physically imposing player, but a fast athletic player, in to counteract the new athletic type of full forward that is full of running? (ie. your John Flanagan, Aaron Gillane types)

Padraic Walsh being a prime example.

Tommy Walsh was discussing this evolution of sorts on Newstalk last year where he said where traditionally a 'stopper' type full back would be put in with the Tony Doran's of this world in mind, now it seems as the forward has become more athletic and forward lines have considerable amount of movement, that new thinking has to be implemented. Or perhaps im being a bit knee jerk here. But looking at Flanagan bring the much heralded Daithi Burke on a tour of Croke Park last year would make you wonder

I think so, very few teams are hitting high ball in. Most teams are running the ball now, especially clare and cork. Galway and kilkenny would be more direct. Munster hurling is all pace and something we really lack, the likes of paudie, Barry or McGrath in there will be targeted and exposed. Big decisions for Sheedy.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

I think so, very few teams are hitting high ball in. Most teams are running the ball now, especially clare and cork. Galway and kilkenny would be more direct. Munster hurling is all pace and something we really lack, the likes of paudie, Barry or McGrath in there will be targeted and exposed. Big decisions for Sheedy.

Kilkenny have the luxury of Wally Walsh and likewise Galway have Big Joe or Johnny Glynn so thats why direct is an option for them. Low ball suits Clare and Corks personnel better.

I think our forwards need to protect the full back more also and try and eliminate good quality ball going in on top of Barry. Seeing opposition wingbacks being able to look up and pick a runner or a target man is soul destroying

It’s a good topic. The whole dynamic has certainly changed, remember jackie tyrell writing about this in the times a couple of years ago and basically saying the old style, “hero” full back was a thing of the past.

But I’d be of the opinion that it doesn’t matter who you have on edge of square if you leave them so utterly exposed as james barry was that time. Cohesiveness across the back and further up field too is key to being solid in the centre and don’t believe we had that at certain times.

Still not sure who to hsve there but got to trust management have a plan. Not sure Seamus was the right choice for a gamble last year given his form wasn’t really that strong in his regular position to begin with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

Kilkenny have the luxury of Wally Walsh and likewise Galway have Big Joe or Johnny Glynn so thats why direct is an option for them. Low ball suits Clare and Corks personnel better.

I think our forwards need to protect the full back more also and try and eliminate good quality ball going in on top of Barry. Seeing opposition wingbacks being able to look up and pick a runner or a target man is soul destroying

But KK very rarely have Walter at full forward, for a big man he doesn't use his physicality very well. Whenever Barrett has marked him he's done extremely well because he simply bats any high ball and wins the break on the ground.

Problem with a Barrett type full back is that Johnny Glynn is incredibly good at holding off players under a dropping ball and not letting them bat it. If he catches it he will bully his way to goal then.

Luckily there aren't too many Glynn type players around so we should probably be focusing on speed more than size, for that reason i don't think Barry is the answer. Ironically Kennedy has a good mix of size and speed for the position but it was unfair to drop him into the position they way they did last year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Tally Wager

Terrible. When did he sustain this? Playing for the college?

Couple of months ago .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement