Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Tipperary GAA (Club and Intercounty) Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

I'll go out on a limb and say it anyway, I saw more than enough today to make me believe that Tipp will go a long way this summer. If management keep faith with that system of play - that began to click a bit in the second half- keep fine tuning that gameplan, we will be fine. Just need to get our best users of the ball delivering the ball into the forwards. Using the keeper, Ronan, Barrett, Barry, and Pauric, to get the ball to Noelie, Dan, John McGrath, and Brendan to put ball inside to the forwards. Working out systems of short puck outs, triangles, and runs that will make that happen. He is asking Forde to do that at the moment (it's a mistake).

He needs to get Seamie off the frees also - the gremlins are in his head on them now. He just needs a break.

Hope to see English, Browne, Killian, Darcy, and Kehoe get a full game against Cork.

I'll go out on a limb and say it anyway, I saw more than enough today to make me believe that Tipp will go a long way this summer. If management keep faith with that system of play - that began to click a bit in the second half- keep fine tuning that gameplan, we will be fine. Just need to get our best users of the ball delivering the ball into the forwards. Using the keeper, Ronan, Barrett, Barry, and Pauric, to get the ball to Noelie, Dan, John McGrath, and Brendan to put ball inside to the forwards. Working out systems of short puck outs, triangles, and runs that will make that happen. He is asking Forde to do that at the moment (it's a mistake).

He needs to get Seamie off the frees also - the gremlins are in his head on them now. He just needs a break.

Hope to see English, Browne, Killian, Darcy, and Kehoe get a full game against Cork.

Yep I agree with you 100% on everything. Never nice to lose even a toss to our nearest and dearest over the border but im satisfied that we are building nicely in the background. Our target this year is getting to Croke Park and after that, anything can happen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Puck outs were way better - and need to be better again. Showed he has the potential to be better. Good prospect.

Where they really though?

It seemed to be short to James Barry who then launched a ball down on top of the half forward line and 8/10 times kk backs came out with the ball, when Barry went short through the lines sometimes it worked but we looked uncomfortable and some soft turnovers happened.

The best teams who "play it through the lines" are prepared to run it from defense, our full back line just want to get rid of it as soon as possible though.

Another worrying performance I thought, we had a much stronger team out imo but same old failings seems to be happening. Cannot seem to beat kk in a close game, in fact most close games we seem to be loosing.

Not sure what the game plan is also and with only 1 game left before championship that's worrying. Callanan struggling with the frees, problem we have is while Forde is better from placed balls he's not guaranteed to start, for me I think Niall O'Meara offers more or even a fit bubbles.

I've said it before we're struggling big time with a lack of pace and Sheedy seems to be persisting with the tried and tested but with 4 games in 6 weeks it's a young man's game now. Gonna be a huge ask to get out of Munster again this year.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Definitely share some of the concerns. Had that grim foreboding a few minutes from time yesterday, when we were leading by the bare minimum, that here was another one gonna slip by us. Then a KK lad scoring one over his head (hawkeye on that one please!), winning no puck outs when we needed to, murphy trotting up to land two big ones....etc. Seem to still be losing the tight ones. Only human to be concerned about that.

We still have at least 2 games left, though, not one and still a chance of qf place, though not bothered if we don’t make it. If we keep adding a piece of the jigsaw by the game i think we might be in competitive shape come the summer. Fitzgibbon over now so no more distractions, Kehoe, Killian O’D etc fully available now and think i heard Sheedy quote that the injury situation was clearing up.

Puck outs were definitely better and there was a clearly visible plan to vary it up more between playing short and long. Bit of a conundrum still about Noel i think. Looks great in the middle but can he start there in a twin pairing? Maybe Dan alongside is worth looking at alright. Connors didn’t get to the pitch of the game at all yesterday but he’s better than that, msybe needs a free role in the forwards to be most effective.

We’re doing ok, munster hard to weigh up this year, not really confident or despondent, somewhere between. Ingredients are there but tricky to get the blend right i think.

Puck out stats according to tg4:

Tipp: 30. Took 16 short, 14 long. Overall we won 29 puck outs to KK 31.

Those figures don’t tell the whole story as a lot of the time with short ones it’s really the follow up delivery that counts. But i think they show an improvement or, at least, that management are working on it and will have a clear plan devised by summer when it matters.

Where they really though?

It seemed to be short to James Barry who then launched a ball down on top of the half forward line and 8/10 times kk backs came out with the ball, when Barry went short through the lines sometimes it worked but we looked uncomfortable and some soft turnovers happened.

The best teams who "play it through the lines" are prepared to run it from defense, our full back line just want to get rid of it as soon as possible though.

Another worrying performance I thought, we had a much stronger team out imo but same old failings seems to be happening. Cannot seem to beat kk in a close game, in fact most close games we seem to be loosing.

Not sure what the game plan is also and with only 1 game left before championship that's worrying. Callanan struggling with the frees, problem we have is while Forde is better from placed balls he's not guaranteed to start, for me I think Niall O'Meara offers more or even a fit bubbles.

I've said it before we're struggling big time with a lack of pace and Sheedy seems to be persisting with the tried and tested but with 4 games in 6 weeks it's a young man's game now. Gonna be a huge ask to get out of Munster again this year.

I'd disagree with almost everything there.

Yes, the puckouts were way better.

"looked uncomfortable" - that's what happens when you're trying to work on something new.

Forde has to start - our best all-around forward. Can do it all. He is being played out of position. The reason he is being asked to play out of position by successive management teams is because they clearly lack the faith in other players to do it. Callinan has not responded well to being captain and a nailed on starter - hasn't repaid the faith to Sheedy. I don't think the expectation sits well with Callinan. You need to give Seamie freedom to play and belief - that's what he talked about when he talks about O'Shea. Faith, captaincy, and expectation is a different thing. If you made Forde captain and 14 he'd thrive. Different character. Sheedy has got that wrong. I'd lke to believe he has the courage to change it. Forde needs to be inside. If we don't see him inside in the summer i'd be shocked. I think the way Seamie is going he might not start against Cork in the championship opener. He doesn' t deserve to at the moment. He got some great ball yesterday and was dispossessed. Being dropped might be the kick up the arse Seamie needs. But i'd take him off frees and let him workself into the game from center forward or wing forward or corner forward. Something needs to be done.

Breen played center forward for a good spell yesterday. They seem to be doing everything to get Breen in the 15. I understand why, Breen's hard running. Direct running. But he is not playing well. Breen needs to be off the shoulder of someone who can get the ball in into his hand so he can run. But his form is not good. Looks like a man who can't get it right. It might click yet but why pick him when he is not playing well? Ditto Callinan. I think the hope is, he will play himself into form like Bubbles yesterday. A patient game.

I've outlined what the gameplan is in another post - won't repost it.

We don't lack pace. We have problems against the likes of Cork and Clare when we play the Mahers shoulder to shoulder on the half back line. All teams have trouble with those teams pace. Playing Dan in midfield has solved that to a large extent before. But when we don't have Dan there we don't have a midfield pairing with the savy to protect the half back line. Too going forward orientated.

It's always hard to get out of Munster.

Yep I agree with you 100% on everything. Never nice to lose even a toss to our nearest and dearest over the border but im satisfied that we are building nicely in the background. Our target this year is getting to Croke Park and after that, anything can happen

Would you start Callinan and Breen against Cork?

Definitely share some of the concerns. Had that grim foreboding a few minutes from time yesterday, when we were leading by the bare minimum, that here was another one gonna slip by us. Then a KK lad scoring one over his head (hawkeye on that one please!), winning no puck outs when we needed to, murphy trotting up to land two big ones....etc. Seem to still be losing the tight ones. Only human to be concerned about that.

We still have at least 2 games left, though, not one and still a chance of qf place, though not bothered if we don’t make it. If we keep adding a piece of the jigsaw by the game i think we might be in competitive shape come the summer. Fitzgibbon over now so no more distractions, Kehoe, Killian O’D etc fully available now and think i heard Sheedy quote that the injury situation was clearing up.

Puck outs were definitely better and there was a clearly visible plan to vary it up more between playing short and long. Bit of a conundrum still about Noel i think. Looks great in the middle but can he start there in a twin pairing? Maybe Dan alongside is worth looking at alright. Connors didn’t get to the pitch of the game at all yesterday but he’s better than that, msybe needs a free role in the forwards to be most effective.

We’re doing ok, munster hard to weigh up this year, not really confident or despondent, somewhere between. Ingredients are there but tricky to get the blend right i think.

I think we might see Brendan at wing or center back yet if he can get fit in time. Then you might see Dan in midfield with Noelie. Has to be done i think.

Yeah, we have the relegation play-off when there is no relegation :pac::pac::pac::pac:

Some competition!!!!

Think it decides seeding for next year.

Who is our best cf?

Not one person pulled on the ball in the air yesterday? Or did I miss something? Not one broken hurl. That will change this summer. But who will break hurls for us at cf? It's badly needed. It might have to be Bonner. Why can't we have two Dans. Is it too much to ask for two Dans? :D I dream of a team of Dans.... :):pac:

I'd disagree with almost everything there.

Yes, the puckouts were way better.

"looked uncomfortable" - that's what happens when you're trying to work on something new.

Forde has to start - our best all-around forward. Can do it all. He is being played out of position. The reason he is being asked to play out of position by successive management teams is because they clearly lack the faith in other players to do it. Callinan has not responded well to being captain and a nailed on starter - hasn't repaid the faith to Sheedy. I don't think the expectation sits well with Callinan. You need to give Seamie freedom to play and belief - that's what he talked about when he talks about O'Shea. Faith, captaincy, and expectation is a different thing. If you made Forde captain and 14 he'd thrive. Different character. Sheedy has got that wrong. I'd lke to believe he has the courage to change it. Forde needs to be inside. If we don't see him inside in the summer i'd be shocked. I think the way Seamie is going he might not start against Cork in the championship opener. He doesn' t deserve to at the moment. He got some great ball yesterday and was dispossessed. Being dropped might be the kick up the arse Seamie needs. But i'd take him off frees and let him workself into the game from center forward or wing forward or corner forward. Something needs to be done.

Breen played center forward for a good spell yesterday. They seem to be doing everything to get Breen in the 15. I understand why, Breen's hard running. Direct running. But he is not playing well. Breen needs to be off the shoulder of someone who can get the ball in into his hand so he can run. But his form is not good. Looks like a man who can't get it right. It might click yet but why pick him when he is not playing well? Ditto Callinan. I think the hope is, he will play himself into form like Bubbles yesterday. A patient game.

I've outlined what the gameplan is in another post - won't repost it.

We don't lack pace. We have problems against the likes of Cork and Clare when we play the Mahers shoulder to shoulder on the half back line. All teams have trouble with those teams pace. Playing Dan in midfield has solved that to a large extent before. But when we don't have Dan there we don't have a midfield pairing with the savy to protect the half back line. Too going forward orientated.

It's always hard to get out of Munster.

I hope you're right, i'm finding it hard to be optimistic, the proof will be in the pudding as they say.

Edit: I don't agree that Forde is our best all round forward - for me his work rate is so so - he's poor at winning his own ball. He's average in the air, poor off the ball movement and he's slow - not pace to get away from a defender I thought he struggled yesterday. Improved when he went back the field. I wonder would he be an option out around the middle or half back line, he's very good when he gets loose ball.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

I hope you're right, i'm finding it hard to be optimistic, the proof will be in the pudding as they say.

Edit: I don't agree that Forde is our best all round forward - for me his work rate is so so - he's poor at winning his own ball. He's average in the air, poor off the ball movement and he's slow - not pace to get away from a defender I thought he struggled yesterday. Improved when he went back the field. I wonder would he be an option out around the middle or half back line, he's very good when he gets loose ball.

Couldn't disagree more about Forde. See last year's munster championship performances at 14. When all was crumbling around Forde he was consitency personified. A proven championship finisher in terms of goals, frees, and points from play. I think if you put O'Meara and one out of Callinan/Bonner/Kehoe beside him, he'd tear it up.

You're exactly right about the proof being in the pudding. But one thing I know with the vast majority of these players. They turn up when it matters. And even if struggling for form, most teams only beat them with the last few pucks of the ball if they manage to beat them. That point seems to go past a lot of posters on here.

• Advertisement

I think we might see Brendan at wing or center back yet if he can get fit in time. Then you might see Dan in midfield with Noelie. Has to be done i think.

Yeah, we have the relegation play-off when there is no relegation :pac::pac::pac::pac:

Some competition!!!!

Think it decides seeding for next year.

Who is our best cf?

Not one person pulled on the ball in the air yesterday? Or did I miss something? Not one broken hurl. That will change this summer. But who will break hurls for us at cf? It's badly needed. It might have to be Bonner. Why can't we have two Dans. Is it too much to ask for two Dans? :D I dream of a team of Dans.... :):pac:

I’d take 2 Dans as a compromise or, if I’m dealing with Jan Claude Juncker, i’ll happily settle with just the one fit one.

I recall NOM performing well at 11 for a spell in the 2017 league but i don’t want to be talking him up too much, he hasn’t done it in championship and maybe corner is best position anyway.

If seamie has to be moved then why not 11? If he wants to increase work rate why not get down and dirty there. I’d like to see Jason on edge of square too.

I think Jake and English could work there, but need to be tried. John McG too.

Do lads still pull overhead in general? Maybe disappearing altogether, like the ground stuff?

I’d have to disagree on Forde too mantis. Apart from his other qualities, I’m pretty confident about him fielding and winning ball, especially if he’s on edge of square which is where i think he wants to be.

I don’t exactly know what that would mean for seamie, but it is most definitely the right call to make for the next game and probably beyond as well.

I’d take 2 Dans as a compromise or, if I’m dealing with Jan Claude Juncker, i’ll happily settle with just the one fit one.

I recall NOM performing well at 11 for a spell in the 2017 league but i don’t want to be talking him up too much, he hasn’t done it in championship and maybe corner is best position anyway.

If seamie has to be moved then why not 11? If he wants to increase work rate why not get down and dirty there. I’d like to see Jason on edge of square too.

I think Jake and English could work there, but need to be tried. John McG too.

Do lads still pull overhead in general? Maybe disappearing altogether, like the ground stuff?

Seamie could 11. He could play anywhere in the 6.

Niall has yet to have a run in championship where he strings consistent performances. For sure. But he is looking to be coming of age now. Hope that holds out.

John McG has a pedigree of playing midfield and on the half line. His use of the ball is amazing. It should be utilised out further. He is also a player who outwills opponents.

Cork six was wearing timber against Limerick from the few clips i saw. Brought a championship fervour to it.

Barry, Brendan, and the Mahers don't spare timber come championship. We need more of that up front.

I’d have to disagree on Forde too mantis. Apart from his other qualities, I’m pretty confident about him fielding and winning ball, especially if he’s on edge of square which is where i think he wants to be.

I don’t exactly know what that would mean for seamie, but it is most definitely the right call to make for the next game and probably beyond as well.

well Sheedy seems to have nailed his colours to the mast on Seamie being the full forward therefore Forde needs to nail a spot down for himself. I've been impressed with O'Meara in the corner, has pace, can take his man on and can win his own ball so Forde is up against it imo.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Seamie could 11. He could play anywhere in the 6.

Niall has yet to have a run in championship where he strings consistent performances. For sure. But he is looking to be coming of age now. Hope that holds out.

John McG has a pedigree of playing midfield and on the half line. His use of the ball is amazing. It should be utilised out further. He is also a player who outwills opponents.

Cork six was wearing timber against Limerick from the few clips i saw. Brought a championship fervour to it.

Barry, Brendan, and the Mahers don't spare timber come championship. We need more of that up front.

Yes, good point. Been a bit concerned with tackling too. Niall had me tearing my hair out in frustration with a silly high one at a critical stage yesterday and Noel been a bit clumsy last few days. Gotta be better than that.

Didn’t see league Sunday yet. Got the tg4 coverage to watch today and, no disrespect to clare or wexford, but I’d prefer for cork match to have been second choice. We’re spoiled here as tipp matches seem to get the nod nearly everytime. As all ireland champs, limerick feel a bit aggrieved I’d say. Not complaining anyway!

well Sheedy seems to have nailed his colours to the mast on Seamie being the full forward therefore Forde needs to nail a spot down for himself. I've been impressed with O'Meara in the corner, has pace, can take his man on and can win his own ball so Forde is up against it imo.

You may well be right on that. As much as I and others rate Forde, it’s hard to be definitive about his immediate future in the team. If and when bubbles and John Mac get back to peak shape, some big name or names gonna have to sit out. Would be very harsh on forde in my book and still just don’t see it happening. Team for cork game tell us more. Seamie due a rest you’d think.

Would you start Callinan and Breen against Cork?

I suppose it would be no harm to have a bit of experience on the field to guide the youngsters, but overall im indifferent to the result we get in Flower Lodge on Sunday. We wont be relegated so id say just start mostly younglads with one or two experienced heads to help them out

I suppose it would be no harm to have a bit of experience on the field to guide the youngsters, but overall im indifferent to the result we get in Flower Lodge on Sunday. We wont be relegated so id say just start mostly younglads with one or two experienced heads to help them out

Will Philip Greene be on commentary :)

Will Philip Greene be on commentary :)

To paraphrase the man himself, the ball will go up into the Hibernian sky :D

My father often tells some funny ones of Philip Greene

"A lovely bed of Roses (proceeds to describe the rose bed for five minutes)..and the Bulgans have scored :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Tipp 77

Hello new to boards so apologies for making any obvious simple errors re posting or replying etc
    I was very frustrated leaving the stadium yesterday. Like previous posters said when we went two points up I thought we were going to drive on and win.
    I would take some positives from yesterday though.
    Paul Maher was very brave in his puckouts he backed himself to pass them into a Tipp man's hand who had plenty of Kilkenny men around him and he pulled it off. The trajectory of his puck outs is a lot lower than Brian Hogan's a bit like Gleesons ones.
    James Barry did a lot of good things yesterday. If we had a championship Full back line of himself and two of Joe Dwyer, Barrett and Flynn you feel a lot better about it than last year.
    Getting stability there would really strengthen us.
    Byrne has done well and deserves his place in the championship 15 and I'd leave him at wingback.
    But from 8 up we lack serious shape and are deficient in a lot of places.
    Like everyone else is saying JasonForde has to be in the full forward line and on the frees.
    Callinan had Delaney bet a few times in the first half but stopped or turned back inside instead of running straight and made a hero of him.
    The frees he missed shows where his confidence is and like other posters said is the captaincy a burden for him.
    Niall O'Meara has been very strong so has Noel McGrath. Yesterday was the sharpest I have seen Bubbles in a long time.
    If John McGrath can get right and Dan McCormack and Brendan Maher can come back close to their best then we have the answers to a lot of our problems.
    I'll be going down to Cork next Sunday if we put in a serious effort but don't end up making the quarters I'd be happy.
    We could get a lot of work done in March and April this year that we didn't get the chance to do last year

To paraphrase the man himself, the ball will go up into the Hibernian sky :D

My father often tells some funny ones of Philip Greene

"A lovely bed of Roses (proceeds to describe the rose bed for five minutes)..and the Bulgans have scored :D

Evokes sunday afternoons in glenmalure park for me. Listened to him for years and I’m still not sure I’d recognise him if you put a pic in front of me. Kind of soccer equivalent of mick dunne i think.

Tipp 77 wrote: »
    Hello new to boards so apologies for making any obvious simple errors re posting or replying etc
    I was very frustrated leaving the stadium yesterday. Like previous posters said when we went two points up I thought we were going to drive on and win.
    I would take some positives from yesterday though.
    Paul Maher was very brave in his puckouts he backed himself to pass them into a Tipp man's hand who had plenty of Kilkenny men around him and he pulled it off. The trajectory of his puck outs is a lot lower than Brian Hogan's a bit like Gleesons ones.
    James Barry did a lot of good things yesterday. If we had a championship Full back line of himself and two of Joe Dwyer, Barrett and Flynn you feel a lot better about it than last year.
    Getting stability there would really strengthen us.
    Byrne has done well and deserves his place in the championship 15 and I'd leave him at wingback.
    But from 8 up we lack serious shape and are deficient in a lot of places.
    Like everyone else is saying JasonForde has to be in the full forward line and on the frees.
    Callinan had Delaney bet a few times in the first half but stopped or turned back inside instead of running straight and made a hero of him.
    The frees he missed shows where his confidence is and like other posters said is the captaincy a burden for him.
    Niall O'Meara has been very strong so has Noel McGrath. Yesterday was the sharpest I have seen Bubbles in a long time.
    If John McGrath can get right and Dan McCormack and Brendan Maher can come back close to their best then we have the answers to a lot of our problems.
    I'll be going down to Cork next Sunday if we put in a serious effort but don't end up making the quarters I'd be happy.
    We could get a lot of work done in March and April this year that we didn't get the chance to do last year

Welcome Tipp77!

I noticed Tommy Dunne spent a lot of time with the goalkeepers during the warm up - going through things.

I think the positioning of Ronan had a lot to do with options on the short puck. He is looking for players who can take ball under pressure and deliver fantastic ball.

Byrne is a proper player - championship will be a learning curve. It always is. But I think Tipp can hang their hat on him to produce the goods. He takes the fight to teams. Looks like a player we can use for a short puck out too. Skinny but very strong. Can't wait until he starts to fill out. He will be some player.

I'd say if Sheedy was doing all again, he'd make Noelie captain. Listen, I hope Callinan comes back strong as ever. And, I've no doubt Seamie will. But i think a break and a freshen up in a new position will do him good.

Welcome Tipp77!

I noticed Tommy Dunne spent a lot of time with the goalkeepers during the warm up - going through things.

I think the positioning of Ronan had a lot to do with options on the short puck. He is looking for players who can take ball under pressure and deliver fantastic ball.

Byrne is a proper player - championship will be a learning curve. It always is. But I think Tipp can hang their hat on him to produce the goods. He takes the fight to teams. Looks like a player we can use for a short puck out too. Skinny but very strong. Can't wait until he starts to fill out. He will be some player.

I'd say if Sheedy was doing all again, he'd make Noelie captain. Listen, I hope Callinan comes back strong as ever. And, I've no doubt Seamie will. But i think a break and a freshen up in a new position will do him good.

Thanks
    I agree with you on Noel. But Callinan has only been captain a few months and maybe he is still getting used to it.
    That's interesting re Tommy Dunne and the warm ups. We only appreciated Darren Gleeson when he was gone and If there is a goalie with similar talent why not try it
    Byrne definitely has the attitude you want and another lad who could be a serious player when he bulks up is Cillian O'Dwyer. He's a proper corner back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Ompala

Tbh, before the league I'd have been happy enough with just good displays and unearthing a few players. Getting to the league final the last 2 years and losing it badly seriously screwed us in the championship. Concerned we haven't given the new lads enough game time, though the Fitzgibbon has gotten in the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

Ompala wrote: »
    Tbh, before the league I'd have been happy enough with just good displays and unearthing a few players. Getting to the league final the last 2 years and losing it badly seriously screwed us in the championship. Concerned we haven't given the new lads enough game time, though the Fitzgibbon has gotten in the way.

Hard to know if Sheedy has made any difference so far. He needs time and I think because if his stature in Tipp he 'll be given it. There's no doubt in my mind that he under estimated the task. Every line needs work and that hard for a guy to do who's been out of the county game for so long.

• Advertisement

BloodyBill wrote: »
    Hard to know if Sheedy has made any difference so far. He needs time and I think because if his stature in Tipp he 'll be given it. There's no doubt in my mind that he under estimated the task. Every line needs work and that hard for a guy to do who's been out of the county game for so long.

It always would be hard to know at this stage. His main issue to work on seems more with our style of play than strictly personnel. Getting in talented new players and making them rain down ball on top of forwards surrounded by opposition defenders would just be a waste. Getting people smarter at movement off the ball and try to make space will benefit much more. What is difficult to know are which of the older players will he need to drop or which ones will be able to change. Bonner is one who I'd say is on the way out. Kehoe would be one on the way in etc. No matter who we have for the job, this will take time.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭lim4ev

As an outsider looking in and reading the posts I'm surprised at the amount of talk about yer forwards who's best for 14 etc i dont see any issues with your forwards as any combination of what ye have will be formidable, I do see potential issues with yer backs though and for me pace is an issue.

Just my observation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 684 ✭✭✭farmerval

Against the huge disapointment of not closing out the game yesterday when it was there for us there were big positives, the quality of ball into Seamie was excellent, a bit better use of it and we could have won easily. We definitely over complicated thigs a bit. One noticable pattern even back to the Clare game is trying to get Breen running into the empty space Seamie has vacated, created the goal chance yesterday, nearly did in the other games.
    I think so far Liam Sheedy has been desperately trying to steady the ship, while we exited the championship by a whisker last year the whole team ended in disarray. After last year we had big question marks over Barry, Kennedy, Donagh Maher, Ronan, Joe Dwyer, Alan Flynn and several more.

I think (or hope) we are on the right road, I am unsure of Tommy Dunne tactically, delighted to see Eamon O Shea involved, we potentially have alot of very clever forwards, the two McGraths, Bubbles, Forde, Seamie Jake Morris, these are all guys that with good movement and with quality supply could tear a defence assunder.

Very few modern teams carry a big goal threat at the moment, most teams are racking up big points tallies, potentially we could get back to a real goal threat of a team.
    Really liked the look of Noel in Midfield yesterday, his use of the ball was excellent.

lim4ev wrote: »
    As an outsider looking in and reading the posts I'm surprised at the amount of talk about yer forwards who's best for 14 etc i dont see any issues with your forwards as any combination of what ye have will be formidable, I do see potential issues with yer backs though and for me pace is an issue.

Just my observation

It's quite a common and wrong perception. One of those things that gets repeated and repeated - since 2011 and earlier probably.

We have conceded the least amount of scores throughout the league. We have also scored the least amount in the league so far.

The backs are out performing the forwards in a number of ways for some time. Certainly have a higher workrate.

There was one clear goal chance yesterday. Our back didn't give it up. Tipp's backs weren't ever really exposed for pace much.

It's quite a common and wrong perception. One of those things that gets repeated and repeated - since 2011 and earlier probably.

We have conceded the least amount of scores throughout the league. We have also scored the least amount in the league so far.

The backs are out performing the forwards in a number of ways for some time. Certainly have a higher workrate.

There was one clear goal chance yesterday. Our back didn't give it up. Tipp's backs weren't ever really exposed for pace much.

Backs do have a better workrate, but have definitely been guilty of not looking up when clearing the ball and losing it straight away. Opposition forwards do put them under pressure more than our lads, which can make them hurry clearances.

Only games I can remember us being badly caught for pace is against Cork the last 2 years. Having said that that Cork team is particularly pacey!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,073 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Evokes sunday afternoons in glenmalure park for me. Listened to him for years and I’m still not sure I’d recognise him if you put a pic in front of me. Kind of soccer equivalent of mick dunne i think.

"My game today was at Milltown"

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

Ompala wrote: »
    Backs do have a better workrate, but have definitely been guilty of not looking up when clearing the ball and losing it straight away. Opposition forwards do put them under pressure more than our lads, which can make them hurry clearances.

Only games I can remember us being badly caught for pace is against Cork the last 2 years. Having said that that Cork team is particularly pacey!

I think in the quest to find a free-flowing interplay between forwards, Tipp lack a system of defence in the forwards. Maybe, not so much on puck outs but when the play opens up. It's great to find space and get in space. But you've got to be there to tackle too. Tipp can't be too focused on defence or forward play. But the blend of tactics for the forwards to hound and harry as a team covering space up front is just not quite there yet. That's something more intricate. We also, in my opinion, don't get the six positions right up front and the blend right. Too often we select four to five creatives/shooters.

But I've noticed we lack set pieces for frees whether 30 yards off goal or a hundred. There should be setpieces (A,B,C) for each area of the field. Everyone should know what happens when A,B, or C happens. That takes a lot of work but it is possible. Often, we just go for the shot or the off the cuff stuff.

The last day against Kilkenny, Seamus Kennedy got most of his directions from Jason Forde who was so far back as to be in speaking range with Kennedy at most times. Particularly on opposition puck outs. Forde was telling him to push on and Kennedy took that to mean to move his position further up the field. Forde wanted him to get closer to him so they could support each other with and without the ball. But why is that just happening on the field there and then? Kennedy seemed in two minds about the whole thing. His natural inclination was to cover his patch and stand behind his man.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Dayor Knight

Lack week was a bit disheartening but at the same time I don't think we're far off something special happening either. There are positive signs and we just need something to click into place. Return of EOS to help with the mental side may be the missing piece of the puzzle. Can only help. One key win and some momentum is what we need. If we can get that at the start of the round robin series, we'll see the positivity return pretty quickly.
    In the meantime it may not be a bad thing not to be involved in the final stages of the league. The players will be watching from the sidelines and itching to get playing again.
    As for Sunday against Cork, a strong performance is needed, regardless of the result, though a win would have us all feeling a bit better about where we're at...

Hot off the press - Tipp team for Cork

P Maher

Barrett Barry R Maher

Joe O'Dwyer P Maher Byrne

N MCG Breen

Morris O'Meara Ford

O'Dwyer Callannan J McGrath

Good to see Barrett back. Again very little experimentation, going with the tried and tested which I can't understand. Ronan Maher at corner back is baffling. Hopefully we can put in a good performance and I'd like to see us offer a goal threat.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Very big Cork side

CORK (v Tipperary): A. Nash; D. Browne, D. Cahalane, S. McDonnell; C. Joyce, T. O’Mahony, E. Cadogan; C. Murphy, B. Cooper; C. Lehane, S. Harnedy (c), D. Dooley; J. O’Connor, A. Walsh, P. Horgan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 684 ✭✭✭farmerval

Somewhat unbalanced team for Sunday, apart from Bubbles the other 5 forwards would all be more comfortable in the inside forward line. Delighted to see Jake Morriss start I thought he offered quite a bit when he came on against Kilkenny, every ball going into him stuck in there, even ones he failed to win. He has a good knack of breaking ball in his own favor.

Good to see Barret back, I presume Ronan starting in the corner and Joe Dwyer on the wing is to counteract Corks pace on their own puck out.

Cork's full back line is very very slow, so hopefully we might exploit that. Last year against Cork we left one Cork corner back free for short puckuts and pressured him to play down the line, it worked Ok a a strategy, forcing them to puck down onto Brendan Maher's wing that day certainly helped us.

Good luck to that half forward line and i mean that very sincerely. Big job for them against a physically strong half back set. Assuming that’s how we line out of course.

Is this our fifth different No.5 of the campaign, from memory Flynn, Heffernan, Byrne, Kennedy have all lined out there. Mouse definitely deserves the chance to lay a marker down.

• Advertisement

I would have liked to see Ger Browne get a run at midfield with Mick Breen. Hopefully he gets a bit more game time than last week.
    If Joe O'Dwyer drops back to the corner that could be our championship full back line.
    Niall O'Meara at centre forward is interesting. You can never fault his work rate and at this stage he can get away from his man a lot quicker than Bonner.
    If Bubbles can keep up last week's form that would be a massive boost.
    And if Seamie is on the frees I hope his first one is an easy one.

Nice test tomorrow for Barry on Aidan Walsh. Walsh has been playing well, he's big and strong and has a turn off pace, should be a good battle.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Tipp 77 wrote: »
    I would have liked to see Ger Browne get a run at midfield with Mick Breen. Hopefully he gets a bit more game time than last week.
    If Joe O'Dwyer drops back to the corner that could be our championship full back line.
    Niall O'Meara at centre forward is interesting. You can never fault his work rate and at this stage he can get away from his man a lot quicker than Bonner.
    If Bubbles can keep up last week's form that would be a massive boost.
    And if Seamie is on the frees I hope his first one is an easy one.

I can definitely see Joe and Ronan switching. Killian O Dwyer is a good looking long term prospect for corner back. Would like to see Tom Fox tried there. Barrett back steadies that line a lot more.

Agree on Browne. Must be frustrating for himself that he is not being given a chance really, Sheedy is sticking with the old guard. Shame as midfield is one area we don't seem settled on at all.

Interesting to see Morris on the half forward line. Can see Forde and Bubbles switching. Niall has a good engine for middle third of the pitch. Don't think John McGrath should be playing though, looks a bit rushed back. Would be worth a shot trying Cian Darcy or Mark Kehoe there to me.

Not pushed on the result, but want to see work rate and better use of the ball.

I suppose it’s logical enough to assume joe and ronan will switch but why list them that way in the first place? I suspect that’s how they’ll line out initially anyway and not sure what the long term implications if it are. Probably be a few mid game switches so interesting to see what way it ends out.

Niall had a very good spell at cf in 2017, was motm or near it in that league game against KK we failed to win despite his and a few others best efforts. Not sure why he didn’t push on from there that year, inexplicably to me mick ryan seemed to favour curran over him. Was seriously motoring this time last year too before injury intervened. With his pace and mobility he could cause a guy like O’Mahony a lot of trouble.

Maybe guys like niall and jason just need a bit more careful management, ensure their confidence stays high and survives the odd setback. I think i know the right man for the job and he’ll very soon be back in the fold!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,015 ✭✭✭shmeee

Game below in Cork may get pulled, pitch at the moment is unplayable.

shmeee wrote: »
    Game below in Cork may get pulled, pitch at the moment is unplayable.

Pitch inspection at 12.50 according to Cork GAA Twitter account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

It's bucketing down and has been all day, be very surprised if pitch was playable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Postponed

Postponed.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

Footballers not good enough last night, against the worst Cork team in living memory. If management can't produce a run in the Championship then it's time to go. Gone stale over this year and last and no Plan B being worked on.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement