Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Tipperary GAA (Club and Intercounty) Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Tipp 77

Ompala wrote: »
    True, put you would expect Tipp to win. But I hope the players don't view it that way. Is it confirmed for next Saturday? I know Paddys weekend makes all this unclear.

Saturday in Thurles no time yet. The attitude seems to be good this year so hopefully there is no overconfidence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Ompala

https://www.tg4.ie/ga/player/baile/?pid=6012210128001&teideal=GAA%20Beo&series=GAA%20Beo&dlft=35
    For anyone thats interested, can watch the whole game from TG4 coverage here

• Registered Users Posts: 4,073 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Tipp 77 wrote: »
    Saturday in Thurles no time yet.

Time: 16.30

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

A hell of a lot of rain forecast for next saturday afternoon...

We caught Cork on the hop. Bigger game for us. Not so much for Cork. Cork didn't set up they way they did against Limerick or Kilkenny. And we changed our line up finally.

A lot of talk about 3 and 6 in our team. But I think sorting 11 is more important at this stage.

No coincidence that Barrett has played both the league games we have won.

Where do people see Dan and Brendan fitting into this side?

Mickey Breen loves playing Cork.

If Noelie can find Breen with ball from midfield, do Tipp push Breen to wingforward?

I'd like to see John McGrath play 11 against Dublin. Think J McG is our best suit to 11.

You could play Brendan at 6 - has the pace to cover behind both wings.

Dan with Noelie in midfield.

McG at 11.

Seamie on the wing or in the corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Dayor Knight

Lads, anyone know is the match on TV tomorrow?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Lads, anyone know is the match on TV tomorrow?
    No.
    TG4 have Galway Wexford and Waterford Clare

Same side to play Dublin

1. Paul Maher – Moyne-Templetuohy
    2. Cathal Barrett – Holycross-Ballycahill
    3. James Barry – Upperchurch-Drombane
    4. Ronan Maher – Thurles Sarsfields
    5. Joe O’Dwyer – Killenaule
    6. Padraic Maher – Thurles Sarsfields
    7. Robert Byrne – Portroe
    8. Noel McGrath – Loughmore-Castleiney
    9. Michael Breen – Ballina
    10. Jake Morris – Nenagh Éire Óg
    11. Niall O’Meara – Kilruane MacDonaghs
    12. Jason Forde – Silvermines
    13. John O’Dwyer – Killenaule
    14. Séamus Callanan (Capt.) – Drom-Inch
    15. John McGrath – Loughmore-Castleiney

Ger Browne and Mark McCarthy lose their spots on the bench

16. Brian Hogan
    17. Willie Connors
    18. Colin English
    19. Alan Flynn
    20. Barry Heffernan
    21. Mark Kehoe
    22. Séamus Kennedy
    24. Donagh Maher
    25. Patrick Maher
    23. Brendan Maher
    26. Jamie Moloney

Anyone know what time the pitch inspection is on at tomorrow?

DUBLIN: Alan Nolan; Paddy Smyth, Eoghan O'Donnell, Daire Gray; Chris Crummey, Sean Moran, Darragh O'Connell; Rian McBride, Sean Treacy; Jake Malone, John Hetherton, Danny Sutcliffe; Oisin O'Rorke, Liam Rushe, Eamonn Dillon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Will be making a rare appearance for the footballers later, no excuse as I live in Naas. Awful morning here hopefully weather improves.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

Panel to play Kildare

1. Evan Comerford – Kilsheelan-Kilcash
    2. Alan Campbell – Moyle Rovers
    3. John Meagher – Loughmore-Castleiney
    4. Emmett Moloney – Drom-Inch
    5. Kevin Fahey – Clonmel Commercials
    6. Daire Brennan – Kilsheelan-Kilcash
    7. Jimmy Feehan – Killenaule
    8. Steven O’Brien – Ballina
    9. Liam Casey – Cahir
    10. Dan O’Meara – Kiladangan
    11. Liam McGrath – Loughmore-Castleiney
    12. Brian Fox – Éire Óg Annacarty-Donohill
    13. Philip Austin – Borrisokane
    14. Conor Sweeney (Capt.) – Ballyporeen
    15. Jack Kennedy – Clonmel Commercials

16. Michael O’Reilly – Clonmel Commercials
    17. Paddy Codd -Killenaule
    18. Michael Quinlivan – Clonmel Commercials
    19. Colm O’Shaughnessy – Ardfinnan
    20. Conal Kennedy – Clonmel Commercials
    21. Ben Hyland – Fr. Sheehy’s
    22. Paudie Feehan – Killenaule
    23. Paul Maher – Kilsheelan-Kilcash
    24. Jack Delahunty – Newport
    25. Dean McEnroe – JK Brackens
    26. John Lyons – Grangemocker-Ballyneale

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭1eg0a3xv7b82of

looking forward to the dublin game, i assume it is going ahead. if anyone hears any different can they post it here please.
    the tipp team today is same as the last 2 weeks and i feel this will be the championship team bar maybe bonner, brendan maher and dan mccormack coming in.
    i hope though come championship if the established are not performing then sheedy gives youth its opportunity so come 2020 he has already started the re building

looking forward to the dublin game, i assume it is going ahead. if anyone hears any different can they post it here please.
    the tipp team today is same as the last 2 weeks and i feel this will be the championship team bar maybe bonner, brendan maher and dan mccormack coming in.
    i hope though come championship if the established are not performing then sheedy gives youth its opportunity so come 2020 he has already started the re building

Really can't see Bonner starting anymore, think we have other players outperforming him.

Really can't see Bonner starting anymore, think we have other players outperforming him.

I agree, its time to give younger players a chance

• Advertisement

Xenophile wrote: »
    I agree, its time to give younger players a chance
    Niall O'Meara can give you two or three points a game. Bonner probably won't but he would be a great option off the bench now

HT Tipp 0-09 Dublin 1-10
    RTE reporting Tipp not in it, but is anyone at this game? Given what has happened in the second half in the other two quarter finals today its hard to know what to make of this.

HT Tipp 0-09 Dublin 1-10
    RTE reporting Tipp not in it, but is anyone at this game? Given what has happened in the second half in the other two quarter finals today its hard to know what to make of this.
    We hit some atrocious wides into the sun in the first half and arent working as hard as Dublin

We hit some atrocious wides into the sun in the first half and arent working as hard as Dublin

Sound for the insight, is the wind having much of an impact would you say?
    Watched Waterford and Clare and the second half score was 0-20 to 0-04 when Waterford had the bteeze at their backs.

Didn't make the game but that's a worrying defeat at home.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Sound for the insight, is the wind having much of an impact would you say?
    Watched Waterford and Clare and the second half score was 0-20 to 0-04 when Waterford had the bteeze at their backs.
    The wind had an impact but not to that extent. They got three cracking long range points in the first half.
    We had over 20 wides they had around 7 only two in the second half.
    The pitch was very heavy and we tried a running game that definitely wasn't on in the conditions.
    We were playing into the Killinen end in the first half and i'd say the glare from the sun was very hard to deal with but some of the wides were brutal.
    James Barry and Cathal Barret did a mountain of work only for them we were really in trouble.
    Barrett looks like he is coming back to his old form which is great for the start of the championship.
    Brendan Maher came on which was great
    Caught a great ball and scored a free from his own half so that's another positive.
    Paul Maher looked nervey at times too.
    At least now we can start planning the championship preparation because we know exactly what the schedule will be.
    Hopefully Eamon O'Shea can get Callinan going again because he was way off what he is capable of today

The wind had an impact but not to that extent. They got three cracking long range points in the first half.
    We had over 20 wides they had around 7 only two in the second half.
    The pitch was very heavy and we tried a running game that definitely wasn't on in the conditions.
    We were playing into the Killinen end in the first half and i'd say the glare from the sun was very hard to deal with but some of the wides were brutal.
    James Barry and Cathal Barret did a mountain of work only for them we were really in trouble.
    Barrett looks like he is coming back to his old form which is great for the start of the championship.
    Brendan Maher came on which was great
    Caught a great ball and scored a free from his own half so that's another positive.
    Paul Maher looked nervey at times too.
    At least now we can start planning the championship preparation because we know exactly what the schedule will be.
    Hopefully Eamon O'Shea can get Callinan going again because he was way off what he is capable of today

There was sun there? Didn't make its way as far south as Cork!
    Yeah, sounds like our shooting cost us but mainly our workrate wasn't where it needed to be. I'm not pushed about winning the league or anything, but I'd say they will be disappointed regards the way they exited. Still, twill give Sheedy something to beat them with for the championship.

All in all, how do people feel over our starting 15 for the champsionhip? Seems the team today would be very close with our starting line up for the championship. Can see Dan moving into the forward line with Morris going into the corner. Unsure on Brendan Maher just yet.

Been a really disappointing league truth be told. 6 games 4 defeats and we've arguably put out our strongest team in each game. Eamonn O'Shea will have to work miracles in May.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

we've arguably put out our strongest team in each game. y.

Find that baffling too.... if mgmt don’t know at least 10 of those players inside out at this stage.....

On the other hand all of the teams have had stinkers and decent games so we’re not alone in our inconsistency

There was sun there? Didn't make its way as far south as Cork!
    Yeah, sounds like our shooting cost us but mainly our workrate wasn't where it needed to be. I'm not pushed about winning the league or anything, but I'd say they will be disappointed regards the way they exited. Still, twill give Sheedy something to beat them with for the championship.

All in all, how do people feel over our starting 15 for the champsionhip? Seems the team today would be very close with our starting line up for the championship. Can see Dan moving into the forward line with Morris going into the corner. Unsure on Brendan Maher just yet.

Light but no heat!!
    If I was picking a championship team based on what I have seen in the league I think we have issues at goalie. Paul Maher has a better puckout than Brian Hogan but Hogan is far more decisive coming off his line and communicating with the backline.
    The full back line is Barrett Barry and Joe Dwyer
    The half back line is three from Byrne Ronan Paudie and Brendan Maher. Whichever way you look at it there is cover there at least.
    Noel McGrath is locked in at 8 and then it's either Mick Breen or Dan McCormack if available.
    The half forward line as always is problematic.
    Niall O'Meara is in at 11. I'm go with Bubbles and John McGrath there too.
    You have Bonner on the bench to cover.
    Full forward line is Forde at 14 and Callinan and Morris.

• Advertisement

back from the game, enjoyable enough.
    the league in fairness means nothing i think, and what i post below is not a reaction to tonight.
    the reason i think tipp will struggle this year in munster is based on the championship in 2018 and the fact we have generally the same guys who are now 1 year older and for some have been hurling with tipp 10 years.
    i have a fear this year we could get some of the thrashings we nearly got last year.
    sheedy had 2 choices, back the established or introduce the youth.
    It seems he has made his choice and i have an awful feeling his tenure wont recover from a poor showing this year if he does not have the excuse of building for the future.

the league in fairness means nothing i think, and what i post below is not a reaction to tonight.
    the reason i think tipp will struggle this year in munster is based on the championship in 2018 and the fact we have generally the same guys who are now 1 year older and for some have been hurling with tipp 10 years.
    i have a fear this year we could get some of the thrashings we nearly got last year.
    It seems he has made his choice and i have an awful feeling his tenure wont recover from a poor showing this year if he does not have the excuse of building for the future.
    The age profile doesn't worry me as much as the general lack of pace. The heavy ground might have covered up problems in the backline that will become very evident on hard ground

The age profile doesn't worry me as much as the general lack of pace. The heavy ground might have covered up problems in the backline that will become very evident on hard ground

But I would suggest the age profile is directly linked to the lack of pace.
    Dublin also had some nice hurlers there tonight and look very fit I think they might have a good year in Leinster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Lots of pace isn’t a bad asset to have but personally wouldn’t get fixated on it. And i think we’ll be much better suited by summer conditions, particularly those forwards and the type of game they want to play. Losing a lot of close games is frustrating but i don’t think we’re that far off from putting the pieces in place. The wides today were an aberration, otherwise we’d have won not playing particularly well. The task now is to win 2 games minimum in munster, quite confident that can be achieved.

The whole warm up thing was bizarre. Due to the weather, obviously they wanted to protect the pitch. The main warm ups were done elsewhere I'd imagine. But Dublin were out a good ten minutes before Tipp. Ref had to go in to get Tipp.

Sun was at a nightmare height in the first half.

Tipp were off colour though. Dublin were the better team and deserved the win.

Forde again spent very little time inside full forward. When he was in there, very dangerous. Just don't know what's going on there. But it's beginning to affect Jason now as well as Seamie. Disaster stuff from management. It's very basic. Jason operates best in at full. Pick him there and let him stay. After last week's performance he is out on the half line for long periods of time... why? This moving around of forwards is great if it's effective. Some players should move around, others shouldn't. The quicker O'Shea helps out the better. A lot of pundits were talking about O'Shea and the forwards performance last week. But O'Shea is not back yet and if he was, it was one week...jesus wept. But a lot of these pundits, and so many of them are woeful, have misread the statement. O'Shea is an advisor to management - the statement said nothing about o'shea coaching players.

Dublin far smarter on the line. Their choice of forward on defender, formation, and tactics were way way better than Tipps. Really worked well at getting their forwards into good positions and isolating our defenders. This Tipp management needs to sit down and study what Matt Kenny is doing and adopt something similiar. Because they were out foxed.

I can't see Joe O'Dywer starting in the championship? Can anyone else?

Why haven't we seen Colin English and Ger Browne more? Brian McGrath? Still injured? It's all very 2010 at the moment - far too much so. Tactics wise and everything. That's the biggest disappointment. Right now, this management team looks like it can't get the forward unit balanced and is taking away their confidence rather than lifting it.

If people keep mentioning pace - please mention specifc examples of when it happens during games. Because I feel like people are just saying it for the sake of it at this stage... - it's just a meaningless phrase without examples.

18 wides...

So many times players were in space and not found.

For example, the last sideline cut. A hail Mary from Ronan - when O'Meara had found space ten yards up the touch and totally unmarked. Ronan never saw him - only one thing on his mind.

John McG absolutely devoured by the Dublin 5. The Dublin was one of the best players on the field if not the best. Most vocal organiser on the field and really took the game to Tipp.

Been a really disappointing league truth be told. 6 games 4 defeats and we've arguably put out our strongest team in each game. Eamonn O'Shea will have to work miracles in May.

Id take half decent championship over a good league any day of the week. I think Liam has placed huge importance on getting us in better physical shape this league and while it isnt showing at the moment, i think it will in summer. I think this is a process and i believe in the process. We havent been beaten easily dont forget...even with 14 down in Wexford. Lets give this time

18 wides...

So many times players were in space and not found.

For example, the last sideline cut. A hail Mary from Ronan - when O'Meara had found space ten yards up the touch and totally unmarked. Ronan never saw him - only one thing on his mind.

John McG absolutely devoured by the Dublin 5. The Dublin was one of the best players on the field if not the best. Most vocal organiser on the field and really took the game to Tipp.

John still isnt up to match fitness though in fairness and I believe he should have been given the whole game. Bonnar didnt do a woeful amount when he came on. Agree with you on the last gasp sideline. Would make me wonder as to the exact amount of urgency we are showing this league when the likes of Ronan is doing that

John still isnt up to match fitness though in fairness and I believe he should have been given the whole game. Bonnar didnt do a woeful amount when he came on. Agree with you on the last gasp sideline. Would make me wonder as to the exact amount of urgency we are showing this league when the likes of Ronan is doing that

It was disappointing not to see Kehoe or English come on for him instead and get a bit of playing time. Chris Crummy at 5 for Dublin is an excellent player too and has been for the last few years.

• Advertisement

It was disappointing not to see Kehoe or English come on for him instead and get a bit of playing time. Chris Crummy at 5 for Dublin is an excellent player too and has been for the last few years.

Kehoe did come on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

Kehoe did come on

And he scored 2 points shortly having come on I think.

I think the point was that Kehoe should have been brought on earlier which is probably fair enough. Would have no fears about him being pitched in at the deep end come May, though. If seamie or anyone isn’t finding form, then I’d love to see Mark get his chance, if you’re good enough you’re old enough.

As regards seamie, it hasn’t been happening but i still have faith. Just have the feeling he could up and destroy a full back any day soon, maybe blind faith at this stage but it’s still there at least!

There's more than two choices. He could have blended more players in - might happen yet. He could have got rid of the older guard.

Why are you making wide sweeping statements about his tenure after one league campaign?

The thrashings we nearly got? What?

Well, we all know why. You need to get over Cahill not getting the job.

There are many factors that make the context of last year very different to last year.

I think the point was that Kehoe should have been brought on earlier which is probably fair enough. Would have no fears about him being pitched in at the deep end come May, though. If seamie or anyone isn’t finding form, then I’d love to see Mark get his chance, if you’re good enough you’re old enough.

As regards seamie, it hasn’t been happening but i still have faith. Just have the feeling he could up and destroy a full back any day soon, maybe blind faith at this stage but it’s still there at least!

Mark Kehoe will start against Cork. It will be a mistake if he doesn't. Only Forde, O'Meara, and Dan are undropable in the forward line in my book.

I still think Dan should go to midfield with Noelie. That's two intelligent and creative players who can win possession - they can read a game and position themselves. Breen should be pushed forward.

Mark Kehoe will start against Cork. It will be a mistake if he doesn't. Only Forde, O'Meara, and Dan are undropable in the forward line in my book.

I still think Dan should go to midfield with Noelie. That's two intelligent and creative players who can win possession - they can read a game and position themselves. Breen should be pushed forward.

Hard to predict front 6 i think. Lot of possible permutations. Wherever you think players should or could play, fact is Forde, Callanan and Kehoe would all be happiest at full. I’m glad it’s sheedy and O’Shea sorting that conundrum out and not me.

Quite happy with back 6 as it looks, particularly with Bren back in the mix. I see ronan having a big summer and would like to see him back at 6 and growing into the leader i believe he can become.

Midfield i like Noel there so far but would worry that a partnership with breen is at risk of being overpowered on certain days. I’m not blaming him for it, but using his size and physique to get stuck in and bully opponents isn’t really Mick’s game. He’s great when we’re winning battles elsewhere and can move into space and take up positions to receive scoring chances.

Dan to midfield would definitely work alright. But as for pushing Mick forward, I’m not sure who you’d want to drop to accommodate him there. Option off the bench at least i guess.

• Advertisement

Hard to predict front 6 i think. Lot of possible permutations. Wherever you think players should or could play, fact is Forde, Callanan and Kehoe would all be happiest at full. I’m glad it’s sheedy and O’Shea sorting that conundrum out and not me.

Quite happy with back 6 as it looks, particularly with Bren back in the mix. I see ronan having a big summer and would like to see him back at 6 and growing into the leader i believe he can become.

Midfield i like Noel there so far but would worry that a partnership with breen is at risk of being overpowered on certain days. I’m not blaming him for it, but using his size and physique to get stuck in and bully opponents isn’t really Mick’s game. He’s great when we’re winning battles elsewhere and can move into space and take up positions to receive scoring chances.

Dan to midfield would definitely work alright. But as for pushing Mick forward, I’m not sure who you’d want to drop to accommodate him there. Option off the bench at least i guess.

A lot of teams are playing a diamond around the edge of the square. Two in front of the square and another player about five to ten yards ahead of that two. Leaving the space in the corners - and running out to ball moved out to the wing. Tipp started with that formation yesterday. Nothing to stop them having three full forwards in there. I'd prefer it to be Forde, Kehoe, and Jake at this stage. BUt we should have already seen that in this league.

Perms and Combs for the football next weekend

Meath beat Clare by 5 points in Ennis so Tipp (SD -9) , Clare (-8), Cork (-22) are tied on 3 points.

Tipp beat Clare in Semple next weekend and Cork fail to beat Armagh in Armagh, Tipp stay in division 2 for 2020.

If Tipp and Clare draw and Cork draw with Armagh, Clare will stay up on score difference

If Tipp and Cork win, Cork stay up by having better head to head than Tipp

There's more than two choices. He could have blended more young players in with the guys already there - might happen yet. He could have got rid of the older guard.

Why are you making wide sweeping statements about his tenure after one league campaign?

The thrashings we nearly got? What?

Well, we all know why. You need to get over Cahill not getting the job.

There are many factors that make the context of last year very different to last year.

your post is a little zany. sweeping statements??
    cork and wateford both should have beaten us well and limerick did. do you go to games?

if the same players are chosen this year as last year then the only difference is sheedy and his management.

I wanted cahill to get the job because he was the best candidate and i only want the best for tipp. but i wish sheedy well and hope he helps tipp to a good year.

your post is a little zany. sweeping statements??
    cork and wateford both should have beaten us well and limerick did. do you go to games?

if the same players are chosen this year as last year then the only difference is sheedy and his management.

I wanted cahill to get the job because he was the best candidate and i only want the best for tipp. but i wish sheedy well and hope he helps tipp to a good year.

Should - should they have? Why? They didn't. End of. I went to all of those games. Limerick won the All-Ireland. The two teams who beat us won the all-ireland and the other lost a replay of the semi-final by the bare minium.

There's a big difference. Totally different style of approach this year.

He was the best candidate in your opinion. Cahill still has a chance to win more this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Tbf it’s a similar side which delivered in ‘16 to the one which faded so badly last season and is there now.

Never like loosing games but in September I doubt any of us will be giving the league a second thought.

I was only talking earlier to one of our all Ireland winners and both of us couldn’t understand why Sheedy played so many of the same players in all the games. Do fellas the wrong side of 30 really need to be played every week?

No manager was gonna have a clear out of the old guard, primarily because they’re top players who’ve delivered before ( and I hope they do again). However, injuries may have dictated his selections.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement