Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Tipperary GAA (Club and Intercounty) Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Ompala

More ruthless going forward? 2.24 2.28 and 3.21 and a score difference of plus 38.

Hon Tipp

Its not that we haven't been playing well up front, the scoring returns have been brilliant so far. Trust me I'm delighted, but we can be better as our wide count has been in double digits every week so far. Encouraging that we are creating the chances though.
    BloodyBill wrote: »
    Hard to see anyone touching Tipperary on the form they have been showing. Its 'Roy of the Rovers ' stuff. It's crazy to think they still have another game to go before the Munster final. Will their form last all Summer.? It would be some kick in the teeth for them to stroll through and then have one bad game in the knockouts and be gone...unfair system or what?!
    mullinr2 wrote: »
    As much as it pains me to say as a Kilkenny man, I can't see Tipp being beaten this year. The two teams that will run ye close would be Limerick and Cork, but, the way the Tipp forwards are playing, it's hard seeing any team matching their scoring rate.
    The Mahers, Noel Mcgrath, Callinan could very well have had 6 All Irelands this decade. Only Kilkenny were good enough to beat them in 11,12 and 14. They ran Galway close in 17. If Tipp got to those finals in 12 and 17 ye def would have won them.
    What was missing last year for Tipp was workrate. Sheedy seems to have fixed that problem

I'll only believe Tipp have won it when we have it won. Long way to go yet in the championship. One thing that people seem to think is our defence hasn't been found out yet, though you could argue the exact same about Kilkenny and Galway. Amazing turn around from the last 12 months to be sure.
    We 've been here before, coasting through munster only to be beaten by the cats or galway. There s no way coady would be playing a sweeper 10 + points down half way through the second half. Limerick will provide a big test, interesting to see how we approach it, is it a chance to start some of our subs. Jake Morris could do with some game time to adjust to the pace the other players are at, Willie Connors looked good so far coming on, we 've definitely brought on some talent outside of the predictable performers this year that I didn't think we had so that's driving us on so far.

Agree, would like to see more of the panel used against Limerick. Should be a great game. Jamie Moloney must be due a run out at some stage for us? I've seen him in the match day squad a few times but never seen him play for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Fully expect limerick to take Clare along with cork beating Waterford.

I doubt Sheedy would risk too much change with a limerick side desperate for a result....we’d be playing each other in a Munster final too.
    I’d be laying down a marker at home.

There’s been lots of talk about the set up and motivation of our opposition so far. I’d like to think it was us making them look bad rather than anything else.

Think we could do with a Munster title...: prize later in the season

digzy wrote: »
    Fully expect limerick to take Clare along with cork beating Waterford.

I doubt Sheedy would risk too much change with a limerick side desperate for a result....we’d be playing each other in a Munster final too.
    I’d be laying down a marker at home.

There’s been lots of talk about the set up and motivation of our opposition so far. I’d like to think it was us making them look bad rather than anything else.

Think we could do with a Munster title...: prize later in the season

Firstly, another unreal performance from us yesterday. We are on fire at the minute. Long way to go yet. Secondly, i wouldnt write off Clare just yet. Waterford made Limerick look like World beaters, while Cork made them look very ordinary.....id be fully expectant that Clare will die on that field in Limerick before they let Limerick have anything easy.

Firstly, another unreal performance from us yesterday. We are on fire at the minute. Long way to go yet. Secondly, i wouldnt write off Clare just yet. Waterford made Limerick look like World beaters, while Cork made them look very ordinary.....id be fully expectant that Clare will die on that field in Limerick before they let Limerick have anything easy.

It’ll be very hard for that Clare team to turn it around for an away game against a wounded limerick who’ve their own backs to the wall. Their tactics were bizarre.

Know the post game interview is meaningless, but the Clare manager didn’t seem to realize the balls of it they’d made on the sideline

Clare have a lot of class players. A match for anyone on their day. Just let down by the mgmt.
    I’d put the house on limerick next day out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭nw5iytvs0lf1uz

That was some win
    Tipp played so well It is hard not to get swept away with all
    Bonner Maher and John McGrath could not have played better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭lonestar 74

Well done to John McGrath on being voted player of the week. ://www.gaa.ie/hurling/news/john-mcgrath-voted-gaa-ie-hurler-of-the-week/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Bonner has been fantastic, I really doubted him after a few ropey seasons and thought his best days were behind him but he's proved me wrong, hopefully he can keep him going, he's so effective in top form.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

The team are in a really good place currently with good results justifying all the hard work they’ve put in. We’re definitely the form team at the minute and the fitness levels of the lads look off the charts.

I’d still have concerns about the full back line but Barrett’s mobility back there is a major addition from last year. We’re also setting the team up to provide them with additional protection so it makes their job easier. Cork are the only team we’ve played that lined up with a traditional 3 man inside line but the ball into them was very poor. I think Limerick will go with three inside as well which means we won’t have the luxury of having Ronan Maher named corner back but playing him out around the middle.

Noel McGrath has been a revelation in midfield, his reading of the game just means he’s popping up everywhere. I’m a fan of Breen but he needs to be a bit more consistent.

Eamonn O’Shea has the forwards flowing and there are real contributors on the bench who can make a difference. Having lads to come on and make a difference is what won it for Limerick last year and we’re building that strength.

Niall O’Meara is incredibly unlucky with injury, he was our most consistent forward during the league but always seems to get injured at the worst time. Getting him back in contention will create serious selection issues and I think he’s well worth his spot in the starting team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭Paddico

Anyone heading to Down on Sunday?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,073 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Paddico wrote: »
    Anyone heading to Down on Sunday?

A win here could bring the fans back again !

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 219 ✭✭PlayByTheRules

Bonner has been fantastic, I really doubted him after a few ropey seasons and thought his best days were behind him but he's proved me wrong, hopefully he can keep him going, he's so effective in top form.

I thought it was career over for him, what a change and a real crowd pleaser when in form. Probably fair to say Tipp have rarely lost a game over the past 10-Years when the Bonner has played well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

How many people can that place in Ennis sit out of the rain? No ground should be let host a championship game without covered seating for at least 3 or 4 thousand people. A terrible ground for kids, the elderly or anyone with an illness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

I personally rate SOD as one of the most improved hurlers in the country over the past couple of years, not necessarily in terms of ability but in core strength and balance.

Really? I would have the opposite view of him, a one trick pony who is living off a single performance 6 years ago. Every time he gets the ball he charges, and an intercounty forward who cant actually put the ball ove rthe bar fron any further out that 30 yards is a liability, if he was from Tipp he would be slated.
    J McGrath reminds me of Nicky English

John McGrath is a very interesting snap shot of where this team is, for the last two years he has looked like a chap with the weight of the world on his shoulders and in the last few weeks he cant stop smiling, great to see.
    Looking forward to the limerick game that’ll really tell us about this team.

That was also said before the last three games, I know Tipp have flattered to deceive before but sometimes 2 plus 2 is 4!
    Rasputin11 wrote: »
    How many people can that place in Ennis sit out of the rain? No ground should be let host a championship game without covered seating for at least 3 or 4 thousand people. A terrible ground for kids, the elderly or anyone with an illness.

Or a weak bladder!

Liam has opted for the same fifteen which started the recent Munster semi-final fixture against Limerick.
    The team lines out as follows;

1. Evan Comerford – Kilsheelan-Kilcash
    2. Alan Campbell – Moyle Rovers
    3. John Meagher – Loughmore-Castleiney
    4. Shane O’Connell – Golden-Kilfeacle
    5. Kevin Fahey – Clonmel Commercials
    6. Robbie Kiely – Carbery Rangers
    7. Emmett Moloney – Drom-Inch
    8. Steven O’Brien – Ballina
    9. Liam Casey – Cahir
    10. Josh Keane – Golden-Kilfeacle
    11. Paul Maher – Kilsheelan-Kilcash
    12. Brian Fox – Éire Óg Annacarty-Donohill
    13. Conor Sweeney (Capt.) – Ballyporeen
    14. Michael Quinlivan – Clonmel Commercials
    15. Liam McGrath – Loughmore-Castleiney

16. Michael O’Reilly – Clonmel Commercials
    17. Jimmy Feehan – Killenaule
    18. Bill Maher – Kilsheelan-Kilcash
    19. Philip Austin – Borrisokane
    20. Jack Kennedy – Clonmel Commercials
    21. Daire Brennan – Kilsheelan-Kilcash
    22. Liam Boland – Moyle Rovers
    23. Dan O’Meara – Kiladangan
    24. Ben Hyland – Fr. Sheehy’s
    25. John Lyons – Grangemockler-Ballyneale
    26. Jack Delahunty – Newport

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Dayor Knight

Lads, I'm looking at tickets for next Sunday, the Limerick game (on Tickets.ie). Only seeing Block 115 in either end, which is at the very end. Anyone know if tickets get released back during the week - might i get a better seat if I wait a couple of days?
    Any advice appreciated, thanks.

Lads, I'm looking at tickets for next Sunday, the Limerick game (on Tickets.ie). Only seeing Block 115 in either end, which is at the very end. Anyone know if tickets get released back during the week - might i get a better seat if I wait a couple of days?

Hard to know but I'd doubt it, tickets on tickets.ie are generally poor. Even a few weeks ago I got mine they weren't great.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Was at a blitz last night and was told all stand were gone. Doubt there’ll be better tickets available later this week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Donald Trumped

FT All-Ireland football qualifier round 1

Down 1-13 Tipperary 1-10

Fair play to Kearns, he knew that he could not take the team any further.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭grimbergen

So, you're Liam Sheedy, what do you for next Sunday? Strongest 15 and go hammer and tongs or blood a few subs and see what they're made of?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

I think Sheedy will want to keep the winning momentum going, I don't think he'll want Limerick coming to their back yard and winning and thus give them that psychological boost. they've had a week off and then another break til the Munster final. Might be one or two changes but i see a strong team being put out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Ompala

Limerick coming to Thurles next week full of confidence. Gonna be a hell of a test for our lads. See this as a very 50-50 game, both teams very similar in playing the ball through the lines and thrive in space. Both have lethal full forward lines, and full back lines that people wouldn't be 100% convinced by. Seems key to stopping both teams is to stop them building from the back and serious work rate. Should be a cracker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

There's a chance, albeit possibly a small one, of knocking the holders out of the championship next week so why would anyone be thinking of holding back? Not Sheedy anyway for sure. Dont foresee any changes at all, though depends on fitness of Niall and James etc. One or two at the very most. They are a very powerful team, very robust and athletic and not sure we can match them in that regard, but not sure we have to either. Just play our game and look to make space for our forwards who, i think, are a better unit and have more goals in them. Personally dont have any fears about our full back line and hope James is fit to take his place. Bar one debacle in a League final, i cant think of any game in which he's been taken apart. Maybe there has been, but cant recall it myself.

Playing in 2nd or 3rd gear is for the league.
    I’d expect both sides to go hell for leather....I’d expect the winner to be playing cork in a Munster final. Clare were completely destroyed today. As we saw from the Waterford games, you don’t recover from that in a week.
    They’ve nothing to play for but pride against cork next game ( I know in theory they can still get through)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Playing in 2nd or 3rd gear is for the league.
    I’d expect both sides to go hell for leather....I’d expect the winner to be playing cork in a Munster final. Clare were completely destroyed today. As we saw from the Waterford games, you don’t recover from that in a week.
    They’ve nothing to play for but pride against cork next game ( I know in theory they can still get through)

If Limerick win, It will likely be a Tipp-Limerick final bar Cork win very big v Clare.

I know it looks unlikely, but a Clare win and Limerick win would see Clare through so in theory they have plenty to play for (as a Limerick win has probably a fairly good chance (looking objectively) 50-50 in bookies).

There's a chance, albeit possibly a small one, of knocking the holders out of the championship next week so why would anyone be thinking of holding back? Not Sheedy anyway for sure. Dont foresee any changes at all, though depends on fitness of Niall and James etc. One or two at the very most. They are a very powerful team, very robust and athletic and not sure we can match them in that regard, but not sure we have to either. Just play our game and look to make space for our forwards who, i think, are a better unit and have more goals in them. Personally dont have any fears about our full back line and hope James is fit to take his place. Bar one debacle in a League final, i cant think of any game in which he's been taken apart. Maybe there has been, but cant recall it myself.

I'm not sure what scenario would knock Limerick out at this point. Clare to win by 1 and Tipp to beat Limerick by 20 points or something like that??
    Either way it is next to impossible I think.

robbiezero wrote: »
    I'm not sure what scenario would knock Limerick out at this point. Clare to win by 1 and Tipp to beat Limerick by 20 points or something like that??
    Either way it is next to impossible I think.

No, it's actually impossible. My bad, hadn't my sums worked out properly. Limerick cant finish below Clare so it's academic whatever happens. But Tipp arent guaranteed a munster final spot yet, so thats enough motivation for next week, not that i think playing the all ireland champions really requires it to be honest.

No, it's actually impossible. My bad, hadn't my sums worked out properly. Limerick cant finish below Clare so it's academic whatever happens. But Tipp arent guaranteed a munster final spot yet, so thats enough motivation for next week, not that i think playing the all ireland champions really requires it to be honest.

Yes, thats correct. So its just for places in the Munster final really so. I wonder will Tipp take the opportunity to have a look at a few players. Some of our main subs have very little experience.

• Advertisement

Yes, thats correct. So its just for places in the Munster final really so. I wonder will Tipp take the opportunity to have a look at a few players. Some of our main subs have very little experience.

I would guess he wont make too many changes, possibly none at all with exception of James Barry and possibly Niall O'Meara. Could be wrong, just think sheedy will want to lay a marker down against the champions in his own back yard if he can. This is likely to be the real true test of where Tipp stand right now so i think liam will meet it head on. Will be interesting to see for sure.

I would guess he wont make too many changes, possibly none at all with exception of James Barry and possibly Niall O'Meara. Could be wrong, just think sheedy will want to lay a marker down against the champions in his own back yard if he can. This is likely to be the real true test of where Tipp stand right now so i think liam will meet it head on. Will be interesting to see for sure.

I agree, winning is a habit just as losing is and with the last two seasons Tipp have had and in particualr last year I think its far more important for Tipp to win than it is for Limerick.

if we beat limerick it will be a big scalp and we will probably play cork in the final.
    lose and we probably of limerick in final again.

we have to go all out for it. would not make sense not to.

It's a weird situation. We could beat limerick on Sunday and again in the Munster Final but still have to face them in an All Ireland final.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

It's a weird situation. We could beat limerick on Sunday and again in the Munster Final but still have to face them in an All Ireland final.

And I'm sure the residents of West Tipp would decree it as the sweetest of the 28 ;)

Strong team named, Morris starts instead of Dan who's struggled a little since coming back from injury. O'Brien in corner back.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

I like Flynn so not thrilled to see him dropped but to be fair, there's probably not a lot between a few of those guys. Changes no harm to keep the thing ticking over. Jake will be chomping at the bit to prove himself so happy to see him in there.

The team and subs for the game v Limerick on Sunday.
    1. Brian Hogan (Lorrha-Dorrha)
    2. Cathal Barrett (Holycross-Ballycahill)
    3. James Barry (Upperchurch-Drombane)
    4. Seán O’Brien (Newport)
    5. Brendan Maher (Borris-Ileigh)
    6. Pádraic Maher (Thurles Sarsfields)
    7. Ronan Maher (Thurles Sarsfields)
    8. Michael Breen (Ballina)
    9. Noel McGrath (Loughmore-Castleiney)
    10. Patrick Maher (Lorrha-Dorrha)
    11. John O’Dwyer (Killenaule)
    12. Jake Morris (Nenagh Éire Óg)
    13. John McGrath (Loughmore-Castleiney)
    14. Séamus Callanan (Drom & Inch, captain)
    15. Jason Forde (Silvermines)
    Subs:
    16. Paul Maher (Moyne-Templetuohy)
    17. Ger Browne (Knockavilla-Donaskeigh Kickhams)
    18. Robert Byrne (Portroe)
    19. Willie Connors (Kiladangan)
    20. Cian Darcy (Kilruane MacDonagh’s)
    21. Alan Flynn (Kiladangan)
    22. Barry Heffernan (Nenagh Éire Óg)
    23. Mark Kehoe (Kilsheelan-Kilcash)
    24. Séamus Kennedy (St Mary’s Clonmel)
    25. Dan McCormack (Borris-Ileigh)
    26. Joe O’Dwyer (Killenaule)

I like Flynn so not thrilled to see him dropped but to be fair, there's probably not a lot between a few of those guys. Changes no harm to keep the thing ticking over. Jake will be chomping at the bit to prove himself so happy to see him in there.

I’d wonder about the balance of the fwds. Given that limerick will bring their usual physical game is jake Morris a bit light ....

I’d wonder about the balance of the fwds. Given that limerick will bring their usual physical game is jake Morris a bit light ....

Possibly, but it looks like he is one of our main fwd subs, so no harm to have a good look at him Sunday with very little at stake.

People say there is not alot at stake the weekend but i dunno to be honest.

If we lost, the negativity that would follow would be unbearable. When we lost to Clare in the Munster league final, the howling in some quarters was beyond ridiculous. Ok there is a risk of getting carried away but to be honest id rather keep momentum and keep the show going. Its championship now. We need to keep the boot on the throat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Triboro

So are Tipp still in the Munster final if they lose to Limerick or is it dependent on other results?

Triboro wrote: »
    So are Tipp still in the Munster final if they lose to Limerick or is it dependent on other results?

Not exactly sure, tipp would need to lose by around 10 and cork would need to win by around 15. Something like that.

Limerick dropping a few has definitely upped the pressure, if they can beat us with half a team in our own back yard we're in serious trouble.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Possibly, but it looks like he is one of our main fwd subs, so no harm to have a good look at him Sunday with very little at stake.

Yes, that's how i'd look at it. I'm sure Morris would look at Kyle Hayes and think he was probably the better of the pair in 2016 so why shouldn't he be making the senior breakthrough now himself? I know lads obviously develop in different ways, but its a good test for him tomorrow and have faith in him to pass it.

Will be a good game. And I think it should be enjoyed as a stand alone game both teams are through and a loss for either will not be their year ended. Actually a loss can be positive and is something you can learn from, the probability in the new system is you will lose games so best to not remain undefeated going into all Ireland series

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,309 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

I'm after coming into a stand ticket given to me in O Riain block 126.
    I can't go.
    If anyone wants to buy it and give me the 20e, pm me here.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Tipp 77

Hopefully Barret and Bonner are ok. Bonner looked to be in serious pain. They are two lads we can't replace.

Barrett looked like he got a hamstring and Bonner did some damage to his knee. Hopefully fingers crossed both will be ok.

Today's game was a complete waste of time, what was the point of playing it? We took it seriously and put out our full team and picked up a rake of injuries and for what? So they could get home advantage in the final? What a load of bollix.

Limerick rested their main men and no doubt they'll be firing for the final. Barrett and Bonner most likely out for the season and big losses they'll be, both were hurling great this year. Really think we should have put out a second 15 today and keep our main lads wrapped in cotton wool. Sheedy wanted to keep momentum going and fair enough but this could come back to haunt us.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Dunno lads.... it’s a contact sport...:injuries happen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

After hearing that Bonner is done for the season. Not a man to stay down lightly.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement