Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Tipperary GAA (Club and Intercounty) Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

Mokuba wrote: »
    They can use it as a wake up call and win the All Ireland because they are well capable. Might be no harm to get their heads back on the ground after winning all 4 games, but making loads of mistakes in those games and getting away with them.

Tipperary looked old out there. Totally overwhelmed and out ran. They could still pull it out and make an All Ireland but Sheedy has to play some young lads now. It's a very big mistake to not blood more under 21s. But saying that Limerick walked all over Tipp...

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Tipp 77

AIts very late in the year to be trying to find solutions to the problems that emerged today.
    Cathal Barret is the obvious solution to some of them but the starting half forward line and anyone who lined up there got cleaned out.
    Jake Morris isn't up to the pace and physicality of senior level yet. Dan McCormack was trying to be everywhere at once but he is probably more effective at midfield than at the wing. Mick Breen was poor today but without Bonner do you have to give him at run in the half forwards.
    We are in a serious bit of bother now. Hopefully we can get going again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

Esse85 wrote: »
    Embarrassing performance, didn't look hungry at all.

Totally disagree, They looked tired, Limerick are generally a younger team and it showed, no one goes out to play a match of that magnitude without hunger....let’s hope they can bounce back !! Agree that we need to get more game time into the younger lads like Mark Kehoe, Ger Browne etc

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭1373

Tipp 77 wrote: »
    AIts very late in the year to be trying to find solutions to the problems that emerged today.
    Cathal Barret is the obvious solution to some of them but the starting half forward line and anyone who lined up there got cleaned out.
    Jake Morris isn't up to the pace and physicality of senior level yet. Dan McCormack was trying to be everywhere at once but he is probably more effective at midfield than at the wing. Mick Breen was poor today but without Bonner do you have to give him at run in the half forwards.
    We are in a serious bit of bother now. Hopefully we can get going again

could not agree with you on jake morris . Considering he was the most prominent tipp forward in my opinion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Round Two - Limerick by KO. Hats off to them, sometimes there's not much you can say but tip your cap to your conquerors, some display of power and athleticism there from mid-point of first half on, just blew us away and nothing we could have done about it on the day i think.

Bonner and Barrett huge losses. Had nothing going in half forwards and though Brendan immense again as usual, we still struggled in full back line and Brendans loss keenly felt further up. Seamie Kennedy did alright to be fair to him.

Will always have great faith in our management, but question of not blooding more players is definitely a fair one. Think changes do have to be considered, one definitely in midfield and maybe in full back line too. Have defended James more than once, but today - though a difficult day for all of them admittedly - wasn't good enough really. I'd toy with the idea of Brendan full back for rest of summer, but might wake up tomorrow and think the better of that. Would love another crack at them before end of summer anyhow, hopefully they can channel the spirit of the 21s last year and give it a good rattle if they get that chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Some mess today. Haven’t seen us ‘give up the ghost’ like that since 2012 against Kilkenny. Absolutely embarrassing.

I disagree with those saying Sheedy needed to bring through more players from u21s.
    I’ve seen nothing from them to justify a starting place for any of them.

Loss of 2 key players really killed us today....I’ve been saying it since cork that our fb line would be exposed....and it really was today.

Congrats limerick. Very hard to stop them now....esp with Galway gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭nw5iytvs0lf1uz

dublin will be tough
    they beat galway and we have just been thrashed by limerick.
    can we still make the final, yes, but the effects of hammerings like today just dont go away and are always in the players minds for the short term. very hard to turn it around after a loss like that.
    if we even do make the final we will not beat that limerick team, not a hope, zero chance. anyone who thinks different should re watch todays horror. limerick are fitter, faster, and more skillful. its their time now.

If we are lucky, we could get a potential Dublin/Wexford run to the final. We're not certainties to beat either of those sides, admittedly, but it does at least give a chance to recalibrate and get maybe Niall up to speed to fill the void left by Bonner. Go into the final as underdog no hopers and we'll have a day out anyway, just like last years 21s. So goes the plan at least!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Today's game was a complete waste of time, what was the point of playing it? We took it seriously and put out our full team and picked up a rake of injuries and for what? So they could get home advantage in the final? What a load of bollix.

Limerick rested their main men and no doubt they'll be firing for the final. Barrett and Bonner most likely out for the season and big losses they'll be, both were hurling great this year. Really think we should have put out a second 15 today and keep our main lads wrapped in cotton wool. Sheedy wanted to keep momentum going and fair enough but this could come back to haunt us.

Not to Harp back to this from last week but leaving semple I really felt Sheedy missed a trick and Kiely resting the players proved the correct choice. You a aren't going to win 7/7 unless you're miles ahead of everyone. Now we're still looking at the bench wondering if lads are good enough to make an impact. We'd nothing to lose in that Limerick game last week and it was a perfect chance to try 3/4 of the fringe players.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Although brendan was excellent today and he kept gillane fairly quiet I feel it's a case of robbing Pieter to pay Paul. We really missed him from the half back line and I think Flynn should have started and kept brendan in the half back line.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

I'm actually fairly positive after today's game, almost as much as if we'd won today as strange as that sounds. First off the more you win more likely you're going to get caught at some stage, better to lose today then in the quarter or semi final.

Secondly I don't think we can play as bad again. Paudie, Noel, John Mc, bubbles, Breen, Forde all really poor today, effort wasn't there, touch and decision making was really poor, yeah Limerick put us under serious pressure but still we weren't at the races. Despite being so poor we stuck with Limerick for large periods.

Thirdly Hogan in goal was outstanding, possible future goalie for many years, yeah he's puck outs weren't great and there's lots to improve on but he's got a puck out that can land in the full forward line and that can prove deadly.

Fourthly! We're all but wrote off now, there's no one giving us a prayer now we're too old, slow and as Loughnane said we're all but finished. Still think there's life in the old dog yet and the summer is far from over, coming in under the radar may suit.

Lastly, Limerick showed their hand today, that's them in full flow and each and every tipp players knows what's coming should we manage to get back to an all Ireland final. Our game plan went to muck 10 minutes before half time where we started to play into limericks hands by hitting aimless high ball down on top of their half back line. Sheedy will have to examine this and I don't think it will happen again. Puck outs need work. Maybe it was having the wind today that we resorted to big high clearances but we need to be alot smarter in possession.

And lastly again, Croker will suit us, we've played most of our best stuff there in recent years and for some reason we always turn in a performance there. Tipp threw in the towel once seamie missed that goal chance, that won't happen when it's do or die I've no doubt.

Hats off to Limerick they're a fantastic team and fair play to McManus for funding development squad upon development squad. They'll be hard bet regardless of how we might improve. Still think cork/kilkenny will give them a right test.

Bottom line, start of the year if you told us that we had to beat Dublin and wexford to get to an all Ireland Final we all would have taken that in a heartbeat.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

I think people are dismissing Wexford all too easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Donadea Leo

We 've dished out a few of those beatings in munster finals and not managed to go all the way, though we had the kilkenny obstacle to overcome. Have to agree with comments on Brendan Maher, he is one of the best half backs in the game, and reads and distributes ball brilliantly, he had a super game today but we need him out the field, I don't think we re as bad as we were today, I think we got a bit lost when we were hitting so many wides in the first half and lost belief that we could win.
    Barrett will be back, Brendan Maher will move out the wing, we need to stop hitting short ball to Barry, he really didn t look comfortable trying to play the ball out and to be fair he is a full back. Can we stop limerick and win the all ireland? I hope that s not what anybody is thinking about, if we 're not drastically better and focused on dublin in the quarter final, we won t get the chance to get beyond that game. We were very good against cork in the opening game and despite some big wins, I don t think we 've been as good since, we need to reproduce that desire to win.
    Fair play to limerick, they 're fitter, stronger, faster and worryingly more accurate than they were last year, they 'll be very hard to stop this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

I'm actually fairly positive after today's game, almost as much as if we'd won today as strange as that sounds. First off the more you win more likely you're going to get caught at some stage, better to lose today then in the quarter or semi final.

Secondly I don't think we can play as bad again. Paudie, Noel, John Mc, bubbles, Breen, Forde all really poor today, effort wasn't there, touch and decision making was really poor, yeah Limerick put us under serious pressure but still we weren't at the races. Despite being so poor we stuck with Limerick for large periods.

Thirdly Hogan in goal was outstanding, possible future goalie for many years, yeah he's puck outs weren't great and there's lots to improve on but he's got a puck out that can land in the full forward line and that can prove deadly.

Fourthly! We're all but wrote off now, there's no one giving us a prayer now we're too old, slow and as Loughnane said we're all but finished. Still think there's life in the old dog yet and the summer is far from over, coming in under the radar may suit.

Lastly, Limerick showed their hand today, that's them in full flow and each and every tipp players knows what's coming should we manage to get back to an all Ireland final. Our game plan went to muck 10 minutes before half time where we started to play into limericks hands by hitting aimless high ball down on top of their half back line. Sheedy will have to examine this and I don't think it will happen again. Puck outs need work. Maybe it was having the wind today that we resorted to big high clearances but we need to be alot smarter in possession.

And lastly again, Croker will suit us, we've played most of our best stuff there in recent years and for some reason we always turn in a performance there. Tipp threw in the towel once seamie missed that goal chance, that won't happen when it's do or die I've no doubt.

Hats off to Limerick they're a fantastic team and fair play to McManus for funding development squad upon development squad. They'll be hard bet regardless of how we might improve. Still think cork/kilkenny will give them a right test.

Bottom line, start of the year if you told us that we had to beat Dublin and wexford to get to an all Ireland Final we all would have taken that in a heartbeat.

There is another big game in Tipperary. But there isnt 3. Not with those old legs. Croke Park is a big big pitch and there ll be more space but Ford, Bubbles and the 2 McGraths are all shooters with no tackles every put in by them. Bubbles was absolutely useless today. If he got a red he would have deserved it. Limerick love playing him. They eat fellas like him for lunch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭g6fdyotp5nj2l7

Esse85 wrote:
    I think people are dismissing Wexford all too easily.

Could have gone either way today. Cats went looking for goals, if they took their points they could have had at least a draw. Having said that today's win will probably bring Wexford on a ton.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

People dismissed us in 2017 too after our hammering against Galway in the league and we played out the real All Ireland final against them in Croker in the Semis, losing by just a point (an unreal one at that). It was the same story then, we don't have the legs, Galway too physical yadda yadda but we were a puck of the ball away from them when it really mattered.

Think people are seriously over-reacting. I'd be very confident that there will only be a point or two either way if we play Limerick again, and there's a chance we won't even play then again should we progress far enough - if Cork manage to make it through to them Cork have Limerick's number more than anyone else right now.

Crazy how it's all toys out of the pram after one defeat. There's only one unbeaten team left in Ireland at the moment so odds are that whoever wins the All Ireland will have been beaten before it.

Today shows limerick are well ahead of everyone but of the remaining 5 cork Kilkenny tipp Dublin Nd Wexford there is very little between them
    I think people are writing off Dublin never mind Wexford

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Mokuba wrote: »
    People dismissed us in 2017 too after our hammering against Galway in the league and we played out the real All Ireland final against them in Croker in the Semis, losing by just a point (an unreal one at that). It was the same story then, we don't have the legs, Galway too physical yadda yadda but we were a puck of the ball away from them when it really mattered.

Think people are seriously over-reacting. I'd be very confident that there will only be a point or two either way if we play Limerick again, and there's a chance we won't even play then again should we progress far enough - if Cork manage to make it through to them Cork have Limerick's number more than anyone else right now.

Crazy how it's all toys out of the pram after one defeat. There's only one unbeaten team left in Ireland at the moment so odds are that whoever wins the All Ireland will have been beaten before it.

Its not the defeat as such, its the manner of it. At half-time I thought if we could get out of there with a less than 7 point beating, we would have done well after an absolutely calamitous first-half. It was a disaster going in 2 points down after playing with that wind.
    But we were beaten by 12, but for Hogan and some very erratic shooting it could have been 20. Thats quite a margin to turn around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,119 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

robbiezero wrote: »
    Its not the defeat as such, its the manner of it. At half-time I thought if we could get out of there with a less than 7 point beating, we would have done well after an absolutely calamitous first-half. It was a disaster going in 2 points down after playing with that wind.
    But we were beaten by 12, but for Hogan and some very erratic shooting it could have been 20. Thats quite a margin to turn around.

that was similar to clares defeat a few weeks ago , the entire county nearly exploded after it

the truth is limerick are playing like clare in the 90s at the moment , alot of hurt and anger after a lean 40 years is coming out of them at the moment , you cant beat hunger

they have a top manager, good tactics and unlike many teams in the country they are playing to there strengths there half back and midfield area is the best in the country and the 3 lads at the back especially mike casey and finn are outstanding also

tipp were never going to go 7 unbeaten championship games to win the all ireland , there was always going to be a lull at some stage today should be put down as an off day against a really good side

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭PhuckHugh22

Is it only Tipp supporters that basically write themselves off after 1 game?
    Id imagine ye will come back from this and challenge Limerick in the final. Tipp got hammered by Cork in 2010 munster final and came back and stopped the 5 in a row that year with Sheedy at the helm, beating probably the best team we have seen in the past 50 years.

Limerick obviously the team to beat but i think ye'd be foolish to write yerselves off after 1 bad game.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Dayor Knight

Id imagine ye will come back from this and challenge Limerick in the final. Tipp got hammered by Cork in 2010 munster final and came back and stopped the 5 in a row that year with Sheedy at the helm, beating probably the best team we have seen in the past 50 years.

Limerick obviously the team to beat but i think ye'd be foolish to write yerselves off after 1 bad game.

Fair play to you for pointing that out. I think it was a first round match against Cork in 2010, though, not the Munster final, but that doesn't change your point. In 2010 we had a favourable series of matches through the qualifiers to get our momentum back.
    A bit less time now, but if we can get over the next one we can still be there with a chance. We can't take anything for granted though.

Tipp got hammered by Cork in 2010 munster final and came back and stopped the 5 in a row that year with Sheedy at the helm, beating probably the best team we have seen in the past 50 years.

Different scenario to 2010 though. Back then we had a couple of handy games to get going again not so this time.
    But for me our biggest problem is Liam has put his faith in the old guard all year and they have a lot of miles on the clock so we will have to wait and see if they can go to the well again.

Seems to be an unwritten rule on here that you cant evaluate a match in any way without writing off one team or crowning the other as all ireland champions or completely dismissing other teams that werent even playing. Who knows? Our 21s got a 13 point pasting in the munster final last year, summarily written off as slow coach no hopers and then, whaddya know, turned up and won the all ireland. Might mean something or might mean nothing. Theres a few of them round the panel anyway, so maybe some of the old stagers might take some note. Try to keep it pucked out to them at least.

Different scenario to 2010 though. Back then we had a couple of handy games to get going again not so this time.
    But for me our biggest problem is Liam has put his faith in the old guard all year and they have a lot of miles on the clock so we will have to wait and see if they can go to the well again.

From the looks of it, he hasn't had much choice really. I'm not really seeing the alternatives at this time.
    There is obviously a bit of a rebuilding job over the next 5 years and replacing some really great players, but you would hope it can be done slowly as at the moment I don't see anything coming up of the caliber of the older players.
    The Mahers and McGraths, Bubbles, Forde etc were stars at minor and u21 level and were very obviously going to be big senior players for Tipperary. Haven't really seen anything equivalent at under age in quite a while. Morris probably the nearest we have at the moment and looks like he could become a good player in a year or so.

robbiezero wrote:
    From the looks of it, he hasn't had much choice really. I'm not really seeing the alternatives at this time.

Agree with you, from what I've seen in the match time some have got and that's all I have to go on, his choice is limited.
    I'm not sure a lot of those older lads have it in the legs to get through extra games required now to win an all Ireland.
    But one way or another the rebuilding will have to start sooner rather than later.

• Advertisement

robbiezero wrote:

Agree with you, from what I've seen in the match time some have got and that's all I have to go on, his choice is limited.
    I'm not sure a lot of those older lads have it in the legs to get through extra games required now to win an all Ireland.
    But one way or another the rebuilding will have to start sooner rather than later.

I did think Ger Browne might have been one lad to make a burst through this year but hasnt happened for whatever reason. When you're not the one on the ground watching these lads week in, week out at training it's hard to know what level they're at. I do know we should be well covered for years ahead, lads like Brian McGrath, Killian O'Dwyer, Conor Whelan, Mark Kehoe and others all with bright futures. And Billy McCarthy hopefully on the comeback trail. Plenty of reason to be optimistic.

As for this crew, personally dont really subscribe to the "legs gone" angle. These OAPs were looking pretty fresh during the munster series to my eyes, one defeat - admittedly a bruising one - doesnt alter that. Whether they could ever live with the intensity on display yesterday is another matter, but i'd love to see them get another chance to find out.

I did think Ger Browne might have been one lad to make a burst through this year but hasnt happened for whatever reason. When you're not the one on the ground watching these lads week in, week out at training it's hard to know what level they're at. I do know we should be well covered for years ahead, lads like Brian McGrath, Killian O'Dwyer, Conor Whelan, Mark Kehoe and others all with bright futures. And Billy McCarthy hopefully on the comeback trail. Plenty of reason to be optimistic.

As for this crew, personally dont really subscribe to the "legs gone" angle. These OAPs were looking pretty fresh during the munster series to my eyes, one defeat - admittedly a bruising one - doesnt alter that. Whether they could ever live with the intensity on display yesterday is another matter, but i'd love to see them get another chance to find out.

Nor me. TJ Reid is 32. None of our lads are that age. Munster fixtures have been kind to us, 3 games in the last 6 weeks and there is plenty recovery time in the forthcoming fixtures if we can go farther in the series.

robbiezero wrote: »
    Nor me. TJ Reid is 32. None of our lads are that age. Munster fixtures have been kind to us, 3 games in the last 6 weeks and there is plenty recovery time in the forthcoming fixtures if we can go farther in the series.

Yeah, i mean i do get the point that a few of our lads have a lot of hurling played over the last decade, but its not a sport your on the go flat out 12 months of the year and i think we are very well conditioned this year so i dont think they're in danger of collapse anytime soon. Munster overall wasnt that demanding and there is recovery time now as you say. Bottom line for me is forget Limerick now, and concentrate on getting to a final, we've a good chance of that. Two tough games to come but they're both winnable and, just to be absolutely, unambiguously clear, that doesnt mean i'm writing off Dublin or Wexford or even both.

i think we are very well conditioned this year so i dont think they're in danger of collapse anytime soon.

With the exception of the first 20 minutes yesterday we pretty much collapsed.
    Mentally forgetting yesterdays beating could be easier said than done.
    Dublin won't be a gimme either.

• Advertisement

With the exception of the first 20 minutes yesterday we pretty much collapsed.
    Mentally forgetting yesterdays beating could be easier said than done.
    Dublin won't be a gimme either.

I would say we were very much second best in nearly all departments, bar Brendan, but i dont think "collapse" is quite the right word. It was level game with 25 minutes to go. If Seamie's goal chance goes in, we're still in it 10 minutes to go. Not that i want to go down that route of if my auntie had etc etc. We were well beat and no mistake, and perhaps there will be mental scars...hard to know. Could also be enhanced desire for retribution, some of these guys might not have another chance for an all ireland, get to a final and give it everything for 70 minutes and who knows? Is anybody saying dublin are a gimmee....they've beaten us once already this year, so why not again? But it's better than facing Cork isn't it? And i'd rather face Wexford than face any of the other possibles if we get to a sf. Thats not dismissing any of them, just stating a personal preference.

Well it looked pretty much like a collapse from where I was sat. Ask for talking about ifs and buts I have no idea how we were only two down at half time and if anything the 12 point defeat flattered us. Make no mistake we were well and truly beaten yesterday and it won't be easily forgotten.
    But like you say if there is a handy side to the draw we've got it and if we can make it to a final against Limerick who knows.

Well it looked pretty much like a collapse from where I was sat. Ask for talking about ifs and buts I have no idea how we were only two down at half time and if anything the 12 point defeat flattered us. Make no mistake we were well and truly beaten yesterday and it won't be easily forgotten.
    But like you say if there is a handy side to the draw we've got it and if we can make it to a final against Limerick who knows.

No argument, we were hockeyed, as simple as that and i dont want to be the comical ali of the thread pretending all we got was a flesh wound. But i do have great faith in these players, and in management, and if there is a silver lining to take from it, i think rather than leave scars it will likely increase resolve not to see a repeat happen if they do cross swords again. Think they will just be thinking about the dubs for the moment though, one step at a time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 684 ✭✭✭farmerval

A few chickens came home to roost yesterday though.
    James Barry is really an accident waiting to happen against a really good team. Limerick's control around the middle third meant the quality of ball in really exposed his lack of pace.

I thought watching on the telly we looked a bit dead even from the start, a little heavy legged, maybe John Kiely was right about rotating?

One thing we lacked was any runners off the shoulder out of the half back line the man with the ball had very few options around him and was subsequently easier to bottle up.

The lack of mobility in mid field was also a factor, Limericks new guy there is a serious beast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Was at game yesterday. 2 things that stood out watching it was the complete inability of our fwds to contest high ball. Second was the crisp passing of the limerick ‘middle 8’

Heard Shane mc giving out about the small tipp crowd and then leaving early. My ticket yesterday was awful. Nightmare getting tickets too. Bit unfair of him I thought.

Re james Barry, how many times did hogan hit a short pass to him. He took an extra touch, and had to play it out under pressure with no great direction. Hogan would’ve been better belting it himself. His messing caused the 2nd goal which was a complete killer.... though limerick would’ve won anyway

If it was a 13 man game with no subs we’d be lethal. We’ve a poor enough squad from what I’ve seen so far. Kennedy and o brien yesterday were killing us. Breen had another stinker. He must be the least consistent player we have. The fwds bar Callinan were dire too.

Problem with our under 21's from last year is that they're fairly small and don't have the physique required. The bigger lads off that team are slow.

Limericks two half line are huge, we were pucking high ball down on top of bubbles and expecting him to compete with Hannon who's 6 foot 5. Not only where they bigger and stronger they were also faster and first to every ball. Certainly alot to work on. Still give us a chance off getting past Dublin and then after that who knows.

Not sure there's too many young lads with the size and ability required. Minors were desperate this year. Hopefully Cahill can work magic again with the under 20's next Tuesday night.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

digzy wrote: »
    Was at game yesterday. 2 things that stood out watching it was the complete inability of our fwds to contest high ball. Second was the crisp passing of the limerick ‘middle 8’

Heard Shane mc giving out about the small tipp crowd and then leaving early. My ticket yesterday was awful. Nightmare getting tickets too. Bit unfair of him I thought.

Re james Barry, how many times did hogan hit a short pass to him. He took an extra touch, and had to play it out under pressure with no great direction. Hogan would’ve been better belting it himself. His messing caused the 2nd goal which was a complete killer.... though limerick would’ve won anyway

If it was a 13 man game with no subs we’d be lethal. We’ve a poor enough squad from what I’ve seen so far. Kennedy and o brien yesterday were killing us. Breen had another stinker. He must be the least consistent player we have. The fwds bar Callinan were dire too.

Strange thing for me is if you were picking an identikit Tipperary player to take on that Limerick team, you'd probably come up with something close to Mikey Breen. He's probably the most powerful and athletic player we have, yet in those tight encounters when the intensity drives up, it just doesn't seem to suit him. Not really blaming him for it, just doesn't seem to have that type of game in him. Not sure I saw him hurl a single ball yesterday, he probably did but its not sticking out in my mind anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 684 ✭✭✭farmerval

This is a huge bugbear of mine, players taking the ball on the stick when it should be in the hand. That split second is huge.

As well as big Limericks two half lines they are serious athletes, they cover the ground in a way that Tipp just don't have the players for. Their half forward's ability with the midfielders to get back and offer supporting runs for defenders in possession is massive.
    Limerick are also very skilful in their short passing, flicks to keep possession going forward all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Donadea Leo

Strange thing for me is if you were picking an identikit Tipperary player to take on that Limerick team, you'd probably come up with something close to Mikey Breen. He's probably the most powerful and athletic player we have, yet in those tight encounters when the intensity drives up, it just doesn't seem to suit him. Not really blaming him for it, just doesn't seem to have that type of game in him. Not sure I saw him hurl a single ball yesterday, he probably did but its not sticking out in my mind anyway.

To be fair to Mikey Breen I think the balance on midfield is wrong. He is definitely at his best running on to loose ball or passes from the half forwards and driving at the opposition defense. That s even more vital imo now that Bonner is out. He s an athlete though who 'll do that all day for you. Unfortunately, unlike Bonner he needs someone else to win the ball for him so the half forward line need to be doing this. Not sure if we have someone in our arsenal to do this.
    Noel at midfield I personally Don't think is working, he s a bigger threat in the forwards and we 're left without a defensive midfielder, I d like to see Alan Flynn get a run there, Brendan did the job there but we need him in the half back line where he is best. Flynn could sit in front of the half back line and add an extra distribution point and cover for big half forwards coming out the field. It would have been handy on Sunday and might have reduced the influence if Kyle Hayes. I also think Ronan and padraig Maher need to swap positions again. I don t think Jake Morris is there yet but he s getting good game time so that' ll help his development. I don t think we 're a million miles away from where we need to be, a bit of luck and resilience will make this a good season, fingers crossed.

All Ireland quarter final Tipperary v Dublin/Laois 4pm July 14th Croke Park

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭osullic

All Ireland quarter final Tipperary v Dublin/Laois 4pm July 14th Croke Park

Are tickets going on sale before the Laois v Dublin game?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭tipp_tipp_tipp

Sickened by that venue announcement, thought they'd have it as a double header in Thurles.

I'm not too bothered with croker, even though they get home advantage think the field will suit us alot more.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

The venue is good in that if we manage to beat Dublin we will game time in croker before Wexford game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

I'm not too bothered with croker, even though they get home advantage think the field will suit us alot more.

Whatever about the footballers, Croke Park is not our home ground!

Would have preferred had it been in Tullamore or Portlaoise.

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Whatever about the footballers, Croke Park is not our home ground!

Would have preferred had it been in Tullamore or Portlaoise.

True, but it's in your own county, your players/supporters don't have to travel far.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭grimbergen

Sickened by that venue announcement, thought they'd have it as a double header in Thurles.

why would they give you home advantage??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

grimbergen wrote: »
    why would they give you home advantage??

They gave Dublin home advantage? Why not Tipp by that logic.

Jaysus we can't be asking the Dubs to come to Thurles they haven't recovered from the 2001 trip yet :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Is there some home and away agreement between Tipp and Dublin I wonder. Tipp had home advantage in the league quarter final when Dublin defeated them in Semple Stadium. I don't remember any moaning from Dublin at the time so perhaps there is an agreement.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement