Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Tipperary GAA (Club and Intercounty) Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Donadea Leo

Wow what a game that was and I think a great result for us. If and a big if we can get over wexford, I don't think we d fear kilkenny. They played a great game but they 're definitely beatable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Wow what a game that was and I think a great result for us. If and a big if we can get over wexford, I don't think we d fear kilkenny. They played a great game but they 're definitely beatable.

IF we do get over tomorrow, I'm quiet happy to meet kilkenny than Limerick, never shouted for kilkenny before but tonight(once off) I did, I'm kind of worried about tomorrow but will head up in the morning ... Hopefully they can turn it on like we know/believe they can.

IF we do get over tomorrow, I'm quiet happy to meet kilkenny than Limerick, never shouted for kilkenny before but tonight(once off) I did, I'm kind of worried about tomorrow but will head up in the morning ... Hopefully they can turn it on like we know/believe they can.

Snap, almost afraid to admit it. Though that s gone now as the only thing better than winning an all ire land is beating kilkenny in an all ireland. Both teams tomorrow will believe their chances of winning an all ireland have just increased. Go on the premiere!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

I’m worried for us tomorrow.
    Limerick died like champions tonight....we’re second best but lost by 1.

Our lads have a remarkable ability to implode.
    ( league ‘16, ‘17 and this years munster final)
    Don’t think Wexford have the players to destroy us but are our lads able to die with their boots on in a rugged close game?

Hope I’m wrong and we win .(by any margin preferably only 1 to keep down the hype machine)

That’s not a great Kilkenny team but they’re better than Wexford

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

digzy wrote: »
    I’m worried for us tomorrow.
    Limerick died like champions tonight....we’re second best but lost by 1.

Our lads have a remarkable ability to implode.
    ( league ‘16, ‘17 and this years munster final)
    Don’t think Wexford have the players to destroy us but are our lads able to die with their boots on in a rugged close game?

Hope I’m wrong and we win .(by any margin preferably only 1 to keep down the hype machine)

That’s not a great Kilkenny team but they’re better than Wexford

We dont implode in croke park bar the 2012 debacle

iebamm2580 wrote: »
    We dont implode in croke park bar the 2012 debacle

And as I said. We won't implode tomorrow. I would question our lads in a battle all the same.

In a match like tonight's we'd have come out second best.

A gripping game but I didn't enjoy it as a neutral

Tipp have to play game on our terms, we are unlikely to win ugly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Must say watching that match, i couldnt help wondering how on earth we'd cope in such a war, but think previous post is spot on, the trick for us would be not letting it develop that way in the first place. Key to beating Limerick is snuffing out their central axis - hannon, lynch, hayes, gillane. I think Kilkenny were equipped for that in a way we just weren't, we dont have a tj reid for a start. Have to say i do prefer the style with which we play, but that was a fiercely enjoyable encounter all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭nw5iytvs0lf1uz

Limerick were poor today especially first half and had some very poor misses.
    That is an average Kilkenny team and tipp and Wexford will be both happy to meet them over limerick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,480 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Limerick were poor today especially first half and had some very poor misses.
    That is an average Kilkenny team and tipp and Wexford will be both happy to meet them over limerick.

And de nile is a river in Egypt...the more average the better I say- not a prayer against Tipperary it Wexford!

• Advertisement

A river in Africa would be more accurate since it passes through 11 countries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

Half time and while we haven't been anywhere near our best, we have to beat Wexford and a crook referee. The amount of calls given to them, or frees given against us and the same thing not penalised for them, as well as the 2 goal incidents. I've never seen anything so blatantly wrong tbh.

Hopefully the players can use the fact they are against 16 men to fire them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭plumber77

Mokuba wrote: »
    Half time and while we haven't been anywhere near our best, we have to beat Wexford and a crook referee. The amount of calls given to them, or frees given against us and the same thing not penalised for them, as well as the 2 goal incidents. I've never seen anything so blatantly wrong tbh.

Wexford finding incredible amount of space. The worry is they find more as Tipp tired. Saying that we have improved and are a goal threat. Agree on ref. Some very soft ones. Hopefully we will get them 2nd half

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭1373

He is trying to make up for being too friendly with Paudi in earlier rounds , other than that our man marking is the worst I’ve seen in a long time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

crook ref is rubbish. Made a few poor decisions, anyone can. They're human but crook? That's damn unfair and not true.

If players have to use supposed bias from a ref to help them then they shouldn't be on the pitch

Heroic stuff. Absolutely heroic to come back from 5 down and 14 men to win.

Unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Tipp 77

No one can ever question their spirit,courage heart and determination after that effort

crook ref is rubbish. Made a few poor decisions, anyone can. They're human but crook? That's damn unfair and not true.

If players have to use supposed bias from a ref to help them then they shouldn't be on the pitch

If we’d lost that, the ref would have some serious questions to answer. That jake Morris one was a horror.

However I respect that being a ref is a difficult job. They need help for next year in terms of VAR.
    Unfair to put that much pressure/responsibly on one man.

Tipp 77 wrote: »
    No one can ever question their spirit,courage heart and determination after that effort

I questioned em here on numerous occasions
    Delighted I was wrong. Some character

• Advertisement

I questioned em here on numerous occasions
    Delighted I was wrong. Some character

Super super super, every sub that came on made an impact, bubbles had a super second half. Final should be another epic, they out fought wexford in the second half, I too wasn t sure they had that ability. Wexford were better than I thought also, took good scores, and not too many wides until the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭nw5iytvs0lf1uz

that was truly brilliant.
    but if we had lost that the ref would have been in serious bother
    3 goals ruled out, a wexford goal that was a square ball and some overall bizarre wexford frees.
    i know reffing is a tough gig but that performance was disgraceful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

If we’d lost that, the ref would have some serious questions to answer. That jake Morris one was a horror.

However I respect that being a ref is a difficult job. They need help for next year in terms of VAR.
    Unfair to put that much pressure/responsibly on one man.

The lady on the Sunday Game called it before the game, in fairness. Suggested that the ref shouldn't have been put in that position.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭1373

Of all his funny calls, the jake Morris goal was an easy one to get right . The hawk eye point was a difficult call to get right. He surely couldn’t give Tipp a goal and Wexford a point at the same time

Nerves still havent settled yet...some rollercoaster ride. When Chins goal went in i was stoically accepting defeat, just hoping we'd keep it respectable...and when we started chipping back into the lead i was cursing them to be honest, cos i thought we'd get back to a point or maybe level and they'd simply pull away again, thus prolonging the agony!

But they were heroes to a man today, we did question them to be fair and they answered the call with interest. Ronans finest hour in a tipp jersey surely? Cathal had a few slips, but stood firm when it mattered, one sensational steal towards the end. The quality of Noel and Brendan, all time Tipp legends now. Seamie started to turn the tide when moving to 11, all the subs - as mentioned - made contributions which augurs well for the future beyond this summer which, happily and proudly, goes on for another 3 weeks at least!

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭El Vino

Watching it now again on the Sunday Game, everything went against us - well except we could have a second red and we still won.
    I think Wexford ran out of gas, their running game must take a fair toil, puck out strategy was also odd for last 10 mins , kept going long despite having extra man.
    Great to see all the subs contributed also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Congratulations to Tipp. So many breaks went against them with two disallowed goals and a sending off that may have caused another team to buckle. Ground it out and showed huge heart.

Callanan's goal a thing of beauty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Just got the WhatsApp on our club about this.
    We’re thinking of bringing a few juveniles. Is it a waste of time or would they meet any players?

Presume it’ll be the only ‘open’ session?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Bigger than an all Ireland for that group of players that have had all sorts of stuff said about their bottle for the last 10 years

Fantastic stuff from Tipperary yesterday. These boys answered alot of questions about their character. Some great comments on here today. The officiating went to pot yesterday but Sean Cleere is just one man and cant be held responsible alone. Yes i thought the advantage should have been played for Jakes goal and the first goal should have stood (nothing wrong with it). In his defence though, the second disallowed goal from John McGrath was a tough one to call.

He was made aware far too late that it was a point and id have to question the technology there (something ive followed blindly since its introduction). Hogans hand looked straight as he took that ball. We havent the benefit of angles, but on the RTE replay (from the front) it looked well in and looking at in in realtime its hard to believe the whole of the sliothar went over the bar.
    He had no choice to send off John and Barry Heffo (who had a fine game) can perhaps consider himself lucky.

Impressed with Wexford yesterday. They looked outstanding. Such a fit, athletic team full of running. Bit more experience would have made all the difference but i think they can go places if they hold on to Davy. He's done an excellent job with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Seriously impressed with the Tipp response to going down to 14 men... savage performance from the sending off to the finish and ye definitely deserved the victory. Noel McGrath was a joy to watch. Looking forward to the final.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Fantastic stuff from Tipperary yesterday. These boys answered alot of questions about their character. Some great comments on here today. The officiating went to pot yesterday but Sean Cleere is just one man and cant be held responsible alone. Yes i thought the advantage should have been played for Jakes goal and the first goal should have stood (nothing wrong with it). In his defence though, the second disallowed goal from John McGrath was a tough one to call.

He was made aware far too late that it was a point and id have to question the technology there (something ive followed blindly since its introduction). Hogans hand looked straight as he took that ball. We havent the benefit of angles, but on the RTE replay (from the front) it looked well in and looking at in in realtime its hard to believe the whole of the sliothar went over the bar.
    He had no choice to send off John and Barry Heffo (who had a fine game) can perhaps consider himself unlucky.

Impressed with Wexford yesterday. They looked outstanding. Such a fit, athletic team full of running. Bit more experience would have made all the difference but i think they can go places if they hold on to Davy. He's done an excellent job with them.

Fair play to Tipp. Wexford really should have seen it out, but took great determination and guts to fight back and win it out.

I dont agree with so much of the talk being about how the referee was awful for Tipp only. As noted, Heffernan should have walked too. And there was an absolute stone wall penalty for Conor McDonald not given too. I dont think it was a square ball for his goal and I think the only TIpp goal not given that should have stood was the third one for Morris. But hey, thems the breaks, just that the ref wasnt exactly wearing a Wexford jersey either, we had out own faults with him and found it very hard to get a free after the sending off.

Regardless of refereeing performance, you get what you deserve out of games, and Tipp deserved it. Wexford had the opportunity to close it out and couldnt.

Bit annoyed with Barry Heffernan to be honest, had a fine game yesterday, showed plenty of fire and aggression all in the right way and then goes and does that. Was only a tip to be fair and DOK made meal of it, but thats what players do nowadays and that could have cost Barry his AI final chance. John Mac was our second stroke of luck yesterday, that could easily have been a straight red and it would have been terrible because the chap doesnt have a cynical bone in his body. Have a feeling redemption might await him in three weeks, bit like Bubbles in 2016. Think either KK corner-back could be made for him to have a productive afternoon.

Another pleasing aspect yesterday was seeing our 30 year old geriatric OAPs galloping to the line while the Wexford thoroughbreds trailed in the distance with empty gas tanks. Conditioning is superb this year, just like 3 years ago.

Just got the WhatsApp on our club about this.
    We’re thinking of bringing a few juveniles. Is it a waste of time or would they meet any players?

Presume it’ll be the only ‘open’ session?

Would imagine this will be one and only opportunity. Have been to a couple in the past and it's generally been a free for all on the pitch after a light training session, all the players available for autographs and selfies. Depends on the crowd numbers present, but sounds like a good evening out for kids to me anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭Field east

1373 wrote: »
    Of all his funny calls, the jake Morris goal was an easy one to get right . The hawk eye point was a difficult call to get right. He surely couldn’t give Tipp a goal and Wexford a point at the same time

Yes he could. Take the following scenario. If the ,say, the Tipp goalie plucked the ball out and deep into the Wexford half. The refs mind and focus followed the ball and after , say one minutes play from the puck out Tipp scored a goal.

Now , in the meantime , immediately after the puck out the Tipp fullback and Wexford fullforward ‘laced’ into each other while using their Hurley’s for maximum effect - a straight red card offense. The umpire immediately sought the notice of the ref- who only became aware of the umpire’s request after the goal was scored.

IMHO , the goal would stand and the two players would be red carded.
    The principal for both scenarios are the same

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭LMK

Date: 27-05-2018, 21:59
    LMK wrote: »
    This Tipp team should be cherished .
    Since '09 give or take a year or 2 Tipp were the only Team that had the ability to seriously trouble Kilkenny, as a neutral I'll never forget those games, or the players that made them. Tipp & KK contested some of the most memorable games I've ever seen. They've won 2 All-Irelands in that time one more than anyone except KK and they've played hurling at times that was as good as any hurling I've ever seen played.
    I saw their character questioned by a lot of the professional pundits especially recently but always included was the provisio they are brilliant hurlers but put in a way that it is a backhanded compliment almost.
    What I saw today in the 2nd half was the essence of this team when the backs were really against the wall they turned to their hurling but also their character to stop the decline.
    They've lost at times to inferior opponents but the '09 to '18 Tipp team is the one I'd watch over all over county teams I've seen - Tipp and the rest of the Hurling world will miss them when they finally go.

Just saying (again) like!!

Field east wrote: »
    Yes he could. Take the following scenario. If the ,say, the Tipp goalie plucked the ball out and deep into the Wexford half. The refs mind and focus followed the ball and after , say one minutes play from the puck out Tipp scored a goal.

Now , in the meantime , immediately after the puck out the Tipp fullback and Wexford fullforward ‘laced’ into each other while using their Hurley’s for maximum effect - a straight red card offense. The umpire immediately sought the notice of the ref- who only became aware of the umpire’s request after the goal was scored.

IMHO , the goal would stand and the two players would be red carded.
    The principal for both scenarios are the same

The difference being that the hawkeye point broke the play. Once awarded the play had to restart from there. This would allowed wexford to reorganize and possibly prevented the goal.

Bit annoyed with Barry Heffernan to be honest, had a fine game yesterday, showed plenty of fire and aggression all in the right way and then goes and does that. Was only a tip to be fair and DOK made meal of it, but thats what players do nowadays and that could have cost Barry his AI final chance. John Mac was our second stroke of luck yesterday, that could easily have been a straight red and it would have been terrible because the chap doesnt have a cynical bone in his body. Have a feeling redemption might await him in three weeks, bit like Bubbles in 2016. Think either KK corner-back could be made for him to have a productive afternoon.

Another pleasing aspect yesterday was seeing our 30 year old geriatric OAPs galloping to the line while the Wexford thoroughbreds trailed in the distance with empty gas tanks. Conditioning is superb this year, just like 3 years ago.

One thing i picked up on too Joe. Wexford looked very heavy legged that last 10-15 mins and you'd swear we had the extra man but then there is only so many lung bursting runs you can make. Thats a frailty of the sweeper system too. Sometimes your better letting the ball do the work. Even Lee Chin who looks a ferocious specimen, was looking jaded.

Sheedy made conditioning his number one priority this year and its paid off. I dont think we were anywhere in this good a shape since Lukas done his last year with us in 2016

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭Field east

plumber77 wrote: »
    The difference being that the hawkeye point broke the play. Once awarded the play had to restart from there. This would allowed wexford to reorganize and possibly prevented the goal.

Yes if Hawkeye was used but it was not. The ref, unaware of what apparently happened, continued the match up to the Tipp goal - unless there is a rule covering your point.
    I am baffled as to why ref did not refer to Hawkeye re the apparent point. Does Hawkeye track all balls going towards the goalpost uprights. Did he ask upstairs at the time who had access to Hawkeye but chose not to show it to the public’s?

The exact same thing happened in that last seconds of the Lim Kil match re the sideline cut that was deflected wide by a Kil player- therefor a 65 for Lim. If spotted by the ref a successful strike would have drawn the game. Did anyone bring it to the notice of the ref? The umpires /sideline men certainly did not . Did the ref ignore the players pleading and relies only on his staff? And does Hawkeye pick those kind of things also?

Ht

Yes if Hawkeye was used but it was not. The ref, unaware of what apparently happened, continued the match up to the Tipp goal - unless there is a rule covering your point.
    I am baffled as to why ref did not refer to Hawkeye re the apparent point. Does Hawkeye track all balls going towards the goalpost uprights. Did he ask upstairs at the time who had access to Hawkeye but chose not to show it to the public’s?

The exact same thing happened in that last seconds of the Lim Kil match re the sideline cut that was deflected wide by a Kil player- therefor a 65 for Lim. If spotted by the ref a successful strike would have drawn the game. Did anyone bring it to the notice of the ref? The umpires /sideline men certainly did not . Did the ref ignore the players pleading and relies only on his staff? And does Hawkeye pick those kind of things also?

Ht

Hawkeye was used just 30 secs after incident. It did show it on the big screen as well. Hawkeye picks up anything that breaks the between the posts and a couple of metres either side. It would not have picked up anything regarding the Limerick sideline.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

plumber77 wrote: »
    Hawkeye was used just 30 secs after incident. It did show it on the big screen as well. Hawkeye picks up anything that breaks the between the posts and a couple of metres either side. It would not have picked up anything regarding the Limerick sideline.

I don't think Hawkeye uses goal line technology it just shows the trajectory. Therefore Hawkeye could not confirm that the ball was completely over the bar and looking at the replay it definitely wasn't.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

I don't think Hawkeye uses goal line technology it just shows the trajectory. Therefore Hawkeye could not confirm that the ball was completely over the bar and looking at the replay it definitely wasn't.
    I think anything that breaks the line between above the cross bar and between the 2 posts. Nothing underneath though as the keeper would be constantly breaking it. Could be wrong and probably am. Hopefully we can win the final without any doubt

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

Ht

I was in a box at a nice angle for the point and we were adamant it was a point so kept watching umpires. After Hogan cleared it .the umpire on the Hogan stand side got a message in his ear .held his hand up to his ear by his body language .He was listening to something we said it would be called back then the ball was in the net at the other end.it was only then he got the refs attention. Definitely their was some communication from Hawkeye.
    The sideline incident in the Kilkenny game .happened to be in the cusack at that spot. Firstly Paul Murphy through the ball up and a limerick player
    Jumped in ball struck him on the back Kilkenny line ball no doubts.
    Buckley absolutely got a touch. A limerick hurley carrier was in front of me. And he went to the lines man and he agreed he was frantically trying to press the buzzer to tell the ref when full time was blown. The limerick
    Hurley carrier almost died on the spot

I was in a box at a nice angle for the point and we were adamant it was a point so kept watching umpires. After Hogan cleared it .the umpire on the Hogan stand side got a message in his ear .held his hand up to his ear by his body language .He was listening to something we said it would be called back then the ball was in the net at the other end.it was only then he got the refs attention. Definitely their was some communication from Hawkeye.
    The sideline incident in the Kilkenny game .happened to be in the cusack at that spot. Firstly Paul Murphy through the ball up and a limerick player
    Jumped in ball struck him on the back Kilkenny line ball no doubts.
    Buckley absolutely got a touch. A limerick hurley carrier was in front of me. And he went to the lines man and he agreed he was frantically trying to press the buzzer to tell the ref when full time was blown. The limerick
    Hurley carrier almost died on the spot

Amazing you were so lucky to be in such positions for 2 pivotal moments, no matter where you are sitting in croke park you could not distinguish between hogans hand and the sliotar over crossbar.

Amazing you were so lucky to be in such positions for 2 pivotal moments, no matter where you are sitting in croke park you could not distinguish between hogans hand and the sliotar over crossbar.

It was freakish to be in those two spots premium level near the hill .but the few around us were expecting a call back before the goal..but we new their was a issue by the umpire

It was freakish to be in those two spots premium level near the hill .but the few around us were expecting a call back before the goal..but we new their was a issue by the umpire
    Unbelievable some would say, the camera replay couldn't distinguish so don't know how lads in the stand could maybe unconscious bias ha.

Unbelievable some would say, the camera replay couldn't distinguish so don't know how lads in the stand could maybe unconscious bias ha.

Nothing unconscious about .wexford got every bit of luck going and died in the last 10mins .would ye sell noel mcgrath .We were ready to dance at the crossroads.
    Should be good final:

Nothing unconscious about .wexford got every bit of luck going and died in the last 10mins .would ye sell noel mcgrath .We were ready to dance at the crossroads.
    Should be good final:

Yeah good final, be torture to lose it for either side. Reckon ye would rather lose to Wexford rather than us.

Yeah good final, be torture to lose it for either side. Reckon ye would rather lose to Wexford rather than us.

The whole wexford davy bandwagon would hav brought a new dimension. And complete crackedness
    With ye it's just business both teams no how to prepare for a final.
    And no what it means to lose one.
    Wouldn't get off our pony now think we are improving

• Advertisement

Wexford must have had 7 or 8 fellas drop down with cramp in the last 15 minutes. None of ours did and we were the man down. Don't know if that came across on TV.

So proud of them, to wrongly have almost everything go against them, and get a sending off (deserved). To come back from 5 down with 14 men, and then to claw back another goal conceded after was special stuff.

Final is impossible to call, 50/50 game, whichever team turns up on the day will take it because I can't separate us and them in ability. Just hope we don't leave it behind us like 09 and 14.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement