Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Tipperary GAA (Club and Intercounty) Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 415 ✭✭BOSTIK

Team selection vindication, looks like the 21s will have to serve their time, but they're getting there.

A Kilkenny work colleague was extolling Sunday's game, I'm really looking forward to watching it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

One thing i picked up on too Joe. Wexford looked very heavy legged that last 10-15 mins and you'd swear we had the extra man but then there is only so many lung bursting runs you can make. Thats a frailty of the sweeper system too. Sometimes your better letting the ball do the work. Even Lee Chin who looks a ferocious specimen, was looking jaded.

Sheedy made conditioning his number one priority this year and its paid off. I dont think we were anywhere in this good a shape since Lukas done his last year with us in 2016

That is it absolutely, 100 per cent. "Nothing in hurling travels faster than the ball," a wise old hurling head always says to me, let the sliotar do the work. Old fashioned maybe, but will always make sense to me.

One of the first things Sheedy talked about was the conditioning alright, getting O Caireallain was a great stroke as he's one of the most highly rated in the business and could have had any number of offers of work. Sheedys position in Sport Ireland and the network he has built up would be invaluable i'd say. He's a details man and we were blessed he made the decision to come back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

One thing i picked up on too Joe. Wexford looked very heavy legged that last 10-15 mins and you'd swear we had the extra man but then there is only so many lung bursting runs you can make. Thats a frailty of the sweeper system too. Sometimes your better letting the ball do the work. Even Lee Chin who looks a ferocious specimen, was looking jaded.

Sheedy made conditioning his number one priority this year and its paid off. I dont think we were anywhere in this good a shape since Lukas done his last year with us in 2016

The person responsible for the conditioning in 17 and 18 was the same as 2016.

mushykeogh wrote: »

Dont think so, lukas went on to Galway and more all ireland glory in '17. Could be wrong but i think it was Gary Ryan maybe was doing the S&C past couple of years? Not having a go at him at all if it was, but lukas was a major loss, definitely.

Dont think so, lukas went on to Galway and more all ireland glory in '17. Could be wrong but i think it was Gary Ryan maybe was doing the S&C past couple of years? Not having a go at him at all if it was, but lukas was a major loss, definitely.

Gary Ryan looked after all pitch conditioning since Eamonn o shea started.Lukasz was gym.

• Advertisement

Gary Ryan looked after all pitch conditioning since Eamonn o shea started.Lukasz was gym.

Right, fair enough. It was obviously S&C we were referring to, but they're all part of the team in fairness and deserve the plaudits. I could never figure out who took over after Lukasz, think i recall asking a few people over past couple of years but not sure i ever got an answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭nw5iytvs0lf1uz

Open night tomorrow in thurles. Hope there is a good crowd. Get as many at it as possible.

Right, fair enough. It was obviously S&C we were referring to, but they're all part of the team in fairness and deserve the plaudits. I could never figure out who took over after Lukasz, think i recall asking a few people over past couple of years but not sure i ever got an answer.

You should have just asked me 😂😂😂

No Lukas Kirkinstein left in 2016. A replacement came in for him (i think he was with Thurles Sarsfields prior to being appointed). I think having a settled team has also made a huge difference this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Ompala

Don't see it mentioned here, what did people make of dropping James Barry and playing Seamus Kennedy?

• Advertisement

Ompala wrote: »
    Don't see it mentioned here, what did people make of dropping James Barry and playing Seamus Kennedy?

On the basis James wasnt great against Laois and Seamus had done fairly well when on the field this summer, cant say it was the greatest shock. Think it might have been influenced by the tactics - Brendan and Cathal were going to mark McDonald and O'Connor, so it probably made sense to have Seamus come in on the wing. Though they all moved around so much, it was hard to tell sometimes! Thought he had decent game anyway and Barry Heff was magnificent so changes definitely worked. On basis Kilkenny will likely strike a lot more high ball, i still think James might get nod for final. But both Seamus and Barry will be gunning for a starting spot now and the competition is what you want to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭1373

With all the euphoria of our win on Sunday, I must be the only one thinking that our backs were awful for the first half . Wexford had players totally unmarked near our own goal . One of our corner backs was rounded every time he was taken on ,thankfully our forwards kept it ticking over in both halves . Great second half by all though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,309 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Just on a slightly different beat..
    I'm putting a call out for us all to get behind our team.
    I'm a regular to Kilkenny and the hype and the buzz around that county and city in the run up to an All Ireland is contagious.
    The bunting, flags, teddies, spray paint is in your face on every corner and every street.
    There's a mobile shop parked up in the city selling Kilkenny merchandise usually.
    I think Tipperary people are guilty of not getting into the spirit of backing our team and getting caught up in the atmosphere.
    Lets get the flags out; buy new ones. Get the streamers on the car aerials. Paint a few round bales blue and gold.
    Get behind Liam and the boys, don't just turn up on the day. Let them know we're proud now!!

To thine own self be true

No Lukas Kirkinstein left in 2016. A replacement came in for him (i think he was with Thurles Sarsfields prior to being appointed). I think having a settled team has also made a huge difference this year

Yes he left in 2016 and Gary remained looking after conditioning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭robbiezero

1373 wrote: »
    With all the euphoria of our win on Sunday, I must be the only one thinking that our backs were awful for the first half . Wexford had players totally unmarked near our own goal . One of our corner backs was rounded every time he was taken on ,thankfully our forwards kept it ticking over in both halves . Great second half by all though

More than our backs in fairness. Most of the problems came from deep. O'Keefe, Murphy,even the full back etc running at us.
    Barrett had an unusually torrid time of it, didn't look himself at all, possibly carrying an injury, although they way he burst out with the ball in injury time, there didn't look to be anything wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Barrett kept getting rounded easily. Sold himself a few times in dangerous areas. Wasn't like him. Any sort of side step and the forward was past him. Was thinking maybe it was down to the dodgy hamstring but he looked very good in possession and finished strongly so it was a strange one.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Barrett kept getting rounded easily. Sold himself a few times in dangerous areas. Wasn't like him. Any sort of side step and the forward was past him. Was thinking maybe it was down to the dodgy hamstring but he looked very good in possession and finished strongly so it was a strange one.

What I found weird was how he stopped a few times after being rounded. While it was almost certain that the forward would take the point, I was surprised that he wasn't trying to hare back in case of a break or that they might try and work a goal. It did look like he was struggling with injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 684 ✭✭✭farmerval

The man marking on Sunday was good. When I saw Seamus Kennedy starting I said oh hell, against a really quick team we're swapping one really slow player for another, but it worked out well.
    Halfway through the first half we were being overrun with overlaps and again I thought of s**t, we really need more speed around the middle.
    Ronan seemed to spend lots of time at full back?? Played really really well, maybe long term position for him?
    Last thing, anyone see what happened Cathal Barrett's helmet in the first half?

Agreed. That said though, Wexford were putting some great ball in that corner.
    The best of corner backs would find it hard to deal with it.

Its so strange how we actually looked so solid with 14 men compared to 15 although many would argue that sometimes it harder to play against 14 because the game changes and defensive instincts grow

BOSTIK wrote: »
    Team selection vindication, looks like the 21s will have to serve their time, but they're getting there.

A Kilkenny work colleague was extolling Sunday's game, I'm really looking forward to watching it again.

Absolutely. Sometimes its as simple as a confidence issue. Mark Kehoe for example drove wides earlier in the year. Now he is putting beauts over the bar. Jake is the best example. He looked so sluggish against Limerick but that goal in the u20s last week has lifted him no end.

• Advertisement

Yes he left in 2016 and Gary remained looking after conditioning.

Gary was a sprint coach but there was a coach who looked after the gym programmes too who probably worked in tandem with Gary. I think the Sars S&C coach took Lukasz role.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Donadea Leo

farmerval wrote: »
    Last thing, anyone see what happened Cathal Barrett's helmet in the first half?

Himself and o Connor were having a bit of a wrestle off the ball, nothing major in it, helmet came off during the tussle then the ball arrived over, he didn't have time to put it back on when the ball came over.
    He was definitely not 100% fit, as said he pulled up once or twice after being passed, he didn't look like he could turn too well.
    One thing we can t do against the cats is leave their forwards inside unmarked, luckily wexford looked more surprised than our backs when they found themselves alone in there, they 're not used to scoring too many goals, kilkenny on the other hand...
    Different game though, different tactics, very hard to call.

Himself and o Connor were having a bit of a wrestle off the ball, nothing major in it, helmet came off during the tussle then the ball arrived over, he didn't have time to put it back on when the ball came over.
    He was definitely not 100% fit, as said he pulled up once or twice after being passed, he didn't look like he could turn too well.
    One thing we can t do against the cats is leave their forwards inside unmarked, luckily wexford looked more surprised than our backs when they found themselves alone in there, they 're not used to scoring too many goals, kilkenny on the other hand...
    Different game though, different tactics, very hard to call.

The marking on the forwards was largely ok. It was the lads coming from deep like O'Keefe and Murphy. Bubbles in particular struggled to keep tabs on Murphy who had the goal chance blocked by Ronan Maher and crossed the ball for McDonalds goal. Even the full back got forward for a point. The corner back set up another point in the first half creating an overlap.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭lonestar 74

The way the match worked out was Sheedys' hand forced a bit into using our subs. Cody has seen what he can expect from our bench and can plan accordingly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

The way the match worked out was Sheedys' hand forced a bit into using our subs. Cody has seen what he can expect from our bench and can plan accordingly.

Every game is different, we could colapse like the munster final, play like the semi or play like we did in the cork/clare game won't know till the day, ya can be dam sure Cody knows what's our bench is like,let him worry about it and believe in Sheedy can get us over the line one more time with the 15 plus subs that will be needed on the day, it's gonna be one hell of a battle and at least the Subs bench looks like we have a few lads who can hold their own on the pitch, which I taught we hadn't at the start of the championship. Tipp Abů

Very hard to plan for tired legs against fresh men though. I think Codys best chance of stopping us is to approach it the same way as they did both Limerick and Cork. Actually both games reminded me of the way they approach the finals in 2011, and 2014. It will require savage fitness which to be fair to them they have in abundance. If they give Tipp room as Wexford did, Tipp can get scores and goal chances.

robbiezero wrote: »
    The marking on the forwards was largely ok. It was the lads coming from deep like O'Keefe and Murphy. Bubbles in particular struggled to keep tabs on Murphy who had the goal chance blocked by Ronan Maher and crossed the ball for McDonalds goal. Even the full back got forward for a point. The corner back set up another point in the first half creating an overlap.

You are totally spot on i think. Bubbles failed to keep tabs on murphy when the latter set up mcdonalds goal and, before that, it was Niall not tracking Kehoe back that set McDonald up for another chance that Barry Hogan did brilliant to deflect over the bar. Hard for backs to be covering everything when Wexford suddenly have 3 extra lads forward available for passes. Both Niall and Bubbles had very decent games, but letting their lads run loose contributed to a fair share of our defensive issues. Dont know why exactly they didnt track back, with bubbles its never really been his thing i suppose. Kilkenny half backs probably wont be charging forward so often, but still need to be covered when they do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭Field east

plumber77 wrote: »
    I think anything that breaks the line between above the cross bar and between the 2 posts. Nothing underneath though as the keeper would be constantly breaking it. Could be wrong and probably am. Hopefully we can win the final without any doubt

If the movement of the goalie( ie back behind the goal line) would set off Hawkeye then it stands to reason that the goalies knuckles would do the same thing . It would be of interest to know how much of the ball needs to be over the crossbar for it to be declared a point? Is it that the centre of the ball needs to be past the centre of the bar for it to be declared a point or what

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭nw5iytvs0lf1uz

great turn out tonight. good few thousand there. great to see children taking over the field at the end.
    when the players were heading into the tunnel there was a huge roar and applause, players had smiles going off.
    up tipp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

I was in the Hogan and was more worried about playing wexford in a final. I'm sure Mr Cody spotted it to.

I was in the Hogan and was more worried about playing wexford in a final. I'm sure Mr Cody spotted it to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

We all got what we wanted, most tipp fans were far more worried about playing Limerick.

iebamm2580 wrote: »
    We all got what we wanted, most tipp fans were far more worried about playing Limerick.

Personally, the final is going to be tough no matter if its Kilkenny or Limerick. Its great to be there regardless. I hope we can give it a good rattle but may the best team win anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Personally, the final is going to be tough no matter if its Kilkenny or Limerick. Its great to be there regardless. I hope we can give it a good rattle but may the best team win anyway.

May the best team win? Are ya kidding me ? as long as Tipp win I don’t care wherther we are the better team or not. Last minute flukey goal will do fine.

May the best team win? Are ya kidding me ? as long as Tipp win I don’t care wherther we are the better team or not. Last minute flukey goal will do fine.

Yes, I think though we'll need to be on our very best to win this one and take our chances if they are on offer. To even be in with a chance of winning this late on will require a monumental performance up to that point. Flukey wins against Kilkenny for any team are rare if they even exist

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 684 ✭✭✭farmerval

Seamie coming to centre forward and Bubbles to corner were both serious moves in the second half. Seamie on the half line works really hard and there's going to be less loose backs breaking up the field. Bubbles in the corner with space outside him to run into is his best position.
    When he's in the corner with a half backline sitting deep it's too tight for him. Bubbles in the corner with space opened in front of him will be one of our puckout options in the final. He did really well in 2016 on puckouts, we just need to engineer some space in front of him.
    One note, Joey Holden was really being well beaten by Aaron Gillane in the first half against Limerick, really had no answer to him, Gillane's accuracy left a bit to be desired tho....

farmerval wrote: »
    Seamie coming to centre forward and Bubbles to corner were both serious moves in the second half. Seamie on the half line works really hard and there's going to be less loose backs breaking up the field. Bubbles in the corner with space outside him to run into is his best position.
    When he's in the corner with a half backline sitting deep it's too tight for him. Bubbles in the corner with space opened in front of him will be one of our puckout options in the final. He did really well in 2016 on puckouts, we just need to engineer some space in front of him.
    One note, Joey Holden was really being well beaten by Aaron Gillane in the first half against Limerick, really had no answer to him, Gillane's accuracy left a bit to be desired tho....

At no stage was Joey marking gillane. Lawler picked him up from the throw in

Every game is different, we could colapse like the munster final, play like the semi or play like we did in the cork/clare game won't know till the day, ya can be dam sure Cody knows what's our bench is like,let him worry about it and believe in Sheedy can get us over the line one more time with the 15 plus subs that will be needed on the day, it's gonna be one hell of a battle and at least the Subs bench looks like we have a few lads who can hold their own on the pitch, which I taught we hadn't at the start of the championship. Tipp Abů
    Looking back on the MF against Limerick and the performance against Wexford. Is it a stretch of the imagination to say Tipp didn't try especially when you compare the two games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭Field east

Any boardie out there knowledgeable enough on the following:-
    Some boardies say that Eyehawke ONLY tracks the trajectory of the ball above the crossbar and at a few yards either side of it.
    One newspaper reported that the alledged point - the one caught by Hogan and sent upfield when Tipp got a goal- was spotted by the Hawkeye team up stairs and brought it to the notice of the umpire. If this is the case, then did the Hawkeye team base its decision on directly seeing the ball over the crossbar with ‘ their own two eyes’, saw it happening on the public TV which is available to us all or on Hawkeye. So if on Hawkeye, then why was it not played on TV?
    I still cannot fathom out how the decision was made and on what visual basis?
    Just curious- it’s going to happen again - but not a frequent occurance

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭plumber77

• Advertisement

Hopefully that passion will be carried forward to the date with the cats.

Hopefully that passion will be carried forward to the date with the cats.

There should be a large crowd in Nolans haggard to cheer on the U20s against Wexford on Sunday. They have a great team spirit and a never say die attitude. As stated before there are a number of the team who seem to have the ability to make the step up to senior. The other semi-final on Saturday will make for interesting viewing to see how Cork get on against the cats.

The Tipperary U20 panel to play Wexford in the Bord Gais Energy All-Ireland U20 Hurling Championship Semi-Final on Sunday next, 4 August, has been announced by manager Liam Cahill.

There are no changes to the starting fifteen from that which started the recent Munster Final, as Andrew Ormond holds his place having come in as a late replacement for the injured Seán Hayes.

The team lines out as follows;

1. Aaron Browne – Knockavilla-Donaskeigh Kickhams
    2. Conor McCarthy – Nenagh Éire Óg
    3. Michael Purcell – Thurles Sarsfields
    4. Craig Morgan – Kilruane MacDonaghs (Capt.)
    5. Eoghan Connolly – Cashel King Cormacs
    6. Paddy Cadell – JK Brackens
    7. Bryan O’Mara – Holycross-Ballycahill
    8. Ciarán Connolly – Loughmore-Castleiney
    9. Jerome Cahill – Kilruane MacDonaghs
    10. Gearóid O’Connor – Moyne-Templetuohy
    11. Jake Morris – Nenagh Éire Óg
    12. Joe Fogarty – Moneygall
    13. Andrew Ormond – JK Brackens
    14. Billy Seymour – Kiladanagn
    15. Conor Bowe – Moyne-Templetuohy

16. Eoin Collins – Drom-Inch
    17. Niall Heffernan – Golden-Kilfeacle
    18. Robbie Quirke – Toomevara
    19. Conor Whelan – Carrick Davins
    20. Darragh Woods – Holycross-Ballycahill
    21. Kian O’Kelly – Kilruane MacDonaghs
    22. Johnny Ryan – Arravale Rovers
    23. Seán Hayes – Kiladangan
    24. Cathal Bourke – Clonoulty-Rossmore

Cork are through to the AIH U20 Final. Defeated Kk on a scoreline of 1-16 to 0-13. Hopefully we can join them.

Ompala wrote: »
    The Tipperary U20 panel to play Wexford in the Bord Gais Energy All-Ireland U20 Hurling Championship Semi-Final on Sunday next, 4 August, has been announced by manager Liam Cahill.

There are no changes to the starting fifteen from that which started the recent Munster Final, as Andrew Ormond holds his place having come in as a late replacement for the injured Seán Hayes.

The team lines out as follows;

1. Aaron Browne – Knockavilla-Donaskeigh Kickhams
    2. Conor McCarthy – Nenagh Éire Óg
    3. Michael Purcell – Thurles Sarsfields
    4. Craig Morgan – Kilruane MacDonaghs (Capt.)
    5. Eoghan Connolly – Cashel King Cormacs
    6. Paddy Cadell – JK Brackens
    7. Bryan O’Mara – Holycross-Ballycahill
    8. Ciarán Connolly – Loughmore-Castleiney
    9. Jerome Cahill – Kilruane MacDonaghs
    10. Gearóid O’Connor – Moyne-Templetuohy
    11. Jake Morris – Nenagh Éire Óg
    12. Joe Fogarty – Moneygall
    13. Andrew Ormond – JK Brackens
    14. Billy Seymour – Kiladanagn
    15. Conor Bowe – Moyne-Templetuohy

16. Eoin Collins – Drom-Inch
    17. Niall Heffernan – Golden-Kilfeacle
    18. Robbie Quirke – Toomevara
    19. Conor Whelan – Carrick Davins
    20. Darragh Woods – Holycross-Ballycahill
    21. Kian O’Kelly – Kilruane MacDonaghs
    22. Johnny Ryan – Arravale Rovers
    23. Seán Hayes – Kiladangan
    24. Cathal Bourke – Clonoulty-Rossmore

Was impressed with Ormond the last day, earned his starting place this time. And good to see Conor Whelan on the bench, think we will see another good performance from these lads tomorrow.

Was impressed with Ormond the last day, earned his starting place this time. And good to see Conor Whelan on the bench, think we will see another good performance from these lads tomorrow.
    Did Conor Whelan play full back as a county minor?

Did Conor Whelan play full back as a county minor?

Played full back for the Minors last year. Is he a brother of Michael Whelan? Would have been full back for the under 21s last year but was injured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Seriously impressive from the tipp forwards, ruthless, playing with precision, pace, 20 minutes gone and 4 goals scored.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Seriously impressive from the tipp forwards, ruthless, playing with precision, pace, 20 minutes gone and 4 goals scored.
    And gone asleep since the 4th goal went in. Cahill won't be happy, but well on top.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement