Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Tipperary GAA (Club and Intercounty) Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 shaneoc88

That was an absolutely ruthless performance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

That wexford goal? Am not exactly fuming about it or anything, but ref blows whistle before ball is in net and allows goal anyway? When you take what happened to Jake Morris two weeks ago, you wonder if its not time they get to grips with this advantage rule for once and for all.

Overall you'd have to say very enjoyable to watch, but bloodless hardly begins to describe it. A ball went into Tipp defence in first half, and there were two Tipp defenders marking each other! It was that bad from Wexford POV.

Skill level is just off the charts, though. That last score by Bowe, just wow! Loved the way they just went for goals from the off, saw they were on and went for them. Bryan O'Mara is just a fantastic hurler. Final is a mouth watering prospect, have to play even better again to win it i think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Yeah I get the advantage rule should have been used but you cannot blow the whistle and play advantage at the same time!

Brian O'Mara is a serious operator and needs to be looked at in senior next year. Likewise with Seymour and Bowe maybe one or two more. Liked Woods when he came on, looks to have huge ability.

Wexford were brutal though, especially that full back line, couldn't cope with the power and pace of our forwards.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Yeah I get the advantage rule should have been used but you cannot blow the whistle and play advantage at the same time!

Brian O'Mara is a serious operator and needs to be looked at in senior next year. Likewise with Seymour and Bowe maybe one or two more. Liked Woods when he came on, looks to have huge ability.

Wexford were brutal though, especially that full back line, couldn't cope with the power and pace of our forwards.

O'Mara and Bowe look two of the obvious ones for sure, good hurlers and strong too, could easily be part of the senior set-up as it is. Wasnt it Woods who put 1-3 or 1-4 against the Cork minors in extra time in the munster final a couple of years ago? The talent among this group runs seriously deep for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭lonestar 74

That was 1 way traffic. Some great performances. Bill Seymore pushed Cahill hard for MOTM. Conor Bowe took the honors in previous games. It shows we have match winners all over the field. O'Mara, Cadell, Morris and Ormond also caught the eye. Sean Hayes (minor last year) looks a good prospect. Hopefully they can get the job done against Cork. In the MF had they taken their goal chances Cork might not have been in a position to win the game. So with a little luck we should have a bit to much for them. A word of warning though in how we turned the MF result around and stunned Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Fantastic display yesterday by Tipps U 20's. A joy to watch in full flow. Wexford were a sorry sight by the end, a beating that will live long in the memory for their hapless players. A fascinating final in store.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭lonestar 74

What's the view on James Owens taking charge of the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭plumber77

Non issue for me pre game and hopefully non issue post game

The ref pool for the championship must be pretty thin at this stage. Not sure how many were in the mix for the final, but doubt Owens had a huge amount of competition. GAA needs to do something about it fairly quick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

Anyone following the North U16 A this summer? 6 teams in a group, all 6 come out of the group, sounds a bit daft in itself, but now the fun starts. They had an open draw to decide which 2 clubs get a bye into the semi finals.The fifth and sixth placed clubs, Kiladangan and Nenagh came out in the draw and are now semi finalists. Nenagh lost 4 games and gave a walkover in their last game and have been rewarded with a semi final birth. A bizarre state of affairs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Paul Kelly

What happened this lad. Reminder he was great then injuries and gradually faded out.

Was there another issue?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Rasputin11 wrote: »
    Anyone following the North U16 A this summer? 6 teams in a group, all 6 come out of the group, sounds a bit daft in itself, but now the fun starts. They had an open draw to decide which 2 clubs get a bye into the semi finals.The fifth and sixth placed clubs, Kiladangan and Nenagh came out in the draw and are now semi finalists. Nenagh lost 4 games and gave a walkover in their last game and have been rewarded with a semi final birth. A bizarre state of affairs.
    All 6 coming out of group is not at all daft but open draw to decide which 2 teams went straight to semi is very poor decision.
    Guaranteeing every side 6 games is a great thing but 1st and 2nd should be in semis with 3 v 6 and 4 v 5 in quarters.

All 6 coming out of group is not at all daft but open draw to decide which 2 teams went straight to semi is very poor decision.
    Guaranteeing every side 6 games is a great thing but 1st and 2nd should be in semis with 3 v 6 and 4 v 5 in quarters.

All 6 coming out of a group of 6 is not daft? Never heard the likes of it. It does sound a bit silly.

Quiet build up to the final on here lads. Probably ramp up next week. What do ye think of Buggy O Meara? I've rarely seen a player that falls so much when in possession. He's on the ground half the time slipping and sliding. Very light footed. To be honest he's never impressed me and i'm a bit worried that Tipp's half forward line is not great at winning primary possession. If it's Forde, O Meara and McCormack i would see that as a not very powerful half forward line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

All 6 coming out of a gr roup of 6 is not daft? Never heard the likes of it. It does sound a bit silly.
    it doesn't when you look beyond the beginning of the competition into the long term. These kids are under 16s. Kids cant play adult. Some may play minor but otherwise it's their only competitive club hurling of the year so surely they should be getting as much competitive hurling as possible and this format does it in spades
    Quiet build up to the final on here lads. Probably ramp up next week. What do ye think of Buggy O Meara? I've rarely seen a player that falls so much when in possession. He's on the ground half the time slipping and sliding. Very light footed. To be honest he's never impressed me and i'm a bit worried that Tipp's half forward line is not great at winning primary possession. If it's Forde, O Meara and McCormack i would see that as a not very powerful half forward line.
    buggys a better footballer and should have stuck to rugby as just isnt a top class hurler... wouldnt call him light footed all

• Advertisement

it doesn't when you look beyond the beginning of the competition into the long term. These kids are under 16s. Kids cant play adult. Some may play minor but otherwise it's their only competitive club hurling of the year so surely they should be getting as much competitive hurling as possible and this format does it in spades

buggys a better footballer and should have stuck to rugby as just isnt a top class hurler... wouldnt call him light footed all

Interesting. So you agree with me on Buggy. Isn't that a weakness heading into a final v Kilkenny though? Kilkenny wont be carrying any passengers and you can be sure Cody will seeking out any Tipp weakness and for me Buggy O Meara is a big weakness. Not sure iever saw him hurl well for a full match. Or half a match even. Usually one or two plays and not much else before being substituted. One thing he seems to have is pace though but hard to see him getting much freedom to utilise that pace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Interesting. So you agree with me on Buggy. Isn't that a weakness heading into a final v Kilkenny though? Kilkenny wont be carrying any passengers and you can be sure Cody will seeking out any Tipp weakness and for me Buggy O Meara is a big weakness. Not sure iever saw him hurl well for a full match. Or half a match even. Usually one or two plays and not much else before being substituted. One thing he seems to have is pace though but hard to see him getting much freedom to utilise that pace.

Going to assume you are talking about Bill and not Buggy.
    Hurled very well in first half v Wexford forcing them to switch markers and had a great game v Cork in first game.
    Got injured after that and is probably making his way back to full match fitness.
    Has had a lot of injuries, but I think he will do fine v KK.

Niall you mean??? the man has had his problems with injuries but he ran himself into the ground against Wexford

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Niall was brilliant in the first half against wexford, really took the game to them

Think you're right though on buggy, good player but maybe didn't fully realise his potential with tipp. For me Niall is a better player.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

Niall you mean??? the man has had his problems with injuries but he ran himself into the ground against Wexford

Ofcourse i mean Niall. Who else would i mean? Isnt he called Buggy?

Think you're right though on buggy, good player but maybe didn't fully realise his potential with tipp. For me Niall is a better player.

Isnt Niall called Buggy also? Anyway its Niall im talking about.

Isnt Niall called Buggy also? Anyway its Niall im talking about.

Buggy Brian is his brother.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Niall was brilliant in the first half against wexford, really took the game to them

You serious? Niall was nowhere near brilliant v Wexford in first half. You must have been watching a different game. He gave Callinan a poor enough hand pass for his goal but bar a couple of other touches he did little else. Brilliant is not a word i would use. Average performance for me but i suppose we all have different standards.

Buggy Brian is his brother.

I have 100% heard Niall called Buggy on tv or radio.

robbiezero wrote: »
    Going to assume you are talking about Bill and not Buggy.
    Hurled very well in first half v Wexford forcing them to switch markers and had a great game v Cork in first game.
    Got injured after that and is probably making his way back to full match fitness.
    Has had a lot of injuries, but I think he will do fine v KK.

Id love to see him have a great game v Kilkenny but as i said i've never really seen him play well or have any consistency.

Id love to see him have a great game v Kilkenny but as i said i've never really seen him play well or have any consistency.

Well he had a good league and was really good against cork first day out but picked up a bad injury. Didn't play again until Laois but looked rusty enough. Played well against wexford especially in the first half, won a few frees and setup the goal. Seemed to run out of stream in the second half. I'd imagine he should be fully right for the final if he's picked.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Well he had a good league and was really good against cork first day out but picked up a bad injury. Didn't play again until Laois but looked rusty enough. Played well against wexford especially in the first half, won a few frees and setup the goal. Seemed to run out of stream in the second half. I'd imagine he should be fully right for the final if he's picked.

Have a decent bench now with J Cahill and Browne two high octane lads around the middle. If needs be and forwards struggling could push N McGrath into half forward line or even Breen who i remember scored 6 from play at centre forward v Cork few years back. J Morris a threat too. Good to have options. Gonna be a 20 man effort to get over the line

I've been a fan of Niall's for several years now, just never got the run he needed due to injuries and other factors, but hopefully thats behind him and we start to see the best of him over a sustained period. I wouldnt describe him as especially strong or physical, but he still has the ability to win ball in the half-forwards which is crucial for us as a team, comes down to timing i think or just instinct to be in the right place. Has created two goals for Callanan that i can remember and also got the penalty that Forde scored so his value to us has been clear. The criticism of him i just dont understand.

On the wexford game, he was particularly good first half, but the problem was he didn't track his man - Kehoe - when the latter broke up the field. Only for Brian Hogan, that would have led directly to one goal and more damage could have been done too. It was the same on the other side with Bubbles, so maybe it was tactical not to drop deep, i dont know really, but it was an issue. Thing is, for the final, you wouldnt expect the Kilkenny backs to be so attack minded so that might not come into play. Either way, Niall can be a handful for any wing back and i see him as being vital for us in that crucial sector.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Ompala

Thoughts on the team for the Final lads?
    James Barry to come back in?
    Heffernan and Kennedy to start again?
    John McGrath to start after the red card or will Jake Morris get the nod to start? Callanan at centre forward with Bubbles in the corner?
    1 week to go, lots to ponder. Can't fecking wait!

• Advertisement

Fair to say, i think, that both Heffernan and Kennedy have given management a conundrum when it comes to the first 15 selection. Barry was immense in the sf and Seamus has been effective anytime he's been on the pitch this summer. My feeling is he'll give James Barry the nod on the basis that marking Fennelly might suit him a bit better than the constant rotation of the Wexford strategy. Tight one, though. Would be astonished if John Mac didnt start, dont think red card has any bearing on that situation. Hasnt totally gone for him this summer, but he's a guy who will make things happen, potentially put 1-2 together off 4 possessions. Just get him the ball somehow!

My team for final
    1 Hogan
    2 Barrett
    3 Barry
    4 Kennedy
    5 B Maher
    6 R Maher
    7 P Maher
    8 Breen
    9 N McGrath
    10 McCormack
    11 Forde
    12 O Meara
    13 J O Dwyer
    14 Callinan
    15 J McGrath

Some good cover in backs in Flynn, Byrne and Heffernan. Cover in midfield in Browne and Cahill. Bit light with cover up front in J Morris with possibility of moving N McGrath up front also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭kala85

Will there be much demand for tickets.

In 2016 they went on sale on ticket master

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Donadea Leo

I've been a fan of Niall's for several years now, just never got the run he needed due to injuries and other factors, but hopefully thats behind him and we start to see the best of him over a sustained period. I wouldnt describe him as especially strong or physical, but he still has the ability to win ball in the half-forwards which is crucial for us as a team, comes down to timing i think or just instinct to be in the right place. Has created two goals for Callanan that i can remember and also got the penalty that Forde scored so his value to us has been clear. The criticism of him i just dont understand.

On the wexford game, he was particularly good first half, but the problem was he didn't track his man - Kehoe - when the latter broke up the field. Only for Brian Hogan, that would have led directly to one goal and more damage could have been done too. It was the same on the other side with Bubbles, so maybe it was tactical not to drop deep, i dont know really, but it was an issue. Thing is, for the final, you wouldnt expect the Kilkenny backs to be so attack minded so that might not come into play. Either way, Niall can be a handful for any wing back and i see him as being vital for us in that crucial sector.

Have to agree, niall o meara was brilliant against cork, i kept shouting good man Bonner until i realised it was niall o meara. He reminds me of gearoid Ryan good honest hurler, able to get stuck in and win hard ball, he mightn t have the hands or stick work of the McGrath s or bubbles but we Don t need him to have, we need him to win ball, and stop half backs from lording it back there and dictating the game. I think he fulfils this really well and think he fits nicely into the forward unit.
    Be interesting to see if kilkenny do try to replicate some of wexford s tactics, it's not their traditional game but if they recreated some of the goal chances wexford had, they won't miss. We are susceptible to being run at, for that reason, I think I d be leaving Barry Heffernan in, he s a bit more mobile than Barry and should be able to match fennelly on strength, though strength is probably Barry s strength also. Depends what way sheedy wants to prioritise.
    For all our meetings in the decade, it feels like playing someone new again. I think that's in their favour, our players have had a lot more exposure. Hopefully it 'll be experience that wins the day.

kala85 wrote: »
    Will there be much demand for tickets.

In 2016 they went on sale on ticket master

Big ish demand I'd imagine but anyone looking for a ticket should be able to get one. I'm not a member of a tipperary club so fingers crossed I grab one later in the week.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Tipp 77

My season ticket arrived today.
    It was posted the 9th of August.

Have to agree, niall o meara was brilliant against cork, i kept shouting good man Bonner until i realised it was niall o meara. He reminds me of gearoid Ryan good honest hurler, able to get stuck in and win hard ball, he mightn t have the hands or stick work of the McGrath s or bubbles but we Don t need him to have, we need him to win ball, and stop half backs from lording it back there and dictating the game. I think he fulfils this really well and think he fits nicely into the forward unit.
    Be interesting to see if kilkenny do try to replicate some of wexford s tactics, it's not their traditional game but if they recreated some of the goal chances wexford had, they won't miss. We are susceptible to being run at, for that reason, I think I d be leaving Barry Heffernan in, he s a bit more mobile than Barry and should be able to match fennelly on strength, though strength is probably Barry s strength also. Depends what way sheedy wants to prioritise.
    For all our meetings in the decade, it feels like playing someone new again. I think that's in their favour, our players have had a lot more exposure. Hopefully it 'll be experience that wins the day.

I'm not sure O Meara was brilliant against Cork. Or against anybody else. He was good that day as Tipp were on top form. Easily the best i saw him play but brilliant isn't the word i'd use anyway. Nothing personal lads, i'm a Dub with Tipp roots, brought to first Munster final in 1984 aged seven so have always been a big Tipp hurling supporter. I just dont rate O Meara. Far too inconsistent and pretty wasteful also. Please god he turns up and gets man of the match on Sunday!

You don't rate O'Meara but you'd still pick him for the final?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

You don't rate O'Meara but you'd still pick him for the final?

I would yes because i wouldn't like him coming in as a sub and relying on him to make a difference. As i said already the options on the bench in the forwards is not great. Only J Morris really to come in but Morris made a difference v Wexford in his short cameo so id rather hold him in reserve. The main reason id start O Meara is lack of forward options.He might play well on Sunday who knows. I dont rate him but there are those like few on here who do so lets see how it goes.

• Advertisement

Gearoid Ryan is a good comparison, lot of similarities there alright. Personally i think Niall is the better hurler, has to prove it in fairness but he has time.

The more i think about it the more certain i am that James will be back on edge of the square, as impressed as i was with Barry Heff in sf, dont think an AIF against an experienced and canny operator such as Fennelly is the right situation for him. He's versatile out the field, so will be a good man to bring in later on. Left-back is hard to guess too, might see O'Brien back i suspect.

Weather forecast not looking good atm.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 684 ✭✭✭farmerval

Gearoid Ryan is a good comparison, lot of similarities there alright. Personally i think Niall is the better hurler, has to prove it in fairness but he has time.

The more i think about it the more certain i am that James will be back on edge of the square, as impressed as i was with Barry Heff in sf, dont think an AIF against an experienced and canny operator such as Fennelly is the right situation for him. He's versatile out the field, so will be a good man to bring in later on. Left-back is hard to guess too, might see O'Brien back i suspect.

Very hard to know about Barry, with man marking roles against Wexford Ronan spent plenty of time at full back. Barry Heff actually attacked really well from man marking Lee Chin.
    I always think Niall O Meara brings a little bit different to the middle third for us, he's very energetic and gets on a lot of ball. definitely Wexford had to reshuffle to quieten him after 20 mins in the semi final.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Allstars2018

As far as I'm aware,niall is going travelling next year

Terrace tickets available on tickets.ie

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

Terrace tickets available on tickets.ie

Huge queue and less than 500 tickets, I am well back in the queue 😟

• Advertisement

solerina wrote: »

Might be better off, I'd imagine more tickets will become available later in the week. Weather looks awful for Sunday so you'd need the wet gear!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Might be better off, I'd imagine more tickets will become available later in the week. Weather looks awful for Sunday so you'd need the wet gear!

Nothing new there....I have been to thousands of games where I got very wet !!! Won’t stop me going, only failure to get a ticket would !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

How did so many people queue so quick? Did the GAA make it public that tickets would go on sale at that time or was it just random? €45 for the final is great value, don't mind standing and would happily go.

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    How did so many people queue so quick? Did the GAA make it public that tickets would go on sale at that time or was it just random? €45 for the final is great value, don't mind standing and would happily go.

Supporters club notified people, I also saw the Sunday game has it up on Facebook

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Supporters club notified people, I also saw the Sunday game has it up on Facebook
    I seen it via RTE. Over an hour after they went up. I wasn't expecting any to go on sale but I'll be checking regularly now. It's a pity Croker doesn't hold 90k. Those extra 8k would go on general sale and make it easier for us neutrals to go. Obviously wouldn't go on general for the finals such as the last 2 years but the lesser demand ones for sure.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement