Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Tipperary GAA (Club and Intercounty) Thread

Comments

So the Perms and Combs for Semis
    Correct me if i am wrong but if....

Clare and Wexford win....open draw
    Galway and Wexford win... Tipp v Galway, Kilkenny v Wexford
    Clare and Waterford win... Tipp v Clare, Kilkenny v Waterford
    Galway and Waterford win.... Tipp v Galway, Kilkenny v Waterford (same as last year)

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭buggy beag

How do you see the quarter finals going?

Hard to see past waterford beating wexford.id imagine other game will be closer but nearly fancy galway.what you tink et?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Waterford should beat Wexford if they have recovered mentally in time for the time which will be very hard for them. The system they believed so much in and worked so hard for has been shredded and in the back of their minds must be Kilkenny coming down the tracks at them too.
    Galway are in a similar boat. They have shipped two hidings off Kilkenny now in their last two championship games and must really be wondering what can they do if anything to either reverse or get any closer to KK.
    For both these teams, the management have a big task to restore the belief after their All-Ireland winning dreams for this year have effectively gone up in smoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭buggy beag

robbiezero wrote:
    Waterford should beat Wexford if they have recovered mentally in time for the time which will be very hard for them. The system they believed so much in and worked so hard for has been shredded and in the back of their minds must be Kilkenny coming down the tracks at them too. Galway are in a similar boat. They have shipped two hidings off Kilkenny now in their last two championship games and must really be wondering what can they do if anything to either reverse or get any closer to KK. For both these teams, the management have a big task to restore the belief after their All-Ireland winning dreams for this year have effectively gone up in smoke.

Ah waterford should beat wexford and handy enough to imo.fair play to wexford but by god that was one poor cork team with a shedload of wides as well.be very surprised if they beat them.should be a fairly boring game to id imagine with wexford only having one forward in their half of the pitch at times an waterford with their"system".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

1. Brian Hogan – Lorrha-Dorrha
    2. Paul Maher – Kilsheelan-Kilcash
    3. Tom Fox – Éire Óg Annacarty
    4. David Sweeney – Kiladangan
    5. Barry Heffernan – Nenagh Éire Óg
    6. Ronan Maher (Capt.) – Thurles Sarsfields
    7. Sean Ryan – Sean Treacys
    8. Billy McCarthy – Thurles Sarsfields
    9. Andrew Coffey – Nenagh Éire Óg
    10. Jack Shelly – Mullinahone
    11. Stephen Quirke – Moyle Rovers
    12. Josh Keane – Golden-Kilfeacle
    13. Conor Lanigan – Thurles Sarsfields
    14. Mark Russell – Lattin Cullen
    15. Willie Connors – Kiladangan

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

Can't believe those two subs by Maher - and Jack Shelley left on the field...

Shelley coughs up another gift - Limrick haven't got the heads to take it though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Huge win for Tipperary. Very good performance but poor from Limerick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Good win, should've done that last year left an Ireland behind gonna be very tough against Waterford in Walsh park

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Can't believe those two subs by Maher - and Jack Shelley left on the field...

They were strange alright and he seemed to switch Ronan Maher back to full back too which I thought odd although Tom Fox did a lot of good things at centre-back. Switching Heffernan to midfield second-half and pushing Quirke into the edge of the square were great moves and his subs all worked out, so overall Maher deserves a lot of credit in my book.

• Advertisement

Workman-like performance - didn't look like a gelled team at this stage. It wasn't the greatest of conditions - some poor decision-making by players at times. I think some of the poor form displayed by players in the intermediates this year carried forward into the under 21s.

Limerick had some atrocious wides...

Coffey was very good

They won't win in Walsh Park if they perform like that - no chance.

I'd expect changes to the starting line up for the next day...

Quirke did cause problems...

Teehan was the decisive scorer after coming on - 1-1 I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Ompala

Great win for the under 21s, don't strike me as the most skillful group of hurlers but by god they must surely be one of the toughest
    Hit Limerick hard from the start and never let up. Backs were very solid.
    Thought the subs were a strange call at the time, could understand Connors being taken off after all the ground he covered, Lanigan was doing well when he had the ball I thought.
    Anyone else screaming at the tv to stop trying the high ball in every time? Thought for the most part, especially 1st half, that Limerick backs dealt quite well with it.

Ompala wrote: »
    Great win for the under 21s, don't strike me as the most skillful group of hurlers but by god they must surely be one of the toughest
    Hit Limerick hard from the start and never let up. Backs were very solid.
    Thought the subs were a strange call at the time, could understand Connors being taken off after all the ground he covered, Lanigan was doing well when he had the ball I thought.
    Anyone else screaming at the tv to stop trying the high ball in every time? Thought for the most part, especially 1st half, that Limerick backs dealt quite well with it.

Conditions werent really there for the short game either. Ball would be greasy after the rain. We lost alot of ball with short passing. Russell didnt win much of English though in the first half and they had a sweeper in place. Bizarre that Ronan Maher was left as our spare man. His distribution is second to none.

Quirke switching with Russell was a good move as it helped the two players. Russell definately done better out on the forty.

Billy McCarthy for me was outstanding for Tipp. He put in some shift. Barry Heffernan broke down alot of ball too considering he is just back from injury and im not sure i've ever seen him play in the forwards either.

Conditions werent really there for the short game either. Ball would be greasy after the rain. We lost alot of ball with short passing. Russell didnt win much of English though in the first half and they had a sweeper in place. Bizarre that Ronan Maher was left as our spare man. His distribution is second to none.

Quirke switching with Russell was a good move as it helped the two players. Russell definately done better out on the forty.

Billy McCarthy for me was outstanding for Tipp. He put in some shift. Barry Heffernan broke down alot of ball too considering he is just back from injury and im not sure i've ever seen him play in the forwards either.

Did Heffernan have a spell in the forwards in the first half? Seemed to be taking up some advanced positions along the wing anyway. Thought he was mostly midfield in the second and did very well if one or two of his deliveries lacked a bit of accuracy.

Did Heffernan have a spell in the forwards in the first half? Seemed to be taking up some advanced positions along the wing anyway. Thought he was mostly midfield in the second and did very well if one or two of his deliveries lacked a bit of accuracy.

He was roaming around the 40 quite a bit and was under the poc out there too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Barry Heffernan broke down alot of ball too considering he is just back from injury and im not sure i've ever seen him play in the forwards either.

Heffernan looked a bit lost to me in the forwards, was winning good primary possession but his natural instincts as a back his delivery and shooting was wayward, when he dropped a little deeper for the last 20 mins he was very very good. Tom Fox MOTM for me and a definite Senior for the future.

I know that it's a very small sample size but the last week has been extremely encouraging from a Tipp perspective, not the wins themselves, but the manner of the performances, the work rate, the physicality and the desire to win has been immense. For far too long Tipp hurling has drifted away from what made it an immovable force in the 40's, 50's and 60's. Over time we changed from that physical force to what some describe as tippy tappy hurling, and the record books don't lie as to which is the more rewarding.

Mick Ryan, Willie Maher and Liam Cahill deserve a huge amount of credit and it would seem that Tipp hurling is in good hands for the forseeable future.

danganabu wrote: »
    Heffernan looked a bit lost to me in the forwards, was winning good primary possession but his natural instincts as a back his delivery and shooting was wayward, when he dropped a little deeper for the last 20 mins he was very very good. Tom Fox MOTM for me and a definite Senior for the future.

I know that it's a very small sample size but the last week has been extremely encouraging from a Tipp perspective, not the wins themselves, but the manner of the performances, the work rate, the physicality and the desire to win has been immense. For far too long Tipp hurling has drifted away from what made it an immovable force in the 40's, 50's and 60's. Over time we changed from that physical force to what some describe as tippy tappy hurling, and the record books don't lie as to which is the more rewarding.

Mick Ryan, Willie Maher and Liam Cahill deserve a huge amount of credit and it would seem that Tipp hurling is in good hands for the forseeable future.

For a fella who hadn't done a lot of hurling recently, I wouldn't have a bad word to say about Heffernan last night, with his experience he's a key member of that side going forward this summer.

Agree heartily with all you said, though. Frankly, I'm terrified of optimism when it comes to Tipp hurling but a little more of this and I'll willingly succumb. Like the cut of Maher's jib for sure.

For a fella who hadn't done a lot of hurling recently, I wouldn't have a bad word to say about Heffernan last night, with his experience he's a key member of that side going forward this summer.

Agree heartily with all you said, though. Frankly, I'm terrified of optimism when it comes to Tipp hurling but a little more of this and I'll willingly succumb. Like the cut of Maher's jib for sure.

To quote Morgan Freeman in the Shawshank Redemption, "Hope is a dangerous thing"

To quote Morgan Freeman in the Shawshank Redemption, "Hope is a dangerous thing"

A very pertinent quote indeed. Sometimes I wonder if it's the hope that really gets you or the expectation. Although I'm not sure there's all that much of the latter around Tipp these days!

A very pertinent quote indeed. Sometimes I wonder if it's the hope that really gets you or the expectation. Although I'm not sure there's all that much of the latter around Tipp these days!

Whats encouraging is our workrate. We previously had 5 classy forwards and one man in the coalface but now we have guys who can mix work with hurling. The cornerstones for Kilkenny's success has been the whole philosophy of 'winning your own ball'. You look at Eoin Larkin, Richie Power, Richie Hogan, Colin Fennelly as four forwards who can turnover possession and take a score in the same attack. We've been crying out for this for years and looking easterly with envy. At least we are trying to match them in this regard. The rest is up to other factors.

• Advertisement

Whats encouraging is our workrate. We previously had 5 classy forwards and one man in the coalface but now we have guys who can mix work with hurling. The cornerstones for Kilkenny's success has been the whole philosophy of 'winning your own ball'. You look at Eoin Larkin, Richie Power, Richie Hogan, Colin Fennelly as four forwards who can turnover possession and take a score in the same attack. We've been crying out for this for years and looking easterly with envy. At least we are trying to match them in this regard. The rest is up to other factors.

If I was asked to sum up the difference in attitude this year in two words I'd say: John McGrath. It's not just his scoring firepower, but his phenomenal workrate. That clip where he chased back 50 yards to dispossess a Waterford player last week should be emailed to every club and school in the county, that is how matches, close or otherwise, are won. There's an incredible sense of maturity about him too, can't see him having a brilliant couple of seasons and letting it get to his head, like others I could care to mention!

What's really encouraging so far is Callanan hasn't really fired yet, by his exalted standards, and Bubbles has hardly even featured: if you knew that much at the outset could you have predicted we'd stroll to a Munster title? I don't think so. The thing is Kilkenny will still be the benchmark for us if and when we get to face them, but I do think we are going the right way alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

I think I should have also added in the post above that the County Board deserve a lot of credit here as well, they are the ones who appointed the 3 boys and when things go wrong or the results aren't up to scratch they are the first to be blamed, so fair is fair and credit where it is due.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,073 ✭✭✭Xenophile

No surprise that the football qualifier against Derry is being played in Cavan. The GAA are more pragmatic than many think. Derry were there last weekend and there is a fair chance they will travel again in good numbers.

Tipperary fans, except hurling fans, don't seem to know the road to Thurles !

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

The Derry V Tipperary game is being televised by Sky Sports.

Throw-in on Saturday is at 17:00 (Irish time) with coverage from Sky Sports (coverage not available in Great Britain).

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

Xenophile wrote: »
    The Derry V Tipperary game is being televised by Sky Sports.

Throw-in on Saturday is at 17:00 (Irish time) with coverage from Sky Sports (coverage not available in Great Britain).

Sky Sports 5

The Tipperary team to play Derry in tomorrow’s All-Ireland Football Championship round 4A qualifier in Kingspan Breffni Park, Cavan has been announced by manager Liam Kearns. Liam keeps faith with the starting 15 that lined out against Kerry in their recent Munster Final.

The Tipperary team lines out as follows –

1. Evan Comerford – Kilsheelan-Kilcash
    2. Colm O’Shaughnessy – Ardfinnan
    3. Alan Campbell – Moyle Rovers
    4. Ciarán Mc Donald – Aherlow
    5. Bill Maher – Kilsheelan-Kilcash
    6. Robbie Kiely – Carbery Rangers
    7. Jimmy Feehan – Killenaule
    8. Peter Acheson (Capt.) – Moyle Rovers
    9. George Hannigan – Shannon Rovers
    10. Josh Keane – Golden-Kilfeacle
    11. Kevin O’Halloran – Portroe
    12. Brian Fox – Éire Óg Annacarty
    13. Philip Austin – Borrisokane
    14. Michael Quinlivan – Clonmel Commercials
    15. Conor Sweeney – Ballyporeen

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

looking forward to heading up to the game tomorrow in Cavan. Hopefully we get some good support there for the lads regardless of the journey.

looking forward to heading up to the game tomorrow in Cavan. Hopefully we get some good support there for the lads regardless of the journey.

Journey not too bad good roads most of the way. Head for M50 Northbound, take exit 6 for N3 / M3 direction Navan.

Do we ever mark up? :mad: That number 10 has had several runs at us in that first half and management or the team havent reacted. Our wides have been criminal too. Bill Mahers especially. Their number 9 is tracking Austin everywhere.

• Advertisement

Some great men on that football team - serious win and effort. So happy for them - given all the departures, didn't see it coming! Congratulations - nothing but admiration for them. They're capable of toppling Galway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,973 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Today was the most entertaining day of GAA all summer. Hurling or football.
    Some cahonas on those Tipp boys after going behind so late. Fancy their chances more than Clares for semi spot

Still, Clare were the best team on display today. :):)

Dana, Martin McGuinness, and Joe Brolly, your boys took one hell of a beating!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Really enjoyed that. Thoroughly deserved. Well done to everyone involved in Tipp football, hope they get the plaudits they deserve in the county.

Delighted for the team and for those who have followed them up every hard road for the past few years. Feared they'd let it slip first half but those couple of points tacked on at the end and the changes made at half-time proved decisive. Fitness got them over the line in the end. Galway again is winnable but it's all bonus territory now. All the pressure will be on the western men anyhow!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

I'm not the biggest fan of football but I'm really beginning to enjoy watching the team playing their hearts out lately. I wonder how long I'll have to watch it to not be a bandwagoner anymore??

Tipp GAA is in a great place at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

GerB40 wrote: »
    g I'll have to watch it to not be a bandwagoner anymore??

Fcuk that! You can watch a team as often or as little as you like! At least you're from the place and identify with our players, unlike clowns 'following' English soccer teams without ever seeing a live game at any level.
    Enjoy the win its not often we beat the nordys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Imagine if Colin O'Riordan was still on theTipp team.

I love Peter Acheson as a player 100% effort and heart every time I've ever seen him play delighted for fellas like him who've slogged away for years with little reward finally getting to play in an all Iireland quarter final.He won a couple of key balls right at the end when Tipp needed it.

The great thing about Tipps win today is that it was class from their forward line that got them over the line and they played with such positivity. Maybe that's a lesson to a lot of teams around the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Imagine if Colin O'Riordan was still on the Tipp team.

I love Peter Acheson as a player 100% effort and heart every time I've ever seen him play delighted for fellas like him who've slogged away for years with little reward finally getting to play in an all Iireland quarter final.He won a couple of key balls right at the end when Tipp needed it.

The great thing about Tipps win today is that it was class from their forward line that got them over the line and they played with such positivity. Maybe that's a lesson to a lot of teams around the country.
    And Stephen O Brien who picked hurling over the football.
    Fantastic win!

GerB40 wrote: »
    I'm not the biggest fan of football but I'm really beginning to enjoy watching the team playing their hearts out lately. I wonder how long I'll have to watch it to not be a bandwagoner anymore??

Bandwagoners are a badge of success, the clearest sign that this team is arriving. The more in Croker next week the merrier!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 334 ✭✭skywanderer

Delighted for Tipp football and as a Kerryman I wish ye well, today must be up there alongside that great late goal in the 2011 Minor All-Ireland to pip Dublin to the title.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,119 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

well done today , ye did us no favors by sending us up against the kingdom , i would give ye a great chance in overturning galway next week , an impressive second half against a strong wind and a bad referee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

Colin 0 Riordan, Stephen O Brien, Seamus Kennedy, John McGrath, KEvin Fahey, Jason LOnergan, Liam Casey etc etc etc.....but we won with who wanted to play and that's what matters. Although I am still bitter about O Brien not playing anything this year...it's a joke him staying on the hurling panelfor nothing - or so it appears

solerina wrote: »
    Colin 0 Riordan, Stephen O Brien, Seamus Kennedy, John McGrath, KEvin Fahey, Jason LOnergan, Liam Casey etc etc etc.....but we won with who wanted to play and that's what matters. Although I am still bitter about O Brien not playing anything this year...it's a joke him staying on the hurling panelfor nothing - or so it appears

To be fair to Mick ryan he said he picked O'Brien on merit but it might be long term development. Meant to be going very well in training.

Full credit to the team yesterday. Superb mental fortitude, courage, and heart shown. I thought we had blown it and we were very loose defensively but it would appear that the long term goal is to develop a style of attacking football where the team is happy to engage in a shootout. They never panicked when that Derry goal came at such a crucial stage. The fans who made the long journey sure got their moneys worth. Special mention and commiserations to Derry who contributed to a wonderful game.

Croker we go. H'on Tipp!

Galway v Tipp in both codes... bring it on!

Galway v Tipp in both codes... bring it on!

Please god they'll be sick of the sight of us by the end of the day on the 14th of August :)

I give the footballers a better chance of beating Galway than the hurlers !

Xenophile wrote: »
    I give the footballers a better chance of beating Galway than the hurlers !

Based on what exactly? Galway are the Connacht champions and they dethroned an excellent Mayo side who had a vice like grip on Connacht for 5 years in spectacular fashion and Mayo arguably could have won an all ireland or two in that time. Our footballers have been excellent but lets not go too mad here, the last match against Galway didnt end too well for us in 2014. At best its a 50/50 game but Galway would be my favourites if im being honest.

Our hurlers have been outstanding this year but they face a tough battle for the second year running. I think the experience of last year will drive us on. We are a better defensive unit and our forwards are putting more pressure on opposition backs. The hunters of last year will become the hunted.

My heart says Tipp for both but my head reckons Galway for the football and Tipp for hurling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,119 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Based on what exactly? Galway are the Connacht champions and they dethroned an excellent Mayo side who had a vice like grip on Connacht for 5 years in spectacular fashion and Mayo arguably could have won an all ireland or two in that time. Our footballers have been excellent but lets not go too mad here, the last match against Galway didnt end too well for us in 2014. At best its a 50/50 game but Galway would be my favourites if im being honest.

Our hurlers have been outstanding this year but they face a tough battle for the second year running. I think the experience of last year will drive us on. We are a better defensive unit and our forwards are putting more pressure on opposition backs. The hunters of last year will become the hunted.

My heart says Tipp for both but my head reckons Galway for the football and Tipp for hurling

i would give tipp a great chance in the football next week but as you said the galway footballers have ticked all the boxes so far this season,

galway have to sort out the second half game management against a better inside forward line in the hurling ,

was sitting a few seats away from declan fanning , eamon o sea and micheal ryan today in thurles , unlike cody they were well hidden at the back of the old stand , they spent more time having a chat with supporters then taking notes i imagine there will be a big video night later in the week though

Players who could have but didnt line out for Tipp yesterday. Many reasons from serious injury to defecting to hurling to playing pro sports, working in US, soccer scholarships in US, to simply not being selected as the reason for absence.

TJ Ryan, John Meagher, Dylan Fitzelle, Jack Shelly, Tom Kirwan and Philip Quirke have been dogged with injury problems.
    1. John Meagher
    2. Colin o'Riordan
    3. Dylan Fitzelle
    4. Seamus Kennedy
    5. Stephen o'brien
    6. Ian Fahey
    7. Greg Henry
    8. Philip Quirke
    9. Liam Mcgrath
    10. John Mcgrath
    11. Tj Ryan
    12. Jason Lonergan
    13. Colman Kennedy
    14. Liam Casey
    15. Kevin Fahey
    16. Jack Shelley
    17. Ross Mulcahy
    18. Gearoid Slattery
    19. Luke Boland
    20. Tom Kirwan

When you look at the potential we could have had, its phenomenal to think what Kearns and the management have achieved really.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement