Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Tipperary GAA (Club and Intercounty) Thread

Comments

Jizique wrote: »
    What happened? Score?

Loughmore won 1-22 to 1-12. Flew out of the blocks. Jake sent off. A straight red.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Jizique

Loughmore won 1-22 to 1-12. Flew out of the blocks. Jake sent off. A straight red.

Thanks; sounds very one-sided; last weeks Drom game was outstanding, some great scores as well as some controversy and then the penalty shootout

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

What a win for Loughmore. Nenagh the ultimate Jekyll and Hyde team. it couldnt have gone more differently for them this week. An all mid-final on the cards? Kiladangan v Drom will be an interesting tussle.
    Mirrors what happened Glynn Barntown in Wexford who knocked out championship favourites in St Martins before been blown away by Shelmaliers the week after.

Mirrors what happened Glynn Barntown in Wexford who knocked out championship favourites in St Martins before been blown away by Shelmaliers the week after.

Rough on Shelmaliers and other clubs that there is no All ireland club championship to contest. A disgrace, personally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Rough on Shelmaliers and other clubs that there is no All ireland club championship to contest. A disgrace, personally.
    Its not disgraceful at all considering the unprecedented year its been
    We dont know how the winter will go. Getting county championships played and then hope winter cases are kept low and 2021 can go back towards normal.

• Advertisement

Its not disgraceful at all considering the unprecedented year its been
    We dont know how the winter will go. Getting county championships played and then hope winter cases are kept low and 2021 can go back towards normal.

Its all designed to suit the intercounty game again which was pretty much a write off months ago. Clubs are the core of the GAA. They lend to counties but are treated like sh1te by the corporate money grabbers at the top. They should have been treated with more respect. If for example, Kiladangan win their first SHC, they wont get to go on and represent the county. I fail to see how you cannot recognise this blatantly obvious injustice. It pretty much flies in the face of anyone who has bothered to represent for their club/parish either on the playing field or doing the other jobs that no one wants to do

The GAA are a greedy organisation that are making vast wealth off the backs of volunteers all over the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭1373

Its all designed to suit the intercounty game again which was pretty much a write off months ago. Clubs are the core of the GAA. They lend to counties but are treated like sh1te by the corporate money grabbers at the top. They should have been treated with more respect. If for example, Kiladangan win their first SHC, they wont get to go on and represent the county. I fail to see how you cannot recognise this blatantly obvious injustice. It pretty much flies in the face of anyone who has bothered to represent for their club/parish either on the playing field or doing the other jobs that no one wants to do

The GAA are a greedy organisation that are making vast wealth off the backs of volunteers all over the country.
    I totally disagree with you. Club games in the summer, county in winter. Great hurling streamed weekly, lack of crowds does not seem to affect the players. Big games every weekend and all grades been played out together. Could not ask for much more except to be allowed go to games

The clubs got to play a full county championship when there were worries earlier in the year they wouldnt get to play at all. The inter county championship should be played as well.
    Its unfortunate but something had to be done in this unprecedented time. Look at the club rugby season for 19/20 season. The IRFU stopped the leagues in March and said there would be no promotion or relegation between leagues that were 80% completed. That is far bigger injustice and clubs just got on with it accepting it as they knew that covid is far bigger than this.
    1373 wrote: »
    I totally disagree with you. Club games in the summer, county in winter. Great hurling streamed weekly, lack of crowds does not seem to affect the players. Big games every weekend and all grades been played out together. Could not ask for much more except to be allowed go to games
    Well that cant be long term. At some stage the GAA will have to ensure nationwide that club and county games are played concurrently.

Kiladangan won 1-21 to 9 points. Disappointing for Drom. Interesting matchup in two weeks... Kiladangan have serious talent, but Loughmore are one tough nut to crack and they have the experience.

Kiladangan won 1-21 to 9 points. Disappointing for Drom. Interesting matchup in two weeks... Kiladangan have serious talent, but Loughmore are one tough nut to crack and they have the experience.

Thanks, two blowouts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭klose

Loughmore have a football semi vs Moyle Rovers next week before the final, you'd imagine they'll be gunning for the double senior titles this year.

klose wrote: »
    Loughmore have a football semi vs Moyle Rovers next week before the final, you'd imagine they'll be gunning for the double senior titles this year.

Id imagine it will be either a case of being spurred on by yesterday or legs beginning to get tired. How much of their first team play football? Does Noel or John play? Cant imagine kennedy is still involved for the footballers although he was a very good footballer in his time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭klose

Id imagine it will be either a case of being spurred on by yesterday or legs beginning to get tired. How much of their first team play football? Does Noel or John play? Cant imagine kennedy is still involved for the footballers although he was a very good footballer in his time

All the mcgraths also play football (and nifty at it too, John was part of the minor team that won a minor all Ireland in 2011) well atleast they were last season anwyays, I belive they did the county double in 2013?

Last year the commercials loughmore was probably one of the best games of football I ever watched, high quality scores throughout the day and commercials pipped em by a point in extra time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,103 ✭✭✭joeguevara

All the mcgraths also play football (and nifty at it too, John was part of the minor team that won a minor all Ireland in 2011) well atleast they were last season anwyays, I belive they did the county double in 2013?

Last year the commercials loughmore was probably one of the best games of football I ever watched, high quality scores throughout the day and commercials pipped em by a point in extra time.

It was an absolute cracker. While not really a staunch fan of any football club in Tipp (definitely staunch hurling) as my parents live just over the Aldi carpark I do my best with them and my god that was amazing.

I know the lads have played a bit in the past but i was wondering whether they still togged out for their footballers. I suppose its a given in Loughmore.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

What happened to drom and inch why did the team not give callanan more space

bobbyy gee wrote: »

It seems the sweeper was very effective for Kiladangan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

It seems the sweeper was very effective for Kiladangan

Kiladangan didn't play with a sweeper??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

bobbyy gee wrote: »

Listening to it on tippfm i think drom played with 2 sweepers, Callahan was swamped anytime the ball went near him, drom were worried after leaving kildangan hit them for 4 goals in group stage.

Michael Kennedy from Newcastle to referee the County Senior Hurling final between Kiladangan and Loughmore.

• Advertisement

Loughmore beat Moyle Rovers 0-18 to 1-11 in county senior football semi-final.
    final v Clonmel Commercials to be played September 27th

Unbelievable achievement for Loughmore/Castleiney. They are one hell of a club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,119 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Unbelievable achievement for Loughmore/Castleiney. They are one hell of a club.

yep and from any dealings i have had with people from that part of the world a sound bunch too , very impressive to be fair

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

What a remarkable club they are, wouldnt bet against them doing the double again! Strange that rovers didnt use any subs. At least according to tipp live report anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,073 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Just wondering what you think, should the clubs play first, or the intercounty first?

My own view is the club competition is run off first!

Too much emphasis on the Prima Donnas in the intercounty scene

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

Xenophile wrote: »
    Just wondering what you think, should the clubs play first, or the intercounty first?

Splitting the season isnt the answer either. Put in proper structures and play both at same time with proper sanctions for counties and county managers who try stop inter county players also playing with clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Couldn't disagree anymore with the 2 most recent posts...

Couldn't disagree anymore with the 2 most recent posts...
    In what way do you actually disagree?

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭lim4ev

Splitting the season isnt the answer either. Put in proper structures and play both at same time with proper sanctions for counties and county managers who try stop inter county players also playing with clubs.

For what it's worth I totally agree with you play club and county in tandem with proper rest times between games best of both worlds then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

I think the split season is a good idea for two main reasons;
    1. the club player has a set season with regular matches and a known conclusion date
    2. the club matches generated a lot more interest this year as the intercounty matches weren't distracting from it

OAOB wrote: »
    1. the club player has a set season with regular matches and a known conclusion date
    2. the club matches generated a lot more interest this year as the intercounty matches weren't distracting from it
    You have some players who never get an off season then?
    Club games get lot of interest anyway and the club players are in the majority so why should they be limited in terms of playing their main competitions to specific periods because of the small number who play inter county.
    There is more than enough time to play both at the same time.

Keep the seasons split !

Great to see the clubs getting their place in the sun.

Longer season for supporters with costs spread out over as much of the year as possible.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

lim4ev wrote: »
    For what it's worth I totally agree with you play club and county in tandem with proper rest times between games best of both worlds then

County players will not be allowed to play club by many managers

Well do something to stop that. Everything cant be held up for the tiny numbers who play inter county

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

In what way are they "Prima Donnas"???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 503 ✭✭✭johnb25

OAOB wrote: »

Agreed. Full focus now on club games.
    Also, fairer to the County players. They are not being pulled by two managers, and trying to split their attention between two teams.
    Club championship should also give players a chance to play their way onto the county panel.

The County Senior Hurling Fina between Lougmore and Kiladangan is to be shown live next Sunday on TG4.

Keep the two competitions split and we will see more Club games on the tele.

johnb25 wrote: »
    Agreed. Full focus now on club games.
    Also, fairer to the County players. They are not being pulled by two managers, and trying to split their attention between two teams.
    Club championship should also give players a chance to play their way onto the county panel.
    So make their seasons longer. There needs to be more combination/mixing of the seasons to get a better off season/more club games in summer and not hold up all levels of senior club because of 35 players per county...
    The County Senior Hurling Fina between Lougmore and Kiladangan is to be shown live next Sunday on TG4.

Keep the two competitions split and we will see more Club games on the tele.
    There will always and always has been loads of club games live on tv. Time of year has been irrelevant.

In the event of a clash the broadcaster will always pick the most glamourous tie.

So make their seasons longer. There needs to be more combination/mixing of the seasons to get a better off season/more club games in summer and not hold up all levels of senior club because of 35 players per county...

Intercounty already runs from December through August, followed by club, so couldn't make it much longer. Just divert some of the county training time to club season. Scrap the pre-season leagues and knock out competition at the end of the league. Club competitions first, then the best players into the county squad. On the club side I would scrap the provincial and all Ireland series.

• Advertisement

Already runs from December through August, so couldn't make it much longer. Just divert some of the county training time to club season. Scrap the pre-season leagues and knock out competition at the end of the league. Club competitions first, then the best players into the county squad. On the club side I would scrap the provincial and all Ireland series.
    The provincial and all ireland series for clubs is one of the best competitions and especially the junior/intermediate levels give even the smallest clubs the opportunity to play in Croke Park. It would be ridiculous to not play them

The pre season competitions have to be scrapped. Just let teams play friendlies which they do on top of these competitions anyway.
    I dont see why you should scrap the knock out games in the league or complete the league before the championship even starts.

The provincial and all ireland series for clubs is one of the best competitions and especially the junior/intermediate levels give even the smallest clubs the opportunity to play in Croke Park. It would be ridiculous to not play them

The pre season competitions have to be scrapped. Just let teams play friendlies which they do on top of these competitions anyway.
    I dont see why you should scrap the knock out games in the league or complete the league before the championship even starts.

Reason for scrapping club competitions outside the county is to bring a clean end to the club season before county starts. Maintaining it for lower grades would probably not impact county squads. Hadn't considered them.
    Scrapping the knock out league games would shorten the season for the county players. Could also make for more competitive rounds if there is no second chance to win it via the knock out competition at the end.

Reason for scrapping club competitions outside the county is to bring a clean end to the club season before county starts. Maintaining it for lower grades would probably not impact county squads. Hadn't considered them.
    Scrapping the knock out league games would shorten the season for the county players. Could also make for more competitive rounds if there is no second chance to win it via the knock out competition at the end.
    I dont know any club players who would want to remove the provincial and all ireland series.
    There doesnt have to be a clear break between club season and inter county season if clubs, county boards and county coaches treated club players with respect.
    If you put proper sanctions in place to stop clubs games from being halted because of inter county teams then you can play both simultaneously.

You can shorten the inter county championship by streamlining the provincial championships far more than cutting knock out league games.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭lim4ev

Put the structures in place so that county managers can't do that if it's a level playing field you'd be surprised how quick it'll become the norm

lim4ev wrote: »
    Put the structures in place so that county managers can't do that if it's a level playing field you'd be surprised how quick it'll become the norm

That's how it should be, but I'm sceptical about it being brought in, or enforced.

That's how it should be, but I'm sceptical about it being brought in, or enforced.

County managers would “invent” injuries to prevent players playing for clubs; happened in Dublin with the footballers more than a few times, even Brian Howard was “encouraged” not to play for DIT in Jan/Feb college competition although he was on scholarship in preparation for Aug/Sept county games

County managers would “invent” injuries to prevent players playing for clubs; happened in Dublin with the footballers more than a few times, even Brian Howard was “encouraged” not to play for DIT in Jan/Feb college competition although he was on scholarship in preparation for Aug/Sept county games

Exactly. And it puts the players in an unfair position. That's why I think something like we have this year is the way around it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,119 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

tipp dont have too many prima donnas espically with people like o'shea and sheedy around but it would be a better idea if the club was played first in the summer and inter county in winter

the real cash cow for the gaa is the all ireland semi finals onward and to be fair if they were played on a Saturday night in December they would still clean up

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭1373

No mention of the hurling county final on the Tipp gaa Twitter all week but all week posting about the county board draw , goes to show exactly what kind of people run the show and before anyone says money is important for games ,I’d reckon the players and games are everything in the gaa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Triboro

Is the county final on tg4 today?
    Only see tour de france on listings!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement