Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Tipperary GAA (Club and Intercounty) Thread

Comments

Tipp totally dominant. Gone two in ftint and have held Limerick scoreless for 20 mins second half.

More like it. A totally different team in the second half.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭Coybig_

Water break came at the wrong time or gone back into the shell since going ahead. Need to sharpen up again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Unreal kick from Sweeney.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

What a free! What a player!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Tipp did all the hard work in reeling Limerick in and drawing level. Had all the momentum and the breeze but fell asleep for 20 minutes. Lucky to get a last gasp draw in the end.

Tipp did all the hard work in reeling Limerick in and drawing level. Had all the momentum and the breeze but fell asleep for 20 minutes. Lucky to get a last gasp draw in the end.

Desperate lucky, but when the chips are doing the real top players come to the fore. Why are we starving such a lethal forward of ball? He'd make the Dublin or Kerry team. He's that good

Water breaks really break the momentum. Should be gotten rid of, surely they can go 35 minutes without water.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Water breaks really break the momentum. Should be gotten rid of, surely they can go 35 minutes without water.
    As you cant be bringing on water at other parts of the game like normal they need to be kept. They dont really break much momentum.

No need for water breaks. Pure nonsense. The sooner they get rid of this the better.

No need for water breaks. Pure nonsense. The sooner they get rid of this the better.
    Its solely because of covid and you cant have people sharing bottles etc which means you cant have people going round giving water or whatever else like normal
    It will be got rid of when things are close to back to normal.

• Advertisement

Its solely because of covid and you cant have people sharing bottles etc which means you cant have people going round giving water or whatever else like normal
    It will be got rid of when things are close to back to normal.

Yea fair enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Boland had got a couple of scores, but he's very greedy.
    Has turned over ball several times trying to hold on to it when a simple pass to advance the play was on.

Lucky not to conceade a goal there.

I cannot believe he has missed that. Wow. Wouldnt have been able for penalties.

Delighted that Tipp won but how naieve was that defending again with the last play of the game to allow a Limerick man so much space to make a mark? Hard to fathom. Nice to get to a Munster final but this is not the Tipp team of a few years ago and i can see Kerry putting 20 points on them in the final but lets worry about that another day. It's a good achievement for Tipp to get to a Munster final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Coybig_ wrote: »
    I cannot believe he has missed that. Wow. Wouldnt have been able for penalties.

An easy mark given away and blessed he missed.

I thought it was apt Brian Fox got the winning point.
    His introduction at half time made a big difference, it plugged the gaps in out defence and prevented anymore cross field balls (like the one that created Limerick's second goal).
    He was as usual very assured in possession and helped us work the ball out with some purpose and reduced us funneling ourselves in to blind alleys.

Credit to Robbie Kiely aswell for the bursting run and kick which leveled the game.

As for Sweeney, what can you say. We'd be ****ed without him.

Delighted that Tipp won but how naieve was that defending again with the last play of the game to allow a Limerick man so much space to make a mark? Hard to fathom. Nice to get to a Munster final but this is not the Tipp team of a few years ago and i can see Kerry putting 20 points on them in the final but lets worry about that another day. It's a good achievement for Tipp to get to a Munster final.

I'm quietly confident that we will be very competitive in the final, regardless of who we play.

I'm quietly confident that we will be very competitive in the final, regardless of who we play.

I hope they are. Nice boost for the county anyway.

We are in a Munster final almost 100 years on from Bloody Sunday. 100 years and a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,073 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Conor Sweeney's wonder point from the sideline deep into injury time was every bit as good if not better than Maurice Fitzgerald's score against Dublin in Thurles in 2001.

A score to inspire future generations.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Xenophile wrote: »
    Conor Sweeney's wonder point from the sideline deep into injury time was every bit as good if not better than Maurice Fitzgerald's score against Dublin in Thurles in 2001.

A score to inspire future generations.

Brilliant brilliant score. Not sure which one is better.
    Fitzgerald had some assistance from the wind, but put it over the black spot.

Given the circumstances it was a brilliant kick, in off the up right makes it better for me.

Disappointing with the footballers you'd have to fear for them in a munster final. If its kerry game will be in thurles. They all seem one footed and handpass off the same hand, kerry or Cork will eat that. Very slow in transmission also. Good spirit shown all the same.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 4,073 ✭✭✭Xenophile

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Jizique

Given the circumstances it was a brilliant kick, in off the up right makes it better for me.

Disappointing with the footballers you'd have to fear for them in a munster final. If its kerry game will be in thurles. They all seem one footed and handpass off the same hand, kerry or Cork will eat that. Very slow in transmission also. Good spirit shown all the same.

Kerry and Cork not giving much away today

Cork it is then.

Good outcome for us seeing as we haven't beaten Kerry in the Championship for almost 100 years.

Our record v Cork not great either, but we do have the Championship win and a league win against them in recent years.

They will be clear favourites but there is a chance of an upset I think.

Jizique wrote: »
    Kerry and Cork not giving much away today

Weather was atrocious in fairness. At one stage even the camera wouldn't work, the rain was so heavy

• Advertisement

Good news for Tipp alright. Good news for the whole country. I was sure Kerry were going to get to another All Ire final and try to make amends for last year. There will be a spring in the Tipp lads legs in training this week. Still big underdogs but who knows?

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭KIB4Life

Cork it is then.

Good outcome for us seeing as we haven't beaten Kerry in the Championship for almost 100 years.

Our record v Cork not great either, but we do have the Championship win and a league win against them in recent years.

They will be clear favourites but there is a chance of an upset I think.

I think the game will be played 100 years and a day after Blood Sunday so it would be a fitting way for Tipp to commemorate Blood Sunday by winning the Munster Title.

Good news for Tipp alright. Good news for the whole country. I was sure Kerry were going to get to another All Ire final and try to make amends for last year. There will be a spring in the Tipp lads legs in training this week. Still big underdogs but who knows?

The Dubs will rightly celebrate. They are a shoe-in for six now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

Absolutely there will be a spring in the Tipp lads step, it will be a huge difference psychologically going up against a Cork team they beat and almost beat in the last few years than facing Kerry who's green and gold seem to have most teams beaten before the first whistle. Will still be huge underdogs but I expect Tipp to really put it up to Cork.

Tipp have drawn Cork in the hurling draw. Worst possible outcome i feel. The game is 50/50 imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Speakerboxx

Tipp have drawn Cork in the hurling draw. Worst possible outcome i feel. The game is 50/50 imo.

Pressure is on Cork. They have poor record against Tipp over the last decade.

I really don't think Cork's record over the last 10 years will have any relevance to how this Cork team feels. I think the pressure is more on Tipp if anyone. They are All Ire champions after all. And coming off a pretty poor performance v Limerick. To lose their two opening matches and exiting the championship as reigning All Ire champions would be a disaster. Lets hope it doesn't happen.

Tipperary Co. Board have confirmed that coinciding with the 100-year anniversary of Bloody Sunday that the Tipperary team will wear the official replica green and white jersey as worn by Tipperary on that eventful day as a mark of respect to all of the fallen.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭KIB4Life

Tipperary Co. Board have confirmed that coinciding with the 100-year anniversary of Bloody Sunday that the Tipperary team will wear the official replica green and white jersey as worn by Tipperary on that eventful day as a mark of respect to all of the fallen.

Be great if Cork would wear the Terence McSwiney and Tomas MacCurtain jersey for the game as well. Is the Tipp replica jersey available to buy on the O’Neills website?

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭benji79

Nothing too one sided though. In last 3 years where the majority of the two panels have played it’s one win each and a draw. Anything before that is different players for Cork so means nothing to current bunch.

I can tell you Cork don’t have any pressure on them as most cork people have them written off since the Waterford game and are expecting them to lose

The path for retaining the All Ireland for Tipp now means they'll have to beat Cork, the Leinster runners up, possibly the Leinster winners in an All Ire semi final and then Limerick again in a final. Something like that. A very diffulicult road ahead.

Not too bothered about the Cork draw in the hurling. If we can't beat Cork we have no business being anywhere near the business end of an All Ireland series.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭formerlyET

Not too bothered about the Cork draw in the hurling. If we can't beat Cork we have no business being anywhere near the business end of an All Ireland series.

I always respect Cork - they can play. They are a team who turn teams over when least expected.

formerlyET wrote: »
    I always respect Cork - they can play. They are a team who turn teams over when least expected.

Well this just isn't true, they have lost 6 of their last 7 All Ireland Semi Finals. They have just one Championship win in Croke Park in the last decade. If we have any aspirations this year then beating Cork is going to be the least of our troubles. They are not a serious contender, when the chips are down they collapse. If we can't dispose of them then that tells me that we would be beaten by the majority of teams still in the competition.

If they do turn us over then we would have had no business anyway at the Semi Final/Final stages of the All Ireland. I'm fine with the draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭Paddico

[HTML][/HTML]

Not sure about this at all. Wear the replica jersey for any official ceremony before hand and the national anthem but let the players get on with the game in their own jerseys.
    They will have enough on their mind on the big day.

• Advertisement

Paddico wrote: »
    [HTML][/HTML]

Not sure about this at all. Wear the replica jersey for any official ceremony before hand and the national anthem but let the players get on with the game in their own jerseys.

Yes have to agree. I understand the occassion has to be marked and wearing the jersey at some stage would be apt but not to play the Munstrr final in them.

If the old jersey was anyway like the current one with any shade of blue and gold i wouldn't mind but the fact the old jerseys were green and white i think it's not going to benefit Tipp in anyway. All counties want their traditional 'home' colurs on and it will be strange to see Tipp in green and white.

[HTML][/HTML]

Will it really affect the players though?
    Why would it affect them and it be centre to their thoughts on the day?
    Look at all kinds of sports and teams wearing multiple jerseys in a season including one offs.

Well this just isn't true, they have lost 6 of their last 7 All Ireland Semi Finals. They have just one Championship win in Croke Park in the last decade. If we have any aspirations this year then beating Cork is going to be the least of our troubles. They are not a serious contender, when the chips are down they collapse. If we can't dispose of them then that tells me that we would be beaten by the majority of teams still in the competition.

If they do turn us over then we would have had no business anyway at the Semi Final/Final stages of the All Ireland. I'm fine with the draw.

You seem to be having a conversation with yourself. :) What I said was:
    'I always respect Cork - they can play. They are a team who turn teams over when least expected.'
    I didn't say anything about semifinals or Croke Park or anything about Cork as a measure of Tipp's all-Ireland ambitions.
    If Cork beat Tipp - it would tell me that Cork beat Tipp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

These matches are difficult to call. Seems to me a few people that were nearly writing cork off completely last week are now talking them up this week, just on the basis of one decent, but hardly exceptional, performance. But they have the weapons to do damage to us if our big players don't stamp their mark on the game, i have little doubt about that. Slight edge to tipp for me on basis i think their character will shine through.

One interesting side narrative is to look at 2018 u/20s and how many cork have brought through compared to us. Not sure how much that says, there's never any guarantee with young players and that was a truly exceptional crop cork had so maybe not surprising so many were ready to make the leap. Still, interesting all the same i think.

These matches are difficult to call. Seems to me a few people that were nearly writing cork off completely last week are now talking them up this week, just on the basis of one decent, but hardly exceptional, performance. But they have the weapons to do damage to us if our big players don't stamp their mark on the game, i have little doubt about that. Slight edge to tipp for me on basis i think their character will shine through.

One interesting side narrative is to look at 2018 u/20s and how many cork have brought through compared to us. Not sure how much that says, there's never any guarantee with young players and that was a truly exceptional crop cork had so maybe not surprising so many were ready to make the leap. Still, interesting all the same i think.

Bigger, more athletic men were the spine of that Cork underage side. The Tipp team were more of the sum of their parts. There were some fabulous underage players on that Tipp side but some of the Cork players have developed physically faster and some of the Tipp men, especially the backs, have not developed physically yet.
    That said, it's a lot harder to break into a team that has won two senior all-irelands recently - 2016/2019.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

formerlyET wrote: »
    Bigger, more athletic men were the spine of that Cork underage side. The Tipp team were more of the sum of their parts. There were some fabulous underage players on that Tipp side but some of the Cork players have developed physically faster and some of the Tipp men, especially the backs, have not developed physically yet.
    That said, it's a lot harder to break into a team that has won two senior all-irelands recently - 2016/2019.

That's true, corks need for new blood was greater and, if pushed, I'd prefer to have the edge on experience going into a do or die battle like next weeks. I don't think there are any questions about the character of this tipp team anyway.

And it does go to show once again that while winning under age titles is great in itself, it's not the be all and end all. If the choice was between getting 2 proper players off a winning team and 5 off one that won nothing, I'd go for the latter each time.

That's true, corks need for new blood was greater and, if pushed, I'd prefer to have the edge on experience going into a do or die battle like next weeks. I don't think there are any questions about the character of this tipp team anyway.

And it does go to show once again that while winning under age titles is great in itself, it's not the be all and end all. If the choice was between getting 2 proper players off a winning team and 5 off one that won nothing, I'd go for the latter each time.

Yes, agreed. Underage hurling is about end product for the senior team. What a crop 2010 was. But those types of teams are rare.

I'd like if the game was further inland and further east - any time you go west you risk serious rain at this time of year. - Tullamore or Portlaoise would have been fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Dayor Knight

Cork are coming in off the back of a win. Tipp off a convincing defeat. Tipp have most to lose. I don't like the feel of this one, but I hope Liam and Eamonn can get then into the right place in time. It all or bust now which often brings out the best in us. If we can get past this one, we'll be back in business.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭1373

[HTML][/HTML]

Kerry and mayo seem to have no issues with a jersey change

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Ompala

The biggest threat Cork have on Tipp is pace in the forward line. I dread seeing those Cork greyhounds with ball in hand running through our half back line.

However, on the flip side that Cork defence is flaky, has been for years and we do have firepower to do damage.

Prefer to have a win coming in to this one, but I'm sure Liam will have been setting the record straight with players that the performance against Limerick was nowhere near what is required. I'm intrigued to see what changes he makes to the starting team - any news on injuries to Paudie, Heffernan, Bonner?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement