Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Tipperary GAA (Club and Intercounty) Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭formerlyET

May we never start a game without Dan McCormack again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Absolutely brilliant second half from Tiipp. I was very worried at the break but Tipp outfought Cork and totally deserved their wiin. That may kickstart Tipp's season. I'm delighted for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,103 ✭✭✭joeguevara

What a second half and what an end to the second half. Wow.

The hurling and football run in the club has caught up the McGraths - look very tired.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Tipp 77

Willie Connors was immense when he came on. How many scores was he involved in through turning over the sliotar in the tackle or giving the final pass.
    We wouldn't have gotten out of there without him I think

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Tipp 77

formerlyET wrote: »
    May we never start a game without Dan McCormack again.

He was unreal all over the pitch

Tipp 77 wrote: »
    Willie Connors was immense when he came on. How many scores was he involved in through turning over the sliotar in the tackle or giving the final pass.
    We wouldn't have gotten out of there without him I think

Hit a great point to get things going.

Breen also was very good. Better player in the forwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Ompala

As a Tipp man living in Cork, I am delighted the lads proved me wrong. Immense second half performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Tipp 77 wrote: »
    He was unreal all over the pitch

Michael Breen was'nt too shabby.

• Advertisement

Some world of difference between the ball going into the forwards in the second half compared to the first half.

I thought the backs were excellent in the second half. Alan Flynn, Brendan Maher, Pauraic Maher and possibly the best of all Ronan Maher who caught a great ball towards the end, burst out and shouldered a Cork man two feet in the air. He did something similiar in last years All Ire semi final v Wexford. Ronan Maher is a colossas.

I thought the backs were excellent in the second half. Alan Flynn, Brendan Maher, Pauraic Maher and possibly the best of all Ronan Maher who caught a great ball towards the end, burst out and shouldered a Cork man two feet in the air. He did something similiar in last years All Ire semi final v Wexford. Ronan Maher is a colossas.

Tipp had finally begun to play themselves into some kind of form and looked like they were enjoying it and up for it. A long way off from top gear, but hopefully they can get closer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 684 ✭✭✭farmerval

I've to put me hand up, I'd no faith in Breen or Jason Forde, both proved me well wrong today, Forde's goal was excellent real hard battling goal and Breen was excellent, last point in particular.

Thought Paidi was lucky to see out the game, was definitely a little off the pace. The two McGrath's were very flat. Again good to see the subs contributing. I really like Willie Connors brings great energy.

Is Jake Morris the new Lar??? Superb and frustrating in equal measures.

When Flynn came on he stayed in near the Cork goal and gave us something to aim at. Seamie must be frustrated, he won plenty of ball out near the corner yet we nearly never had support when he won possession

farmerval wrote: »
    I've to put me hand up, I'd no faith in Breen or Jason Forde, both proved me well wrong today, Forde's goal was excellent real hard battling goal and Breen was excellent, last point in particular.

Thought Paidi was lucky to see out the game, was definitely a little off the pace. The two McGrath's were very flat. Again good to see the subs contributing. I really like Willie Connors brings great energy.

When Flynn came on he stayed in near the Cork goal and gave us something to aim at. Seamie must be frustrated, he won plenty of ball out near the corner yet we nearly never had support when he won possession

I was surprised. Jake is usually quite tidy - those conditions were horrendous though

Paul Flynn deserves plaudits for his contribution after coming on - threw over two points. Keeping up his club form.

• Advertisement

The Tipp boss said top-scorer Jason Forde appeared to be the only injury concern: “Jason (Forde) was a bit niggly near the end coming off. I haven’t seen the diagnosis but fingers crossed. Hopefully not too serious.”

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭1373

farmerval wrote: »

I’d have great time for breen ,2016 he was our m fennelly, but mike Ryan tried to make a full forward out of him in 2017 . It was criminal. In 2016 he out scored many Tipp forwards in every game except the final

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

That’s 2 games in a row where our main men like paudie, the Mc Grath’s,and callanan were below par.
    Michael breen and connors saved us last night.
    Thought forde was very good too

Any news about forde?

Waterford or Galway - a savage battle on the cards. Doesn't really matter who?

• Advertisement

Waterford were impressive enough today but they are a step below Galway imo and i'd rather Tipp drew the Deise to be honest. Waterford will have one less day to recover also. That may be a minor advantage but every little bit helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭giveitholly

joeguevara wrote: »
    Any news about forde?

Heard he is fine

Waterford were impressive enough today but they are a step below Galway imo and i'd rather Tipp drew the Deise to be honest. Waterford will have one less day to recover also. That may be a minor advantage but every little bit helps.

Good points. Fair play to Cahill he has turned Waterford right around. He was indicating towards a clear out of some of the more senior players when he was being touted to take over Michael Ryan. Might be a few lads on the Tipp team who want to prove him wrong again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Ompala

Strange game to analyse looking back. We were very poor in the first half, but were getting on plenty of ball. Use of the ball in particular was bizarre, when Cork had Coleman sitting back we persisted with long ball down on top. Second half was a totally different style, much more looking up and hitting the ball to favour the forward. It's also probably a strange game from a Cork view, first half bar the goal they did little up front - but to their credit did hunt back plenty.

On the team, Hogan and full back line were fairly solid throughout. One thing I find worrying is Ronans tendency to run the ball out from full back. If he loses it (much more likely this time of year) then it the other team have open road to goal. Hes used to doing this from centre back but needs to cut this out (cost us a few goals in the league, and one yesterday imo). It also put the fear of god in me at the end watching him attack a long high ball in to the square! Barrett and Flynn played well in the corners. Flynn seems very versatile, covered every blade of grass last night.

Half back line coped well enough throughout. The Niall O Meara gamble paid off, as felt he did quite well to break Cork play in the first half, but faded as the game went on. To be fair, Harnedy was Corks best forward on the night too. Brendan was fairly reliable but will be sickened to have hist pocket picked for the Cork goal. Paudie much more involved but still looks a small bit off the pace to me. This game will have brought him on no doubt. Some very aimless pot shots need to be looked at though.

Breen was outstanding. Took the game to Cork early on and never let up. He brings plenty of physicality that was missed against Limerick, and had the scoring touch last night particularly impressive given the conditions. Noel McGrath had one of his quietest games, similarly John. I'm wondering if they by chance are just a bit burned out from all the playing between hurling and football for Loughmore. They were trying but little seemed to go right for them last night.

For the forwards, where can we find another Dan McCormack. Absolute warrior last night, broke ball and made the hard yards. Again, you can see the difference his physicality makes. And chipped in with a nice brace of points too! Bonner was solid for a first outing, nothing spectacular but got on plenty of ball.

Inside forward line were transformed between the two halves. When the right ball goes in they can make hay. Callanan was fairly anonymous in the first half but turned the Cork defenders inside out when running on to balls out by the sideline. Forde very good, always showed for the ball even if the accuracy was off by his standards. Took the goal superbly, really battled to get through. Very tough night on the frees, conditions awful. Hopefully nothing serious with the injury. Jake Morris mixed the superb with the infuriating, but seemed to grow into the game as it wore on. Again, took his goal chance brilliantly. Also think he supplied the pass to Forde for the first goal.

Of the subs, Willie Connors was standout. Haven't been a fan of him in the past but he really battled hard and set up Morris excellently. Paul Flynn also played a very good part as target man when introduced and took his points well. Didn't see much of Cadell to comment and Quirke not on long enough.

Plenty to work on for the next game which is a great position for Sheedy to have them. Waterford or Galway for us, neither are going to be easy and won't fear us but encouraging signs from last night that we might be finding a bit of form. Grinding out a hard win will stand to us. I'm sure management will have plenty of selection headaches for the next day.

Tipp hurlers should be allowed to wear the green and white next Saturday and for the rest of the championship - playing on the anniversary of Bloody Sunday against Galway next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭benji79

It would be kind of stealing the footballers plan regarding jerseys now if the hurlers did it the day before. No big deal but it wouldn’t be any novelty then on the Sunday. The footballers are the poor relation in tipp, let them get some bit of limelight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Tipp hurlers should be allowed to wear the green and white next Saturday and for the rest of the championship - playing on the anniversary of Bloody Sunday against Galway next week.
    Why?
    It should be a one off to commemorate Bloody Sunday and considering it was the footballers who played that day i dont see why hurlers should be wearing the jersey.

a seminal moment in Tipp and the GAA's history - should be marked as much as possible - doesn't take anything away anything from anyone.

Some diffucult road ahead for Tipp to win the All Ireland. Cirk, Galway and possibly Limerick and Kilkenny. You would think a team would need their full compliment and nearly everything to go righr for them to do it. I'd actually slightly favour Galway to win on Saturday but who knows?

Some diffucult road ahead for Tipp to win the All Ireland. Cirk, Galway and possibly Limerick and Kilkenny. You would think a team would need their full compliment and nearly everything to go righr for them to do it. I'd actually slightly favour Galway to win on Saturday but who knows?

Tipp are up against it - injuries and form seem to point against us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭Paddico

Why?
    It should be a one off to commemorate Bloody Sunday and considering it was the footballers who played that day i dont see why hurlers should be wearing the jersey.

Completely agree

Johnny Murphy (Limerick) ref for the hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭maximo31

Interesting listen. :
    https://www.rte.ie/radio1/doconone/2020/1109/1176910-100-years-100-miles/
    The recordings of the players talking of the day itself would have the hair standing on the back of your neck!

Damien Hayes and Eoin Larkin reckon that Galway's performance against Kilkenny will be enough to see off Tipp. Don't rate Tipp at all. They seem to believe that the older lads legs are gone.

Absolutely tore Bubbles apart - didn't seem to believe he has had a summer and autumn of operations and bad injuries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭sportsfan90

Imagine people talked about a camogie players weight like they did with Bubbles

Imagine people talked about a camogie players weight like they did with Bubbles

It would be the end of a career

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Bubbles is off the panel anyway AFAIK.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Bubbles is off the panel anyway AFAIK.

According to hurler on the ditch Twitter page himself and Ger Browne

• Advertisement

According to hurler on the ditch Twitter page himself and Ger Browne

I'd imagine so, Bubbles as valiant as his effort was - just had no luck with injuries this year. Plagued.

I think, Ger Browne has a club issue to sort out - don't know if that's related.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Damien Hayes and Eoin Larkin reckon that Galway's performance against Kilkenny will be enough to see off Tipp. Don't rate Tipp at all. They seem to believe that the older lads legs are gone.

Absolutely tore Bubbles apart - didn't seem to believe he has had a summer and autumn of operations and bad injuries.

Where did you hear this from Hayes? Contradicts this

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/arid-40083302.html%3ftype=amp

Pretty sure Hayes said on that podcast before he'd couldn't care less if the likes of laois, Carlow, westmeath might improve.

Enjoyed Larkin on it in fairness

Yeah, it was on the GAA Hour -
    Larkin goes 'If they (Galway) can get that level of performance against Tipperary they'll overcome Tipperary.'
    Then he goes on to say Tipp don't know their best 15. Hayes also said Galway are training too hard not to win things. As if every other team are not training hard?
    Hayes reckons Galway threw the final away against KK. That Galway were the best team in the Leinster final. And they reckon Tipp just stuck in with hard work while playing badly and Cork just rolled over for Tipp. Tipp were said to be an ageing team with too many miles on the clock. Basically Tipp just fell over the line against a soft team. Then Hayes says it's 50/50 after both of them were very dismissive of Tipp. The two boys were just cutting the head off everyone while slagging Hayes about selling them cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Had a listen there so I did, a complete cowboy so he is.

Kind of agree on Galway though, they will definitely feel they should have won the Leinster Final. Something that can work one of two ways

As a netural Saturday's game is almost impossible to call.

• Advertisement

Damien Hayes,jesus you would get more sense from a donkey

If those two think we are going to be a walkover then they have another thing coming. We have loads of room to improve. If we win Saturday, it will be a huge injection of belief.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭Coybig_

We had a wide count of 18 to 6 I believe. If half of those go over we beat Cork by double figures and still have 50 percent more wides than them.

We created the chances. The scoreline did not reflect the game, we dominated from almost start to finish with the exception of a 10 minute period in the second half.

We were the better team and significantly so. There seem to be people lining up around the country looking to downplay that victory based on the scoreline, ignoring the performance and the wides. It was men against boys.

I'm very happy to see lads thinking that Galway have the edge this weekend, suits us fine.

Coybig_ wrote: »
    We had a wide count of 18 to 6 I believe. If half of those go over we beat Cork by double figures and still have 50 percent more wides than them.

We created the chances. The scoreline did not reflect the game, we dominated from almost start to finish with the exception of a 10 minute period in the second half.

We were the better team and significantly so. There seem to be people lining up around the country looking to downplay that victory based on the scoreline, ignoring the performance and the wides. It was men against boys.

I'm very happy to see lads thinking that Galway have the edge this weekend, suits us fine.

Growing up, Galway provded many days of heartache when we played them so always love getting one over on them. One of the best days ever recently was when we beat them in the semis with a Bourke point from a clash of the ash (ref might have thrown it a bit crooked) but Galway are looking good and always have been a stylish team.

What is the weather going to be like or is it too early to predict?

Tipp need to improve, but we always do on the big occasions (well sometimes).

Weather is looking very fine in Limerick on Saturday.

50/50 chance of rain in Cork on Sunday

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement