Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Tipperary GAA (Club and Intercounty) Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭formerlyET

Apparently Barry Heffernan will start at 3, Ronan at 5, Brendan at 8 and Noel in the forwards.

Heffernan in for John McGrath

Galway favourites now

Hopefully, Heffernan proves me wrong but I don't think he is a full back at this level. O'Meara to the forwards?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

The Gway goal came from Cathal Barret messing around with the sliotar out the field.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭Coybig_

The Gway goal came from Cathal Barret messing around with the sliotar out the field.

Think it was unfortunate that our block fell so well for them. Had done very well defensively to get the block in.

• Advertisement

Terrible camera work - blinding light

Coybig_ wrote: »
    Think it was unfortunate that our block fell so well for them. Had done very well defensively to get the block in.

It was but it wouldn't have happened if Barret wasn't tappying the ball out the field.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭dmc17

formerlyET wrote: »
    Terrible camera work - blinding light

Hard to watch alright. The low winter sun and reflection from the empty stand doesn't help

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭maximo31

McGrath struggling. Think water break might have come at a good time.....

Lost our way in the last 8 minutes. Not tracking runners, not winning 50/50 balls. Ball coming straight back when it goes up to our half forward line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭plumber77

Poor defending to let mannion inside for the goal. Tipp struggling in lots of positions

Too easy that goal for Galway. Marking far too loose.

Two awful wides there. What is Barry Heffernan of all people thinking of shooting from there?

Stuff like that is what made the Cork game close last week. 18 wides last week and looks like we havent learned any lessons.

And one from Ronan Maher, that was disgraceful.

Paudie very loose again. Dan McCormack and Noel McGrath playing well.

Ronan and Heff have points in their locker but it was bad.
    Breen not featuring. He is better further forward when it gets to this stage of the championship. A lot of his points came from forward positions agianst Cork

Is O Meara playing? I haven't heard his name even once.

Nice spell of Tipp dominance. All square again.

A rare Bonnar goal see's Tipp go in front. Playing well now. Breen coming into it.

High scoring game. Great game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Heavy ground is catching out both sides. Good last few mins for us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

A rare Bonnar goal see's Tipp go in front. Playing well now. Breen coming into it.

Thought he’d blown it a few seconds earlier in! Fair play to him, didn’t give up

Tipp started well for first five minutes but Galway got on top for the next 10 minutes and Tipp were looking very looseat the back. But to be fair that was excellent last 15 minutes from Tipp and Galway had no answer as Tipp really moved throigh the gears. Nice four point lead. Here's hoping for more of the same in the second half.

Great time for us to have a purple patch. Would not have fancied us if we went in behind, think our shooting would have gotten more panicky.

At least we have put ourselves in a good spot. Though given how many times we have seen massive swings in scoring this game, 4 points is nothing really.

Their saying on RTE Radio that Tipp had a fairly strong breeze behind them in that half. Looks like another backs to the wall job will be needed like against Cork last week.

Oh look Michael Breen in a half forward position and a point - who would have guessed...

Super score Dan who is playing very well.

Awful mistake from A Flynn..Galway back to two.

Cathal Barret was sailing close to the wind in the first half and has deservey seen the line. Big blow for Tipp.

Great performance by Tipp. Galway better on the day.

• Advertisement

Galway eke out Tipp in another close battle. Cathal Barrets stupid red card made it an.uphill task for Tipp and Galway found more space going down the stretch. It's another tough championship loss against Galway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

Galway eke out Tipp in another close battle. Cathal Barrets stupid red card made it an.uphill task for Tipp and Galway found more space going down the stretch. It's another tough championship loss against Galway.

It makes it tougher to take when it's costly mistakes that lost it for us. How many frees did they give to Canning? Some silly fouls along the way. Still, we played well but it wasn't enough. The sending off killed us.

Blondie919 wrote: »
    It makes it tougher to take when it's costly mistakes that lost it for us. How many frees did they give to Canning? Some silly fouls along the way. Still, we played well but it wasn't enough. The sending off killed us.

Tipp played well with 14 men but Galway did get a few handy points with the extra space. Pity as overall i felt Tipp played well but as it always is, to the victor go the spoils and just like 2015 and 2017 it is an agonising loss to Galway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Tipp played well with 14 men but Galway did get a few handy points with the extra space. Pity as overall i felt Tipp played well but as it always is, to the victor go the spoils and just like 2015 and 2017 it is an agonising loss to Galway.

Tipp were unlucky with the sending off but unlike last year they also had a player red carded, they didn't have the legs on this occasion. Much tougher passage this year which didn't help. But, to win two in a row a team has to negotiate all obstacles. Very few teams are capable of that.

No point in knee jerk reactions - but I don't think Noel should have been taken off. A calm head who was finding space for points... should have been given more time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Ompala

Very disappointing conclusion, red card to me really changed it as Brendan was very effective protecting the full back line, him going into the corner gave Galway that extra bit of space. Was a great effort (totally different team to the Limerick game) just came agonisingly short. Will post more thoughts later. Agree, no need for a knee jerk reaction. Congrats to Galway too and best of luck to them vs Limerick.

• Advertisement

Bitterly disappointing. In all honesty, though, I'm not going to be too hard on Barrett. We overplayed the ball on that occasion and on numerous other occasions so he was under immense pressure when the ball went up the field.

Still, I think the future is bright. A good pool of underage players. Liam Sheedy will give it one more year in 21 and tbh he needs to start shuffling the deck. Sad to say but the old guard might have too many miles on them. Those great lads who served us well over the years owe us no more. We need to start blooding a few new players in 2021 or simply we can forget about challenging. We might get away with starting half of the old guard in the backs....we won't get away with starting all of them.

2020 was always going to be a tough championship. Old legs on soft ground. Our tactics were a little questionable given the conditions. We tried to run the ball a bit too much and lads who could hurl in a phone box on hard ground, struggled.

But fair play to the Tribesmen and best of luck to them.

As was said Tipp tactics were questionable and also playing unfit players. Very unlike two very much vaunted men in Sheedy and O'Shea.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭1373

Thought Bonner’s goal showed all the best quality of the man , rattled by the keeper, stayed on his feet and put his hand where most wouldn’t put their Hurley to win the ball

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Jizique

Grats wrote: »
    As was said Tipp tactics were questionable and also playing unfit players. Very unlike two very much vaunted men in Sheedy and O'Shea.

Who was unfit? Paidi injured? Anyone else?

How pathetic from Liam Sheedy to blame the loss because of a Munster ref. There were clearly issues within his own control that he ought to address first.

• Advertisement

Jizique wrote: »
    Who was unfit? Paidi injured? Anyone else?

Playing unfit players is one thing, playing injured players is a no no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭giveitholly

How pathetic from Liam Sheedy to blame the loss because of a Munster ref. There were clearly issues within his own control that he ought to address first.

Yeah must of spent too long listening to the kilkenny crowd still whining about Richie Hogan getting sent off in the all-ireland last year

Yeah must of spent too long listening to the kilkenny crowd still whining about Richie Hogan getting sent off in the all-ireland last year

And ye had a problem with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭giveitholly

And ye had a problem with it.

Not a bit,cheers me up to be honest

Not a bit,cheers me up to be honest

Ditto. Enjoy another year of it so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

So, the football tomorrow.... is it written in the stars? How random is it that the Munster Final (with Tipp in it) is happening in November, of all months, 100 years on? The lads will be wearing those jerseys. It would be some night in The Glen (if it were open!) should they pull it off.

My heart can envisage absolute scenes from the Tipp players at the final whistle, but the head says a 3-5 point victory for Cork. My god it would be special though, if they could do it. It would be great for football in the county, but for them to lift Munster for the first time in 85 years? That would be much bigger than reaching the AI semi's in 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

fyfe79 wrote: »
    So, the football tomorrow.... is it written in the stars? How random is it that the Munster Final (with Tipp in it) is happening in November, of all months, 100 years on? The lads will be wearing those jerseys. It would be some night in The Glen (if it were open!) should they pull it off.

My heart can envisage absolute scenes from the Tipp players at the final whistle, but the head says a 3-5 point victory for Cork. My god it would be special though, if they could do it. Much like 2016 when the hurlers went out early and the footballers reached the AI semi's, it would be great for football in the county, but for them to lift Munster for the first time in 85 years? That would be much bigger.

Hurlers won the All Ireland in 2016.

Looking forward to this one. I really hope Tipp put in a good performance at the very least. If they can start well and keep the game close for the first half and into the second who knows what could happen coming down the stretch.

Cork have had a far more impressive league than Tipp and their win over Kerry will fill them with confidence and Tipp's performance v Limerick won't be anywhere near good enough so although i'd love the romantic story of Tipp winning on this momentous occassion, on all known recent form i think Cork will have a bit too much and run out comfortable winners in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Rasputin11 wrote: »
    Hurlers won the All Ireland in 2016.

Spoilsport :pac: Yeah, getting my years mixed up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

Tipp hurlers continue to fail in winning back to back All Irelands.

Can you explain the point of this statement?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement