Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Tipperary GAA (Club and Intercounty) Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Well done today, performance of the year so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,119 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

ProudDUB wrote: »
    That's brilliant. I love the commentators seriously plummy accent. Nearly as posh as Ger Canning ! :rolleyes:

yeah ..... " A wonnnnnnnnnderfullll scooore by bbonnnnnerrr mmmmaherrrr , heee reealy knows where the goal is ..."

for a 1935 video i was actually waiting for someone to say something like " slow down paddy " or " oh those irish what will they think of next " in a deep thespian English accent given how stingey rte were about there coverage at the time :rolleyes:

yeah ..... " A wonnnnnnnnnderfullll scooore by bbonnnnnerrr mmmmaherrrr , heee reealy knows where the goal is ..."

for a 1935 video i was actually waiting for someone to say something like " slow down paddy " or " oh those irish what will they think of next " in a deep thespian English accent given how stingey rte were about there coverage at the time :rolleyes:

Reminds me of the savage eye sketches :)

Speak of Ger Canning, 'Bobbles', Peter 'Doggan',

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

Up the Stonethrowers. Well done.
    Sorry for Clare though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

In 1935, RTE were but a mere twinkle in the eye of Eamon de Valera.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭shauna17

Was a brilliant win for Tipp today

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I'd prefer playing Mayo over Tyrone. I thought Tyrone totally schooled us in the second half of that last 12 qualifier last year.

They'll set up in a way that will stifle that great Tipp forward line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

goose2005 wrote: »
    Was at the game today, great stuff.

This was Tipp's last semi - back in 1935!

1:57 of that video some lad on the Tipp sideline goes arse above face while celebrating:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Barry Kelly appointed for the hurling semi....

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

I'd prefer playing Mayo over Tyrone. I thought Tyrone totally schooled us in the second half of that last 12 qualifier last year.

They'll set up in a way that will stifle that great Tipp forward line.

I think most would. When Westmeath decided just to go at them in the second half on Saturday and ran through them, they were the better side. And I'd fancy Tipp any day to beat Westmeath. It'd likely be the better game for neutrals too.

Still would have no fears of Tyrone, though. Galway set up defensively yesterday and look how far that got them? Sure Tyrone are masters at it, but we have last years experience in the bank at least as well as the under-21 final, so it's not like we'll be going in cold. Maybe a step too far for these lads but no way will it be another 12 point kicking. I'm certain of that much anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

ProudDUB wrote: »
    In 1935, RTE were but a mere twinkle in the eye of Eamon de Valera.

Raidio Éireann were broadcasting games since 1926
    Thats great footage.

The kicking style of players is something you would see from a bad junior b player these days just throw the ball up real loosely and swing your foot rather aimlessly at the ball.Fair few dodgy hand passes I thought as well.Although I still think the day players stopped playing in flat caps the GAA died a little.

By the way I'm not having a pop at players from 80 years ago as obviously technique in all sports gets better over time just making an observation.

The ball acts like a balloon, or one of those "Cup Champions" plastic footballs

I had a nice dream last night where our footballers went to Croke Park and absolutely slaughtered the Connacht champions to make the all Ireland semi final. It felt so lucid and real though :p

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Savage performance from yer lads yesterday,a real breath of fresh air

Played positive football which is very rare these days,no fear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

I wonder what Eddie Moroneys reaction was to yesterdays match.

I'd say it was a heavy night in the Glen last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭20silkcut

He was interviewed by Marty morrisey on six one last night. His false teeth nearly fell out.

"Oh jases I feel see-ickk! " :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

Yesterday was unreal....after all the days when we struggled to even get scores it was amazing to be cheering on a Tipp senior football team winning in Croke Park....you wouldn't have even seen that coming last May in Dungarvan, let alone last Summer when we got knocked out of the qualifiers !!!! It was worth all the bad days just to be present

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Deise2016

Lads for anyone looking to head up on Sunday for Waterford v KK I have 3 spare tickets that I will sell at a much reduced price to get them off my hands.

Bought them for family that can no longer attend.

Tickets are in the Cusack Stand Section 302 and are far enough back to be covered for anyone fearing a repeat of the Munster Final weather.

PM if interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

solerina wrote: »
    Yesterday was unreal....after all the days when we struggled to even get scores it was amazing to be cheering on a Tipp senior football team winning in Croke Park....you wouldn't have even seen that coming last May in Dungarvan, let alone last Summer when we got knocked out of the qualifiers !!!! It was worth all the bad days just to be present

Not to mention all those one-game championship campaigns every year before the back door system came in....

"Please... give us Waterford, Clare or Limerick...."

"Kerry/Cork will play Tipperary"

:(

• Advertisement

fyfe79 wrote: »
    Not to mention all those one-game championship campaigns every year before the back door system came in....

"Please... give us Waterford, Clare or Limerick...."

"Kerry/Cork will play Tipperary"

:(

Remember 2002 and Damien O'Brien's chance the dying seconds? Or stanchion-gate in 1999?

For many years I wondered if the Tommy Murphy cup win was going to be the pinnacle of Tipp football but then came the back to back promotions, the u21 munster win in 2010, the 2011 Munster Minor semi final win vs Kerry in the stadium, the all ireland minor win of that year, the retaining of Munster in 2012 as well as running Kerry very close at Senior and going on a terrific qualifier run.

We've been banging on that door for a long long time now and fair to say the hinges are very very loose.

Special mention must also go to the u16b ladies footballers who won the all ireland during the week making it a huge week for football in the county

I come across quite a bit of tripe on pv from time to time but i must say this post from big john just deserves a wider audience. It is absolutely golden.
    "THE RATTLER says whatever those footballers have can we bottle it?"

That was a text sent by Mickey Byrne's son to a man not unknown to me after the Cavan game.

To attempt to bottle what these Tipperary footballers have would keep 5 good men in honest employment for a year.

The first sign that things were different yesterday was when I boarded the 9:18am Templemore to Heuston train and couldn't get a seat. I normally can't fill the seats of the car for a Tipp football game and here we were with a full train.

It was my first time on a train in 17 years having previously commuted to Dublin every day for 9 years after an unfortunate incident with a chip pan, a drop of water and some curtains meant we had to move out of our flat in Dublin. (Who would have thought you don't put water on a fire in a chip pan, certainly not 20 year old Bigjohn).

American author Mark Twain said that the secret of getting ahead is getting started.

Galway got started and got ahead. After 10 minutes the score read Galway 0:04 Brian Fox 0:01.

Michael "Benny" Keating, former Ardfinnan, Templemore and Tipperary footballer, used to tell us that you couldn't win the game in the first 10 minutes.

Not for the first time in my life, I discovered Benny was a wiser man than Mark Twain.

Having let the oil simmer for 17 mins, Robbie Kiely poured water on the Tipperary chip pan and suddenly we were on fire. A run straight at the heart of the Galway defence set up MQ14 for goal No 1.

For the next 20 minutes we are enjoying more possession than any lion could handle and by the half hour mark the Galway defence is more a huggie than a blanket. They are gone so deep now that two or three of them require a divers bell.

If THE RATTLER had a mobile I would have texted him the following message "Not only should we bottle it, we should patent it".

The train arrived in Heuston just after 10:30. If Irish Rail didn't insist on charging you half the average industrial wage for a ticket, nobody would travel by car.

I head for breakfast. A full Irish. The breakfast of Champions. I'm joined at the table by Galway supporters Mattie Matthews and his son Mattie Jnr. I inform them that I'd gladly let them win the hurling for a victory today. A deal is about to be struck when a Sars man informs Mattie that the village idiot is not allowed negotiate on behalf of Tipperary.

As the game approaches Jaffa cake time and the Galway supporters are heading to get the best positions in the loo, The Bear Comer finds the net to give the scoreline a flattering look from Galways point of view.

The phone buzzes in my pocket. A Donegal man has sent on the stats. 22 scoring chances to Galways 9. Were we going to regret some of those missed chances?

Chinese philosopher Sun Tzu, advised in his book The Art of War said "If you know both yourself and your enemy, you can win a hundred battles". I'm not sure if Tipperary analyst Tommy Toomey is a student of the Chinese man, but he is around long enough to know our lads and certainly had the home work done on the enemy. With Tommy doing analysis this Tipp team will win 100 more battles.

The 2nd half starts, Galway get the first score. A 2 point game and I think back to the 22 chances. Feck it we are going to regret them after all!! I needn't have worried. When the chips are down, this Tipperary Football team have no shortage of men carrying salt and vinegar.

Tin Cup O'Halloran points from a free before Ballyporeen's finest strokes home Tipp's second goal, Luis Suarez style. MQ14 and Tin Cup add a couple of beauties to put us 7 up.

My knowledge of Opera is purely based on The Godfather 111 but I'd doubt if any opera was directed better than the way Evan Commerford directed the drama yesterday with his kick-outs. He must have had a near 100% success rate.

My man of the match, Jimmy Feehan, launches another missile which has the Galway full back line and keeper reaching for the sky to surrender before Sweeney applies the finishing touch.

The phone buzzes again. An enquiry from the Temple Bar in Templemore wanting to know can they jump on the Bandwagon? There's loads of room was the reply.

Kieran Holland was an old man when I got to know him. He was on the 1935 team that reached the All Ireland semi final only to be denied a final appearance by a last minute Cavan goal. He lived at the top of our road and as a child I remember himself and the father talking about great Tipperary Footballers. I wish I had listened more carefully now and had some stories to tell you but as Oscar Wilde said "youth is wasted on the young".

We enter The Third Act and Robbie Kiely gets the score of the year. We can relax. We may not score again in the third act but 3:13 and 3:10 of that total from play in the first 2 acts ensured that in this well scripted play, the hero is going to emerge victorious.

The scenes at the final whistle will live long in the memory. I have never spent a more enjoyable 15 minutes in the Hogan Stand than I did after the final whistle had gone. The Tipperary Football supporters are a small group but I'd doubt if there's a more passionate group out there.

Liam Kearns and his management team deserve great credit. Not only for yesterday but for not walking earlier in the year when everything was going against them. They could have taken the easy option. I certainly would have. They are getting their just rewards now. Their team has scored 9:49 from play in just 5 games. Take a well deserved bow.

Not for the first time in his life, THE RATTLER is correct. Whatever it is these lads have should be bottled

He had another one after the Derry game last week which was equally as good. Honestly folks, give these a read they are quite simply brilliant
    The Greek poet, Cavafy, said: "In those streets and fields where you grew up, there you will live and there you will die."

How right he was and how blessed are we to have grown up in the streets and fields of Tipperary.

As I headed back to the car, I couldn't describe the feelings I had. It hadn't yet sank in. I stuttered the engine into life, put the iPhone play list onto shuffle and as I leave Cavan, David Gilmore is telling me he is Comfortably Numb. That's it David. That's it. That's exactly how I feel.

I start to think about what had just happened. Ernest Hemingway used to say that enthusiasm wasn't enough -- it had to be when backed up with knowledge and skill. The Tipperary Football Team today were an example of that happy fusion. Their enthusiasm was boundless, their skill overflowed and they made you fall in love with football all over again.

I hit Edgeworths town and Bruce is telling me he was Born to Run. Sorry Bruce but I think you meant Bill Maher. What a shift he put in. From the first minute to the last he never stopped taking the game to Cavan. He might have had a goal in the first half if Duffy's Circus hadn't wrongly penalised Peter Acheson for a throw ball.

We are flying. I look at the clock. 12 mins gone and MQ14 fires over a beaut to put us 5 points to 1 up. The Derry crowd behind us are stunned. Not as stunned as when we asked them before the game if one of the Derry players (better not mention the name) had got the girlfriends mother pregnant but stunned none the less. Back on the field of play MQ14 is showing the world of Sky TV what a talent he is.

As I approach Granard, Bob Dyaln is wondering "How does it feel!". Fecking brilliant Bob, thanks for asking. What other way could you be watching Tin Cup O'Halloran popping frees over from 55 yards. He has a boot on him that would kick the salt out of holy water.

I think back to Derry's first goal. The mood changes. Possession lost from a kick out and we are caught hole open. Then two minutes later, Philip Austin is rolling back the years and is brought down for looks like a certain penalty but unbelievably Duffy's Circus gives us a free out near the 45m line. Marty is double jobbing as ring master and head clown today.

We go in at half time a point down and as I approach Ballymahon Neil Young is reminding me of Four Strong Winds. We had played the first half with the only wind out there in our backs. I'm worried but still hopeful.

The Walls of Jericho fell after Joshua had ran around it several times. Our own Joshua, Son of Keane, ran around Breffni Park several times and knocked the walls of Derry with an inspired 2nd half performance that saw him kick 2 points and get through an endless amount of work. He lines out next Wednesday night for the U21 hurlers and again next Saturday in Croke Park. He won't forget the last week of July 2016 in a hurry.

Matt Busby famously said to a young keeper "I know you're good but are you lucky?" The Derry Keeper from that erotically named club An Lub, would have answered no. He slipped making a run of the mill clearance and gave the ball straight to Tin Cup O'Halloran. Never one to panic, Tin Cup took a couple of puffs on a Hamlet cigar before slotting it to the net.

I hit Athlone. Billy Joel is claiming "we didn't start the fire". He is wrong. We're setting the place ablaze as we hit the last 10 mins. MQ14 throws another sod on the fire with a free before the Derry Fire Brigades arrive and pour water on my dreams. A couple of points and a goal puts them back in the lead.

Emily Dickenson never felt a funeral in her brain like I did when that ball hit the net.

Conor Sweeney eases the pain somewhat with a point that showed how little research Derry had done on us. He gets onto a ball in front of his man and the Derry defender moves to cover Sweeney's right foot. Ronald Reagan was the last man from Ballyporeen to move to the right. Sweeney wasn't going to follow, turned on to his left leg and swung it over. Draw game.

I hit Birr with Nick Cave and Shane MacGowan telling me "What a Worderful World" it is. The people of Rosscarbery in Cork would agree. They got a gem when Robbie Kiely moved there. Another outstanding performance from the former Tipp town native.

The heart is racing now. Sweeney has it again. The angle is tight for a left footer but nothing ventured nothing gained. He has a go. It sails over. We are in front.

I'm now on first name terms with Duffy's Circus. "Blow it up Marty". He doesn't listen. I revert to type. "Blow it up Duffy you bollix".

I arrive in Templemore. Leonard Cohen is claiming "Everybody Knows". They might not have been aware of Tipp Football before today Leonard, but everybody certainly knows about them now.

Brendan Rogers, has a last throw of the dice for Derry. It's a centre backs effort. It goes wide. Duffy's Circus blows full time. We are in the All Ireland Football Quarter Final and I'm pulled up outside the house.

We are both where we belong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Remember 2002 and Damien O'Brien's chance the dying seconds? Or stanchion-gate in 1999?

For many years I wondered if the Tommy Murphy cup win was going to be the pinnacle of Tipp football but then came the back to back promotions, the u21 munster win in 2010, the 2011 Munster Minor semi final win vs Kerry in the stadium, the all ireland minor win of that year, the retaining of Munster in 2012 as well as running Kerry very close at Senior and going on a terrific qualifier run.

We've been banging on that door for a long long time now and fair to say the hinges are very very loose.

Special mention must also go to the u16b ladies footballers who won the all ireland during the week making it a huge week for football in the county

My big memory of 2002 is Cork's goal, which was an error by Philly. I think that was the only time I ever saw him make a mistake in his entire career. What a keeper he was and what a lousy time to drop one. That and Damien O'Brien's point at the end when through on goal, like you said. Levelled the game but I think everyone knew that the chance of a Munster title was gone. Cork wouldn't be caught cold again in the replay.

Was delighted for Declan Browne lifting the TM Cup. Went to school with him and saw first hand just how good he was on the pitch, totally unmarkable. Great hurler too, played in the county Intermediate side and was lethal up front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Don't ruin it and go all Mayo4Sam will ye not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Nice interview with quinlivan on newstalk this evening. Even the presenter remarked how refreshingly honest he was.

Lads, any update on the hurling at all? I trust no injuries or bad news to report. Anyway I hope people get behind them over the next couple of weeks. We're not just a football county now you know!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Lads, any update on the hurling at all? I trust no injuries or bad news to report. Anyway I hope people get behind them over the next couple of weeks. We're not just a football county now you know!

Hurl? Ing?

Mick Ryan will be absolutely over the moon with Sundays result. It takes the attention completely off the hurlers and allows them to prepare nice and quietly in the shadows without any fuss. Havent heard anything from the camp which to be honest isnt a bad thing either and the footballers on the other hand will enjoy the bit of attention having been in the shadows for so long now.

The training is closed to the public btw

Other than the North quarters the other day there hasn't been any club games as far as i know. Borrisokane v Burgess was postponed due to the 13 day rule (Austin and Donagh Maher are involved on the football and hurling panels respectively)
    Mullinahone v Killenaule in South final and Drom v Loughmore in the mid with dates TBC

The West has a few remaining fixtures in the group stage left. Clonoulty and Kickhams have played each other already so there is 2 remaining, Annacarthy v Kickhams and Clonoulty v Annacarthy.

Relegation situation is a bit unclear at the moment in terms of when these games will be played.

• Advertisement

digzy wrote: »
    Nice interview with quinlivan on newstalk this evening. Even the presenter remarked how refreshingly honest he was.

Quinlivan is one of the deadliest forwards in the game and yet comes across as such a humble well rounded young man. Plays with unbelievable maturity. I remember the qualifier game against Antrim back in 2012 and Acheson wanted a quick free taken as it had opened up at the other end to get a sealing score. Quinlivan told the livid Acheson and his other teammates to calm down, 'We have this lads, just slow it down as there is just seconds left'. :D I was astonished at the level of maturity shown.

Mick Ryan will be absolutely over the moon with Sundays result. It takes the attention completely off the hurlers and allows them to prepare nice and quietly in the shadows without any fuss. Havent heard anything from the camp which to be honest isnt a bad thing either and the footballers on the other hand will enjoy the bit of attention having been in the shadows for so long now.

The training is closed to the public btw

Other than the North quarters the other day there hasn't been any club games as far as i know. Borrisokane v Burgess was postponed due to the 13 day rule (Austin and Donagh Maher are involved on the football and hurling panels respectively)
    Mullinahone v Killenaule in South final and Drom v Loughmore in the mid with dates TBC

The West has a few remaining fixtures in the group stage left. Clonoulty and Kickhams have played each other already so there is 2 remaining, Annacarthy v Kickhams and Clonoulty v Annacarthy.

Relegation situation is a bit unclear at the moment in terms of when these games will be played.

Yeah no news is probably good news! I don't know if the footballers winning really makes any material difference to the hurlers, but does at least take the focus off for a bit and Ryan will welcome that for sure. Still have this giddy feeling from Sunday but am certain it's going to change to anxiety any day now!

Quinlivan is one of the deadliest forwards in the game and yet comes across as such a humble well rounded young man. Plays with unbelievable maturity. I remember the qualifier game against Antrim back in 2012 and Acheson wanted a quick free taken as it had opened up at the other end to get a sealing score. Quinlivan told the livid Acheson and his other teammates to calm down, 'We have this lads, just slow it down as there is just seconds left'. :D I was astonished at the level of maturity shown.

He's a great bit of stuff. Thought he was a worthy MofM on Sunday though a few people I talked to didn't agree. Those under age teams were full of natural leaders which is why I think that Tipp team will be there for the long haul despite the drip feed away for various reasons we don't need to go into.

Yeah no news is probably good news! I don't know if the footballers winning really makes any material difference to the hurlers, but does at least take the focus off for a bit and Ryan will welcome that for sure. Still have this giddy feeling from Sunday but am certain it's going to change to anxiety any day now!

In terms of the footballers, this season is a resounding success so i personally think they shouldn't put any extra pressure on themselves. Yes play to win by all means, but win lose or draw now, so much progress has been made this summer and as a result, more players could be swayed to join the panel next year and give that extra push. We are not at All ireland winning level yet but we are capable of really going down all guns blazing in our remaining games. Id give us a good chance if we met Mayo because they have an open style similar to ourselves. Not so much against Tyrone though.

The hurlers on the other hand have the talent and the firepower but have underachieved. Its a new regime now but tbh im optimistic as we are working harder and turning over more ball. I think we'll have enough for Galway on the 14th. If we do its more than likely a 50/50 game against the Cats on the first Sunday 4th of September, exactly 5 years to the day we capitulated against Kilkenny in the 2011 final.

In terms of the footballers, this season is a resounding success so i personally think they shouldn't put any extra pressure on themselves. Yes play to win by all means, but win lose or draw now, so much progress has been made this summer and as a result, more players could be swayed to join the panel next year and give that extra push. We are not at All ireland winning level yet but we are capable of really going down all guns blazing in our remaining games. Id give us a good chance if we met Mayo because they have an open style similar to ourselves. Not so much against Tyrone though.

The hurlers on the other hand have the talent and the firepower but have underachieved. Its a new regime now but tbh im optimistic as we are working harder and turning over more ball. I think we'll have enough for Galway on the 14th. If we do its more than likely a 50/50 game against the Cats on the first Sunday 4th of September, exactly 5 years to the day we capitulated against Kilkenny in the 2011 final.

My anxiety is all for the hurlers. The footballers are in purely bonus territory now, even a bit of a beating (which I'm veryy hopeful won't happen) wouldn't take the edge off their incredible achievements. I was confident last year against Galway and it bit me, so I'm not falling into that trap again. I like the way we're shaping up, just get ball into that inside 3 and I can't see us being stopped, but games with Galway always seem to come down to a puck of the ball, so the nerves are going to be frayed between now and Sunday week, they are now just thinking about it!

I doubt many will agree with me or that Ryan will go for it, but I think I'd like to see an unchanged side picked, with Bubbles on the bench. Madness maybe but I think there's method in it, like Cody springing Richie Hogan at half time in the Leinster final. Ryan loves Bubbles, though, so am sure he'll start him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

As I pointed out to a Cork friend I was consoling/taking the mick out of early, Tipp are seeded into a Munster semi-final next year with Kerry on the other side.

If the draw goes favourably it could easily be a case of beating Clare (I can't see Limerick or Waterford being in the reckoning) for a place in the Munster final with a crack off either Kerry or Cork for the title with entry to the qualifiers as a provincial loser guaranteed plus seeding as a Munster semi-finalist for 2018 again.

Should really be pointing out this to any of the lads who Tipp are looking to get back on board as for a team looking to progress this is a great setup. Only problem is those Clare lads might have the bit between their teeth as well.

• Advertisement

He's a great bit of stuff. Thought he was a worthy MofM on Sunday though a few people I talked to didn't agree. Those under age teams were full of natural leaders which is why I think that Tipp team will be there for the long haul despite the drip feed away for various reasons we don't need to go into.

Very very hard to nominate candidates for motm from that Tipp team Sunday let alone pick a motm. It was technical perfection from 1-15. On the basis that Josh Keane has played 3 games in 8 days and was excellent for the footballers id probably go with him

My anxiety is all for the hurlers. The footballers are in purely bonus territory now, even a bit of a beating (which I'm veryy hopeful won't happen) wouldn't take the edge off their incredible achievements. I was confident last year against Galway and it bit me, so I'm not falling into that trap again. I like the way we're shaping up, just get ball into that inside 3 and I can't see us being stopped, but games with Galway always seem to come down to a puck of the ball, so the nerves are going to be frayed between now and Sunday week, they are now just thinking about it!

I doubt many will agree with me or that Ryan will go for it, but I think I'd like to see an unchanged side picked, with Bubbles on the bench. Madness maybe but I think there's method in it, like Cody springing Richie Hogan at half time in the Leinster final. Ryan loves Bubbles, though, so am sure he'll start him.

No anxiety for me. If we are good enough we'll come through and if not then we're just not up to it. Galway have individiually brilliant players and probably could have beaten us handsomely had it not been for Seamies haul on the day. I think though that caution will be thrown to the wind this year and Mick is not one to be too cavalier whereas Eamon was better with the attacking side of things than the defensive side.

Id be reluctant to drop Niall o'meara because he was outstanding against Waterford. The blocks he got in was amazing. Dan McCormack has justified his place with his workrate. If those lads dont go right then Bubbles is some option to have on the bench.

This is the panel from 1935 btw. A predominantly south based panel barring 2 players. One from Nenagh and the other from Templemore. Plenty from my own parish which had a very strong football tradition until the small ball took over from the 90s on.

http://www.tippgaaarchives.com/?page_id=14&search=panel&year=1935&team=Senior%20Football

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭dragonfly!

Would anyone know where I would get decent seats for the match on the 14th?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

dragonfly! wrote: »
    Would anyone know where I would get decent seats for the match on the 14th?

Not too many bad seats in fairness, I bought tickets on the day last year and they were grand, check tickets.ie if you want to choose your seat although they only sell the worst seats so be careful.

Anyone planning on stand tickets for the two semi finals can get tickets for €60 each

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Remember 2002 and Damien O'Brien's chance the dying seconds?
    fyfe79 wrote: »
    That and Damien O'Brien's point at the end when through on goal, like you said.

It was Niall Kelly who scored that point :D

Super win on Sunday from our lads, totally destroyed them and the winning margin could easily have been double. Ian Dowling has them in serious condition and there is obviously a very strong bond among the panel. I think certainly the most pleasing thing about it though is the style of football, it is just so refreshing to see and even more so from a so called lesser light, hopefully it will inspire other counties to adopt a similar approach, just look at Westmeath at the weekend as well, when they abandoned the negative approach they were far more impressive ( it was a similar story last year v Meath)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 halfback1

Liam Kearns has done an incredible job with this team it must be said. Peter Creedon had every player at his disposal but couldn't get past the last 12. He has to deal with the loss of serious players. They did well to stay up in d3 considering being down more than ten players from the previous setup. His tactics were bang on the money the last day,the match ups were spot on and the galway midfield were targeted. Talking to a few Rossies they were disappointed that they didn't hold onto him. He and the whole management team deserve serious credit for what they have done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,073 ✭✭✭Xenophile

halfback1 wrote: »
    Liam Kearns has done an incredible job with this team it must be said. Peter Creedon had every player at his disposal but couldn't get past the last 12. He has to deal with the loss of serious players. They did well to stay up in d3 considering being down more than ten players from the previous setup. His tactics were bang on the money the last day,the match ups were spot on and the galway midfield were targeted. Talking to a few Rossies they were disappointed that they didn't hold onto him. He and the whole management team deserve serious credit for what they have done.

Your first post well done !

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

danganabu wrote: »
    It was Niall Kelly who scored that point :D

Super win on Sunday from our lads, totally destroyed them and the winning margin could easily have been double. Ian Dowling has them in serious condition and there is obviously a very strong bond among the panel. I think certainly the most pleasing thing about it though is the style of football, it is just so refreshing to see and even more so from a so called lesser light, hopefully it will inspire other counties to adopt a similar approach, just look at Westmeath at the weekend as well, when they abandoned the negative approach they were far more impressive ( it was a similar story last year v Meath)

God bless your memory. Niall is Frannys son i assume?

Admittedly I was critical of Kearns and the management earlier this year but that's based on one game I attended in Clonmel against Kildare in the league. The team were just awful that day. Couldn't kick snow off a rope, heavy legged, sloppy and didn't seem bothered. That said Kildare werent much better but romped home. Kearns didnt blink an eyelid and reminded me of Decky Ryan on the day. Very much resigned. For me at the time league progress was more important as we would improve greatly playing better opponents. I suppose the fact Clare got promoted too was frustrating. While Clare are doing very very well and are on the rise, i did feel that we are a better side then Clare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

God bless your memory. Niall is Frannys son i assume?

No, Niall is a Kiladangan man, that's why I remember :D No football pedigree at all but was on the Tipp senior team for a good number of years, lives in America now! Played big ball with him myslef but I hadn't the time to commit to the county obviously :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3 halfback1

Admittedly I was critical of Kearns and the management earlier this year but that's based on one game I attended in Clonmel against Kildare in the league. The team were just awful that day. Couldn't kick snow off a rope, heavy legged, sloppy and didn't seem bothered. That said Kildare werent much better but romped home. Kearns didnt blink an eyelid and reminded me of Decky Ryan on the day. Very much resigned. For me at the time league progress was more important as we would improve greatly playing better opponents. I suppose the fact Clare got promoted too was frustrating. While Clare are doing very very well and are on the rise, i did feel that we are a better side then Clare.

I would agree with you that we are better than Clare and the league was frustrating but Clare were in the fortunate position of having very few injuries during the league if any whereas we were plagued. I was at the game in Tipp town when we beat them, they were at full strength and we didn't have the clonmel lads and we still beat them. You need to be able to go up another gear for the championship from the league, look at Roscommon, trained like dogs for the league and were flat for the championship which isnt eorth a damn. Id much rather be in Tipps position in the last 4 than flying in the league like Clare and Roscommon. Championship is where it's at. Bit harsh judging them on that one Kildare game, we hadn't our championship midfield and that's where we were destroyed that day. We also missed 3 21 yard frees in the 1st half which really knocked the stuffing out of us. Kevin O Halloran, Bill Maher and George were missing that day and they are key players for us now. Gary Sice was in the paper today crediting Tipp for having their homework done on them, fair play to the backroom team and the players for executing the game plan to a tee.

I would agree with you that we are better than Clare and the league was frustrating but Clare were in the fortunate position of having very few injuries during the league if any whereas we were plagued. I was at the game in Tipp town when we beat them, they were at full strength and we didn't have the clonmel lads and we still beat them. You need to be able to go up another gear for the championship from the league, look at Roscommon, trained like dogs for the league and were flat for the championship which isnt eorth a damn. Id much rather be in Tipps position in the last 4 than flying in the league like Clare and Roscommon. Championship is where it's at. Bit harsh judging them on that one Kildare game, we hadn't our championship midfield and that's where we were destroyed that day. We also missed 3 21 yard frees in the 1st half which really knocked the stuffing out of us. Kevin O Halloran, Bill Maher and George were missing that day and they are key players for us now. Gary Sice was in the paper today crediting Tipp for having their homework done on them, fair play to the backroom team and the players for executing the game plan to a tee.

Your spot on in your post..just on Roscommon though, while I agree with you that they've gassed themselves out, I still maintain that division 1 is a crucial milestone in terms of becoming accustomed to top level opposition. So long as you survive in the division it's as good as winning it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,073 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Just a few facts as and of 06/08/16

Tipperary are clear favourites to win the Senior Double in a one horse race, the odds are realistiic.

Tipperary Hurlers are second favourites to win Liam McCarthy.

Tipperary Footballers are fourth favourites to win Sam Maguire.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,119 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Xenophile wrote: »
    Just a few facts as and of 06/08/16

Tipperary are clear favourites to win the Senior Double in a one horse race, the odds are realistiic.

Tipperary Hurlers are second favourites to win Liam McCarthy.

Tipperary Footballers are fourth favourites to win Sam Maguire.

9/2 to beat mayo is an incredible price , and even if tipp dont win they have the handicap set at FIVE points .......only conclusion is paddy power was away last weekend and missed the football

i expect a kilkenny v tipp final , dont think ye will win the football but see no reason why ye wont make the final

the hurling is too close to call as i say i expect ye to get to the final ye are over due an all ireland now at this stage though

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement