Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Tipperary GAA (Club and Intercounty) Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭formerlyET

Coybig_ wrote: »
    Our turnout has been atrocious at high profile championship football games when going well. A lot of Tipp people don't care enough about it. Starting from an All Ireland Semi Final in 2016, to 2 years after in the Championship. We also got a league promotion in 2017 that did sweet f all for our support.
    • Mayo semi final in 2016 was very badly attended by us.
    • Cork in Munster in 2017 in Pairc Ui Rinn had a shocking turnout considering what we had done the year before and our league win.
    • Armagh probably had just lower or near equal support to us when we played them in 2017 in Thurles, when we were off the back of a very impressive away win in Cavan.
    • Cork in 2018 was deserted.
    • Mayo 2018, a huge game in Thurles, had a woeful turnout from us.

3 of those games were in Semple and people weren't arsed.

My uncle is a hardcore Tipp GAA man, would go to most hurling matches but hasn't been to a game of football in 20 years I'd say. The appetite just isn't there. We would need years of success before people bother to show support and that just isn't likely. As a player, why would you bother turning out in front of 5,000-10,000 max when you could be regularly turning out in front of 80,000

Good post.

Even the hurlers are badly supported at the best of times, even when well attended, the vocal support is not there.

In the semi against Wexofrd recently, it must have been 3 to 1 Wexford.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭KIB4Life

formerlyET wrote: »
    Good post.

Even the hurlers are badly supported at the best of times, even when well attended, the vocal support is not there.

I know the same in Clare, we have a pretty strange fan base in Football and Hurling. Some examples I think of are in 2013 we were well out numbered by Limerick in the semi final, must have been close to 10,000 or 15,000 more Limerick people. Also in the finals that year looked like Cork outnumbered us. Same in 2017 Munster Final Cork outnumbered us by a good margin people had the game. 2018 it was different had a lot more support alright compared to the year before.

In football terms there is a bigger base for football and a bigger passion for football in Clare, then probably what there is in Tipp, particularly in West and North Clare were there are very few Hurling clubs and mainly football only clubs in this part of the county. Some examples in football terms of the strange fan base was in 2016 we had big crowds against Sligo away and Roscommon in Salthill, we probably outnumbered Roscommon that day in terms of support, then in 2018 we played Roscommon in the league in Ennis and we were definitely outnumbered by Roscommon.

Same in the qualifiers in 2019 away to Leitrim and Westmeath we had very good crowds on both days and might have even outnumbered Westmeath. Then in the 4th round against Meath we definitely outnumbered them in Portlaoise, but a couple of months previously we played them in the league in Ennis I was at the game and I barely counted 50 Clare people near me, so a lot of fans in Clare would seem to be fair weather or band wagon supporters which you will get everywhere but we seem to have a fair deal more then other counties.

Me myself would try to go to as many football games as possible and would go to all other home games and some away games, but I would know people right back the heart of West Clare that would be about an hours drive to Ennis where we play our home game, which is really some commitment from them and they would also go to a lot of away games and is even a bigger commitment for them to make so really it’s about cherishing the genuine and die hard fans, any fans that come along the way in a Championship run are not likely to be their in the first round of a league in the freezing cold when you can barely even feel your hands and feet such is the coldness.

Even from my clubs perspective we would probably be one of the best supported clubs in the county and you would have to go along way to find more vocal supporters in the country, but a lot of people from my own club that would attend regularly club matches wouldn’t go to county matches a much at all really, so it shows as well that sometimes there isn’t the appetite there for people to attend county matches or support the county.

Anyway I suppose it’s hard to know do fans and supporters actually make a difference I think a lot of time players would just block off the crowd noise and hardly even realise there is a crowd there once the game starts.

KIB4Life wrote: »
    Anyway I suppose it’s hard to know do fans and supporters actually make a difference I think a lot of time players would just block off the crowd noise and hardly even realise there is a crowd there once the game starts.

This is a good point. But I think sometimes a game and a crowd can take on a life of it's own. I do think the very small crowd in the lower Cusack made a huge difference in the Wexford semi last year - I know a few players ran over, particularly Padraic Maher and acknowledged that section. We went buck in that game.
    I think some players need the crowd and others don't. Perhaps, that changes throughout a career at different stages. I think some players are blossoming, not playing in front of a crowd this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,755 ✭✭✭giveitholly

This is a good point. But I think sometimes a game and a crowd can take on a life of it's own. I do think the very small crowd in the lower Cusack made a huge difference in the Wexford semi last year - I know a few players ran over, particularly Padraic Maher and acknowledged that section. We went buck in that game.
    I think some players need the crowd and others don't. Perhaps, that changes throughout a career at different stages. I think some players are blossoming, not playing in front of a crowd this year.

Wasn't that section where the season ticket holders were seated?

Wasn't that section where the season ticket holders were seated?

That's it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭conor05

Good post.

In all the years I am going to hurling matches, I've never seen support like Wexford.

Even back in the 90s when Kilkenny would come out in top the support up from Wexford was savage.

I am convinced had they beaten us in 2019 semi-finals they would have taken all 82,000 tickets for the final if allowed.

They are not the best hurling team in Ireland, but themselves and Cork have great support for hurling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭Coybig_

Money down on us, €40 at 4/1. Might go back in for more tomorrow morning depending on how optimistic I am.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Money down on us, €40 at 4/1. Might go back in for more tomorrow morning depending on how optimistic I am.

Don’t!

conor05 wrote: »
    In all the years I am going to hurling matches, I've never seen support like Wexford.

Even back in the 90s when Kilkenny would come out in top the support up from Wexford was savage.

I am convinced had they beaten us in 2019 semi-finals they would have taken all 82,000 tickets for the final if allowed.

They are not the best hurling team in Ireland, but themselves and Cork have great support for hurling.

Yeah, sensational support from Wexford fans - very vocal.

Offaly - despite small numbers are great supporters. But I haven't attended a game against Offaly in some time.

Clare in the 90s had some support.

If Mayo hold Sweeney and Quinvilian, can Tipp get the scores from elsewhere?

• Advertisement

If Mayo hold Sweeney and Quinvilian, can Tipp get the scores from elsewhere?

In 2016, Mayo done a great job on both, but it still left room for the likes of Austin and Acheson to drive at them. We scored 14 against Mayo that time, but only conceded 2 goals with 14 men and one of which was a lucky deflection. Tomorrow we have O'Riordan, President and his brother the goal hero of 2011, Colman Kennedy. We also have Stevie O'Brien who came back playing football in 18, Fox, Kiely, Bill and the mercurial Kevin Fahey who was absolutely outstanding the last day out. My MOTM. He gave every single drop to the cause. Great options all around. it's a bloody pity we didn't have Liam McGrath with them but we have a well-rounded side none the less. Here is hoping they can do the job tomorrow.

Worth noting also that the S & Q duo had more joy against the Mayo backs in 2018.

The sad thing about this, whoever wins is in for an absolute filleting against the Dubs. I dont blame the Dubs wholly for their dominance. Many bigger footballing counties such as Kildare, Meath, Cork, Galway..... really should be doing better. At least Mayo, Kerry and Donegal were giving them a game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

President?

President?

Jack Kennedy :D

ive heard him being referred to as this a few times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,175 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Wasn't it John Kennedy who was president in the USA?

Anyway best of luck to the lads today, whatever happens they've have a great year, done us and the men of bloody Sunday proud.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

In 2016, Mayo done a great job on both, but it still left room for the likes of Austin and Acheson to drive at them. We scored 14 against Mayo that time, but only conceded 2 goals with 14 men and one of which was a lucky deflection. Tomorrow we have O'Riordan, President and his brother the goal hero of 2011, Colman Kennedy. We also have Stevie O'Brien who came back playing football in 18, Fox, Kiely, Bill and the mercurial Kevin Fahey who was absolutely outstanding the last day out. My MOTM. He gave every single drop to the cause. Great options all around. it's a bloody pity we didn't have Liam McGrath with them but we have a well-rounded side none the less. Here is hoping they can do the job tomorrow.

Worth noting also that the S & Q duo had more joy against the Mayo backs in 2018.

The sad thing about this, whoever wins is in for an absolute filleting against the Dubs. I dont blame the Dubs wholly for their dominance. Many bigger footballing counties such as Kildare, Meath, Cork, Galway..... really should be doing better. At least Mayo, Kerry and Donegal were giving them a game

Don't forget the cahir man, who has scored in every championship game this year.

Liam McGrath has been a huge loss for Loughmore and the tipp footballers.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Wasn't it John Kennedy who was president in the USA?

Anyway best of luck to the lads today, whatever happens they've have a great year, done us and the men of bloody Sunday proud.

Who was referred to as Jack

Speak of our Jack. Hes actually meant to be out today. Failed a fitness test

Don't forget the cahir man, who has scored in every championship game this year.

Liam casey was outstanding the last day. Another huge option we didn't have in 16

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Walter Alright

Who was referred to as Jack

Speak of our Jack. Hes actually meant to be out today. Failed a fitness test

Heard that too, failed it Friday evening

Will Tipp need a few goals today?

• Advertisement

Well lads an interesting game ahead. Will miss the banter with ye in the stands.

May the better team win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24 Ryertex

Mayo_fan wrote: »
    Well lads an interesting game ahead. Will miss the banter with ye in the stands.

May the better team win.

Says the one who thinks Mayo will have the game won by half time and be using the second half to experiment.

Ryertex wrote: »
    Says the one who thinks Mayo will have the game won by half time and be using the second half to experiment.

He wasn't wrong!!

Disappointing stuff from Tipp.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,904 ✭✭✭✭klose

Well that's embarrassing stuff, deer caught in the headlights stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Beating ourselves. Very disappointing

A tactical disaster from Power. I'm ashamed of this, an absolute embarrassment.

If you cant make it far enough up the pitch to kick the ball inside, then there is no point having loads of fellas waiting inside.

This was abundantly clear when Mayo had gone 5 clear and it should have been changed then but we let it persist. We either kicked the ball or tried to work it through outnumbered situations and unsurprisingly lost it. An absolute joke.

Been following Tipperary football a very long time and never been so ashamed of a performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,206 ✭✭✭fyfe79

It's, eh, not gone well.

He wasn't wrong!!

Disappointing stuff from Tipp.

Indeed, Tipperary doing their best to prove him right.🙄

Ryertex wrote: »

How are things now sir?

• Advertisement

Turned it off.

Power set the team up for failure and we inevitably failed. Heads quickly dropped as Tipperary were swarmed by Mayo in defense and midfield due to lack of numbers in those positions.

From there it has led to the most embarrassing and humiliating showing from Tipperary footballers in my lifetime.

A serious learning curve for management, the manner of the defeat has really soured what we achieved this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

If you cant make it far enough up the pitch to kick the ball inside, then there is no point having loads of fellas waiting inside.

This was abundantly clear when Mayo had gone 5 clear and it should have been changed then but we let it persist. We either kicked the ball or tried to work it through outnumbered situations and unsurprisingly lost it. An absolute joke.

Been following Tipperary football a very long time and never been so ashamed of a performance.
    Its been poor but its a division 1 side against a division 3 side. Tactically but never so ashamed? Thats unfair
    How are things now sir?
    Thats just petty

Brought a small bit of respectability to it on the last 15 minutes at least.

I really wish that we had been much smarter in the first half rather than handing the game over.

How are things now sir?

Me make comment. Me make sir comment. Me funny.

How are things now sir?

Well based on what I’d seen in previous games I felt your comment was a bit premature. I certainly didn’t see today panning out like that, but fair play, you’re a more astute student of the game than I am. Scoreline was an accurate reflection of what happened today. Now for God’s sake will ye please win a final.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Weird games lads. If some of them early chances ye had went in then different game.
    Will not be the end of tipp football.
    Nice touch after the Match

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

How are things now sir?

Grow up ffs. Gloating is a sick trait.

yop wrote: »

Typical Mayo in fairness.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

It isnt at all.

Shame to lose in that fashion but nobody should be taking it away from this years great step forward.

It isnt at all.

Shame to lose in that fashion but nobody should be taking it away from this years great step forward.

It's not. It's one lad who's on a forum. He's not even from mayo, he's been figured out on the mayo thread.

So ignore him.

• Advertisement

Won't even try analyse that but I thought it was a very good second half from the lads, kept going kept fighting when it would have been easy to hang the heads. On another day they have had 5 or 6 goals.

Let's just enjoy being munster champions and gear up again for next year.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Speakerboxx

Won't even try analyse that but I thought it was a very good second half from the lads, kept going kept fighting when it would have been easy to hang the heads. On another day they have had 5 or 6 goals.

Let's just enjoy being munster champions and gear up again for next year.

I don't think Kerry will be beaten in Munster next year. You won't be seen again for a while I reckon. Poor performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

yop wrote: »

Don't worry they'll be put in their place again! when the Dubs get a hold of them lol. No matter how many GPS trackers they throw at them. Mayo are serial bottlers, always the bridesmaid never the bride.

I don't think Kerry will be beaten in Munster next year. You won't be seen again for a while I reckon. Poor performance.

Thanks mystic Meg.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Very very poor first-half showing. Boys against men in many respects, but they never gave up. its an experience. Not a good one, but a learning curve none the less. Best of luck Mayo in the final.

On a positive note today, we created 8 goal chances, scoring 3 of them so we had a real go. Its really all about experience in big games. Mayo have been in finals in 13, 16 & 17 and played in huge games over the years. They'll be concerned about their defence being opened up but will hope that Cillian OConnor can hit the high notes even half as much as he did today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭Bricriu

The commemoration for the murdered on Bloody Sunday after the game was very apt from the Tipp team.
    Why couldn't RTÉ silence the studio commentators for 5 minutes while it went on?
    Ugly, disrespectful behaviour from our 'national broadcaster'. Nothing new!
    Spillane himself should have had the self-awareness to have taken the initiative and shut his big mouth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,985 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Very very poor first-half showing. Boys against men in many respects, but they never gave up. its an experience. Not a good one, but a learning curve none the less. Best of luck Mayo in the final.

On a positive note today, we created 8 goal chances, scoring 3 of them so we had a real go. Its really all about experience in big games. Mayo have been in finals in 13, 16 & 17 and played in huge games over the years. They'll be concerned about their defence being opened up but will hope that Cillian OConnor can hit the high notes even half as much as he did today.

I could be wrong here but I think it was 10 goal chances.
    1/3 in the first half and 2/7 in the 2nd.

Goals from Fox, Paudie Feehan and Sweeney.
    Quinlivin and Sweeney saved from in the first half.
    O'Brien and Quinlivin hit wides late in the game, there was the one that hit O'Hora in the face, and I'm struggling to remember the other two but I think it was a wide from either Kiely or Maher and a shot saved by Clarke...... although I'd have to watch it back (and I'd rather not).

That's not even counting the goal opportunity took away by Keegan's drag down.
    That was the main positive from today, that and the fact we kept fighting late into the game.

Overall today was a big disappointment, but hopefully a positive learning experience for our younger players and exposure to playing against guys of that level and physical capability.

Don't worry they'll be put in their place again! when the Dubs get a hold of them lol. No matter how many GPS trackers they throw at them. Mayo are serial bottlers, always the bridesmaid never the bride.

You're his equal then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 503 ✭✭✭johnb25

Two gilt-edged goal chances early on from this tactic. Mostly just two inside v two defenders.

johnb25 wrote: »
    Two gilt-edged goal chances early on from this tactic. Mostly just two inside v two defenders.

Sure but we didn't get the ball inside properly again after that. Spent the whole remainder of the half running into traffic in defence and midfield. When we kicked it long from our kickouts, our height didn't matter, more often than not the ball ended up breaking and they won through numbers.

We never had enough players back to defend, players were not quick enough in getting back, because they were positioned too high up the pitch in the first place. Or the ball was getting turned over in the congested midfield area and numerous players had run past the ball to join into an attack which never happened.

When we went 5 points down it was time to reassess, in the 2nd half we changed it up massively and that should have happened in the first half while the game was within reach. We were bleeding scores, and we just needed to be a bit cuter for a while until we got a foothold again in the game. Instead Power just watched it happen. The heads obviously dropped and some of the errors were bad beyond belief. If we put in that first half performance vs Limerick, Clare, Cork or any opponent we faced in Division 3 we would have been comfortably beaten.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement