Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Tipperary GAA (Club and Intercounty) Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Disgraceful to see so many club games off last night with the senior footballers deciding not to play for their clubs 15 days before their next game. I'd imagine if the hurlers did the same there's several on here who'd have plenty to say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Disgraceful to see so many club games off last night with the senior footballers deciding not to play for their clubs 15 days before their next game. I'd imagine if the hurlers did the same there's several on here who'd have plenty to say.

What happened the 13 day rule or is it increased before an All Ireland s/f or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

What happened the 13 day rule or is it increased before an All Ireland s/f or something?

Footballers refused to play leaving clubs with little alternative. 13 day rule still applies.

Footballers refused to play leaving clubs with little alternative. 13 day rule still applies.

It doesn't seem right but not sure either I'd condemn the players involved, it's possible they were just acting to instructions. The failure is a central one, if the co boards/Croke Park don't get to grips with the club/county conflict, this cr@p is going to surface repeatedly year after year after year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Tipp footballers have won a lot of admirers over the last few weeks, myself included, but this was a terrible terrible decision, and the boards involved should have held their grounds and insist the fixtures go ahead. What kind of precedent does this set? Games called off 15 days before a game in another code, you couldn't make it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭robbiezero

danganabu wrote: »
    Tipp footballers have won a lot of admirers over the last few weeks, myself included, but this was a terrible terrible decision, and the boards involved should have held their grounds and insist the fixtures go ahead. What kind of precedent does this set? Games called off 15 days before a game in another code, you couldn't make it up.

Did the boards involved not hold their grounds?
    The West board at the moment at least has named the semi-finalists and the teams that conceded a walkover at the weekend are out.
    Not sure what the other boards did.

robbiezero wrote: »
    Did the boards involved not hold their grounds?
    The West board at the moment at least has named the semi-finalists and the teams that conceded a walkover at the weekend are out.
    Not sure what the other boards did.

Oh, I just assumed when I saw no results that they had caved and postponed the games, I hope you are right as it would have been a terrible precedent to set.

Feel sorry for the clubs affected of course, I have no idea if it was a collective decision from the players alone or if they were influenced by management, but someone has made a pretty big fcuk up here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

I went to watch Ballinahinch and Roscrea in the North Intermediate yesterday, the first score of the second half came after 20 minutes. I'd say that is surely some kind of a record, Ballinahinch won by 9 points.

Rasputin11 wrote: »
    I went to watch Ballinahinch and Roscrea in the North Intermediate yesterday

Did you lose a bet? :D

• Advertisement

Oh, I just assumed when I saw no results that they had caved and postponed the games, I hope you are right as it would have been a terrible precedent to set.

Feel sorry for the clubs affected of course, I have no idea if it was a collective decision from the players alone or if they were influenced by management, but someone has made a pretty big fcuk up here.

I've no idea either to be honest. But if it's the management a part of me can see where it's coming from. They're in All Ireland s/f, desperate to give a good account if not win, actually no, definitely to win, and they have the thinnest squad by far, decent from 1-15 but, if we're honest, not so much after that. Just one injury, or one niggley little knock, even a guy unable to train for a week, would be a blow to them.

Not saying that excuses it. Far from it. There are rules in place and should be adhered to with proper penalties issued. Otherwise it's just all a mockery.

I've no idea either to be honest. But if it's the management a part of me can see where it's coming from. They're in All Ireland s/f, desperate to give a good account if not win, actually no, definitely to win, and they have the thinnest squad by far, decent from 1-15 but, if we're honest, not so much after that. Just one injury, or one niggley little knock, even a guy unable to train for a week, would be a blow to them.

Not saying that excuses it. Far from it. There are rules in place and should be adhered to with proper penalties issued. Otherwise it's just all a mockery.

I mean the very fact that our perspective opponents, Mayo as it happens thank god, were actually playing their AI QF at the same time shows how completely unnecessary and OTT it was.

There were hurlers involved in club action last weekend, I can only imagine the backlash if Mick Ryan had instructed his players not to line out for the clubs, he would, and rightly so have been vilified.

Did you lose a bet? :D

I did question my sanity a couple of times during that long scoreless second half!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,073 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Go to the Tipperary GAA website and scroll down to the very end until you see this

Click to purchase Tipperary Semi Final Package 2016

This package was available this morning.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

I mean the very fact that our perspective opponents, Mayo as it happens thank god, were actually playing their AI QF at the same time shows how completely unnecessary and OTT it was.

There were hurlers involved in club action last weekend, I can only imagine the backlash if Mick Ryan had instructed his players not to line out for the clubs, he would, and rightly so have been vilified.

I'd say they were well aware of the strife it was going to cause when the decision was taken. Obviously they deemed it worth the risk of whatever fallout would ensue, rightly or wrongly.

I'd say they were well aware of the strife it was going to cause when the decision was taken. Obviously they deemed it worth the risk of whatever fallout would ensue, rightly or wrongly.

I don't know how anyone can defend it, they have well and truly fcuked their clubs and team mates over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,175 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Footballers haven't been in a semi final for over 80 years, if they thought not playing the weekend would give them a better preparation for the semi final then I'd back them on that.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Footballers haven't been in a semi final for over 80 years, if they thought not playing the weekend would give them a better preparation for the semi final then I'd back them on that.

County before Club? 15 days before a match in a different code, that's absurd.

There are two clubs who are now out of the county championship without having played their game, that's roughly 60 players who have been training for months all for nothing. This will have serious consequences without doubt.

County before Club? 15 days before a match in a different code, that's absurd.

There are two clubs who are now out of the county championship without having played their game, that's roughly 60 players who have been training for months all for nothing. This will have serious consequences without doubt.

I'm not defending it. Just saying if I was in the shoes of management or players, whoever's decision it was, I wonder how I'd be looking at it. Tipp dont have the depth of talent or huge squad available to other teams, they might never be in a s/f again etc. Probably think they deserve to be cut a break for all the joy they've brought this summer, but maybe they'd be far too assuming for thinking that.

Anyway, I agree it's not a good situation. What serious consequences do you think will arise?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,025 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

From what I've seen online (West division) the clubs appear to have supported the players in question. There were 4 clubs thrown out of the West intermediate hurling championship.

I support their decision anyway. Tipp football hasn't had a day like this in 80 years and our squad is very thin, an injury to a starting member would ruin our chances.

Anyway, I agree it's not a good situation. What serious consequences do you think will arise?

I know of one club who has told their county player not to bother coming back!

Let's just say next years county convention is going to be very interesting.

One thing I will add and I had this confirmed last night by someone closely involved, Liam Kearns encouraged the players to take this stance, if Liam Kearns strongly believed that the players would benefit from missing these games then he should have had the courage of his convictions and went directly to the county board and looked for a free weekend rather that placing these players, who as has rightly been pointed out have been nothing short of heroic, in a horrible horrible situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,175 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Tyson Fury wrote: »

Bennet is entirely correct that its the players who haven been put in a horrible position - one that will IMO actually have a negative affect on the footballers, thus achieving the exact opposite of what Kearns wanted.

But he is way off on the comparison to the hurlers, there was plenty of hurlers involved in club hurling two weekends ago, the same gap between club games and AI semi as was been fixed for here. Brendan Maher, Michael Breen and Stephen O'Brien all lined out in the North Championship, no idea about the other divisions.

Delighted that the West Board have taken this stance and hopefully they have lit the fuse that will see these annual fcuk ups resolved.

Bennet is entirely correct that its the players who haven been put in a horrible position - one that will IMO actually have a negative affect on the footballers, thus achieving the exact opposite of what Kearns wanted.

But he is way off on the comparison to the hurlers, there was plenty of hurlers involved in club hurling two weekends ago, the same gap between club games and AI semi as was been fixed for here. Brendan Maher, Michael Breen and Stephen O'Brien all lined out in the North Championship, no idea about the other divisions.

Delighted that the West Board have taken this stance and hopefully they have lit the fuse that will see these annual fcuk ups resolved.

To be honest I doubt it will affect the footballers, they seem to be a fairly focussed, driven lot. I think most will understand their decision and cut them some slack for it. I mean Josh Keane, for example, how many games has he played this summer between senior/u-21/club? The idea he'd risk the greatest day of his life for an intermediate hurling match....I dunno, common sense has to prevail too.

Bottom line, though, don't think i'd argue with west board's decision. Clubs should fulfill fixtures even if it's the thin edge of the wedge without co players. Not fair but there's no equitable solution anyway, somebody has to lose out one way or the other.

Clubs should never have to play championship games without their county players unless the player himself makes that choice and they really should not be put in that position.

I think the one thing we can all agree on is that there are no winners here and it;s an awful pity that this is grabbing the headlines in what promises to be one of the proudest couple of weeks in the counties history.

Clubs should never have to play championship games without their county players unless the player himself makes that choice and they really should not be put in that position.

Was it not the players themselves who made the decision in this instance though? That seems to be the gist of the available reports anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

I wonder will Niall O'Meara start ahead of Bubbles this Sunday?

Given Shane McGrath's slip on the Jones's Road podcast, that Callinan loves playing alongside O'Meara (he didn't elaborate but I'd say it's because of O'Meara's work rate and runs), it'll be interesting to see who starts...

I wonder will Niall O'Meara start ahead of Bubbles this Sunday?

Given Shane McGrath's slip on the Jones's Road podcast, that Callinan loves playing alongside O'Meara (he didn't elaborate but I'd say it's because of O'Meara's work rate and runs), it'll be interesting to see who starts...

Without knowing what has been happening in training etc if Bubbles is to start based on the Munster Final it should be Noel McGrath who looses out.

Tommy Dunne on Newstalk saying last night that he expects Bubbles to start on the bench but he added he had no inside info.

That's interesting - be a brave move to take out Noel McGrath - might be the best move though...

• Advertisement

Most takes seem to believe it is either O'Meara of bubbles - interesting if it was McGrath...

Tipp Team v Galway: Gleeson Barrett Barry Cahill Kennedy R Maher P Maher B Maher Breen McCormack P Maher N McGrath J McGrath Callanan OMeara

Galway (SHC v Tipperary): Colm Callanan; Johnny Coen, John Hanbury, Padraic Mannion; Gearóid McInerney, Daithí Burke, Aidan Harte; David Burke, Adrian Tuohy; Conor Cooney, Joseph Cooney, Joe Canning; Conor Whelan, Cathal Mannion, Jason Flynn.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,073 ✭✭✭Xenophile

As listed on a previous post, the Tipp team that lined out against Waterford. The same team is listed to face Galway.

Xenophile wrote: »
    Gleeson

Barrett Barry Cahill

Kennedy R Maher P Maher

B Maher Breen

McCormack P Maher N McGrath

J McGrath Callanan OMeara

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

It'll be interesting to see where they position Canning - will they put him on Canning. If I was teh Galway manager I would try the two biggest and tallest players on Barrett and Cahill and play them close to goal...the Cooneys or one Coomey and Canning on Cahill- they might get some joy out of high ball that way ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Ompala

Delighted to get the win there, we were poor for a lot of that game and both Galway goals came from Tipp mistakes. Forwards were beaten for large portions of the game with high ball hit in.

In the end Tipps decision making seemed a little bit better than Galways, but our shooting was poor towards the end. Very nearly threw this one away! Huge improvement needed for the final but the main thing is we are there and won a tight game without playing well - that should stand to us.

Handy win for our minors in the end, shooting was fairly poor throughout the first half but pulled away easily after hafltime. 7 goals is ridiculous, very very poor Galway team or just a freak result?

Roll on the 4th for the hurling :D

Who'd be your six forwards the next day?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭kala85

Any idea on what the original attendance was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

kala85 wrote: »
    Any idea on what the original attendance was.

54k + change, was what they put up on the screen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Who'd be your six forwards the next day?

McCormack Bonner Noel McGrath
    Bubbles Callanan John McGrath

O'Meara is a bit unlucky but himself and Forde are two good forwards to bring on.

• Advertisement

I think Noelie's position might be under pressure for the next day... - if he plays lkike that against KK he'll be eaten alive...

I think Noelie's position might be under pressure for the next day... - if he plays lkike that against KK he'll be eaten alive...

He scored three points from play and very unlucky not to get a goal hitting a crossbar. He would be a good bit ahead of McCormack and O'Meara for me.

Same forward line with Bubbles coming in for O'Meara for me. Was a mistake not starting him today, but we got away with it.

Yeah, but they're work rate far outweighs his...

Thought Niall O'Meara was poor today, work-rate or not. Lucky to last the 45 minutes he was left on. McCormack did ok, no more than that. In general the Galway backs were on top, so I'd go with the scoring forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

You can 'work rate ' all ya like, there's not too many lads could score that goal bubbles scored today

Thought Niall O'Meara was poor today, work-rate or not. Lucky to last the 45 minutes he was left on. McCormack did ok, no more than that. In general the Galway backs were on top, so I'd go with the scoring forward.

I completely agree with this post. Really sums it up.

• Advertisement

Great to be in an All ireland final lads but by god do we need to improve. Today would not beat Kilkenny. We got fortunate that we got the breaks and beat the clock but if we make those silly errors against the Cats they will punish us.

Not sure if the 5 wk is a factor, it may have been with Kilkenny also.

Once word on Padraic Maher......magic.

The difference today. What a committed warrior he has become under Ryan. Talk about putting body on the line. An example to the rest.

btw, i bought one of the double tickets. Can anyone in same boat confirm if they had any issue at the stile today? mine wouldnt scan and the lady at the stile told me they were experiencing problems. So much for technology replacing humans.

I thought Dan McCormack was fantastic - hooked, harried, hassled, and won frees - as did O'Meara. Noelie is not that player -has come up short against KK numerous times. We lost this fixture and similar fixtures against Limerick due to forward workrate - and noelie got plenty of nice points. As did Bubbles. Dan MCCormack and o'meara bring a work rate that brings team together,

Tipp won a tight battle today - Dan had a big part of that. O'Meara wasn't at his best. I;d start Bubbles - but i'd start o'meara and dan ahead of noelie - with noelie to come on

Just given KK have dominated our half forward line in that past - regardless of today's performances. We need workrate the next day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Ompala

Great to be in an All ireland final lads but by god do we need to improve. Today would not beat Kilkenny. We got fortunate that we got the breaks and beat the clock but if we make those silly errors against the Cats they will punish us.

Not sure if the 5 wk is a factor, it may have been with Kilkenny also.

Once word on Padraic Maher......magic.

The difference today. What a committed warrior he has become under Ryan. Talk about putting body on the line. An example to the rest.

btw, i bought one of the double tickets. Can anyone in same boat confirm if they had any issue at the stile today? mine wouldnt scan and the lady at the stile told me they were experiencing problems. So much for technology replacing humans.

No question improvement is needed, we did some very silly things today and 2 of them led directly to Galway's goals. Its does seem the 5 week layoff is factor, today and Tipp in 2009 and 2011 are the only times the munster winner has won their semi final. For the first time ever KK looked sluggish first day out against Waterford too.

I thought Dan McCormack was fantastic - hooked, harried, hassled, and won frees - as did O'Meara. Noelie is not that player -has come up short against KK numerous times. We lost this fixture and similar fixtures against Limerick due to forward workrate - and noelie got plenty of nice points. As did Bubbles. Dan MCCormack and o'meara bring a work rate that brings team together,

Tipp won a tight battle today - Dan had a big part of that. O'Meara wasn't at his best. I;d start Bubbles - but i'd start o'meara and dan ahead of noelie - with noelie to come on

Just given KK have dominated our half forward line in that past - regardless of today's performances. We need workrate the next day

Ill agree with you re Dan. he made a point for Mikey Breen at one stage with his tackling. Niall flattered to deceive though and his mis-control in our half conceded a goal.

what a shoulder by Maher on Canning! and the hook!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement