Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Tipperary GAA (Club and Intercounty) Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Very disappointed with the decision to postpone the football due to the pitch after seeing how good the pitch was today. It could easily have been moved to another venue and its just congesting the fixtures for our footballers towards the business end of the league.

They're in a great position for promotion at the moment and having games on top of each other for the last few weeks of the league isn't going to help.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 68 ✭✭I am the Res

Very disappointed with the decision to postpone the football due to the pitch after seeing how good the pitch was today. It could easily have been moved to another venue and its just congesting the fixtures for our footballers towards the business end of the league.

They're in a great position for promotion at the moment and having games on top of each other for the last few weeks of the league isn't going to help.

Nenagh was approached about hosting it ! I wouldn`t be in favour of it being moved as Management and Players want home games played in Thurles , having it outside of there on a Field they are not used to they may as well cede home advantage !

Wins against Longford and a demoralised Offaly would set us up nicely with Armagh and Louth to play each other next . I wouldn`t be worried about the games coming together as they would be playing friendlies on their weekends off anyway .

Good win today. John McGrath is an absolute wizard. Some of his touches were a joy to behold. Rough on Seamus Kennedy who got motm the last day but Ryans decisiveness on the line is terrific. i expect Seamus being the excellent competitor he is will come storming back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

Ewan McKenna went in hard on the County Board about it on Twitter.

http://www.donegalsporthub.com/audio-12/

Tipp man flying the flag in Donegal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭klose

Has there been an official response as to why the football was called off? They had people out poking the pitch with pitchforks for all of half time( I'm sure there's an actual term for that :p) , subs couldn't even puck a few balls out there so I assume there reasoning was the pitch couldn't handle 2 games?

I also assume the football will be free entry next week as my ticket I purchased today said tipp v Longford and tipp v Clare but my ticket was kept at the turnstiles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭Paddico

Paddico wrote: »
    Any mention of the u-21s, any chalenge matches or anything??
    Playing Limerick next Wed AFAIK

Tipp Panel , 4 Senior regulars ! Decent Squad . Nair a North man bar Connors :( !

Tipperary under-21 football panel: Michael Barlow (Ardfinnan), Ciarán Barrett (Clonmel Óg), Jamie Bergin (Drom & Inch), Dáire Brennan (Kilsheelan-Kilcash), Aidan Buckley (St Patrick’s), Jack Butler (Upperchurch-Drombane), Conor Cashman (Cahir), Michael Connors (Drom & Inch), Willie Connors (Kiladangan), Dáire Egan (Galtee Rovers), Liam Fahey (Rockwell Rovers), Paudie Feehan (Killenaule), Morgan Irwin (Moyle Rovers), Stephen Kelly (Clonmel Commercials), Jack Kennedy (Clonmel Commercials), Colm Kinnane (Drom & Inch), John Lyons (Grangemockler-Ballyneale), Charlie Manton (Fethard), Brendan Martin (Kilsheelan-Kilcash), Brian McKenna (Cahir), Emmet Moloney (Drom & Inch), Jordan Moloney (JK Bracken’s), Michael O’Connor (Cahir), Colm O’Shaughnessy (Ardfinnan), Danny Owens (Moyle Rovers), Ross Peters (Clonmel Commercials), Shane Power (Galtee Rovers), Stephen Quirke (Moyle Rovers), Joe Ryan (Killmurry, Cork), Liam Ryan (Clonmel Commercials), Jack Skehan (Holycross-Ballycahill) & Gavin Whelan (Ardfinnan).
    ... and only 3 from the west where football is the bigger sport for a lot of clubs.

Nice to see Colm O’Shaughnessy in there. Doesnt seem like he's getting his game with the seniors at the moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

Nonsense from Shefflin and Daly...

I think Dublin have won 4 out of the last 6 ALL-IREs - Our squad is nowhere near that...

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2017/0305/857435-shefflin-daly-tipperary/

I think Dublin have won 4 out of the last 6 ALL-IREs - Our squad is nowhere near that...

I doubt the 2 boys even believe it themselves, there seems to be a lot of non Tipp people talking up our panel. Some of the new lads have went well so far but players prove themselves in All Ireland SF's and Finals, not in the League on heavy ground.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Rasputin11 wrote: »
    I doubt the 2 boys even believe it themselves, there seems to be a lot of non Tipp people talking up our panel. Some of the new lads have went well so far but players prove themselves in All Ireland SF's and Finals, not in the League on heavy ground.

I think its fair comment from the lads, Just think that yesterday we were missing 8 players who have won AI medals and all won All stars, that is serious depth to the panel. What other county has anywhere near that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

When we can afford to drop 2 former players of the year for an All Ireland final, as well as another former All Star, then we will be approaching Dublin levels of strength in depth. Tipp are in a good place right now but we'd be well served ignoring a few headline grabbing soundbites on a tv programme.

Brendan Maher got a fair hit on the right shoulder, he done the AC joint in the Munster Final last year, think it was possibly the same side.

Paddico wrote: »
    ... and only 3 from the west where football is the bigger sport for a lot of clubs.

Nice to see Colm O’Shaughnessy in there. Doesnt seem like he's getting his game with the seniors at the moment

Think Colm is injured was he not? He probably suffered from a lack of experience vs Mayo last year but looks a good prospect.

When we can afford to drop 2 former players of the year for an All Ireland final, as well as another former All Star, then we will be approaching Dublin levels of strength in depth. Tipp are in a good place right now but we'd be well served ignoring a few headline grabbing soundbites on a tv programme.

Well said Joe and id imagine Mick Ryan wouldnt have it any other way. He is incredibly driven. There was talk of a few of the lads being invited on to the late late show the week after but Mick poured cold water on it immediately and rightly so. With the benefit of hindsight, that craic done us no favours the last time.

Did anyone else cringe when Ger Cunningham said "learnings" on League Sunday last night? More nonsense terminology imported from D4.

• Advertisement

Well, if it's on the national show that deals with the game it can't be ignored. It must be dismissed for the nonsense it is...

How many times have we seen players perform in the league only to fall asunder in the championship heat.

Brendan Maher got injured recently? Irreplaceable. What if it's long term?

I think if the likes of Padraic Maher or one or two other central characters got injured...we'd soon see the strength of the panel...

We look well - a few younger and inexperienced lads are benefitting from the confidence of the squad after winning an All-Ireland.

A long long way to go yet...

We are nowhere near Dublin or Kilkenny levels yet. That's just a fact.

I wonder will Cody persist with experimenting come next weekend?

Leo Cullen's 'learnings' makes it's way into the mouth of THE GER... SAD!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Rasputin11 wrote:
    Did anyone else cringe when Ger Cunningham said "learnings" on League Sunday last night? More nonsense terminology imported from D4.

What's with the petty comments about other sports???
    What Cunningham said was correct. What else should he have said??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Rasputin11 wrote:

What's with the petty comments about other sports???
    What Cunningham said was correct. What else should he have said??

The GAA (and most other sports tbf) pre and post match interview has become such a sanitised affair now (understandable) that im shocked that there is such demand for these soundbytes. They can be incredibly boring and full of bluff. There is normally a couple of 'look Marty' and 'listen Marty' thrown in for good measure.

I did get a chuckle at Marty interviewing Kevin McStay while the hailstones were pelting down on him yesterday though. :D

• Advertisement

I did get a chuckle at Marty interviewing Kevin McStay while the hailstones were pelting down on him yesterday though. :D

It reminded me of poor aul King Lear losing his mind out in the storm

It reminded me of poor aul King Lear losing his mind out in the storm

But which of them was playing the role of The Fool ;)

We are nowhere near Dublin or Kilkenny levels yet. That's just a fact.

I wonder will Cody persist with experimenting come next weekend?

Wouldn't say its a fact, very debatable.

Don't think Cody has much alternative really, the tried and tested simply aren't good enough, they still have the core of a very good team but the last few are no where near what we have become accustomed to. If anything was to happen Richie Hogan or TJ Reid you would seriously worry for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

danganabu wrote: »

Don't think Cody has much alternative really, the tried and tested simply aren't good enough, they still have the core of a very good team but the last few are no where near what we have become accustomed to. If anything was to happen Richie Hogan or TJ Reid you would seriously worry for them.

I won't be worrying for kilkenny anytime soon.

Don't fall into the trap of underestimating them. It's not so long ago there were winning a minor all Ireland and St Kierans College are going for 4 in a row in the all Ireland colleges. So much for the conveyor belt drying up!!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Well said Joe and id imagine Mick Ryan wouldnt have it any other way. He is incredibly driven. There was talk of a few of the lads being invited on to the late late show the week after but Mick poured cold water on it immediately and rightly so. With the benefit of hindsight, that craic done us no favours the last time.

In Mick we trust! I found the 2010 LLS thing a bit cringey, though I can't say I am against players trying to use their enhanced profile to boost their professional careers. Not sure even in hindsight how much damage it did, but it was probably a symptom of a wider, unhelpful mindset I think. That said, we weren't that far off in 2011, so who knows? Sauntering through Munster without so much as a bruise that summer definitely didn't help I believe.

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    I won't be worrying for kilkenny anytime soon.

Don't fall into the trap of underestimating them. It's not so long ago there were winning a minor all Ireland and St Kierans College are going for 4 in a row in the all Ireland colleges. So much for the conveyor belt drying!!

What's the most that you are going to get off one minor team to be fair?

St Kierans is a bit of a red herring to be fair, the entire hurling catchment in KK attend one of two schools which is a massive advantage compared to others where they are spread out between 5 and 6 schools.

I'm not for one minute suggesting that they are finished or that they will disappear over the horizon, but anyone that doesn't recognise the marked decline in KK is fooling themselves.

With respect, I think you're missing the point. The comparison isn't with the current Kilkenny squad, but with the ones they had built up, over several years, at the height of their dominance, just as Dublin have been doing the past 5 years.

In fact, the comparison isn't in any way valid because with Dublin and Kilkenny you're talking about years of consistent achievement whereas with Tipp its just one solitary achievement with a lot of exciting but, as yet, unrealised potential. Almost 2 different things entirely.

I would be inclined to agree that KK look a bit short this year, though goes without saying they will remain a force to be reckoned with. There was a time they could take Richie Hogan off in All Ireland finals and replace him with.....Henry Shefflin!!

In Mick we trust! I found the 2010 LLS thing a bit cringey, though I can't say I am against players trying to use their enhanced profile to boost their professional careers. Not sure even in hindsight how much damage it did, but it was probably a symptom of a wider, unhelpful mindset I think. That said, we weren't that far off in 2011, so who knows? Sauntering through Munster without so much as a bruise that summer definitely didn't help I believe.

Munster didnt tell us a whole lot about ourselves that year because Waterford were between two stools, Clare and Limerick were still young, Cork have been mediocre with almost a decade now,

We almost fell asunder in the heat of battle against Dublin and were nowhere near their aggression level but luckily had the element of class to see it out and the Cats should have absolutely battered us in that final. Four points didnt tell the whole story. Had Sheedy and co stayed on for 2011 though i think things would have been managed a hell of alot different and the energy levels would have remained.

The marked decline...the marked decline...

Losing an all-ireland final - when you are going for three in a row!!!

Lads, what planet are you on?????!!!!

Do you know how many medals and experience that Kilkenny panel has?

The only problem KK have is being sick of winning!

We are nowhere - nowhere near - that level of achievement and depth of experience that Dublin and KK. We just don't have that panel yet.

KK lost an All-Ire final last year and are having a bad league - so far.... - that's it. Tipp are all-ire champs and have a real chance again this year... - long ways - over the next 5 to 6 six years - before they can be compared with KK and Dublin. It's so far away it shouldn't be talked about.

But when Shefflin and Daly try to pile on the pressure and favorite tag, it should be dismissed for the nonsense that it is.

With respect, I think you're missing the point. The comparison isn't with the current Kilkenny squad, but with the ones they had built up, over several years, at the height of their dominance, just as Dublin have been doing the past 5 years.

In fact, the comparison isn't in any way valid because with Dublin and Kilkenny you're talking about years of consistent achievement whereas with Tipp its just one solitary achievement with a lot of exciting but, as yet, unrealised potential. Almost 2 different things entirely.

I would be inclined to agree that KK look a bit short this year, though goes without saying they will remain a force to be reckoned with. There was a time they could take Richie Hogan off in All Ireland finals and replace him with.....Henry Shefflin!!

There was two very different conversations going on there, I realise we are talking about the KK panel from 2007- 2011.

With regards to the comparison, no one has dared suggest that their achievements are in any way comparable, that would be silly, the point that both Daly and Shefflin made was that Mick Ryan has built a squad the depth of which has not been seen outside those two and personally I agree with them, now the big challenge is to deliver on that talent. Outside of inside forward line it would take a very brave man to predict any line of our first 15 come championship time, which as AI champions is a very unique position to be in.

There are currently 41 players in the Tipp training panel and there will be some serious talent cut when the final championship squad is named.

• Advertisement

We are nowhere - nowhere near - that level of achievement and depth of experience that Dublin and KK. We just don't have that panel yet.

KK lost an All-Ire final last year and are having a bad league - so far.... - that's it. Tipp are all-ire champs and have a real chance again this year... - long ways - over the next 5 to 6 six years - before they can be compared with KK and Dublin. It's so far away it shouldn't be talked about.

But when Shefflin and Daly try to pile on the pressure and favorite tag, it should be dismissed for the nonsense that it is.

You actually think that KK are as strong as they were, that's baffling to be honest, as a matter of interest what 15 do you think they will start in the summer?

Damian Lawlor had a good laugh at Shefflin on the Sean O'Rourke show this morning. "Henry sitting there with 10 All Ireland medals in his arse pocket etc etc."

I suspect we'll see a lot more of this stuff before August is out, a litany of Kilkenny legends wheeled out to tell us how great this Tipp team is, how they'll go on and dominate for the next 5 years. All part of the general tomfoolery that is inter-county rivalry. I doubt Mick or the players will play any heed to it.

Mick Fennelly would make a big difference to that team yesterday if they can get him fit for the business end of the season. They have also found Blanchfield who is a hardy bit of stuff and James Maher may come into contention yet. Darragh Joyce was a huge blow to them but there is still a huge level of talent there. From our point of view the one positive is that we are matching them for aggression at long last but before we get too far ahead of ourselves remember it could have just as easily been a Galway v Kilkenny final this year. Our touch was so far off in the semi final that it nearly proved fatal. Who knows what we would be saying now if Joe Canning stayed on the field for example.

Dont get me wrong. The retirements are going to be very very hard to replace. Even in a hurling mad county you dont just find a JJ Delaney or Henry Shefflin around the next corner. They were a special breed of character.

The demise of Kilkenny is greatly greatly exaggerated. Id expect them to win Leinster again this season despite growing confidence in Wexford.

There was two very different conversations going on there, I realise we are talking about the KK panel from 2007- 2011.

With regards to the comparison, no one has dared suggest that their achievements are in any way comparable, that would be silly, the point that both Daly and Shefflin made was that Mick Ryan has built a squad the depth of which has not been seen outside those two and personally I agree with them, now the big challenge is to deliver on that talent. Outside of inside forward line it would take a very brave man to predict any line of our first 15 come championship time, which as AI champions is a very unique position to be in.

There are currently 41 players in the Tipp training panel and there will be some serious talent cut when the final championship squad is named.

Fair enough. I thought the only relevant conversation was with what Daly and Shefflin had said. Where I completely disagree with you (as well as the pundits) 100,000 per cent is in saying we have a panel of comparable depth to Dublin and Kilkenny while having only delivered a solitary All Ireland title? Like, how can that comparison even be made? How can you say there is such depth, and we are talking almost unprecedented levels here, when it remains so critically unproven? In overall panel terms, it's just raw potential. It's nothing more than that.

Of the likes of Jason Forde, Stephen O'Brien, Aidan McCormack, Donagh Maher, Tomas Hamill, Joe O'Dwyer, Daragh Mooney, Sean Curran, John O'Keeffee, Willie Ryan, Paul Flynn, John Meagher.....how many of those are proven in senior Championship hurling? I'd be confident more than a couple of those will be up to the mark, but it has to be proven. That process will probably take a couple of years to unfold.

You actually think that KK are as strong as they were, that's baffling to be honest, as a matter of interest what 15 do you think they will start in the summer?

Not as strong as they were but i personally think they could have a massive say in this championship and are well capable of beating Galway or Waterford and need no incentive to gee themselves up for playing Tipperary at any stage.

They will get to an all ireland semi final at least as Leinster champions and they have no fear of anyone after that. Dont forget we shipped 2-20 against them in September. Kevin Kelly scored 1-4 from play. The big difference is that the Kilkenny half back line were under serious pressure and once they collapsed it doesnt matter whether if your name is Joey Holden or Noel Hickey, its very very hard to contain Seamie or Bubbles when they get that service.

Where do I say that?

I thought the only relevant conversation was with what Daly and Shefflin had said.

This is the only discussion. Nobody is talking about the KK panel of 2007-2011

Where do I say that?

Right here ;

Seriously? That's what you've taken from that? And, you tried to cut the quote in half and ignore the rest of it - the bit which has the clear context - to support your own point rather than admit you read into it something that wasn't there!?!

Is that where we're at? Come on!

• Advertisement

Not as strong as they were but i personally think they could have a massive say in this championship and are well capable of beating Galway or Waterford and need no incentive to gee themselves up for playing Tipperary at any stage.

They will get to an all ireland semi final at least as Leinster champions and they have no fear of anyone after that. Dont forget we shipped 2-20 against them in September. Kevin Kelly scored 1-4 from play. The big difference is that the Kilkenny half back line were under serious pressure and once they collapsed it doesnt matter whether if your name is Joey Holden or Noel Hickey, its very very hard to contain Seamie or Bubbles when they get that service.

We'll have to agree to disagree I guess :D

My take on it is that we spanked them in the AI and they have not improved since and its very hard to see how they will improve. They have no FB, no corner back, haven't a replacement for Mick Fennelly and only two proven scoring forwards. The biggest fear for Tipp was that like in 2011 we would take our eye off the ball in some sort of misguided belief that we were going to beat all in front of us, looking in from the outside it seems very different this year and there seems a real determination there to push on.

I actually wouldn't see KK as our main danger this year at all. And I wouldn't be one bit surprised if Wexford actually beat them in the Leinster Semi.

Seriously? That's what you've taken from that? And, you tried to cut the quote in half and ignore the rest of it - the bit which has the clear context - to support your own point rather than admit you read into it something that wasn't there!?!

Is that where we're at? Come on!

Paranoid much?? I edited the quote because the rest was irrelevant to the question you asked.

You said that anyone who thought they were in decline was on a different planet, well if they are not in decline then they must either be at the same level or a higher level.

Sorry, lad. You've missed the point! Can't help you any further, getting a bit ridiculous now! I'll be moving on!

Sorry, lad. You've missed the point! Can't help you any further, getting a bit ridiculous now! I'll be moving on!

:D

Mick Fennelly would make a big difference to that team yesterday if they can get him fit for the business end of the season.

They still have a wealth of talent and know-how. They had an amount of goal chances they didn't take in the ALL-IRE final last year. That was unlucky.

But, they're trying to find a couple of different lines in the backs - trying to unearth a few and give lads experience. Which is what they should be doing and it's we're doing too.

The age profile of Tipp's squad is better and we have players with experience who are in their prime. That bodes well - they've lost a lot of marquee players and are trying to keep up a level of success that is unprecedented.

A fit Fennelly is crucial for them.

Tipp are my faves but KK are my second faves. We are not certainties by any means. Particularly, given our history of retaining a title in the last few decades...

It drives me mad when I see nonsense like comparing the Tipp panel with squads that have had incredible success in such a short space of time...

Longford very angry over yesterday , can`t blame them to be honest .

https://www.balls.ie/gaa/longford-tipperary-360495

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Longford very angry over yesterday , can`t blame them to be honest .

https://www.balls.ie/gaa/longford-tipperary-360495

Yep, more blatent disrespect for your own footballers as well as Longford's. I'm sure your lads are just as annoyed.

Can you play that game this weekend?

Jayop wrote: »
    Yep, more blatent disrespect for your own footballers as well as Longford's. I'm sure your lads are just as annoyed.

Can you play that game this weekend?

Goes ahead next Sunday @ 2 in Thurles !

Goes ahead next Sunday @ 2 in Thurles !

Apologies , it`s on Saturday , got Sunday of Paddy Powers :D !

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=267283

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

This spiel about kilkenny being finished and Tipp to dominate for the foreseeable future was all the rage back in 2011.

Kilkenny followed up winning 4 out of the next 5 all Irelands.

Don't believe the hype lads.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Was thinking it would given it's when our game with Cavan is being played.

How do you see that division going? Looks like Louth are pretty much in the final and it's between yourselves, Sligo and Armagh for the other spot. Sligo look to have slightly easier games but it's very hard to call.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement