Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Tipperary GAA (Club and Intercounty) Thread

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 68 ✭✭I am the Res

Jayop wrote: »
    Was thinking it would given it's when our game with Cavan is being played.

How do you see that division going? Looks like Louth are pretty much in the final and it's between yourselves, Sligo and Armagh for the other spot. Sligo look to have slightly easier games but it's very hard to call.

If we can take 4 points in our next 2 games and Louth - Armagh play each other next , ideally a Louth win which would open up a gap between ourselves and Armagh . We have Louth at home and Armagh away in the last 2 , victory v Louth could see us going up . Don`t fancy going to Armagh needing to get something !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

If we can take 4 points in our next 2 games and Louth - Armagh play each other next , ideally a Louth win which would open up a gap between ourselves and Armagh . We have Louth at home and Armagh away in the last 2 , victory v Louth could see us going up . Don`t fancy going to Armagh needing to get something !

It's big time important for ye to get up I think to keep the interest among the players and to get used to playing the D2 teams next year. I honestly don't know what your lads need to do to catch the imagination down there though. An AI semi-final and a U21 final in the last few years is something else.

It's big time important for ye to get up I think to keep the interest among the players and to get used to playing the D2 teams next year. I honestly don't know what your lads need to do to catch the imagination down there though. An AI semi-final and a U21 final in the last few years is something else.

Can get support for the big games but not for the League . Took a really good support to Cork 3 years ago for the Munster Under 21 Final for example . Need Division 2 to stay competitive !

I wouldn't put it past ye to have a really good D2 either if you got there. Not a lot your going to be afraid of in that division.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,073 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Tipperary v Longford Allianz Football League Division 3 tie between Tipperary and Longford has been rescheduled for next Saturday at 5pm in Semple Stadium.

It will form part of a double-header with the meeting of heavyweights Tipperary and Kilkenny, which has a 7pm throw-in.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

Xenophile wrote: »
    Tipperary v Longford Allianz Football League Division 3 tie between Tipperary and Longford has been rescheduled for next Saturday at 5pm in Semple Stadium.

It will form part of a double-header with the meeting of heavyweights Tipperary and Kilkenny, which has a 7pm throw-in.

Great stuff. Hon the Premier!

I wouldn't put it past ye to have a really good D2 either if you got there. Not a lot your going to be afraid of in that division.

Look at how well Clare are doing . Friend of mine from Cork Posted yesterday on Facebook that he never thought he`d see the day when Cork would be the 4th best team in Munster :D !

Look at how well Clare are doing . Friend of mine from Cork Posted yesterday on Facebook that he never thought he`d see the day when Cork would be the 4th best team in Munster :D !

It's brilliant really how well the two of you are doing and it's a template even smaller football only counties should look to to see what it is that you're doing right.

I ended up getting the back up of a Sligo county board member a few weeks ago when pointing to Tipp and Clare as counties that Sligo should be looking to, rather than looking to Dublin/Mayo/Tyrone etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

Did Jason Forde pick up an injury against Waterford?

I thought a Cork inferiority complex typically consisted of admitting that they were others equals :D

• Advertisement

Did Jason Forde pick up an injury against Waterford?

Forde was quite good against Waterford. I hope he is available.

Flynn got 2 point the weekend and would be worth another look but the injuries building up are bloody worrying. I suppose its better this time of year then Summer. Mouse injured again. He has been so unlucky. Donagh, Cathal Barrett and Brendan are also out. Donagh has been absolutely flying it you wouldnt mind.

It's just that Forde wasn't on the bench for Clare - he looked visibly disappointed coming off against Waterford. I thought it was just to be subbed - but, maybe it was an injury...

I'd imagine O'Meara is out too?

Would you continue to freshen things up or really look to put the foot down against KK?

Bonnar will have a worrying lack of hurling done before championship....

It's just that Forde wasn't on the bench for Clare - he looked visibly disappointed coming off against Waterford. I thought it was just to be subbed - but, maybe it was an injury...

Would you continue to freshen things up or really look to put the foot down against KK?

Bonnar will have a worrying lack of hurling done before championship....

When is Bonnar back? He could be in great danger of missing out this year because only two of himself, o'brien and Dan can start and the other two already have a huge advantage on him so unless he is pucking around with a few Syrians for the last six months he could be very very rusty.

Forde played really well that day and he looks alot leaner this year. I hope he can start but if not id like to see Flynn get another chance. I think Niall is also out from what they are saying on PV. We will probably have to throw in Seamie for this one. Ronan and Mickey Cahill could go into the full back line alongside either Tossy or Barry. is Bergin fit? perhaps he could come into midfield with Barry Heffernan or Willie Ryan going into the half back line?

Alot of options all of a sudden and players are all eager to make an impression but the real proof of the pudding will be in the business end of the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭klose

Bonnar will have a worrying lack of hurling done before championshihp....

Watching o meara being subbed off he was pissed and it looked like they were sussing him out concussion wise from where I was sitting so I'd hazard a guess he will be ok for next week. Completely forgot about Cathal Barrett till he was mentioned a few posts ago which is shocking on my part! What's up with him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Johngoose

Thoughts on Kilkenny game?Hard one to call,will it be tight?

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Marv8

When is Bonnar back? He could be in great danger of missing out this year because only two of himself, o'brien and Dan can start and the other two already have a huge advantage on him so unless he is pucking around with a few Syrians for the last six months he could be very very rusty.

Forde played really well that day and he looks alot leaner this year. I hope he can start but if not id like to see Flynn get another chance. I think Niall is also out from what they are saying on PV. We will probably have to throw in Seamie for this one. Ronan and Mickey Cahill could go into the full back line alongside either Tossy or Barry. is Bergin fit? perhaps he could come into midfield with Barry Heffernan or Willie Ryan going into the half back line?

Alot of options all of a sudden and players are all eager to make an impression but the real proof of the pudding will be in the business end of the year.

Why would they be holding him if hes fit? The way John McGrath is hurling, he'd be my full forward going forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

klose wrote: »
    Watching o meara being subbed off he was pissed and it looked like they were sussing him out concussion wise from where I was sitting so I'd hazard a guess he will be ok for next week. Completely forgot about Cathal Barrett till he was mentioned a few posts ago which is shocking on my part! What's up with him?

Has Barrett been carrying an ankle injury? Haven't heard much news about him, think he must be near ready but not sure exactly.

If O'Meara is good to go, then I think he's got to get a run at midfield as a few people have been suggesting on this thread. Think we need more options there. O'Meara/Breen would my midfield pick for Sunday, though fancy Bergin will get another run though I think his limitations are fairly obvious at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Cathal Barrett had an operation on his shoulder and Niall O'Meara came off with suspected concussion so is not available this weekend.

Bonnar is back in April.

Barrett has an ankle ligament issue a long time - he hasn't been on the bench yet

Seamus is the best forward in the country for the last three years- and our main goal threat. He will start as our main forward at full

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

danganabu wrote: »
    Cathal Barrett had an operation on his shoulder and Niall O'Meara came off with suspected concussion so is not available this weekend.

Not sure about the shoulder op but he had a operation on his ankle and will miss the rest of the league.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Not sure about the shoulder op but he had a operation on his ankle and will miss the rest of the league.

Yes you are right my bad, not sure why I thought was his shoulder, routine enough op from what I hear and one that had been planned for a while.

He had a shoulder op in 2015 - had to return from Spain from a training camp

Marv8 wrote: »
    Why would they be holding him if hes fit? The way John McGrath is hurling, he'd be my full forward going forward.

Or how about Seamie and John together terrorising defences like last year? I'd pretty much doubt Seamie is dropped. Mick is trying out a few other lads understandably. Seamie will be on top form come the business end of the year.

Or how about Seamie and John together terrorising defences like last year? I'd pretty much doubt Seamie is dropped. Mick is trying out a few other lads understandably. Seamie will be on top form come the business end of the year.

Sounds very radical but I think it might be worth a try ;)

Bonnar is back in April.

Barrett has an ankle ligament issue a long time - he hasn't been on the bench yet

Seamus is the best forward in the country for the last three years- and our main goal threat. He will start as our main forward at full

In the championship last year, McGrath scored 5 goals (1 pen) and Callanan got 2. IMO, John is more of a goal threat and I think he would be even more deadly in full forward come championship. I've been so impressed with him in his two league games that I've had a wager on him for HOTY. And I'm not suggesting for a second that Callanan is dropped or anything.

• Advertisement

In the championship last year, McGrath scored 5 goals (1 pen) and Callanan got 2. IMO, John is more of a goal threat and I think he would be even more deadly in full forward come championship. I've been so impressed with him in his two league games that I've had a wager on him for HOTY. And I'm not suggesting for a second that Callanan is dropped or anything.

John McGrath is a quality player but Seamie is far more effective FF than in the corner, John in the corner and Seamie Full offers a lot more than Seamie in the corner and John Full.

That said they are inter-changeable and the Galway game last year was the perfect example of this. Tipp's biggest strength is that you can's double mark McGrath, Seamie and Bubbles!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

Michael Breen scored more goals than Callanan in championship last season, does that make him more of a goal threat? Callanan often operates with a sweeper in front of him and the extra attention on him creates more room for the other forwards. When he gets the ball, defenders often stand off him and let him take his point as they're afraid of his pace and strength.

Rasputin11 wrote: »
    Michael Breen scored more goals than Callanan in championship last season, does that make him more of a goal threat? Callanan often operates with a sweeper in front of him and the extra attention on him creates more room for the other forwards. When he gets the ball, defenders often stand off him and let him take his point as they're afraid of his pace and strength.

Exactly.

And, if you want to see a perfect ten in terms of point taking - watch last season's final.

There's no one fit to tie Callanan's boots in that form.

I still want to see McGrath get a sustained run at center forward. He might score five or 1-2 inside. But, I think with his hands and vision he'd create ten points - not to mention chip in with a few. And, take his own possession. He never mis-uses ball and always takes the right option. Hard runners off his shoulders - with his ball distribution and skill - will have half backs scrambling backwards....

I see Tony Kelly wants rid of the Munster championship and All-Ireland series - a la the Super 8 - put in place in July and August. What you guys think?

I never thought I would see a better Tipp full-forward line than Fox-Bonner-English in my lifetime. Then along came Corbett-Kelly-N McGrath which I thought was pretty close, but J McGrath-Callanan-O'Dwyer has taken it completely to a new level. I like Bubbles a lot, the guy has so much quality and if he maintains his current levels of fitness i'll like him even more, but the fact that you'd have to consider him the junior member of that triumverate says it all for me. The line just stays the way it is, you can't improve it with tinkering.

Reminds me a bit of the Kerry set-up around 2001-02 when you had Cooper, O Cinneide, Russell. I remember thinking O Cinneide was one of the best young players I'd seen, but he was very much the lesser of that three. But, man, what a lesser part to have!

• Advertisement

Rasputin11 wrote: »

So because Callanan is being double marked and defenders are more wary of him, I think McGrath is more of a goal threat..
    Its only my opinion anyway, probably because of the last two league games being fresh in my mind. Two deadly hurlers that have it all. Would hate to be a defender having to mark either.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭Paarthurnax

I see Tony Kelly wants rid of the Munster championship and All-Ireland series - a la the Super 8 - put in place in July and August. What you guys think?
    I think it a load of b******* You cant get rid of the munster championship, any one with a munster SH winners medal knows it true value! Tell us again Tony when you win one!

So Tipp v Longford @ 5pm Tipp v Kilkenny @ 7pm Saturday, any word on them honouring the double header ticket from last Sunday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

He has a Minor and 3 Munster u21 medals along with 3 u21 All Irelands, a senior all ireland, a senior league medal, club county , munster and potentially an All Ireland Club medal.
    I think Tony is qualified to talk about improving the game and the spectacle of hurling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Reckon the cats will be targeting this game. Roles are reversed now....we're the hunted as opposed to the hunter.
    The game will tell Mick ryan a fair bit about the squad players.
    It's great that we've won all the games so far....it allows a bit more room for tinkering against the cats and cork.
    Not convinced by Stephen o brien yet....then again look at the standards set by his teammates.
    Thought donagh maher and hamill have looked like serious contenders for the championship

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭klose

Did callinan pull out on Sunday? I noticed him warming up beforehand and he was allocated the 21 jersey according to the programs but Paul Flynn came on wearing that shirt. Or maybe it's nothing and shirt numbers don't mean a whole ton.

klose wrote: »
    Did callinan pull out on Sunday? I noticed him warming up beforehand and he was allocated the 21 jersey according to the programs but Paul Flynn came on wearing that shirt. Or maybe it's nothing and shirt numbers don't mean a whole ton.

Callanan was named in the squad on Friday night but picked up a bug/flu and Flynn was called in Sunday morning as his replacement.

I think it a load of b******* You cant get rid of the munster championship, any one with a munster SH winners medal knows it true value! Tell us again Tony when you win one!

If that post was written 30 years ago it might be true, provincial championships as things stand are merely a means to an end.

The attendance figures alone over the last few years will tell you that, 26k at last years Munster final is extremely worrying.

Hurling needs to be very careful over the next number of years, far too many inside the game are obsessed and worried about the potential damage that Rugby and Soccer might do but the truth is that the real danger is a lot closer and this super 8 craic will only heighten that threat, hurling is in real danger of been marginalised.

If that post was written 30 years ago it might be true, provincial championships as things stand are merely a means to an end.

The attendance figures alone over the last few years will tell you that, 26k at last years Munster final is extremely worrying.

Hurling needs to be very careful over the next number of years, far too many inside the game are obsessed and worried about the potential damage that Rugby and Soccer might do but the truth is that the real danger is a lot closer and this super 8 craic will only heighten that threat, hurling is in real danger of been marginalised.

Funny, isn't it? A few years ago we were hearing dark prognosis' on the future of Gaelic football, so many one-sided games and people telling us that all the "dark arts" and blanket defences would kill the game. Well, not only did they not kill the game, it appears to be somewhat flourishing, even while Dublin remain practically unbeatable. Think I read that the Dublin-Kerry game in Tralee next week is already sold out. Huge crowds at the games up north as well. Even the Tipp crowds haven't been as bad as the pundits make out.

I agree hurling needs to have a close look at itself and figure out a future strategy. There is absolutely nothing to be complacent about.

Still can't beat the munster championship, anything can happen. Once Cork get their act together the gate numbers will rise again. If the game was held in Thurles last year the the turnout would have been a lot higher on both sides, getting pissed rain on in Limerick is no fun unless you win by a cricket score. Why the need for change. Is the standard that bad considering the influence of other sports.

• Advertisement

buck65 wrote: »
    He has a Minor and 3 Munster u21 medals along with 3 u21 All Irelands, a senior all ireland, a senior league medal, club county , munster and potentially an All Ireland Club medal.
    I think Tony is qualified to talk about improving the game and the spectacle of hurling.
    You forgot to mention his Fitzgibbon cup winners medal with UL. Never questioned his qualifications to talk about improving the game, but I don't think he would give up on a Munster Final medal given the chance. I don't think any player has ever gone into a munster final, thinking this isn't important sure were still in the all ireland series win or lose.

Still can't beat the munster championship, anything can happen. Once Cork get their act together the gate numbers will rise again. If the game was held in Thurles last year the the turnout would have been a lot higher on both sides, getting pissed rain on in Limerick is no fun unless you win by a cricket score. Why the need for change. Is the standard that bad considering the influence of other sports.

They need to change because Hurling will be left behind, as things stand in 2018 in July and August there will be 19 Football games to 5 Hurling games, that's a ridiculous imbalance and will be detrimental to hurling going forward.

Last years championship had no actual highlight or memorable game until the AI semi-finals - the attendance at the KK v Waterford was a pathetic 34,000.

Here is the interview from Tony Kelly and it's hard to argue with anything he says, pretty much on the money for me https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2017/0307/857733-tony-kelly/

I think you need to forget about tradition and history, a Railway Cup medal and an Oireachtas medal were once hugely important and prestigous, times change and if you stand still you get left behind.

Team for tomorrow night

1. Charlie Manton (Fethard)
    2. Willie Connors (Kiladangan)
    3. Liam Ryan (Clonmel Commercials)
    4. Colm O’Shaughnessy (Ardfinnan)
    5. Daire Brennan (Kilsheelan-Kilcash)
    6. Liam Fahey (Rockwell Rovers)
    7. Paudie Feehan (Killenaule)
    8. Danny Owens (Moyle Rovers, captain)
    9. Jack Kennedy (Clonmel Commercials)
    10. Aidan Buckley (St Patrick’s)
    11. Stephen Quirke (Moyle Rovers)
    12. Emmet Moloney (Drom & Inch)
    13.Joe Ryan (Kilmurry, Cork)
    14.Jack Butler (Upperchurch-Drombane)
    15. Brendan Martin (Kilsheelan-Kilcash).

I think it's the future and certainly worth a try but perhaps keep the provincial championships and ditch the winter tournaments. Integrate league, province and all Ireland series in someway maybe?

Run the league in March, April and May? - top teams then qualify for a champions league format in terms of two groups of four - in July and August (but not home and away). Teams that don't qualify for the main comp go into a B championship of a similar format. Top two teams in each group play the final - end of August?

Not sure about the provincials...

What say you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Provincial championships have to go lads.

I love the munster championship but it's days are numbered for sure. It does nothing for players, clubs, fans. Attendances are falling, and it's no surprise. It's 4 games over 2 months. There's more games in division one each week.

Leinster championship is a joke. A dumping ground for the likes of Antrim, Galway and kerry, how they still call it the leinster championship is beyond me.

Similarly in football, only clare have won a munster outside of Cork and kerry in the last 80 years or so.

Only decent competitions are ulster football and munster hurling, but there not enough to keep the status quo going forward.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Provincial championships have to go lads.

I love the munster championship but it's days are numbered for sure. It does nothing for players, clubs, fans. Attendances are falling, and it's no surprise. It's 4 games over 2 months. There's more games in division one each week.

Leinster championship is a joke. A dumping ground for the likes of Antrim, Galway and kerry, how they still call it the leinster championship is beyond me.

Similarly in football, only clare have won a munster outside of Cork and kerry in the last 80 years or so.

Only decent competitions are ulster football and munster hurling, but there not enough to keep the status quo going forward.

The Connacht championship in football is actually the third best after the two you mention imo in terms of meaning something and being competitive. All 5 teams have won it in the last 22 years, 4 of them in the last 10 and the final regularly has any 2 from 4 whilst it's dominated generally by 2.

I don't think it is important Tipp beat KK on Saturday. however, it is very important we beat them in the championship...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

I don't think it is important Tipp beat KK on Saturday. however, it is very important we beat them in the championship...

Tipp have peaked too early in the past to their detriment. I can't really see that being a problem this season but I do think beating Kilkenny is important. Other than the All-Ireland final, Tipp beating Kilkenny is still the exception to the rule and until we can beat them consistently they'll be a psychological roadblock. Too many people reckon the cats aren't a threat anymore but, although their star seems to have diminished slightly, they will always be a threat to Tipp whether in the league or the championship.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement