Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Tipperary GAA (Club and Intercounty) Thread

Comments

marvin80 wrote: »
    If it's 8 teams next year I'd be keen to get rid of the quarter-finals and semi-finals, maybe just have a final between the top 2 in the division.

I kind of like the quarters being honest as it adds that bit of extra spice. Perhaps what they should do is though have the top 3 from each division and have 2nd of Div 1 play 3rd of Div 2 and vice versa.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

Pace is not his forte - though, I wouldn't be terrified of him starting. That said, I don't think he will start. But, I'm delighted to see develop as a serious option

Looking at him from the outside he definitely is impressive all year. He must be very close to the starting 15 for the Cork game in the Munster championship if he keeps going the way he's going. A big loss to Killea though when he left I'd imagine.

Pace is not his forte - though, I wouldn't be terrified of him starting. That said, I don't think he will start. But, I'm delighted to see develop as a serious option

A big forte not to have really if he is up against speedy forwards when the ground gets a bit harder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

There's only 2 defensive positions not totally nailed down I'd say, LB and RHB, and it would be no surprise if both of last years incumbents retain their places, at least to start. (That's not including the No.1 slot obviously).

I think Hamill is useful as cover for Barry, though maybe Donogh Maher could do a job there too, not sure about that one? Could always bring Ronan Maher back too, but as the best No.6 in the game, think I'd prefer to keep him there whatever happens.

There's only 2 defensive positions not totally nailed down I'd say, LB and RHB, and it would be no surprise if both of last years incumbents retain their places, at least to start. (That's not including the No.1 slot obviously).

I think Hamill is useful as cover for Barry, though maybe Donogh Maher could do a job there too, not sure about that one? Could always bring Ronan Maher back too, but as the best No.6 in the game, think I'd prefer to keep him there whatever happens.

What of John Meagher though? Did he get one injury too many? Ive seen him hurl minor and u21 and he looked such a fantastic prospect. Excellent reader of the game and utterly dominant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

cul beag wrote: »
    Looking at him from the outside he definitely is impressive all year. He must be very close to the starting 15 for the Cork game in the Munster championship if he keeps going the way he's going. A big loss to Killea though when he left I'd imagine.

Killea are Junior b and have no underage teams at all, he really had no choice and there was certainly no animosity towards him, the only surprise was that he went to Moyne-Templetouhy as opposed to JK Brackens.

What of John Meagher though? Did he get one injury too many? Ive seen him hurl minor and u21 and he looked such a fantastic prospect. Excellent reader of the game and utterly dominant

Was on the 26 the last two games and agreed he looks exceptionally good in the glimpses we have seen but you would have to wonder is his body able to inter-county hurling, it's been injury after injury since he came out of minor. The display he gave in the Munster U21 final (where he was subsequently very harshly red-carded in extra time) was one of the best I have ever seen at that grade or any grade for that matter.

Tom Fox is another who must be very close to getting a look in.

danganabu wrote: »
    Killea are Junior b and have no underage teams at all, he really had no choice and there was certainly no animosity towards him, the only surprise was that he went to Moyne-Templetouhy as opposed to JK Brackens.

Killea hate the Brackens though. I think they are a splinter club of sorts. There is some history there anyway. Perhaps it was a group against a club merger?

The ironic thing is that the O'Riordans and the Scully's who lined out for the Brackens are actually from Killea

Killea hate the Brackens though. I think they are a splinter club of sorts. There is some history there anyway. Perhaps it was a group against a club merger?

The ironic thing is that the O'Riordans and the Scully's who lined out for the Brackens are actually from Killea

Hamill hurled with the Bracken's all the way up to minor. I think it was more to do with the fact that Bracken's would put slightly more emphasis on football as opposed to hurling.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

Definitely, a loss to Killea.

I'm not sure how much speed he lacks. It hasn't been too obviously exposed to me at any rate. Due to the length of his legs alone I can't see anyone burning over 10 yards anyway. Maybe, that initial 2 to 6 yards won't be his fastest moment due to his size. But, I've seen him knock the ball from a forward who looked to be away a few times. Certainly doesn't seem like a slouch.

Plenty have players have not just lacked pace but looked slow. Like Peter Barry, Brian Hogan, Conor O'Mahony, Bobby Ryan, Ronan Maher and a lots more - Ronan Maher is certainly not a pacy player - but they have a few yards in their head. Just able to read the game better and their positional sense is top notch. Game IQ is quite a leveler if not an advantage, hard to beat a player who is the right place before you or often just stronger on the ball. I think Hamill fits into this bracket - hence, why he can cover so many positions.

Some players are too fast for their own good - and their striking suffers for it. Paul Kelly was a case in point, when Kelly had his pace and striking in sequence he was probably the best player in the country. Tipp lost a Munster final in 2005? He scored 7 points from play from midfield and got motm. But, there were days when the ball could anywhere but over the bar. Then the mind gremlins creep in ....

Also, on Jason Forde. I think some people have a confused notion of the type of hurler Jason Forde is. A lot of conversations at inter-county games just speak of him as a forward. But, a lot of managers have selected him at center back, wing back, and midfield. Brian Lohan played him at center back for a few games this year and I know the tipp minors had him captain and at center back. Although, I think he won the Croke Cup with Nenagh CBS at Full-Foward. think he was switched between midfield and forwards for Silvermines when they won the Munster intermediate club in 2013. There is an amount of hurling in him - and his delivery to forwards is excellent. He doesn't suffer from NERVES, lads! He has been winning his whole career and been a leader on teams that do not have a history of winning which says something about him. The nerves thing comes from his selection to make his debut against Limerick - it was a ferocious hot day and he woke up with a stomach bug and got sick all night and day. The doctor said he was too dehydrated to play and Forde wanted to play. The call was made against his wishes. And, ever since people have said he shat himself! That it was his nerves. It's complete nonsense. Bull****.

Definitely, a loss to Killea.

I'm not sure how much speed he lacks. It hasn't been too obviously exposed to me at any rate. Due to the length of his legs alone I can't see anyone burning over 10 yards anyway. Maybe, that initial 2 to 6 yards won't be his fastest moment due to his size. But, I've seen him knock the ball from a forward who looked to be away a few times. Certainly doesn't seem like a slouch.

Plenty have players have not just lacked pace but looked slow. Like Peter Barry, Brian Hogan, Conor O'Mahony, Bobby Ryan, Ronan Maher and a lots more - Ronan Maher is certainly not a pacy player - but they have a few yards in their head. Just able to read the game better and their positional sense is top notch. Game IQ is quite a leveler if not an advantage, hard to beat a player who is the right place before you or often just stronger on the ball. I think Hamill fits into this bracket - hence, why he can cover so many positions.

Some players are too fast for their own good - and their striking suffers for it. Paul Kelly was a case in point, when Kelly had his pace and striking in sequence he was probably the best player in the country. Tipp lost a Munster final in 2005? He scored 7 points from play from midfield and got motm. But, there were days when the ball could anywhere but over the bar. Then the mind gremlins creep in ....

Also, on Jason Forde. I think some people have a confused notion of the type of hurler Jason Forde is. A lot of conversations at inter-county games just speak of him as a forward. But, a lot of managers have selected him at center back, wing back, and midfield. Brian Lohan played him at center back for a few games this year and I know the tipp minors had him captain and at center back. Although, I think he won the Croke Cup with Nenagh CBS at Full-Foward. think he was switched between midfield and forwards for Silvermines when they won the Munster intermediate club in 2013. There is an amount of hurling in him - and his delivery to forwards is excellent. He doesn't suffer from NERVES, lads! He has been winning his whole career and been a leader on teams that do not have a history of winning which says something about him. The nerves thing comes from his selection to make his debut against Limerick - it was a ferocious hot day and he woke up with a stomach bug and got sick all night and day. The doctor said he was too dehydrated to play and Forde wanted to play. The call was made against his wishes. And, ever since people have said he shat himself! That it was his nerves. It's complete nonsense. Bull****.

For people to say 'He shat himself' is way OTT and bad form really considering he was a very very young player at the time and yes he was genuinely ill on the day.

I dont think there is anything wrong with match day nerves though tbh. its a natural human reaction. Big difference to winning a harty cup with your school, good an achievement as that is and lining out against Kilkenny or whoever in a packed out stadium. He made a huge impact as a sub in both the 2014 final and last years final. The injuries have probably came at the wrong time for him at a time when he was on the verge of getting a long run in the team.

Is he as good as Noel? He has a bit to go yet in my opinion. When Noel is on top top form there is few in the game better

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

Hamill got done for pace by Devine for a goal in Thurles in the league last year, not too many lads his height would be blessed with pace, especially on the turn.

In fairness, what back hasn't been caught for a goal? It's a different thing if it's happening every game...

Yes, I wouldn't be comparing Jason to Noelie. Nevermind, comparing achievements in the game. But, do I think Jason capable of taking his place? Yes I do. Especially if Noel lost form. If Noel got injured then I think we have a good replacement in Jason or Niall or Stephen

And, Jason is the one I would least concerns about...although I'd have a high confidence in each. But, i'd have Jason on top of those three

In fairness, what back hasn't been caught for a goal? It's a different thing if it's happening every game...

I agree, done very well so far this campaign, Reid, Walsh and Fennelly will all offer different tests for Hamill on Saturday.

• Advertisement

Fact. And, Lehane, Cadogan, and Kingston if Hamill gets the nod...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,073 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Teams.

1. Daragh Mooney – Éire Óg Annacarty-Donohill
    2. Donagh Maher – Burgess
    3. James Barry – Upperchurch-Drombane
    4. Michael Cahill – Thurles Sarsfields
    5. Tomás Hamill – Moyne-Templetuohy
    6. Ronan Maher – Thurles Sarsfields
    7. Padraic Maher (Capt.) – Thurles Sarsfields
    8. Sean Curran – Mullinahone
    9. Michael Breen – Ballina
    10. Dan McCormack – Borris-Ileigh
    11. Niall O’Meara – Kilruane MacDonaghs
    12. Noel McGrath – Loughmore-Castleiney
    13. John O’Dwyer – Killenaule
    14. Seamus Callanan – Drom & Inch
    15. John McGrath – Loughmore-Castleiney

The team lines out as follows;

1. Evan Comerford – Kilsheelan-Kilcash
    2. Alan Campbell – Moyle Rovers
    3. Paddy Codd – Killenaule
    4. Willie Connors – Kiladangan
    5. Emmett Moloney – Drom & Inch
    6. Robbie Kiely – Carbery Rangers
    7. Jimmy Feehan – Killenaule
    8. Liam Casey – Cahir
    9. Jack Kennedy – Clonmel Commercials
    10. Josh Keane – Golden-Kilfeacle
    11. Kevin O’Halloran – Portroe
    12. Brian Fox (Capt.) – Éire Óg Annacarty-Donohill
    13. Conor Sweeney – Ballyporeen
    14. Michael Quinlivan – Clonmel Commercials
    15. Philip Austin – Borrisokane

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

I'd imagine Dan McCormack will go midfield and Curran go to the wing

Kilkenny Team Named
    Posted about 2 hours ago
    Kilkenny Team v Tipperary - Allianz League R 4
    1 Eoin Murphy Glenmore
    2 Paul Murphy Danesfort
    3 Padraig Walsh Tullaroan
    4 Conor O Shea Clara
    5 Conor Fogarty Erins Own
    6 Shane Prendergast Clara
    7 Jason Cleere Bennettsbridge
    8 Paddy Deegan O'Loughlin Gaels
    9 Cillian Buckley Dicksboro
    10 Richie Hogan Danesfort
    11 T J Reid Ballyhale Shamrocks
    12 Colin Fennelly Ballyhale Shamrocks
    13 Alan Murphy Glenmore
    14 Liam Blanchfield Bennettsbridge
    15 Walter Walsh Tullogher Rosbercon

16 Darren Brennan St Lachtains
    17 Joey Holden Ballyhale Shamrocks
    18 Kieran Joyce Rower Inistioge
    19 Conor Delaney Erins Own
    20 Evan Cody Dicksboro
    21 Michael Walsh Young Irelands
    22 Ollie Walsh Dicksboro
    23 Conor Martin Emeralds
    24 James Maher St Lachtains
    25 Sean Morrissey Bennettsbridge
    26 Michael Malone Mullinavat

Nice blend of old and youth from Cody - Conor O Shea, Jason Cleere, Paddy Deegan, and Alan Murphy are heralded young hurlers in Kilkenny. Murphy, in particular, looks a star in the making...

Definitely the best side Cody has picked so far...

• Advertisement

No Farrell or Aylward for KK, few rumours going around about their omissions.

Rumours?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Kitsunegari

Rumours?

Rumours that Alyward was kicked off the panel a few weeks ago.

He has time to get his house in order...be a shame if he can't

Be interesting to see if the two tall men, Blanchfield and Walsh, are put out on our corner backs...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

I've yet to be convinced by Hamill but if he does a job on Richie Hogan this evening i'll start coming around. He's not athletic enough for the full back line but he could find a home at wing back if he does well on Hogan, that position is there to be won and no one has stood out just yet

I think Kennedy is more than capable of making the position his own again. Or Hamill or Heffernan

If the KK V Cork game is anything to go by - Hogan will go deep - be interesting to see if the backs hold or he is followed...

Tough one on Steven O'Brien...

Hard to argue against teh insertion of Niall O'Meara the way he was moving against Clare.

Noelie is the elder statesman on a half forward line against a KK half backline that is now not their strongest line. He must be looking forward to this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭klose

Pleasure to be at the game tonight but feel like we really should have won it, was afraid they'd sneak it at the end as they do. Not sure on the keeper for the 2 penalties, seemed confined to conceding before he ball was struck. Could watch john McGrath hurl for days.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭JaffaP

Made no attempt to save either penalty, might as well have stood out of the goal. Thought it was odd alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭shamrockvilla

outscored Kilkenny 2-11 -1-7 from play

• Advertisement

Some game, you just can't beat Tipp KK for sheer entertainment and all played in a good honest fashion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Hopefully this puts a few myths to bed.

Firstly that tipp will be untouchable this year and secondly that kilkenny are finished.

What a cracking game, not far off championship pace. Kilkenny certainly brought the fire in the second half and I thought we struggled for the most part. Our half back line which were well on top in first half went to bits I felt, not sure why, kilkenny were much more dominant in the air hence we really struggled from puck outs.

Similarly our half forward line struggled to win any ball and when they did they were usually surrounded. Thought we lacked that bit of composure to find the man in space.

Ryan certainly loves a substitution before half time, sends a message to team. Think we still need to find someone at midfield, Breen has been poor the last few games I've seen him play. Thought Curran played well, was surprised to see Dan taken off. Forde looked off the pace when he came on.

Great contest though, lots learned tonight.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

That'll dampen some of the ridiculous hype generated by Shefflin, Daly, Power and Brennan earlier in the week, though I wouldn't think for a minute they believed any of what they were saying. I'd say Mick Ryan will be quietly happy with the way it panned out, that match tonight was worth more than any amount of training to both sides.

Rasputin11 wrote: »
    That'll dampen some of the ridiculous hype generated by Shefflin, Daly, Power and Brennan earlier in the week, though I wouldn't think for a minute they believed any of what they were saying. I'd say Mick Ryan will be quietly happy with the way it panned out, that match tonight was worth more than any amount of training to both sides.

I'm very happy with how tonight panned out to be honest. Great game. Amazingly some of our first fifteen of last year such as Mikey Breen, Seamie Callanan, Bubbles and Noel were probably the ones struggling. Dan McCormack was simply outstanding as was Niall O'Meara. The fact both were taken off would suggest to me that Ryan cared about the work-out more than the result.
    Even Ronan was very patchy on occasion.

The main thing is we didnt lose but even if we did i dont think it would be the end of the world. In fact, it makes sure we are grounded for the year ahead. Ryan has identified the need within the county to keep ourselves someway realistic so he will be probably happy with the outcome.

Some 3 hours later or thereabouts and after a few cidonas, am still buzzing. Terrific encounter, as good a fare as you can ever expect for mid march and on a pitch like that.

That 2-3 min passage around 59-62 minutes will be played and played and replayed. Incredible stuff and ref brought an end to it with a bit of a soft free to Tipp i though.

Hard enough game to analyse beyond that, both teams can take lots of positives. Tipp could have won it, but not sure they should have won it. They had 2 collosal figures in Buckley (MofM) and Reid. We had lots of good performers but nobody who quite reached a pitch as high as that. The two penalty concessions were both very unnecessary and probably the ultimate difference between a win and a draw I felt.

Our footballers have been forgotten after an excellent performance this evening. Conor Sweeney must have thought he'd won the lotto when he was left all on his owny owns for the first goal. Some of the fielding from Mikey Quinlivan was unbelievable. And how many miles does that Josh Keane cover per game? Absolutely ridiculous

Offaly, Louth and Armagh left. Although Armagh are tough to beat at home, we are more than capable of going up there and getting a result.

Louth are going really well but we put them to the sword in the championship two year ago (albeit with O'Riordan and O'Brien, etc). The Biffo's are normally tough at home but we surely should be their match?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Good to see a massive attendance rewarded with a great game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Ompala

What a day!

Firstly, great win by the footballer. They started like a steam train and were 8 clear early in the 1st half, first Tipp goal will give Longford nightmares for weeks to come. Longford got on top for a good spell either side of half time and whittled down the lead to 3 at one point but Tipp dug deep and stretched back to 6 before the 3rd goal killed the game off. Quinlivan & Fox were excellent.

As for the hurling, for march that was exceptional! Some excellent performances from more of the unknowns of the team while some of the more experienced guys struggled.
    Mooney didn't even move for either penalty, was strange to not even attempt to block them. Surprised myself Paul Maher hasn't been tried for the league, though he was tied up in Fitzgibbon for a while.
    John O'Keefe did very well corner back, Barry and Cahill were solid, half back line were dominant early on but Kilkenny rejigging their half forward line , particularly moving Walter Walsh on to Ronan Maher, stifled them.

Breen was cleaned by Buckley in midfield (motm I thought, was certain he had gotten that point in the 1st half) Curran took his points well and seemed to get on an awful lot of break ball. Brendan was missed here.

Our forwards didn't have their best evening, had a lot of bad wides I felt and butchered 2 great goal chances. O'Dwyer had more time than he thought and should have caught the ball rather than volley it, poor follow up by us after Murphy pulled off a great save from John McGrath late on.

McCormack and O'Meara got through a huge amount of work and played exceptionally. Noel and Bubbles seemed to struggle to get to the pace of this one, both hit a lot of bad wides late on. Callinan was quite poor and looked very rusty in this game. Mixed the good with the bad on the frees in the 1st half and was well held by Walsh. Did score 2 crucial points at the end when brought out the field. Has had little game time up to this though and will definitely improve the more time he gets. John McGrath was excellent once again. Felt O'Brien was unlucky not to start and did very well when he came on as did Kennedy & Bergin. Forde seemed a bit off the pace.

Didn't lose being the main thing, despite not playing our best upfront and giving away needless penalties (Reids 1st goal was next to unstoppable) so plenty to work on for Ryan still. Felt that KKs touch was a lot sharper than ours, we seemed to drop the ball a lot and struggle to rise it first time, didn't happen them as much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭klose

I'm very happy with how tonight panned out to be honest. Great game. Amazingly some of our first fifteen of last year such as Mikey Breen, Seamie Callanan, Bubbles and Noel were probably the ones struggling. Dan McCormack was simply outstanding as was Niall O'Meara. The fact both were taken off would suggest to me that Ryan cared about the work-out more than the result.
    Even Ronan was very patchy on occasion.

The main thing is we didnt lose but even if we did i dont think it would be the end of the world. In fact, it makes sure we are grounded for the year ahead. Ryan has identified the need within the county to keep ourselves someway realistic so he will be probably happy with the outcome.

Nail on the head stuff there, id have liked to see Stephen o brien come on earlier too to shake things up again as we weren't winning any higher balls in our half forward line and would have like to seen his height added.
    I was watching callanan and he looked like a man marooned on an island at times, looks like he was told to stick up near the goal all game and there was a spell where he was put out left for a few minutes which is where he got his 2 scored from play from. Also did anyone notice his 2-3 absolutely scuffed frees? Was it something purposely done to send in a dribbler in close to the goal? Was strange. Agree on the few lads being rusty but thought Noel McGrath had a very bad day at the office, bubbles had his moments he can nick up the ball and have it struck in the blink of an eye the man has lightning hands. Thought Sean curren also played very well for someone with not a whole pile of games under his belt in midfield. And paudie maher putting up the paw, fetching a high ball and sending it back over the bar with interest! Like the sun rising in the morning it's a guarentee every game :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Lads any reason why hawkeye wasn't used?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Bit of criticism for Noel McGrath. Not sure it is warranted. Certainly had no stormer, a bit below par, but I thought a lot of scores were filtered through him (usual stuff) but won't get much credit for that. He missed one bad one for sure, but off hand can't recall any more than that. Will have to watch the video again to verify.

Clearest thing from this match for me is that Niall O'Meara and Steven O'Brien (even with such a limited cameo) are playing their way onto this team, while Michael Breen is playing his way off it. O'Meara for Breen seems a fairly logical swap going forward at this stage I think.

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Lads any reason why hawkeye wasn't used?

Good question. Would have been busy last night on both sides. Maybe it doesn't work there under the lights for whatever reason, only thing I can think of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Good question. Would have been busy last night on both sides. Maybe it doesn't work there under the lights for whatever reason, only thing I can think of.
    Certainly isnt that. Of course it could be used under lights.
    Sometimes there's been tech issues with it and possibly that again??

Certainly isnt that. Of course it could be used under lights.
    Sometimes there's been tech issues with it and possibly that again??

Don't think they're using it during the league.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭dzer2

Rasputin11 wrote: »
    Don't think they're using it during the league.

The deal done was that when it is used, a fee has to be paid so the camogie and league games don't use it

Bit of criticism for Noel McGrath. Not sure it is warranted. Certainly had no stormer, a bit below par, but I thought a lot of scores were filtered through him (usual stuff) but won't get much credit for that. He missed one bad one for sure, but off hand can't recall any more than that. Will have to watch the video again to verify.

Clearest thing from this match for me is that Niall O'Meara and Steven O'Brien (even with such a limited cameo) are playing their way onto this team, while Michael Breen is playing his way off it. O'Meara for Breen seems a fairly logical swap going forward at this stage I think.

Im not too worried about the experienced lads struggling this time of the year tbh as they'll be good when it matters and then some but i think Michael Breen is suffering some dip in form which he could well be in danger of losing his place on the 15. Again, perhaps he was carrying a knock or a flu last night. he may be only getting up to the pace of things.

The worst thing about this current league format is that we are now in a situation where we play one of Kerry, Offaly or Laois in a quarter final and with all due respect to these teams its a pure mismatch.

For that game and the next game against Cork in Flower lodge which is effectively dead rubber now we should try out the extended panellists and whomever needs an extra game to bring them along. losing doesnt matter, we're top of the group no matter what happens.

Look at who we were missing last night folks from last years final

Brendan, Cathal Barrett, Darren Gleeson, Seamus Kennedy (used as sub), Bonnar.

Added to that, Noel, Bubbles, Seamie and Cahill are capable of performing better and will do so at the business end of the championship. They know if they dont that there is plenty in reserve putting pressure on them for their shirt.

how would you line out for the next game?

Id try out Cian Hogan in goal, O'keeffe and Cahill in the corners, Maybe try John Meagher at full back and bring in Willie Ryan at number 5. Perhaps Try Barry Heffernan at number 7? Or try out the other flynn at full back and put john meagher at 6?

Give Curran another go in the middle alongside Kieran Bergin or better still Mikey Breen to give Breen more game time?
    Maybe throw Forde, Stevie O'brien and Paul Flynn in the forwards alongside Aidan McCormack and another game for Seamie to shake off the rust and perhaps have a look at Dylan Fitzelle while we are at it?

Id dip beyond the 26 for the next two games and try out a few more lads.

I really admire what Mick is doing and if we dont retain Liam McCarthy this year it wont be for his lack of attention to detail that is for sure. He seems intent on utilising the panel to its extent and keeping everyone on their toes. You cant fault him for that

Current football situation. Louth are top with 8 pts on +21 score difference. They play Armagh at home next and a win will see them promoted with two games to spare should Sligo lose to Longford. They play us in two weeks 26th in Thurles

We are 2nd on 6 points and +18 score difference. Sligo and Armagh are behind us tied on 5 points each.

Ideally, besides needing ourselves to beat Offaly, we also need Louth and Longford to do us favours next weekend. That would leave Louth on 10, ourselves on 8, and both Sligo and Armagh on 5 each with 2 games left. Were ourselves to win in Tullamore and Louth to secure promotion before playing us in Thurles the following week well we are laughing

Look at who we were missing last night folks from last years final

Brendan, Cathal Barrett, Darren Gleeson, Seamus Kennedy (used as sub), Bonnar.

Added to that, Noel, Bubbles, Seamie and Cahill are capable of performing better and will do so at the business end of the championship. They know if they dont that there is plenty in reserve putting pressure on them for their shirt.

how would you line out for the next game?

Id try out Cian Hogan in goal, O'keeffe and Cahill in the corners, Maybe try John Meagher at full back and bring in Willie Ryan at number 5. Perhaps Try Barry Heffernan at number 7? Or try out the other flynn at full back and put john meagher at 6?

Give Curran another go in the middle alongside Kieran Bergin or better still Mikey Breen to give Breen more game time?
    Maybe throw Forde, Stevie O'brien and Paul Flynn in the forwards alongside Aidan McCormack and another game for Seamie to shake off the rust and perhaps have a look at Dylan Fitzelle while we are at it?

Id dip beyond the 26 for the next two games and try out a few more lads.

I really admire what Mick is doing and if we dont retain Liam McCarthy this year it wont be for his lack of attention to detail that is for sure. He seems intent on utilising the panel to its extent and keeping everyone on their toes. You cant fault him for that

Yep, I'd go along with that. I want to see O'Meara tried at midfield, but seeming like Mick doesn't see this working out as he'd surely have got to it by now. I agree Breen needs more game time to try and play his way back to his mid-summer form. And Seamie could do with it too, flashes of form coming back late on yesterday. I wouldn't be worried about the old guard either.

Had a few discussions with lads about Mooney today. A fair few critical of his (non-) efforts on Reid's penalties. Personally, I'm not inclined to be too harsh, they were all but unstoppable, but tend to agree some sort of token effort would have been desirable. Don't think he has done much wrong overall, but still think I'd prefer Gleeson at this stage. Hogan is defiinitely worth a look too before it's too late for this year.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement