Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Tipperary GAA (Club and Intercounty) Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

The blue gate was open last night, probably just a once off with the big crowd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Current football situation. Louth are top with 8 pts on +21 score difference. They play Armagh at home next and a win will see them promoted with two games to spare should Sligo lose to Longford. They play us in two weeks 26th in Thurles

We are 2nd on 6 points and +18 score difference. Sligo and Armagh are behind us tied on 5 points each.

Ideally, besides needing ourselves to beat Offaly, we also need Louth and Longford to do us favours next weekend. That would leave Louth on 10, ourselves on 8, and both Sligo and Armagh on 5 each with 2 games left. Were ourselves to win in Tullamore and Louth to secure promotion before playing us in Thurles the following week well we are laughing

Have their destiny in their own hands anyway. Offaly were beaten by 30 points in Armagh last week and Louth beat them comfortably in Tullamore the week before that. Would be a bit disappointing if we didn't come away with 2 points there. Louth and Armagh looks a tight enough call.

Rasputin11 wrote: »
    The blue gate was open last night, probably just a once off with the big crowd.

The ironic thing is that with a good bit of traffic that would have been more than likely Nenagh bound last week that it would have made more sense to open that gate then.

I would doubt Longford brought too many supporters last night somehow but i suppose they wear the same colours as ourselves so its hard to distinguish the supporters in a cluster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Might be time to bring Mikey Breen back into the defense, was an excellent full back a few years ago.

No reason not give the fringe players a run out against the cannon fodder in the quarter final. I'd still keep Seamie, Bubbles, Cahill in the team as they need the hurling.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Might be time to bring Mikey Breen back into the defense, was an excellent full back a few years ago.

No reason not give the fringe players a run out against the cannon fodder in the quarter final. I'd still keep Seamie, Bubbles, Cahill in the team as they need the hurling.

I think Breen is wasted too far back tbh because on song he can be a very effective midfielder or forward. We may be in danger of overreacting to what is essentially his first league game back here. O'Shea tried him in that number five slot where he excelled in '15 for the few league games before he moved to the middle.

Perhaps he should be tried for the sake of cover fair enough but i still think he can be very effective up the field. He was very good for us in the Munster championship and against Galway last year. Still a young player

Think we should pick a panel from this lot for the next two games in order to get Seamie, and Breeno up to speed and give some of these lads a chance.

411694.png

• Registered Users Posts: 14 dttumpp

Yep, I'd go along with that. I want to see O'Meara tried at midfield, but seeming like Mick doesn't see this working out as he'd surely have got to it by now. I agree Breen needs more game time to try and play his way back to his mid-summer form. And Seamie could do with it too, flashes of form coming back late on yesterday. I wouldn't be worried about the old guard either.

Had a few discussions with lads about Mooney today. A fair few critical of his (non-) efforts on Reid's penalties. Personally, I'm not inclined to be too harsh, they were all but unstoppable, but tend to agree some sort of token effort would have been desirable. Don't think he has done much wrong overall, but still think I'd prefer Gleeson at this stage. Hogan is defiinitely worth a look too before it's too late for this year.

I bet Gleeson would have saved one of those. They were brilliant penalties but not to get near them isn't good enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Id try out Cian Hogan in goal

Cian is the guy who was FF on the U21's a few years back, Brian is the goalkeeper. Mooney was very static for all three goals really and his puckouts are far too predictable and high.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

Whatever about the penalties - the first goal was scored from nearly thirty yards. That's not good enough... - our own players could learn a lot from the way Reid strikes a peno. There's no reason why Bubbles or Callinan can't strike a peno like that - they seem to err on the placement side of things. It hasn't worked so far...

Mooney has developed throughout the league - he will learn a lot from Saturday night. He has a good career ahead of him if can keep developing at that rate.

Gleeson is a great keeper - and his ability to switch up puck outs and on the fly is important. He is an important ingredient. I know he has off field issues but it affect his performances last season. I'd back him...

The importance of Brendan Maher is not just as an individual talent but his support of the half back line and half forward line is a huge factor to making this team tick. He never stops running. But, whoever he plays beside benefits - a lot of our midfielder options don't look the same without him. They just don't the same confidence without him there, it seems. Certainly, no one has grown into a leadership role in midfield without Brendan there.

I'd keep Niall where he is - he is definitely a forward. A great hurling brain for the gap - especially finding players on the run. He is emerging as a serious alternative to Bonnar...a very different alternative which is even better. The way things are shaping up when it comes to starting against KK - I'd have noelie five on the half forward line list behind Dan, Bonnar, Niall, and Stephen. Just think they are better options against KK - in that kind of war of attrition- I'd have Noelie first on the list against almost anyone else. But, more often than not Noelie does not fire against KK. I think he came on with 20-15 minutes to go and the game is breaking up - it would suit him more.

I'd like to see Brian McGrath added to the panel. He is more than good enough - has enough hurling to cover most positions. He is a bit light at the moment - but a serious hurler. His reading of the game is as good as any hurler I've seen.

One thing I'd like to see develop from the mangement team is game management. Obviously, one of the tougher things to do in hurling. But, it can be done. I don't see why when we are 6 points up that the main opposition players are not double team marked - closing off their space - especially before half time. Players such as Ritchie Hogan can have a marker and someone dropping back to stand in the five yards in front of the forward. I'm a big fan of Tipp's 15 on 15 and playing fantastic hurling. But, there are periods in a game where you can put the foot on the throat and just lock down a game - if you're 6 points up with 10 to 5 mins left before half time. It just makes sense that you double the frustration of the opposition's main players - make them miss - make them shoot from impossible angles - i have horrible premonitions of going into games where there is no plan for Tony Kelly and then we are reacting to a situation that is already in flight. I just think it's the next level for this management, calling a more level-headed management of the game when things are going well so we don't get pulled into exciting but crazy shoot-outs. After we've had our purple patch we can lock teams down a bit.

danganabu wrote: »
    Cian is the guy who was FF on the U21's a few years back, Brian is the goalkeeper. Mooney was very static for all three goals really and his puckouts are far too predictable and high.

Apologies Brian I meant your dead right i remember Cian

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Apologies Brian I meant your dead right i remember Cian

As far as I know Brian has a broken hand, he was named as sub keeper for the Clare game but Gleeson was on the bench the last two days.

"A man as shrewd as (Michael) Ryan will by now realise that, although the scoreboard said that the game ended in a draw, it was a contest that Kilkenny won comprehensively."

Loughnane does write some rubbish in his column for that terrible newspaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

"A man as shrewd as (Michael) Ryan will by now realise that, although the scoreboard said that the game ended in a draw, it was a contest that Kilkenny won comprehensively."

I suspect it's the case that he garbles off some tosh over the phone to a ghost writer who then spews it onto the page in some sort of acceptable arrangement. Money for old rope if you can get it!

He could just have said it was a moral victory for Kilkenny, that's a fairly arguable position right there. Instead they've just butchered the English language and made him look a fool.

Wow, Kilkenny are incredible. Even when they go eight points down and eventually draw a league game they can win comprehensively :rolleyes:

More sh1te from Loughnane. Maybe we'll need more lessons from Clare on how to retain the All Ireland like he suggested a few years back. :D

Laughable. That said though our own version of Loughnane, Babs, said Kilkenny's well was drying the other day. More nonsense

Loughnane will often slate teams in the paper but when he sits down on The Sunday Game beside a man from a recently slated county, he's not vicious at all in his criticism. He's all about himself, he provided Galway with great motivation before they bet Clare last summer, no pundit with half a brain would do that.

Any word on the prognosis for Brendan Maher?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 219 ✭✭PlayByTheRules

What do ye think about Kieran Bergin's chances of getting back onto the panel. He certainly added a lot of energy when brought on the last day. Might be a bit older than most the panel at this stage but he is certainly pushing himself.

Bergin has been dropped off the panel?

If he hasn't been....

I can't see any danger of him being let off the panel. He is getting game time. Hence is in the top 20. How he would jump into being NOT on the panel would be quite a leap...

Bergin has been dropped off the panel?

If he hasn't been....

I can't see any danger of him being let off the panel. He is getting game time. Hence is in the top 20. How he would jump into being NOT on the panel would be quite a leap...

Id imagine PBTR may have meant getting onto the team. He is certainly putting his hand up. 3 solid displays and very unlucky to be dropped against Clare and not to start against the Cats

• Advertisement

Id imagine PBTR may have meant getting onto the team. He is certainly putting his hand up. 3 solid displays and very unlucky to be dropped against Clare and not to start against the Cats

I thought he was terrible against Dublin, don't think midfield suits him at all but Mick doesn't see him as a half back option, which is his best position.

I thought he was terrible against Dublin, don't think midfield suits him at all but Mick doesn't see him as a half back option, which is his best position.

Probably. Kennedy can play midfield so another option would be to try Kennedy in the middle at some stage and revert Bergin to number 5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 219 ✭✭PlayByTheRules

Probably. Kennedy can play midfield so another option would be to try Kennedy in the middle at some stage and revert Bergin to number 5.

Yes I meant break onto the starting 15 come Championship. He's a very useful impact sub either way. Quick and always seems to have bundles of energy. He struggled with aerial players in the past like Richie Power & Larkin so can understand Ryan's concern with him in half-back line.

Curran was a little loose around the middle on second viewing. Breen wasnt as bad as originally looked and won alot of tussles that first half. he done quite a bit of covering too.

I'd like to see Bonner tried at midfield if O'Meara keeps up the center forward form...

He'd definitely get up and down - and the onus to score would be off him to an extent

Curran was good for his first go at midfield against tough opposition - he could develop yet...

This is not to suggest that Breen won't bounce back yet...

we know dan mccormack can do a job there - as i'm sure kennedy could... and Bergin.

Bergin seems a bit loose for the backs and a bit too nervous in front of goal...

Midfield I think is Bergin's best place - and he's a great option to have. He was good against Waterford.

But, I've an awful distrust of this league. Teams haven't really revealed their hands yet - most teams are training hard at this stage - even Waterford have pulled back from prioritising the league in terms of training hard through the league to peak for summer.

Jackie Cahill says Tipp were brought back down to earth on Saturday, which is ironic as the only Tipp person I've read or heard talking them up was the Bould Jackie himself.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/hurling/five-reasons-why-high-flying-tipperary-are-becoming-the-new-kilkenny-444874.html

• Advertisement

Mr Cahill seems like a good lad - not an amazing analyst. I wouldn't be pursuing his opinions on the game...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭klose

I havent met a single tipp person getting carried away with our league performances yet some outlets seem to think we all think we will stroll to another all ireland championship, tis a bit odd.!

In fairness there was a chap on here saying kilkenny were in big trouble just last week.

Jackie's alright, but yeah wouldn't be listening to him on hurling.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

I'd buck the trend here.
    I know Ger is being a bit sensationalist but he's not far wrong.
    You go 8 points up at home against your biggest rivals.....you wanna be sealing the deal.
    'Moral victory' to the cats I think. You have to credit them with how they fought back and rectified their errors. If the shoe were on the other foot and we fought back against them in Nolan park we'd be delighted. Then again our lads deserve credit for coming back themselves after going behind so late.

On the other hand, the result isn't as important as finding some new blood with which to infuse the team. Plus they couldn't beat us despite some of our big players not being on song.

It's clear that there's certain games each side targets. W'ford targeted the cats in Nolan park, cats targeted us in thurles. Would've been a bit happier if we'd a few more lads putting up their hands. The cork game will be shadow boxing for the summer. They won't be showing their hand and hopefully fellas like o Meara and Steve o brien continue to progress. Wonder will mike Cahill be starting in the summer...

I'll tell you what... John O'Keeffe put up his hand in that KK game. I thought...he was very good with the ball. I'd like to see him play in a league semi-final or final against a good player. Donagh and O'Keeffe will push Cahill... Cahill knows now he has to up it.

The pace of Barrett to bring ball out of the backs is missed big time - gives the team a serious dimension.

Cahill is the one Thurles man and back man on the inter-county tipp team that hasn't really bulked up...

• Advertisement

Maybe Cahill didn't want to bulk up after having carrying so many injuries in recent times, he's certainly one of the lighter players on the panel.

Maybe, he could just concentrate on leg days!

And, yoga...

Our Ladys in the final. Beat Kilkenny CBS by 3 points (24 pts to 2-15) and without Stevie Nolan. Very impressive stuff.

Best of luck to them vs St Kierans on Saturday week in Thurles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Our Ladys in the final. Beat Kilkenny CBS by 3 points (24 pts to 2-15) and without Stevie Nolan. Very impressive stuff.

Best of luck to them vs St Kierans on Saturday week in Thurles

It's amazing the way there'll be a few of those lads that will play senior for Tipp and Kk and there's no huu haa in the media like there is for the rugby senior cup competitions on Friday.

Not as much attention but it is increasing year on year. Mostly due to TG4 in fairness

Get Brian McGrath on that senior panel...ASAP... - he can cover nearly 8 positions. The sooner he gets on a top training panel the better. Pure class

digzy wrote: »
    It's amazing the way there'll be a few of those lads that will play senior for Tipp and Kk and there's no huu haa in the media like there is for the rugby senior cup competitions on Friday.

There is enough hu haa for rugby at the very top level tbf although the youngsters should get the extra exposure i agree.

Dont know much about what Kierans have coming (Blanchfield was the last big star) but we will definately see Cadell, Mcgrath, Nolan and perhaps one or two others in the future.

Get Brian McGrath on that senior panel...ASAP... - he can cover nearly 8 positions. The sooner he gets on a top training panel the better. Pure class

Id be reluctant to pick a school kid the way the game has gone but i would say he will make the panel next year in 2018 for sure. We have some conveyor belt of talent coming through. I hope we can convert it to success.

If we are at the business end of the season he may make it on the panel but id resist it for now. We have enough cover. A brilliant talent though ill agree and such a huge lad. A very intelligent hurler.

If you're good enough - you're old enough. Plenty of 18-year-olds have played senior championship. Look at Kingston and Austin Gleeson...

I'm not saying he'll make the team. But, being exposed to top-level habits and training - knowing the standard - will benefit any young lad long term.

If you're good enough - you're old enough. Plenty of 18-year-olds have played senior championship. Look at Kingston and Austin Gleeson...

I'm not saying he'll make the team. But, being exposed to top-level habits and training - knowing the standard - will benefit any young lad long term.

I know what you mean but if he is in his leaving cert year id leave him be until he is finished with that at least especially given that he will be involved with the Tipp under 21s this year. Id imagine any mcgrath will take to the standards like a duck to water if John or Noel are anything to go by especially John who is an absolute beast

• Advertisement

Black and Amber or Black and Tans?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Dont know much about what Kierans have coming (Blanchfield was the last big star)

Hopefully you'll see a few more coming through this year!
    From this year's team Mullen and Keoghan are the standouts for me. If he's selected, Brennan is another one for the future. He's only 15 though and is an outstanding soccer player so that could be where his future lies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

citykat wrote: »
    Hopefully you'll see a few more coming through this year!
    From this year's team Mullen and Keoghan are the standouts for me. If he's selected, Brennan is another one for the future. He's only 15 though and is an outstanding soccer player so that could be where his future lies.

I think Kierans will be slight underdogs for the final with a mostly new team this year but it should be a very good final.mullen looks a serious operator and if he keeps his head he should be on the senior panel in the next two years but if his held for Kieran's they could struggle for scores

brookville wrote: »
    I think Kierans will be slight underdogs for the final with a mostly new team this year but it should be a very good final.mullen looks a serious operator and if he keeps his head he should be on the senior panel in the next two years but if his held for Kieran's they could struggle for scores

Weird to see the word underdog against St Kierans of all schools when they are coming up against one of the smallest schools in the competition (if not the smallest) . For Templemore though i hope the stars align for them.

I'd like to see this side get a run in the league to see how it would go:

DG
    Barrett Barry Hamill
    Kennedy Maher Maher
    B Maher Bonnar
    S O’B N O’M Dan McC
    J MCG Callanan Bubbles

• Registered Users Posts: 4,073 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Team to play Offaly

1. Evan Comerford – Kilsheelan-Kilcash
    2. Alan Campbell – Moyle Rovers
    3. Paddy Codd – Killenaule
    4. Willie Connors – Kiladangan
    5. Emmett Moloney – Drom & Inch
    6. Robbie Kiely – Carbery Rangers
    7. Jimmy Feehan – Killenaule
    8. Liam Casey – Cahir
    9. Jack Kennedy – Clonmel Commercials
    10. Josh Keane – Golden-Kilfeacle
    11. Kevin O’Halloran – Portroe
    12. Brian Fox (Capt.) – Éire Óg Annacarty-Donohill
    13. Conor Sweeney – Ballyporeen
    14. Michael Quinlivan – Clonmel Commercials
    15. Philip Austin – Borrisokane

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

Barrett played a half for Holycross today in the County League.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭1eg0a3xv7b82of

Whatever about the penalties - the first goal was scored from nearly thirty yards. That's not good enough... - our own players could learn a lot from the way Reid strikes a peno. There's no reason why Bubbles or Callinan can't strike a peno like that - they seem to err on the placement side of things. It hasn't worked so far...

Mooney has developed throughout the league - he will learn a lot from Saturday night. He has a good career ahead of him if can keep developing at that rate.

Gleeson is a great keeper - and his ability to switch up puck outs and on the fly is important. He is an important ingredient. I know he has off field issues but it affect his performances last season. I'd back him...

The importance of Brendan Maher is not just as an individual talent but his support of the half back line and half forward line is a huge factor to making this team tick. He never stops running. But, whoever he plays beside benefits - a lot of our midfielder options don't look the same without him. They just don't the same confidence without him there, it seems. Certainly, no one has grown into a leadership role in midfield without Brendan there.

I'd keep Niall where he is - he is definitely a forward. A great hurling brain for the gap - especially finding players on the run. He is emerging as a serious alternative to Bonnar...a very different alternative which is even better. The way things are shaping up when it comes to starting against KK - I'd have noelie five on the half forward line list behind Dan, Bonnar, Niall, and Stephen. Just think they are better options against KK - in that kind of war of attrition- I'd have Noelie first on the list against almost anyone else. But, more often than not Noelie does not fire against KK. I think he came on with 20-15 minutes to go and the game is breaking up - it would suit him more.

I'd like to see Brian McGrath added to the panel. He is more than good enough - has enough hurling to cover most positions. He is a bit light at the moment - but a serious hurler. His reading of the game is as good as any hurler I've seen.

One thing I'd like to see develop from the mangement team is game management. Obviously, one of the tougher things to do in hurling. But, it can be done. I don't see why when we are 6 points up that the main opposition players are not double team marked - closing off their space - especially before half time. Players such as Ritchie Hogan can have a marker and someone dropping back to stand in the five yards in front of the forward. I'm a big fan of Tipp's 15 on 15 and playing fantastic hurling. But, there are periods in a game where you can put the foot on the throat and just lock down a game - if you're 6 points up with 10 to 5 mins left before half time. It just makes sense that you double the frustration of the opposition's main players - make them miss - make them shoot from impossible angles - i have horrible premonitions of going into games where there is no plan for Tony Kelly and then we are reacting to a situation that is already in flight. I just think it's the next level for this management, calling a more level-headed management of the game when things are going well so we don't get pulled into exciting but crazy shoot-outs. After we've had our purple patch we can lock teams down a bit.

But those off the field issues are very serious and you can see why glesson is not picked.
    The kk game was very good but kk looked much fitter and first peno was not a penalty and came at a time where tipp were well in control.
    Add in Barrett Maher Bonner and we are looking good for Liam again.
    The only real issue I could see was Mooney Did not move for the penalties and Reid's first goal was soft.
    But it seems he is our new keeper unless Gleason becomes available.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement