Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Calf prices 2016

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

Would I rnt ground to rear beef animals, no.
    would I pay labour to rear beef animals, no
    would I drive 5 miles to see them every day, no.
    if you rearing calves sell to the summer grazer in march/aprl
    dont go fattening unless youve got the money in the bank to do it
    an early calf is worth twice a later calf
    The right fr bull calf is the best paying animal bar none
    in the beef game you need to be thinking 12 months ahead
    silage is expensive, ration is cheap
    the best way a dairy farmer can make money out of beef is double r treble sucking high cell count cows(alot of money comes from qualifyingfor bonus)
    If you have the land, pay no labour ,have the housing already paid for qnd are a good stock person you will make money out of calves at this years prices

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Henwin

Hey, wat wud 2 week old pedigree registered Holstein Friedan heifer calves making at the mart anyone know, surplus to requirements here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,354 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Henwin wrote: »
    Hey, wat wud 2 week old pedigree registered Holstein Friedan heifer calves making at the mart anyone know, surplus to requirements here

All depends on breeding and ebi .if selling heifer cslves get them genotyped as well .could make as much as 500

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Ruxin

mahoney_j wrote: »
    All depends on breeding and ebi .if selling heifer cslves get them genotyped as well .could make as much as 500

How much is it to get them genotyed going to have a fair few surplus ones here as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭barnaman

50 to 40 euro per head for heifer calves. I think to get the 40 you have to get all 2016 calves tested.

• Advertisement

Ruxin wrote: »
    How much is it to get them genotyed going to have a fair few surplus ones here as well.

Females 30 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭marathon

Any prices on friesin bull calves?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭barnaman

Ruxin wrote: »

Females 30 euro
    Is that the price for pedigree registered? Pretty cheap at 30

barnaman wrote: »
    Is that the price for pedigree registered? Pretty cheap at 30

Plus 15 euro for cert from robbing backstards in the Ihfa .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭alps

Plus 15 euro for cert from robbing backstards in the Ihfa .

Stopped registering for this year.....not sure it's the right or wrong thing to do.....but it was a cost waiting to be cut....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

alps wrote: »
    Stopped registering for this year.....not sure it's the right or wrong thing to do.....but it was a cost waiting to be cut....

Didn't pay my IHFA membership for a good while (got lost between changing banks and direct debits), eventually got around to it, and the next month got in about 50 backdated certs and an 800quid bill, 2bh very sorry I didn't just ignore the bloody IHFA membership...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Brown Podzol

Timmaay wrote: »
    Didn't pay my IHFA membership for a good while (got lost between changing banks and direct debits), eventually got around to it, and the next month got in about 50 backdated certs and an 800quid bill, 2bh very sorry I didn't just ignore the bloody IHFA membership...

Wondering myself if it makes any difference. What's the benefit? Are pedigree registered commanding more compo in a tb breakdown? All ancestry details and records on ICBF anyway. Big book arrived in the post today from IHFA, personalised dairy cow report for 2016, all of which info is more readily avalaible from ICBF online. Salaries, pensions and reams of paper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Wondering myself if it makes any difference. What's the benefit? Are pedigree registered commanding more compo in a tb breakdown? All ancestry details and records on ICBF anyway. Big book arrived in the post today from IHFA, personalised dairy cow report for 2016, all of which info is more readily avalaible from ICBF online. Salaries, pensions and reams of paper.
    We got the big book today off icbf and didn't have to pay any ihfa membership

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,854 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Often wondered about the cost of postage on all those books. Another thing is there no communication between icbf and ihfa. Can they not do a check if a calf has died in the week or so after birth and when they do the cert. Have a good few certs here for calves that were dead when the cert arrived.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

marathon wrote: »
    Any prices on friesin bull calves?

Sold 5 Friesian bull calves in enniscorthy today from 100 to 145.
    Depends on the calf and who's around the ring.
    Neighbour got up to 210 for a Friesian bull calf but that was on a cow.
    Then other farmers were getting 60 and 70 for sharper softer calves.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭marathon

I am in the market for a few of them. The last time I was in enniscorthy the dealers were bidding up the friesens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Makes a huge difference in the event of a th breakdown. Milk recording and pedigrees are cheap insurance against losses in the event of a breakdown.

Was talking to my uncle from Newry today he is buying fr bull calves around 10 days old from £30-40 , angus £150

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

whelan2 wrote: »
    Was talking to my uncle from Newry today he is buying fr bull calves around 10 days old from £30-40 , angus £150
    I'm not surprised as there seems to be a price collapse for veal calves in Spain.

orm0nd wrote: »
    would you not have more customers if they were castrated ? usually sell ex yard here to repeat customers, none of them would touch bulls

Sold today
    Fr Bulls 385 kg 550
    Bb bull. 375 kg 890
    He Bulls 355 kg 735
    He bullocks 360 kg 870
    I should of castrated all the he Bulls .....,all he and Bb stock born March/early April 15 ,freisans born throughout Feb to mid March .nice ball of cash for such a huge amount of work ......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭joejobrien

Sold Fr bulls yesterday at Nenagh
    155 to 90
    Age 11 days to 18 days.
    Trade much faster in comparsion terms from week before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭red bull

What are limousin x heifer calves making

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Mulumpy

red bull wrote:
    What are limousin x heifer calves making

I bought six three week olds off a farm last week for 280 each.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭jfh

Mulumpy wrote: »
    I bought six three week olds off a farm last week for 280 each.

Good value there

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Butcher Boy

In skib mart today the ass is after falling out of the calf prices completely,plenty AA bulls and heifers for 150 and less .you would want a great fr bull to make 90 .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Sold today
    Fr Bulls 385 kg 550
    Bb bull. 375 kg 890
    He Bulls 355 kg 735
    He bullocks 360 kg 870
    I should of castrated all the he Bulls .....,all he and Bb stock born March/early April 15 ,freisans born throughout Feb to mid March .nice ball of cash for such a huge amount of work ......
    Was it worth rearing the friesians? Great weights for their age. Whoever bought them (fr) will surely have a few pound out of it.

Cavanjack wrote: »
    Was it worth rearing the friesians? Great weights for their age. Whoever bought them (fr) will surely have a few pound out of it.

Proab not but I have the land(fragmented )and sheds in place .i sold some other commerades of these last November ,weighed 100 kg less for circa 500 ,I'll be selling more next November ......all my freisans will be balanced out by some Bulls I'll be selling through April for breeding ,these will be going for 15/1800 each

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Bought six 5 week old AA bull calves for €320.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭farmerjj

Reggie. wrote: »
    Is that the going rate?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭moll3

neighbour bought 12 fr bulls 3 weeks old @ mart 40 euro each:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

How much milk will you give them before weaning ?

Reckon you got the deal of the year :)
    Calves are making that sort of money in the marts. Not much more milk to go into them. OAD from now if their not already on it.

Bullocks wrote: »
    How much milk will you give them before weaning ?

I wean them at 10 weeks if I can. Should be about 5 bags of milk needed

Base price wrote: »
    Reckon you got the deal of the year :)
    Calves are making that sort of money in the marts. Not much more milk to go into them. OAD from now if their not already on it.

That's the plan.

moll3 wrote: »
    neighbour bought 12 fr bulls 3 weeks old @ mart 40 euro each:eek:

Had lads ringing me to take FR calves off them or if I knew anyone looking for tgem

• Advertisement

Had lads ringing me to take FR calves off them or if I knew anyone looking for tgem
    Me, me, me ....

Me, me, me ....

What are you paying?

What are you paying?
    Depends on the calf and I would have to see them.
    Is Gerry or Kevin not buying from you for export?

Depends on the calf and I would have to see them.
    Is Gerry or Kevin not buying from you?

No a farmer from monaghan. Wanted ten has taken 20 so far! Paid on day so happy enough. Think he has enough now.

No a farmer from monaghan. Wanted ten has taken 20 so far! Paid on day so happy enough. Think he has enough now.
    Better off that way although the company that Gerry buys for pay within the week.
    Going to have a proper look and hopefully buy 20 odd FR bull calves from my dairy farmer friend that I gave Daisy's heifer too. Most of them are 3 weeks old. We collect/buy his JEx bull calves.

• Advertisement

Me, me, me ....

Talk to kevin. He has them

Talk to kevin. He has them
    Surprised that someone buying for an exporter is trying to make a profit. Not good practice in my book. Thankfully I'm not a dairy farmer selling FR bull calves to him.

Surprised that someone buying for an exporter is trying to make a profit. Not good practice in my book. Thankfully I'm not a dairy farmer selling FR bull calves to him.
    He normally fills orders for farmers too, wondering what price is being offered by exporter as people wont sell if price is really crap.

The exporters haven't come to him yet he said. These are local farmers ringing him to move them on.

The exporters haven't come to him yet he said. These are local farmers ringing him to move them on.
    Saves me ringing him so :cool:

Saves me ringing him so :cool:

He said his heart was broke with farmers ringing him to off load FR lately

Wonder is it the same Kevin we are talking about. The lad I'm thinking of is from Whelan's country.

Wonder is it the same Kevin we are talking about. The lad I'm thinking of is from Whelan's country.

Yep the same kevin S

Yep the same kevin S
    Nice lad. I thought that you may have meant the ex-con.
    I think the price for calves in Spain maybe affecting exports from here although I was talking to farmers that are selling calves to export agents.

Nice lad. I thought that you may have meant the ex-con.
    I think the price for calves in Spain maybe affecting exports from here although I was talking to farmers that are selling calves to export agents.

Mentioned that to him and he said he heard nothing about it

• Advertisement
Advertisement