Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Calf prices 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭mf240

This time last year we were been fined for sending in milk.

Milk is falling because oil grain ect are falling. it's will come back up eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Tomjim

385 for 6 bull calves good quality 6 weeks old

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

leg wax
    was there many calves in ross today and what sort of trade for the cont heifers and was there many coloured calves in the sale,

the main thing here is the dairy farmer doesnt want any body new in to their quota club and want big price for a crossbred calf, fair play to the new fellas that have got into cows (brave men)and spent money.
    a dairy bred calf has a set value only not the inflated price that the dairy farmer wants all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

Sold 9 fr bull calves in enniscorthy mart last week from 90 to 150 euro.

Didn't put a gun to anyones head to buy them.:)
    Getting weird here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

leg wax
    was there many calves in ross today and what sort of trade for the cont heifers and was there many coloured calves in the sale,

the main thing here is the dairy farmer doesnt want any body new in to their quota club and want big price for a crossbred calf, fair play to the new fellas that have got into cows (brave men)and spent money.
    a dairy bred calf has a set value only not the inflated price that the dairy farmer wants all the time.
    In fairness to dairy farmers we are only entering the first calving season post quota. I reckon that the realistic price/value of dairy bull calves (FR/FRx) will not settle for another year or so. One also has to bear in mind that prices for veal calves in Spain/Holland appear to have collapsed due to over supply from within other EU member states. Someone else referred to this previously.
    When Dawgone posted (about two weeks ago) that he was getting €16.50 a head for Feb born FRxLM bull calves to Spain then I knew that the writing was on the wall for dairy calf prices here.
    They were a dairy beef cross and have much reduced transport costs i.e. from France to Spain.
    How can any Irish exporter justify paying €80 + for straight FR's considering the costs involved in shipping them out of Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

Base price wrote: »
    In fairness to dairy farmers we are only entering the first calving season post quota. I reckon that the realistic price/value of dairy bull calves (FR/FRx) will not settle for another year or so. One also has to bear in mind that prices for veal calves in Spain/Holland appear to have collapsed due to over supply from within other EU member states. Someone else referred to this previously.
    When Dawgone posted (about two weeks ago) that he was getting €16.50 a head for Feb born FRxLM bull calves to Spain then I knew that the writing was on the wall for dairy calf prices here.
    He was only getting €16.50/hd for dairy-beef crosses and considering the lesser transport costs from France to Spain.
    How can any Irish exporter justify paying €80+++ for straight FR's considering the costs involved in shipping them out of Ireland.
    I noticed that Donedeal is full of ad's from farmers and dealers trying to sell FR bull calves.
    The manager told my father that it was only shippers that were buying the FR bull calves around the ring and they are paying these prices. They're not doing it at a loss otherwise wouldn't be buying.
    Ah it's only a bit of sport on this thread you'd nearly think boards was going to influence the price of calves in the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Tomjim wrote: »

Did ya sell off farm? What breed were they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,929 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Was that €385 each fro good quality cont types or €385 for the lot of Fr Holstein types?

I love the way on Dondeal every Holstein calf is described as a British Friesian.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,854 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

I think the money is to be made selling off farm, no mart fees. No spending ages at the mart and picking up diseases. Buyer and seller are winners. Lad that has been buying calves here has ordered calves from me in the autumn already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭mf240

Disease risk from buying in the mart is a big one.

A lot of lads that take calves to the mart won't bring them back home no matter how bad the price is and you couldn't blame them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

mf240 wrote: »
    Disease risk from buying in the mart is a big one.

A lot of lads that take calves to the mart won't bring them back home no matter how bad the price is and you couldn't blame them.

Being able to go into a farmers yard and buy your required amount of calves in batches disease free with not having to compete with dealers for batches of calves from god knows how many diffrent herds..that worth an extra €10-20 euro per head to me anyway

Ewes lambing have me busy this time of year and the closest calf sale is 25+ miles away from me. buying 30 good quality calves would take more than 1 trip to the mart with jeep and trailer..and would end up with calves from a few diffrent herds that i know nothing about health wise..im happy to pay €100 for a good BRITISH friesian bull calf 10-14 days old off a neibouring farmer that does there calves well..even happier giving €120 for one a month old that is harder and requires less powder milk!...lads might think im mad...maybe im am but sure we cant all be sensible!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭White Clover

Being able to go into a farmers yard and buy your required amount of calves in batches disease free with not having to compete with dealers for batches of calves from god knows how many diffrent herds..that worth an extra €10-20 euro per head to me anyway

Ewes lambing have me busy this time of year and the closest calf sale is 25+ miles away from me. buying 30 good quality calves would take more than 1 trip to the mart with jeep and trailer..and would end up with calves from a few diffrent herds that i know nothing about health wise..im happy to pay €100 for a good BRITISH friesian bull calf 10-14 days old off a neibouring farmer that does there calves well..even happier giving €120 for one a month old that is harder and requires less powder milk!...lads might think im mad...maybe im am but sure we cant all be sensible!!

For what it's worth, I think you're dead right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭davidk1394

What are people paying for 3 week old AA heifers out of friesan cows?

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭dave81

davidk1394 wrote: »
    What are people paying for 3 week old AA heifers out of friesan cows?

About 220-280 for 3-week old good ones. About 200 or less for lesser ones. That was the run at Cashel yesterday. My dad picked up a lovely square one for 240, much better than the ones I paid 300+ for last year.

I'm not a huge fan of marts but that Done Deal is useless for calves, its all dealers, with no disrespect to dealers, I need movements to a minimum and prefer to avoid anything that was previously in a mart. My part of Kildare isn't great for diary, mostly tillage, would rather buy off farmers direct for certain. Looking for 5 good continental bull calves for the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭davidk1394

dave81 wrote: »
    About 220-280 for 3-week old good ones. About 200 or less for lesser ones. That was the run at Cashel yesterday. My dad picked up a lovely square one for 240, much better than the ones I paid 300+ for last year.

I'm not a huge fan of marts but that Done Deal is useless for calves, its all dealers, with no disrespect to dealers, I need movements to a minimum and prefer to avoid anything that was previously in a mart. My part of Kildare isn't great for diary, mostly tillage, would rather buy off farmers direct for certain. Looking for 5 good continental bull calves for the moment.

I buy a lot of AA calves off a friends farm, his looking for 220 a piece. Cashel is a place everyone should experience. All it is, is organised chaos there. Bought 30 calves there last year took 2 hours to find them all.

I buy a lot of AA calves off a friends farm, his looking for 220 a piece. Cashel is a place everyone should experience. All it is, is organised chaos there. Bought 30 calves there last year took 2 hours to find them all.

Cashel is nuts alright. You need to bring help and bring a handy car trailer. As you buy, you need someone to follow it out and tip it into a pen near the exit, put them altogether or you will be looking all day. My brother comes along too and we pull then out and load asap. I don't know how lorries manage. Its lonely there in your own negotiating the madness!!

Meant to say David, 220 is a fair price for both of you. He saves a trip, commission and hassle. You save a trip, commission and disease risk. Would want to be good quality out of British Fresians. Your both doing well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Tomjim

3 BBX
    3 WHX

All good calves - I bought off a dealer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭farmerjj

3 BBX
    3 WHX

All good calves - I bought off a dealer

Brilliant thanks for letting us know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,051 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Thurles last week
    All 7 - 10 days old
    fr 145, 155, 85
    angus bulls out of heifers 180
    free Martin heifer 80
    jex twins small 80 and 20 (prob my best lot)
    15 in total

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭red bull

New mart for calves starting in Tuam Co Op mart on 14th March. A lot of new dairy farmers in that area,good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

kevthegaff wrote: »
    Thurles last week
    All 7 - 10 days old
    fr 145, 155, 85
    angus bulls out of heifers 180
    free Martin heifer 80
    jex twins small 80 and 20 (prob my best lot)
    15 in total

Jex on the card for the twins?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭RightTurnClyde

Any prices on 6 week Fr bull calves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 307 ✭✭oxjkqg

Selling off the farm so far.

2 week old FR Bulls 80 euro
    5 day old Whitehead bull 220
    10 day old Whitehead bulls and heifers 220
    10 day old angus bulls x 2, 200 a piece
    10 days old BB bulls 320 a piece
    2 week old BB heifer 330
    Weaker whiteheads of the same age getting 170 a piece.
    All advertised on Donedeal or through lads ringing word of mouth.
    Might not be the best prices in the world but im moving the calves as quick as i can and dont have to go to the mart.

Cash is also king :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,051 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Jex on the card for the twins?
    Lol no comment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭jfh

I'm buying dairy x calves to try to bring some milk back into cows but finding it near impossible to get anything right, very hard to buy off donedeal. I've bought a few, when I was viewing them, they were all out of AI sires or 4 star stock bull, but when I got them transferred over on agfood, all have no sire recorded. This has happened with 2 different farmers, can't understand why they can't put this down when registering them. Getting no satisfaction from either farmer, there so busy, whole point was to bring up star ratings, damn frustrating

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭visatorro

Four autumn born calves and one yearling bull 1550 euro in the yard.

visatorro wrote: »
    Four autumn born calves and one yearling bull 1550 euro in the yard.
    what breed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭lab man

Listowel 250 plus for nice aax calves on wed

200 wh heifer 1 week old
    85 fr bull 10 days old

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭lab man

Wat mart whelans ?

lab man wrote: »
    Wat mart whelans ?
    out of yard to a farmer, havent been to mart yet this year .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Milked out

Anyone have any prices for 4 month old fr bulls and 6wk old he and aa.?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Count Mondego

Father was in Athenry yesterday. He couldn't get over the quantity of trash calves on show. Any half decent AAx or LMx was around the 340 mark.

Father was in Athenry yesterday. He couldn't get over the quantity of trash calves on show. Any half decent AAx or LMx was around the 340 mark.

I'd say lads are just sending in calves younger with no quota.

Was talking to a lad who was in Ardee mart last week. Lots of calves getting no bids at all. He got 50 Euro for fr bulls

whelan2 wrote: »
    what breed?

Fr. Hereford bull I bought only yielded four calves. Not a wonderful return.

visatorro wrote: »
    Fr. Hereford bull I bought only yielded four calves. Not a wonderful return.
    feck, did you let the seller know? Do you still have the bull?

whelan2 wrote: »
    feck, did you let the seller know? Do you still have the bull?

Oh he's still here. There was two friesians in with him. He was always interested but abit like myself left the night club alone most of the time!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 214 ✭✭Insp. Harry Callahan

Got a batch of 32 freisan bull calves there on Friday , top quality calves, no pointy arses. 1 month old, 170 each left in shed

• Advertisement

Got a batch of 32 freisan bull calves there on Friday , top quality calves, no pointy arses. 1 month old, 170 each left in shed

Good FR are as profitable as any animal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Good FR are as profitable as any animal!

Shh don't be telling them!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭fanadman1

Can somebody tell me the price of good quality hex heifer calfs about a month old. Im talking out of british fr cows real cow makers. Was talking to a dealer today and just want to have an idea of money ha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭red bull

Tuam Mart calf sale yesterday lively trade
    Fr bulls up to €150
    AAx bulls up to €340
    Lmx Bulls €280

fanadman1 wrote: »
    Can somebody tell me the price of good quality hex heifer calfs about a month old. Im talking out of british fr cows real cow makers. Was talking to a dealer today and just want to have an idea of money ha.

€280-320. But if you are looking for replacements and they are the real deal they would be worth a few more quid.

Anyone know what Fr bull calves 6-8 weeks are making. Have kept on to the males here and have had one or two lads poking around looking to buy but havnt a notion what they're making.
    Any ideas?

Anyone know what Fr bull calves 6-8 weeks are making. Have kept on to the males here and have had one or two lads poking around looking to buy but havnt a notion what they're making.
    Any ideas?

6wk old fr to bandon Mon 125, thought they were good for their age but depends on day in there. Sold aa bull and heifer for 250 apiece last Mon as well

Milked out wrote: »
    6wk old fr to bandon Mon 125, thought they were good for their age but depends on day in there. Sold aa bull and heifer for 250 apiece last Mon as well

Who ever bought the Fr got value. If that's the go for 6+ weeks ill hold them for another while. They have 75€ euros of milk gone into them at this stage. Think I'll bring them to 125kgs and review then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Dawggone

Who ever bought the Fr got value. If that's the go for 6+ weeks ill hold them for another while. They have 75€ euros of milk gone into them at this stage. Think I'll bring them to 125kgs and review then

I wouldn't be giving calves away too cheaply. The Bluetongue zone is now covering the vast majority of France baring the very north, and as the weather heats up it is sure to fall. This excludes a lot of calves for the veal market in Spain and Italy, so demand by exporters should rise.

• Advertisement

Dawggone wrote: »
    I wouldn't be giving calves away too cheaply. The Bluetongue zone is now covering the vast majority of France baring the very north, and as the weather heats up it is sure to fall. This excludes a lot of calves for the veal market in Spain and Italy, so demand by exporters should rise.

Not in a position to hold on to them ground or time wise, if I'm clear in the test tomorrow everything old and strong enough to go will be gone Mon week. Was locked up Oct 12 to sep13 and had 70 extra bull and beef calves knocking around right pain in the hole

Advertisement