Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fostering Query

Options
  • 17-12-2015 1:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Good evening.

My husband and I have applied to be foster carers. we have made the initial application. we have children of our own so will be looking to foster a child between the ages of 0 & 4 years.

I don't have any baby items anymore, I gave them away after I had my last child. My question is, if you get a call to take a baby are you expected to have all of the baby items ready and waiting, even though the call may be for a 4 year old who wouldn't need those things? It may seem like a really stupid question, sorry!!!

Regards

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

The child may come with their own clothes/ toys but I reckon you would be expected to have some bits and pieces to make them feel at home. At the very least you should have a travel cot/ bed. It would also show your commitment to a new child in your home if you were prepared with the basics. Your link worker will be able to advise you better if you are successful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Fair play to you, wish there were more foster parents!

I've donated a lot of my baby items to people in the irish foster care association, so there may be services for you to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Fran678

ElleEm wrote: »
    The child may come with their own clothes/ toys but I reckon you would be expected to have some bits and pieces to make them feel at home. At the very least you should have a travel cot/ bed. It would also show your commitment to a new child in your home if you were prepared with the basics. Your link worker will be able to advise you better if you are successful.

Thanks, I have those basics, we often have family/friends stay over with their kids so I have enough to get by in the first instance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Did you apply through an agency or directly to the hse? If you applied through an agency then they will usually contact you by phone for an informal chat within a few days of receiving your application and it gives you a chance to ask about these kind of things. I think you would at the very least need a cot/travel cot at the ready. You also need to have a separate bedroom available for the child you will be fostering, ie they must have their own bedroom and cannot be sharing with one of your own kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Fran678

Did you apply through an agency or directly to the hse? If you applied through an agency then they will usually contact you by phone for an informal chat within a few days of receiving your application and it gives you a chance to ask about these kind of things. I think you would at the very least need a cot/travel cot at the ready. You also need to have a separate bedroom available for the child you will be fostering, ie they must have their own bedroom and cannot be sharing with one of your own kids.

We have applied through the HSE. We have had the screening visit so just have to send off the Garda clearance and referee information and see how it goes from there!

I just never thought to ask when social worker was here!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Fran678 wrote: »
    We have applied through the HSE. We have had the screening visit so just have to send off the Garda clearance and referee information and see how it goes from there!

I just never thought to ask when social worker was here!!

I know people who are foster parents, and literally had a baby was dropped off to them one day after a few hours notice by phone. I would have some basic stuff ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭SMJSF

I am not a foster parent or SW, I've been through the system for 10 years!!

In some situations, you may not get "the baby" or a child within your criteria as such.
    When I was in HSE care (waaaay before it changed to TUSLA), it was down to suitability, experience, and the childs need.
    A large amount of children who do go into care as a baby, are drug dependent/ physically abused/severely neglected/physically or intellectually disabled, etc. Some people who have no prior experience with cases like this, struggle, and do "hand back" the child within weeks or months. Has your key/placement worker has suggested thinking about doing respite to start with?? That's taking someone in for a small amount of time - a week/weekend - a child moving between placements, a break from the current home, etc.

As a person who has been through it and wish to god I could take over the show, don't be choosy in the age!
    Its not fair on the others who are in more need of a home, and your family could suit, but the kid might be out of your "range", and he/she might be waiting for another 2 years for another family.

& take ALL the training that is offered!!!!! it doesn't matter if its about teen pregnancy! You might end up getting a call at 10pm one night from a night duty worker or a garda, asking you to take a pregnant teenager for a few nights who might have gotten beaten or kicked out of her home/placement that night.

Just please don't keep the cards too close to your chest!!

good luck! (-:

Advertisement