Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Songs you can't listen to because they are too emotional for you

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭La.de.da

Another here for Mike and the mechanics. The living years.My ma's favourite song. She's in the grips of alziemhers now.

Smile... Nat king Cole gets me too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

Apart from all of this thread.

Mike and the Mechanics:(

This.

I can't even get half way through.

Thanks OP :o

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Listrydude

Neil young - A Man needs a Maid. Listened to this a lot as I dealt with a very hard chapter in my life at the start of the year. It's not even the lyrics, the piano is haunting, but the refrain 'When will I see you again' always gets me. Makes me thing of my Angel!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Fix you for sure makes me sad
    Have you ever seen the rain by rod Stewart is a song that reminds me of the night my mother died, remember sitting in my car, too withered to go back inside, family everywhere, over bearing family who weren't around when she was well and healthy but tried take over in the 11th hour. Sitting in the car on my own hitting that song on repeat trying to get away from it, them, everything.
    Thankfully it's a **** song so I don't hear it too often

Tears in heaven is also a song I don't think I could listen to in its entirety.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭mattP

Buzzcut Season by Lorde.
    I was in a terrible place. Everything in my life was falling to **** - on the inside, from the outside it all looked fine, and that only made it feel worse. That's why the song hits me so hard, its like the epitome of teenage escapism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭MyStubbleItches

reminds me of the night my mother died, remember sitting in my car, too withered to go back inside, family everywhere, over bearing family who weren't around when she was well and healthy but tried take over in the 11th hour.

I'm kind of laughing at this (not in an insulting way), reminds me of the day my mom died. My father (who died 2 years later), my sister and I were gathered around her bed as she was in her final moments. None of the three of us are remotely religious, quite anti-church really. Mom literally takes her final breath as we're all bawling and in burst three old biddies with rosary beads and bibles, wailing and moaning and beseeching god (I refuse to grant a capital 'g') and all the angels to welcome her blah, blah, blah. They literally pushed us out of the way so they could take over. I remember looking at my sister and the look on her face, this is what brought the giggle just now.

My father, two years later, when he knew his time was close, told every nurse, doctor, porter, cleaner, etc. in the hospital not to let that crowd of interfering, sanctimonious so-and-sos anywhere near him after he lost consciousness or after he died. Although I didn't really pull too well with Dad, he made me proud that day. 😄😄

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

DareGod wrote: »
    My greatest fear is my mother dying. I have no desire to continue living without her. I have no idea how people go on without their mothers. I suppose that having a lover/spouse/child helps. I have none of those things, and I have no desire to have any of those things right now. My point is: I have no idea how you guys do it. My own mother was extremely close to her mother, who died when my mam was in her mid 30s. Last year I asked my mam how she coped with losing her mother, who she was so close to. I can't really remember her response, probably because it wasn't the answer I was hoping for.

Try to ignore my ramblings. Long story short, I'm sure that losing ones mother is one of the toughest experiences in the world, and I hope that you guys are okay. Lets all be in this together.

Not to belittle your feelings, but I found in those situations you can actually surprise yourself, you'll be surprised at how your own body will protect you from trauma it knows it can't cope with if you fully process it.
    If you replace mother with father, I could have written your post 2.5 years ago.

Without a shadow of a doubt, my father was my best friend in the whole world. We were unbelievably close. He was amazing. My mother died 9 years ago and although I was sad and distraught, I was also (God forgive me) relieved it was my mom and not my dad that died. It also made me even more paranoid that he was next, and the next time, there wouldn't be anyone to sit with me in the front pew to hold my hand, there wouldn't be anyone to sit with me in the funeral home holding my hand. Even on the days that we had to say goodbye to my mother, that was the only thing I can recall being on my mind.

For the next 7 years I was paranoid out of my tree that my dad was going to die.
    My mother was 44 when she died and was sick for maybe 3/4 days so, I knew there didn't have to be a warning. It could just happen, anytime any place.
    Once a year I made him go to the doctor, he'd laugh at me but he'd humor me.
    St Stephens night and New Year's Eve night were all nights my friends would go out but I was always so paranoid they'd be his "last years" that I'd stay with him and we would go out together. I tried to make every birthday special, every Christmas. And honestly, now I wish I wasn't so paranoid or I wish I hadn't let fear be the main feeling I had. I should have just enjoyed being with my dad and not worried.

About two months before he was diagnosed with cancer, I knew he was sick. I had a really close friend who I could have said anything to back then, and even him - I couldn't bring myself to even say the words out. I was afraid of him going to the doctor, I knew deep down what was coming. It was coming up to Xmas. I was like a lunatic, snapping, acting crazy. Taking it out on everyone else.
    I snapped at this friend one evening, over nothing I can't even remember over what, but obviously needed to apologise, and drove 2.5 hours to tell him why I was so stressed out. 2.5 hours of a drive to avoid having to type 6 letters. Cancer. I couldn't even bring myself to put it in a text.
    It was a few weeks before Xmas, my friend convinced me that it might not be cancer, it might not be as serious as I'd worked myself up to thinking it was.
    So, off he went to his doctor. She sent him for an X-ray and I was in work, not able to sleep, eat, think, concentrate. I knew his dr wouldn't tell me anything but never the less, I made an appointment to see her over something stupid. And while I was there. I just blurted it out "I think my dad is going to die". And knowing how paranoid I can be, I needed her to tell me I was paranoid, or at least jumping the gun. But she didn't. She looked at me with sad eyes and said "he has become quite frail, hasn't he?" And stressed how important it was for him to have that X-ray done. I knew there and then, deep down - I knew she thought the same.

We left the X-ray until after Christmas. Tried make Xmas good for him. But I was so stressed out I was hospitalised a couple of times with tachycardia- basically my pulse and my blood pressure went up way too high and it was brought on by pure panic.

But - when he was diagnosed, although I was an absolute mess - Self medicating, over indulging in alcohol/anything I could get my hands on - you become stronger than you think. You deal with what's before you and worry about what's to come later. Despite him being sick and it being a horrible year, I have pretty good memories with him his last few months. We had a pretty good summer, we had great chats,

When he passed away, I think most people commented on how calm I was. He will be 2 years dead tonight (well, 2am tomorrow morning). By 9am, I had called the undertaker, and got the funeral plans rolling. Chose the nicest coffin they had for him. Picked the flowers. Had his clothes ready. Had my brothers suit ready. Had my clothes ready. Everything was organised, and perfect, and ready to go. No tears, no hysterics, nothing.
    I think my friends were waiting for an absolute meltdown, but nothing.
    I don't think I even cried when he was buried. I drank all that day, no tears. My friend stayed with me that night and there were tears in the middle of the night, but that was the first time.

It's pretty much 2 years to the day - and little by little it's like my body lets me deal with it a little more. I know it sounds stupid, but I do honestly believe you don't know your own strength until you have to know it. When he died, I had nobody left either, and I'm pretty sure I put in his Christmas card that we put into coffin with him, that I would be with him soon.

But, you do cope. Maybe not in the healthiest way (drugs, drinking, one night stands, being cold, not talking about things, burying your head in the sand, blocking it out and keeping yourself distracted) but, you do cope.

I'm sorry, I hope I haven't trivialised how you feel because I do understand exactly how you feel, but things will be okay, very far into the future when you do have to deal with it. Enjoy every single moment, silly story, leave nothing unsaid because to be honest I think that prob helped me the most, knowing (even though it was out of paranoia) that I had so many fun times with my dad, knowing so much about people I didn't even know because they were dead before I was born, but there was nothing that was left unsaid and it's the most comforting thing in the world. You will be okay. <3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

A Hot 8 Brass band cover of 'Sexual Healing'. The last song I danced to with my good old pal at a mutual friend's wedding in Toronto eighteen months ago. That was the last time I would see him. He died suddenly in an accident three months later.

Boy did we dance though. We destroyed that dance floor. Drunken, happy, hysterical, energetic, frenzied, uninhibited zero-fcuks-given dancing complete with trumpet gestures. Everything that he was.

It's not a well-known cover so I don't hear it often at all. However a few months ago I was strolling through Vauxhall tube station in London and walked head first into a brass band belting this out for delighted passing commuters. As I was passing to my mortification one of the musicians grabbed me and twirled me around to the music for a good five minutes.

I cried the whole way home. I knew my mate would've gotten a kick out of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Music can have a big emotional impact on me. There are songs I just can't listen to any more. They remind me of a particular time in my life.
    When I was in college many moons ago I discovered Ryan Adams. Tom Dunne was playing Come Pick Me Up on the radio. It will be forever associated with a magical time in my life when everything was new and shiny. It's strange because even though the memories associated with it are happy it gives me quite the jolt to hear it. Still love Ryan Adams. I used to dream about him! :pac:

Yield by Pearl Jam. That album is another one that plunges me back in time. Damn I can feel an ache even as I type this. So many memories all tied up with music. My mam sang all the time. She would be making the dinner or coming in the door and would always have a song. Danny Boy was her favourite. She's in a nursing home now in the clutches of alzheimers and she still remembers some of the words. She doesn't remember me but she can still sing a bit of that song.

I could write an essay here! My best friend and me were walking back from college years ago singing "Ms Jackson". The Outkast song. We were doing a little dance at the same time. Not a care in the world. Something about that moment that solidified our friendship. I was talking to her on the phone last night, 13 years later.

One more. Adele's previous album. The year everything changed. Donegal. I spent a summer there. It was one of pure escapism. It was also the summer before embarking on a Masters. Everything worked out in the end :)

Advertisement