Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Volunteering Christmas Day

Options
  • 17-12-2015 9:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭

Hello everyone,

I'll be alone Christmas day and with nothing to do. Does anyone know of a place where I could maybe volunteer with the homeless or the elderly?

I know it's short notice.

Comments

Not homeless or elderly but Cope are looking for volunteers to organise their Christmas day swim.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,453 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Check out Simon Galway or Galway Simon Community (can't remember the internet name). Homeless charity. They always do something for Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

AFAIK, no one will accept you at this late stage: you need to be garda vetted in order to work with vulnerable people, so their regular volunteers do it all.

Apparently the Crane on Christmas Eve is the place to be for "orphan's Christmas" - almost all other pubs in town close up early, you need to be in by 6pm ish, and are out 8-ish.

Then do or help with the swim on Christmas Day. (Remember, no buses so you need to get there under your own steam.)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Even if they're isn't a chance to help out at the swim you should go along anyway. I'm sure there are people who will be happy to chat and be a bit of company. You never know who's day you might brighten by having a chat too, I'm sure other people who are on their own for the day will turn up to get out of the house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

AFAIK, no one will accept you at this late stage: you need to be garda vetted in order to work with vulnerable people, so their regular volunteers do it all.

Garda vetting takes absolutely ages (1-2 years) especially if you lived abroad. It's a bit of a farce really.
    Many places will accept you once you fill out and submit the form.

• Advertisement
Advertisement