Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Steam Christmas Sale Dec 22 - Jan 4

• 17-12-2015 3:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Just a headsup folks, make your plans for it. ;)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

steamwallet_174441.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,752 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

maxresdefault.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,566 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I still can't get over that John Travolta meme, makes me laugh every time. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

I've never been less excited for a Steam sale as I am for this one. No community vote or flash sales, nothing on my wishlist likely to be heavily discounted... I can only hope there's some idiotic side game involving trading and badge crafting. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,553 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Some total war DLC to buy if that shows up but overall I'm good.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭TetraxShard

Just Minecraft: Story Mode, South Park Stick of Truth and maybe War for the Overworld for me thanks. And the badge, of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Setting myself a budget this time. Main priority is to get Phantom Pain at least. Maybe grab a couple of more of my wishlist too.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Same rules as usual though: buy much play none?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,912 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

We get these threads 3=4 times a year for the past few years now.
    Immediately the same posts and memes appear...and then the

-I gotta hide my wallet / lose my card
    -I already have too many games
    -I'm waiting for XYZ to go on sale, hopefully it will

Am I the only one not excited for STEAM sales anymore ? (probably because list most I have a backlog of games to work through and don't want to add more unecessarily......but probably still will)
    Also due to the rise of so many 'serial/cd key' sites and the likes of GOG, that make games pretty much just as cheap all year round

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,313 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Not forgetting the last one was less than a month ago. Would there be much difference?

Steam has 2 main sales, the summer sale and the Christmas sale, so expect more from this one than the one last month.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CraigM84

ah steam sales :) the time when you spend and then not play what ya get for about 6 months and then one day 'oh yeah forgot i had that!!'

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

CraigM84 wrote: »
    ah steam sales :) the time when you spend and then not play what ya get for about 6 months and then one day 'oh yeah forgot i had that!!'
    I've tried to buy Witcher 2 at least twice on sales now (while owning it :o )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,539 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I cringe at those Gabe Newell/Steam memes/gifs that gets trotted out at every sale.
    They're universally awful (apart from John Travolta).

Having said that, I have about 20 items in my wishlist, so we'll see what happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Mr E wrote: »
    I cringe at those Gabe Newell/Steam memes/gifs that gets trotted out at every sale.
    They're universally awful (apart from John Travolta).

Here you go so.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I won't buy much this sale...is something that a try to convince myself of every time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

If tabletop sim gets 50% or more I'm definitely gonna nab it. Want to play Omega Virus and Key to the Kingdom.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

I'd be tempted by Killing Floor 2 and Elite. Though for the latter, I'd presume a good flight stick needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mahoganygas

I took a break from PC gaming for about 10 years then came back to it about 2 years ago.

I'm lucky because there are so many great games from the past decade that I'm still only just discovering. Steam sales are a fantastic opportunity for me to pick up quality old games for pennies.

I haven't spent more than €15 on a game. Why pay €60 on Fallout 4 when I have the fallout back catalogue to get through first?

I'm lucky to be stuck in this time warp :)

• Advertisement

What is everyone hoping for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,648 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Given up on games due to RL issues. But I'm pissed that I missed Cities: Skylines in the last sale so am hoping for 50% off again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

Manach wrote: »
    I'd be tempted by Killing Floor 2 and Elite. Though for the latter, I'd presume a good flight stick needed.
    a good flight stick really improves this game no end but a tflight hotas x is cheap but really good one, can be picked up on amazon for around €40 new although cex does have them from time to time

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Links234 wrote: »

Hoping to get the dreampack 2 and 3 for Assetto Corsa at a good price, nothing else really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mahoganygas

Links234 wrote:

MGS5
    Hard West
    Pillars of Eternity
    Undertale
    Kerbal (currently at -40% ...Will it go lower?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,313 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Resident Evil HD

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

MGS5
    Hard West
    Pillars of Eternity
    Undertale
    Kerbal (currently at -40% ...Will it go lower?)
    I'd be surprised to not see Kerbal go for a 60 or 75% discount.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Kerbal was only released this year. Think anything above 50% off would be surprising.

Carmageddon is what I'm looking for. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭ionapaul

I've my eye on three games for the most part:

The Witcher 3 (it was at €29.99 recently, will probably pick it up at this if it doesn't drop further)
    GTA V (it's actually currently on sale at €35, which is above my 'comfort zone' for a game that's been out as long as it has! Not sure if I'll pick it up at a €30+ price, but would definitely do so below this)
    Fallout 4 (would only get it with a decent discount, so doubtful this will be happening in the forthcoming sale!)

• Advertisement

I've already got my most wanted, Witcher 3 and Undertale, as Christmas presents from my girlfriend, and my next most wanted is Life is Strange, which might be in the Square Enix Myster Box. Other than that, I'm hoping for a decent discount on Sunless Sea.

Hard West looks great, and might be seriously tempting, but I think I might wanna hold off on that because I've got Valkyria Chronicles, and picked up XCom: Enemy Within a while back too. We'll see what looks interesting. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,912 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

ionapaul wrote: »
    I've my eye on three games for the most part:

The Witcher 3 (it was at €29.99 recently, will probably pick it up at this if it doesn't drop further)
    GTA V (it's actually currently on sale at €35, which is above my 'comfort zone' for a game that's been out as long as it has! Not sure if I'll pick it up at a €30+ price, but would definitely do so below this)
    Fallout 4 (would only get it with a decent discount, so doubtful this will be happening in the forthcoming sale!)

Witcher 3 - 18 euro
    GTA 5 - 26 euro
    Fallout 4 - 36

http://www.g2play.net/catalogsearch/result/index/?q=fallout+4

Other sites are probably cheaper. You can use allkeyshop.com to compare prices, which makes these STEAM sales pretty redundant.

https://ie.trustpilot.com/review/www.g2play.net

G2play and the like are pretty dodgy, unauthorized resellers, and I'd personally stay away from them. A friend had a game he bought through one of these sites removed from his library, and he had no recourse. They can be cheaper, but you're still rolling the dice, and you've no idea the origin of those keys.

I don't doubt a lot of folks have had good experiences, but I'd advise caution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

What a bunch of moaning norahs. Gordon Bennett! Y'is ungrateful 1st world spoilt brats!

"Eeeer neeeer a sale, I must complain about discounts cos I have too much crap"

"This is worse than the time I got free stuff from U2"

"Save me, save me from the memes, lawl I cringed so bad. I'm so important and have everything"

If I had my way. Each and everyone one of ye would be getting nowt else but a lump of coal and not a drop of smoking bishop nor sticky toffee pudding come chrimbybow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I never go near any of the grey market sites. Dont like the fact the key that i would be buying may not work. I've heard too many stories of people being shafted by those sites.

Mint Aero wrote: »
    What a bunch of moaning norahs.

Honestly, it's always the way with these things, people remember their first big Steam sale where they splurged out and got loads of great games, and get disillusioned with concurrent sales because they've already got all or most of the games they want. People have been saying the same thing for years, it's nothing new at all. I've seen some people already turn around and say how Humble Bundle has gone to ****. It hasn't, it's just that you probably won't match the same excitement as your first bundle, there's very few bundles I've been interested in at all, but there's still great things to be had, that Capcom bundle was amazing for example.

Even the sale last month had some downright incredible deals, what was it, 85% off Wolfenstein: The New Order. There were some huge discounts and great deals, it was pretty impressive and wasn't even one of the main sales. But people are going to complain, because that's just the way with these things, nothing will ever come close to their first Steam sale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

If I had my way.

Well...luckily you dont:)

rant

Haha, is this is a joke or something? This lad talks like a walking meme of an irish fella.

Either way, this is the thread for talking about steam sales (and other sales for comparison by proxy) for users who want to explore the fruits of a competitive market so if you don't like it maybe don't enter such threads. Sure I think Tesco are selling 2 year old games for 59.99 maybe you should hang around there :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭weisses

Origin has their Holiday sale as well just got BF premium very cheap (didn't want to start a separate thread)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

I'm hoping Ori and the Blind Forest might go on sale for closer to a tenner. Will probably pick up Undertale whether it goes on sale or not, supposed to be fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Marcus Antonius

B*llocks! Why didn't I see this a few mins ago, just bought the new Football manager...what are the odds it'll be half price on the sale?! Thanks for the heads up anyhow. I will be investing in a few games no doubt

• Advertisement

If you ask for a refund so you can buy it on sale they might oblige. I know steam even do that now and they have terrible history for customer service.

Arkham Knight under a tenner may, just may make me risk buying the disease ridden, bug infested and machine choking turd (which hides a great game)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,063 ✭✭✭Doge

Im looking for Elite and Assetto Corsa to go on sale again and maybe other racing games.

Not sure if assetto corsa will go lower than the 40% sale a few days ago though.

Anyone know what time the sale goes live here btw?

Doge wrote: »
    Im looking for Elite and Assetto Corsa to go on sale again and maybe other racing games.

Not sure if assetto corsa will go lower than the 40% sale a few days ago though.

It was crazy low last year. One of my buys yet to be played

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Sarn

Sale traditionally starts at 6 pm here.

7pm according to this site, daylight savings time probably puts your estimate forward an hour. :)

https://steamdb.info/sales/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

Added a few indies to my wishlist. Don't expect any of the AAA titles I'm interested in to get much of a discount as they're so new.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Doge wrote: »
    Anyone know what time the sale goes live here btw?

Normally 6pm?

Actually guys youre right, the sale is at 6pm, i cant count it seems!

• Advertisement
Advertisement