Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Steam Christmas Sale Dec 22 - Jan 4

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭sirboby

would anyone recomend CS:GO? heard good things, its 6,99@50% off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

cruizer101 wrote: »
    Can't really get them all :(:confused:

Out of the games you mentioned I've played Hard West and Invisible Inc, and can recommend both. Hard West I don't think I need to say anything more about, but Invisible Inc is interesting even just for the fact it's a turn based stealth game, and the levels are randomly generated, which definitely adds to the challenge. I can't say I played anything quite like it. It's very similar to Satellite Reign in tone, you have the corporate espionage and infiltration, the cyberpunk thing going on, quite a good game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

sirboby wrote: »
    would anyone recomend CS:GO? heard good things, its 6,99@50% off.

Yeah, I've gotten into it over the last few weeks and it's great. If you're not familiar with FPS games (or in any way good - COD doesn't count!) then the first few weeks will be a brutal learning curve. Expect to die a lot, and youtube is your best friend for learning. You'll need to put the work in early to start improving by learning the recoil patterns, smokes, flashes, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Yeah, I've gotten into it over the last few weeks and it's great. If you're not familiar with FPS games (or in any way good - COD doesn't count!) then the first few weeks will be a brutal learning curve. Expect to die a lot, and youtube is your best friend for learning. You'll need to put the work in early to start improving by learning the recoil patterns, smokes, flashes, etc.

It is absolutely vicious. I was a semi-serious COD player and it doesn't translate to CSGO at all.

Worst thing about it for me, the other players are often not forgiving at all. A lot of sh!t-talking and booting. I tried pretty hard and didn't enjoy it at all, gave up after a while.

It is absolutely vicious. I was a semi-serious COD player and it doesn't translate to CSGO at all.

Worst thing about it for me, the other players are often not forgiving at all. A lot of sh!t-talking and booting. I tried pretty hard and didn't enjoy it at all, gave up after a while.

That can happen a lot if you end up in solo queue alright. Being on a team with 4 Russians is literally the worst thing possible :pac: There's definitely a huge proportion of people who think they're l33t at every rank and as soon as you make one bad play the insults start flying.. the thing to remember is that they're around the exact same rank and probably worse than you.

If you end up queuing with a group you'll notice a huge difference straight away.

What I am finding is while it is very frustrating at times, it's much more rewarding than the likes of COD when you make good plays and it pays off.

Feel free to add me on steam if you fancy trying it again. I'm by no means a global elite :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

What I am finding is while it is very frustrating at times, it's much more rewarding than the likes of COD when you make good plays and it pays off.

Yeah that I can understand, if you have the patience and get more enjoyment from it than I did I'd say the game is hugely rewarding. For me, the learning process was just too negative. I also play Starcraft 2 a lot, which is a hard game to pick up, but at least people are generally nice about it :o but then, it is mainly a 1v1 game!

Yeah that I can understand, if you have the patience and get more enjoyment from it than I did I'd say the game is hugely rewarding. For me, the learning process was just too negative. I also play Starcraft 2 a lot, which is a hard game to pick up, but at least people are generally nice about it :o but then, it is mainly a 1v1 game!

Edited my last post, but incase you don't spot it - if you want to give CS another chance then feel free to add me on steam. I'm by no means a pr0, but I'm probably above average for someone who's been playing a month. At the very least it'd be 1 person on the team you know isn't a toxic coont :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Theres just something about competitive FPS that has always brought out the worst in people.

Weather it be CoD,Arma or CS:GO people get so butt hurt over them and decide its everynody elses fault all the time. Its one of the main reasons ive moved away from twitch shooters in fact,i havent got as much time as i used to to plough into just one game so naturally i wouldnt be as good as people who do that and ive no time to listen to there complaining. Arma is the only series i put up with it as i love that game and am half decent at it and its usually just people butt hurt in side chat rather than verbal abuse so easier to ignore:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I played around 40 hours of CSGO and i never really had issues with anyone. I didnt play much competitive though. If you're used to COD or BF then its a bit of an adjustment but i found it enjoyable once i got the hang of it.

Anyway i've made my last couple of purchases for the sale. Picked up Styx and Doorkickers. Went 87p over budget but i can deal with that.

So Gamestop sell PC games is that right? And the games have Steam keys? Asking because someone else mentioned a game being cheaper in Gamestop a few posts back.

Is there a way to get a discount from Gamestop? I mean getting the Steam voucher for a few quid off? Would there be a student discount or anything like that? Do they ever run some promotions

Sorry to derail the thread!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

Csgo. You can either spend your wages on in buy items or you can make a profit on playing. Personally I don't give a fûck about weapons skins so I sell any I get.

For 7 quid. You get your money.

It has its good and bad points

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

Is there a way to get a discount from Gamestop? I mean getting the Steam voucher for a few quid off? Would there be a student discount or anything like that? Do they ever run some promotions

Sorry to derail the thread!
    Not for game vouchers

What if I got a decent discount on something game related i.e a console, game or accessory in Argos and then traded it in for Gamestop store credit? Would I then end up getting the Steam voucher on the cheap?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

can any recomend any FTL type of space games ? i remember i seen one that looked kind of like ftl but was 3d top down looking instead of pixel art and was not cosmanautica but i cant remember the name of it and cant seem to find it >_<

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,943 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Lone Stone wrote: »
    can any recomend any FTL type of space games ? i remember i seen one that looked kind of like ftl but was 3d top down looking instead of pixel art and was not cosmanautica but i cant remember the name of it and cant seem to find it >_<

Try rebel Galaxy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

ah i already have that one, but that's just a shooter really not an ftl kinda game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,752 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

see here

lol i recommended it in the steamsale recommendation thread :P

So, Steam sale coming to an end, what last minute grabs is everyone eyeballing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Got red orchestra for the darkest days mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Got red orchestra for the darkest days mod

Do red orchestra mods actually work? Its year since I looked at them but most of them were broken

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭weisses

Links234 wrote: »

Think I will try abe ... Gets good reviews plus it's a funny character :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

I think I'm going get the two 'the force unleashed' games for €6 each.

Watched the new film the other day and I've got a bit of a Star Wars buzz. I've played the first one and it was a good laugh.

Might stick them on easy and just plough through the campaign for the atmosphere.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Looking at crafting the christmas sale badge. I need 3, 5 and 8. Any one fancy a trade? I have dupes of 1,2,4,6 and 9.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,943 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Looking at crafting the christmas sale badge. I need 3, 5 and 8. Any one fancy a trade? I have dupes of 1,2,4,6 and 9.

I'll give you 5 and 8 for 9. I'm also looking for 3. steam id is shanesg

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

ShaneU wrote: »
    I'll give you 5 and 8 for 9. I'm also looking for 3. steam id is shanesg

I'm happy with that. I'm on the android app and I have no idea how to add a friend with it. I'm thealmightycushion on steam, if you can add me and set up the trade, I'll accept it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

The Ball
    Quantum Conundrum
    Spirits of Xanadu
    NEON STRUCT
    Claire
    Mark of the Ninja
    Volume
    Dream - Release
    Invisible, Inc. + Contingency Plan Bundle
    Undertale

did some wishlist cleaning

[edit]

oh, wow. did I really nip in there 2 minutes before the sale ends?

strelok wrote: »
    oh, wow. did I really nip in there 2 minutes before the sale ends?

No, it's ending Monday. I guess "Last minute" is a bit of an exaggeration on my part. Well, I say a bit... :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I've made it through a steam sale without buying anything. I'm so proud of myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

I bought one game and 1 dlc. Have played through both. This must be the first time I've completed all the games I've bought in a steam sale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

I've completed all the games I've bought in a steam sale.

Ban this sick filth. :mad:

What was it you got Randy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Dark Souls
    Tomb Raider
    COH 2
    The Talos Principle
    Deponia
    Dragon Age Origins
    Legacy of Grimnock 2
    Machinarium
    Never Alone
    Transistor

My biggest Steam sale haul and only cost €45.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Few things i'm really temepted to pick up, but i said i wasn't going to buy anything and i'm sticking to that...though Darkest Dungeon, Mad Max and (for some reason) Ryse are pretty tempting.

No! No buy! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Kiith wrote: »
    Few things i'm really temepted to pick up, but i said i wasn't going to buy anything and i'm sticking to that...though Darkest Dungeon, Mad Max and (for some reason) Ryse are pretty tempting.

Yeah.... why am I being drawn to Ryse?! Is it because it is only €6?! Can anyone recommend it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Falthyron wrote: »
    Yeah.... why am I being drawn to Ryse?! Is it because it is only €6?! Can anyone recommend it?

I played it for about an hour. It's not bad, but I haven't given it a chance. I will say that it's probably worth a go at 6quid though! Refund within 2 hours if you don't like it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Got to love how Steam will enforce a 24-hour trade hold for practically every single friend with spare sale badge cards because they don't have top security turned on... Like, I get why the holds exist, but why do they have to apply to like-for-like trades of digital cards worth €0.06?

TheChrisD wrote: »
    Got to love how Steam will enforce a 24-hour trade hold for practically every single friend with spare sale badge cards because they don't have top security turned on... Like, I get why the holds exist, but why do they have to apply to like-for-like trades of digital cards worth €0.06?

I'm getting 72 hour trade holds. What the hell is that about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Is it just me or have the prices not changed from December 22nd right through the whole two weeks of the sale?

Plenty of games have received bigger discounts in previous sales when looking at their price history so it's been an underwhelming steam sale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

I'm getting 72 hour trade holds. What the hell is that about.

72 hours default, reduced to 24 hours if you've been friends for a year.

Kiith wrote: »

Darkest Dungeon is freakin' incredible! Seriously recommended. ;)

• Advertisement

Is it just me or have the prices not changed from December 22nd right through the whole two weeks of the sale?

Yes, this is the new model for steam sales now

it'll probably change again with the next sale too

Although, tbf i think i wishlisted more stuff in this sale than in any other sale since steam began

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

To be honest i think the discovery queue isnt too bad. I've found a few good games thanks to it but it would be nice to be able to filter what i'm being shown. Sick of seeing crappy free to play or anime/hentai garbage in the queue all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

What was it you got Randy?

The walking dead 400 days and season 2.

Been really picky with only buying games Ive wanted for awhile. Got fallout 4 to keep me occupied anyway, plus stuff from the summer sale.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I caved :(

i splurged the rest of my prepaid credit balance on the witcher 3 (witcher i may refund before long too) and rainbow six siege :P

around a hundred quid in this sale :/ jaysis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Have only bought the Witcher 3 so far - toying with the idea of another one or two before the deadline hits, but then again I've so many games unplayed I'm saying here and now that I won't spend another cent!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Macker1

Is the game Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons any good ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Final tally is looking likely to be Just Cause 3 and Carmageddon. The latter I've played and not really drawn any further to. Takes forever and a toasted sandwich to load. Tempted to get Rainbow Six.

Sick of seeing crappy free to play or anime/hentai garbage in the queue all the time.

There's an interesting conversation to be had about that, because as someone who loves a lot of anime, I look at some of the stuff that pops up on Steam and think... what? Anime can be incredible, but I rarely see anime styled games that resemble anything like the kind of thing I watch.

I think Valkyria Chronicles is the only anime styled game I have in my librarby. I hope to hell the upcoming Ghost in the Shell game is decent, it has a lot to live up to.

• Advertisement
Advertisement