Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Steam Christmas Sale Dec 22 - Jan 4

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Anyone else having their card declined?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Jayd0g

Drexel wrote: »
    very underwhelming sale. Nothing Im even tempted by.
    Maybe Civ Beyond Earth for 16 bujt Im a bit meh about it.

Anyone played much of it?

Played it on release and sunk 40 hours in to it.

I liked it, but it's not to everyone's taste. The new tech structure and units are cool, and there's some good mods available now.

If you think you'd like Civ 5 in space I'd go for it at that price. Lowest I've seen it anywhere else is about €15.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

Links234 wrote: »
    There are no more flash or daily deals, the prices are what they are for the whole sale. However, they'll highlight different things on the front page each day.
    Well that's ****. Part of the excitement of the sale was checking in every eight hours to see what new deals there were. And I'm sure I'm not the only one who bought things I didn't really want, just because I was all caught up in the moment. I would imagine no flash sales means fewer impulse buys for a lot of people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

I am tempted by Mad Max at 16.99. Can anybody think of a reason not to buy it?! :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Vojera wrote: »
    Well that's ****. Part of the excitement of the sale was checking in every eight hours to see what new deals there were. And I'm sure I'm not the only one who bought things I didn't really want, just because I was all caught up in the moment. I would imagine no flash sales means fewer impulse buys for a lot of people.

Its turned the sale from a 2 week event to a 10 minute one for me; I've got the list of games I want now, and thats the end of it all :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Daily sales are what made Steam sales so much fun. Same games all through the sale is stupid.

As for the games themselves, nothing there i really want. Was tempted by Heroes of Might and Magic 7, but apparently it's a bit ****. Maybe get Game of Thrones, but that's it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

So you're giving out because they're saving you from wasting money? :P

I don't miss the flash sales tbh. At least now we know the best price a game will be at although finding all the decent deals is awkward. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

- €10 - The Long Dark

had to be done :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭gazzamc

- €10 - The Long Dark

I'm with you, been waiting for a decent deal on this :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Internet Friend

- €10 - The Long Dark

Yoink!!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,034 ✭✭✭Wossack

I'd say they had an admin nightmare with the daily deals, with people returning games to re-buy at the fully reduced price

but as said, 10 mins, and a quick check of my wishlist, and Im done... bah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

^Same, very disappointing.

Anyway, for those that don't have it, Wolfenstein: The New Order for €7.49 (-85%) is one of the best deals I've seen this sale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

Seems a bit daunting without the daily and flash sales. I suppose that's why they are encouraging people to use their queue to show them some specials aimed at their interest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Picked up the Phantom Pain, Pillars of Eternity and Divinity Original Sin. Got about 28 quid left in my wallet but not sure theres much else i want to pick up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

So, as well as Valkyria Chronicles not being discounted as much as previous, I've also spotted that Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes is currently €7.99, I picked that up for €4.99 during the summer sale. The Red Solstice is €14.99, I got it for €9.99 in a daily deal. Infested Planet is €4.94, but was €3.75 when I got it. Besiege is €5.59, I bought it for €4.89. Gone Home is €5.99, got it for €2.39 before. Valiant Hearts is €7.49, but was previously €3.75. Ori and The Blind Forest is €11.99, was €4.99 before.

There you have it, proof this sale is conclusively worse than the Summer sale.

That said, there's still some very good deals. 50% off Darkest Dungeon for example is awesome!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭kevovek

12 games off my wishlist bought went a tenner over budget, don't think I'll be going back for any more though. Feels weird being done already...

Games were:
    Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons | Gone Home | The Walking Dead: Season 2 | Read Only Memories | The Vanishing of Ethan Carter | Rust | Never Alone (Kisima Ingitchuna) | The Long Dark | Cibele | Her Story | Besiege | The Talos Principle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

is Ryse: Son of Rome any good?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭gazzamc

So, as well as Valkyria Chronicles not being discounted as much as previous, I've also spotted that Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes is currently €7.99, I picked that up for €4.99 during the summer sale. The Red Solstice is €14.99, I got it for €9.99 in a daily deal. Infested Planet is €4.94, but was €3.75 when I got it. Besiege is €5.59, I bought it for €4.89. Gone Home is €5.99, got it for €2.39 before. Valiant Hearts is €7.49, but was previously €3.75. Ori and The Blind Forest is €11.99, was €4.99 before.

There you have it, proof this sale is conclusively worse than the Summer sale.

That said, there's still some very good deals. 50% off Darkest Dungeon for example is awesome!

It makes sense in the older format devs/pubs submitted 2 discounts, one for the entire sale and the other for the daily/flash. Since they can only submit one (as the reduction won't change) they will choose the smaller discount.

It makes sense since it was a smaller window when it came to flash sales, so 75,80 or even 90% off wouldn't lose them too much. There's no way they would leave it with such a steep discount for the duration of the sale.

Been locked out of buying stuff for now because I've tried and failed to purchase I Am Bread too many times. :o

Definites:

Dropsy
    Enslaved
    Her Story
    Ikaruga
    Lords of the Fallen
    Ori and the Blind Forest
    Tales From the Borderlands
    Undertale

Maybes:

D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die
    Dropsy
    Dying Light
    Dynasty Warriors 8
    Game of Thrones
    Hatoful Boyfriend
    The Magic Circle
    Proteus
    Republique Remastered
    Titan Souls

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

wow wow wow wow

Is that it? Are we saying whats there now is it for the entire sale?

Can't be

I suppose that does make sense Gazzamc, but it is a bit disappointing if we're not getting the best deals like we used to.

Honestly though, while I do kinda miss the daily deals and flash sales, as well as the community choice, I like the fact that there isn't a rush to grab something there and then. I'm not under pressure now, and that's a good thing. I might be getting a Steam giftcard at Christmas, so I'm going to wait until after I've got that before deciding if I want to buy anything. What I've been eyeballing is a few indie games mainly, these ones in particular:

Sunless Sea
    Satellite Reign
    Hard West
    Westerado: Double Barreled
    12 Is Better Than 6
    Convoy
    Party Hard
    Guild of Dungeoneering

Not sure what I'll get though, but there's a definite Wild West theme with some of them, and I'm a sucker for that sometimes. Sunless Sea and Satellite Reign have been on my Wishlist for ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭LFC CONNAUGHTON

Since rainbow 6 siege wasn't anywhere to be seen I bit the bullet and bought it for €35 on Amazon :D

TheDoc wrote: »
    wow wow wow wow

Is that it? Are we saying whats there now is it for the entire sale?

Can't be

What's on the front page is just the highlights. There's loads more on sale. The front page will change every day. That might mean you have to go digging for stuff you want though, but it's there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Drexel wrote: »
    very underwhelming sale. Nothing Im even tempted by.
    Maybe Civ Beyond Earth for 16 bujt Im a bit meh about it.

Anyone played much of it?

Its terrible.

Really want Hard West too, but I think I'll wait for the next sale.

Found another good bargain - Legend of Grimrock bundle (both games) for €5.59. If you already own one of them, both games are individually discounted at 80% off.

• Advertisement

Dair76 wrote: »
    Really want Hard West too, but I think I'll wait for the next sale.

I'll probably do the same. It's pretty new out, so you can't expect a huge discount. Still, not a bad price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

I recommend checking other sites for price on games before buying from Steam. Sometimes the prices are cheaper and if you find it on Humble Bundle for the same price or cheaper you're better off buying it there as it may also contain a DRM free version plus some money going to charity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

so i got underrail for myself and a friend. not much on it im interested in at the moment. Might get that dungeon keeper thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Go through your queue. Get some trading cards. Man... stream recommends me games I've already finished on family sharing and then stuff I have zero interest in like Ass Creed and a bunch of early access titles which I never buy. This thing is balls.

Unfollow time

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

... and Satellite Reign have been on my Wishlist for ages.
    If you like Syndicate it's definitely worth it; yes it does get repetitive but I still loved the game to the end and showing <3 for a real Syndicate follow up (vs. the official first person shooter...) never hurts :)

Personally I had one game at 4.99 on my wish list (Banner saga) and a few in the sub 10 EUR range (Of orcs and men, Endless Legend, DMC Devil may Cry, Wolfenstein: The New Order) but I don't have time to play any of them so feels like a waste to buy them now to see them rot away (esp. with XCom 2 being released soon etc.) as they will come up in future sales anyway.

Nody wrote: »
    If you like Syndicate it's definitely worth it; yes it does get repetitive but I still loved the game to the end and showing <3 for a real Syndicate follow up (vs. the official first person shooter...) never hurts :)

I adored Syndicate, way back when on the Amiga it was one of my favourite games by far, and the whole reason I love squad based games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

man, got bored with the long dark already - think i'll wait til the story mode is in it because i've no clue wtf i'm actually doing or supposed to be doing other than keeping myself alive in it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,579 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Can anybody comment on Angels Fall First?

Looked a bit buggy on release for my tastes,has it been updated much? The devs doing a good job so far?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

Lisa is meant to be a fantastic indie rpg looks cool might grab it but im a bit burned out on rpg's at the moment after fallout 4 and the witcher 3

I purchased a pack of games however one of them I bought in the last sale (November). Would they refund me for that purchase or do I not have a leg to stand on? Just wondering how friendly Steam customer service is as I've never dealt with them before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

What's on the front page is just the highlights. There's loads more on sale. The front page will change every day. That might mean you have to go digging for stuff you want though, but it's there.

Damn thanks for saying this, i was waiting on something in flash sale. Will have to just buy it as is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

Sunless Sea and Satellite Reign have been on my Wishlist for ages.
    I adore Sunless Sea. It's now my most played game at 70+ hours (which is a lot for me!)

I made a thread on it a while back (here) where I posted my thoughts as I progressed, if you're interested.

It's a game that is definitely not for everyone and it has its flaws, but I'm truly hooked on it. The story is great and the music does a great job of setting the atmosphere. Your character will do terrible things and be rewarded for it. You will scramble for supplies to burn as your fuel stores run out. Living icebergs will cause your crew to cry out in terror. And when you inevitably die, you'll do it all again and hope that what you've learned will get you a little further this time.

Edit: Irrelevant to the game, but the crew at Failbetter Games are sound. I've talked to them a few times on Twitter and Reddit and they're really friendly and happy to talk about their games and answer questions. I'm happy to support a group that is so passionate about their product.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

First, thanks to other posters for some good tips.

Second, would people set out a budget beforehand in deciding games: to at least limit spending?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

There was a sale on Far Cry 3 and 4 in the thanksgiving sale, I said I'd hold off till Christmas to see if they could better it, no reduction at all now. Oh well

Hope people have had better luck than I

• Advertisement

I purchased a pack of games however one of them I bought in the last sale (November). Would they refund me for that purchase or do I not have a leg to stand on? Just wondering how friendly Steam customer service is as I've never dealt with them before.

You can refund things if they're under 2 hours playtime and within 2 weeks. If you've still under 2 hours playtime, then you should give it a go. Can't hurt to try?
    I adore Sunless Sea. It's now my most played game at 70+ hours (which is a lot for me!)

I made a thread on it a while back (here) where I posted my thoughts as I progressed, if you're interested.

It's a game that is definitely not for everyone and it has its flaws, but I'm truly hooked on it. The story is great and the music does a great job of setting the atmosphere. Your character will do terrible things and be rewarded for it. You will scramble for supplies to burn as your fuel stores run out. Living icebergs will cause your crew to cry out in terror. And when you inevitably die, you'll do it all again and hope that what you've learned will get you a little further this time.

Edit: Irrelevant to the game, but the crew at Failbetter Games are sound. I've talked to them a few times on Twitter and Reddit and they're really friendly and happy to talk about their games and answer questions. I'm happy to support a group that is so passionate about their product.

Oh I don't need convincing, it's top of my Wishlist now that Witcher 3 has been gifted to me for Christmas :D

I know I'm going to get it sooner or later, the nightmarish lovecraftian elements and loss of sanity, etc. It seems very FTL by way of Darkest Dungeon, and it looks amazing. But I'm waiting a while as someone might give me Steam gift card for Christmas, so we'll see.
    Manach wrote: »
    First, thanks to other posters for some good tips.

Second, would people set out a budget beforehand in deciding games: to at least limit spending?

I would generally budget, yes. I gave myself a €20 budget last Christmas sale, and absolute stuck to it, ending up coming in well below budget because one thing I wanted would have tipped me over. Summer sale, I gave myself a €50 budget. It's a good idea to do.

I also had my golden rule with Steam sales. Am I going to play the game right away? If yes, I'll buy it. If not, then no purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭sirboby

so if a game is discounted now it will stay at that price for the duration of the sale or will it fluxuate?

It'll stay at that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭sirboby

hmm, i think i might get skyrim, portal 1+2, cities skylines and maybe invisable inc.

sirboby wrote: »
    hmm, i think i might get skyrim, portal 1+2, cities skylines and maybe invisable inc.

Well, some good games there, and decent discounts. Skyrim Legendary Edition is at a great price, 75% off. Portal Bundle is 80% off. Invisible Inc. is 50% off, but well worth it. Not played Cities Skylines, so can't comment if it's any good, but 60% off ain't a bad deal, especially for a game so recent.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Nothing's taken my interest really yet...

For those interested in Cities: Skylines, just be aware it's available on GMG at the same price, but then you can add this 20% code for more savings. Works out at under €9.

XMAS20-PERGMG-SVINGS

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Pompous

Forgive the big noob question but, how do I find what games are on sale? Every time I go to the store I can only browse by category...

Pompous wrote: »
    Forgive the big noob question but, how do I find what games are on sale? Every time I go to the store I can only browse by category...
    Everywhere you look there'll likely be something on sale since it's the majority of games really.

But the front page highlights different things every day: http://store.steampowered.com/

You can filter by price/genre if you go halfway down the page.

• Advertisement

Pompous wrote: »

This is supposed to be everything that's on sale. You can sort it by name, price, release date etc.

Advertisement