Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Steam Christmas Sale Dec 22 - Jan 4

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Gbear wrote: »
    Anyone have any RTS recommendations that aren't Grey Goo, Age of Empires, Dawn of War or Homeworld (I own them already)?

There's not much in the way of base building, but I highly recommend Infested Planet

Calhoun wrote: »
    Ori is a brilliant game just playing it on the xboxone and love it.

It's one I definitely want to pick up at some stage myself, looks amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Glebee

Only game im interested in that seems cheaper on Steam is Ryse:Son of Rome. As far as I can see all other games can be got much cheaper in other stores.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Picked up Insurgency for just over €2 on Kinguin, be rude not to at that price. Haven't pulled the trigger on Ori just yet. Think it was Links1234 or someone else here said they have a rule of not buying something unless they are going to play it now - does playing it even for a few minutes count? :D

So tempted to get Squad also, not sure there are many folks on here playing it though?

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Think it was Links1234 or someone else here said they have a rule of not buying something unless they are going to play it now - does playing it even for a few minutes count? :D

Links234, like the song ;)

And sure, playing it for a few minutes counts. At least you've dipped your toes in then. The idea was to cut down on stuff just going into the backlog, not getting played.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Squad seems expensive for an early access game.

I don't think they are even discounting it for the sale.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Succumb.

Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six® Vegas 2
    Victoria II
    Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance
    Shadowrun Returns
    Apotheon
    Broken Sword 5 - the Serpent's Curse
    Pillars of Eternity - Hero Edition

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Anyone have any RTS recommendations that aren't Grey Goo, Age of Empires, Dawn of War or Homeworld (I own them already)?

Act of Agression

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭weisses

I enjoyed playing the supreme commander series

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,752 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Company of heroes 2

fairly average single player campaign unless you get Ardennes Assault with it, the multiplayer is brilliant, especially co-op.

There's a pile of DLC for it - but do yourself a favour if you get it, and buy the british forces multiplayer dlc, great craic altogether

I've 1269 hours played :D so it's possible you'll get you're moneysworth out it..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

Lads, is it me , or is this sale the most boring ? No flash sales. No clear daily deals , no timers of when the sales change(that if it even does, not sure) , No clear thing to say this is for the day only?

Shíte really ?

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭jaxdasher

bpb101 wrote: »
    Lads, is it me , or is this sale the most boring ? No flash sales. No clear daily deals , no timers of when the sales change(that if it even does, not sure) , No clear thing to say this is for the day only?

Shíte really ?

I prefer it this way. No chance of missing a sale or buying something that gets discounted deeper the next day. Its straightforward. I can take my time on choosing and not be pressured as much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

My favourite sale was the coal one they did a few years ago. You got pieces of coal for completing special achievements in some of the discounted games. I think then you could craft them to win a prize and an entry into a draw where you could win the whole catalogue of games on steam. They also really pushed a lot of indie games that year when the whole indie scene was just taking off.

Shíte really ?

It's fairly lowkey alright isnt it?

I do miss the daily deals, and the community events. Clicking through a queue to get cards is just dull.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

I picked up endless space. It was a choice between that or galactic civ 3.

Havent given it a go yet but from what I've been told the combat is like a card game? Anyone confirm this?? Might return and get the other one if so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭LFC CONNAUGHTON

The deals don't stack up against the flash deals of sales gone by either. Some okay deals but very few that interest me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Stormhawk88

Supreme commander 1 and 2. Theres also a mod for 1 called forged alliance that is suppose to be brilliant.

Also Sins of a Solar Empire rebellion is kind of 4x crossed with rts it has no campaign you just set up a match against A.i. but it is really good and has a lot of mods available aswel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Rise of Nations or Age of Mythology?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Swords and Soldiers is a grand little rts game imo. Cannot +1 Sins of a Solar Empire enough. Its scale is massive and yet somehow it's completely manageable. Just remember to set an alarm to go to bed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Not as exciting but unfortunately the way the sales are now are going to be the norm I would say since the introduction of Steam refunds. Doing daily/flash/community deals would be an administration nightmare I would imagine if a lot of people bought during sale only for it to go cheaper on a flash/daily/community deal and ask for a refund.

Picked up a few games from my Wishlist so far:
    - Squad
    - The Quest
    - One More Dungeon

Was gifted:
    - System Shock: Enhanced Edition
    - Tormentum: Dark Sorrow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Steam is bollixed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Did they ever do a post on why the old sale format was scrapped? It's not nearly the event it was now without checking in every evening!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭gazzamc

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Steam is bollixed

Apparently it's being DDOS'd, thought they might had changed their mind on the new layout and were reverting it back, :P but we wouldn't be that lucky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

noooooooo one of the boys xmas present was a few steam games.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    noooooooo one of the boys xmas present was a few steam games.

It's up again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,595 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

it's very dodgy today alright. still not great.

was just gonna say that too, it's up and down a lot, and even when it's up i'm apparently not logged in either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Im sure there was some "hacker" group making threats a couple of weeks before the sales. Probably them behind it

Im sure there was some "hacker" group making threats a couple of weeks before the sales. Probably them behind it

Maybe they're upset about the new layout also :P

It's probably just traffic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Servers taking a right hammering at the minute.

Managed to buy and download one game there but it took me ages.

Not bothering again tonight that's for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭sirboby

I bought a good couple of games from the sale, im pretty new to the pc gaming scene so i have alot of catching up to do.

These are the games i had previously when i gamed on my laptop

-Civ 5
    -Prison architect
    -Kerbal space program
    -Don't starve
    -Garry's mod

I got pretty much all the total war games from the humble bundle last week.

Games i got in the sale so far.

-invisible inc.
    -Skyrim(legendary edition)
    -Portal 1 & 2
    -Cities Skylines
    -The witcher 2
    -CS:GO

Any games you suggest i should try, theres so many good options. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

sirboby wrote: »
    Any games you suggest i should try, theres so many good options. :)

The Banner Saga, X-Com and Expeditions Conquistador.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭ondafly

skidp hacking group are attacking steam - reports of people logging in but seeing other accounts. When I try to get to the store, it appears in Russian or Portuguese. I have 2 factor authentication activated so should be fine, but to others who don't now would be a good time to turn it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,595 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

I don't think Steam is 100% yet, as mine suddenly changed language to german

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭kevovek

Ha yeah mines French at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭pogcica

mine is in russian or something

ondafly wrote: »
    skidp hacking group are attacking steam - reports of people logging in but seeing other accounts. When I try to get to the store, it appears in Russian or Portuguese. I have 2 factor authentication activated so should be fine, but to others who don't now would be a good time to turn it on.

I'd advise doing nothing to your accounts now. Atm, when I go to account details it shows me someone else's account information. This is not good.

dusting off gta iv to play over the Christmas(well reinstalling)

You know , upc may have ****e customer service , But when you pull down at 225Mbs , You can never complain

Lads. To get GTA V or not, That is my question ?

titan18 wrote: »
    I'd advise doing nothing to your accounts now. Atm, when I go to account details it shows me someone else's account information. This is not good.

****, Mines in Russian and USD

Edit, **** , tried to get gta iv at $29 just missed it

Steam is going crazy

• Advertisement

Sales in Russian and Polish, and the prices were in USD for a while there too :D

dusting off gta iv to play over the Christmas(well reinstalling)

You know , upc may have ****e customer service , But when you pull down at 225Mbs , You can never complain

Lads. To get GTA V or not, That is my question ?

****, Mines in Russian and USD

Edit, **** , tried to get gta iv at $29 just missed it

Ya, I wouldn't worry about missing a game. Chances are someone can see your account details, that's much worse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

titan18 wrote: »

Same here, my library tab shows my stuff but the account details show me somebody else stuff. I suggest keeping a very close eye on your paypal or credit card accounts.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Something's *VERY* fucky with Steam ATM - looks like a major security hole. Trying to unlink my PayPal account now.

**** lads, Somthings up here
    clicked on my account and was able to see somebody else master card clicked , inc names and address and phone number of somebody (in ireland)

I'm amazed the servers haven't been shut down. This is a pretty big security breach. WTF are Valve doing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

Shiminay wrote: »
    Something's *VERY* fucky with Steam ATM - looks like a major security hole. Trying to unlink my PayPal account now.

Is it possible to do on the paypal side of things?

Is it possible to do on the paypal side of things?
    remove cards from paypal, Thats what ive done

Frightened the **** out of me....went to the site and everything was in Russian or Polish or some ****. In order to pay with PayPal they'd need your PayPal password too wouldn't they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

I wouldn't log in. I went to the site and got to somebody's account from wicklow named graham. Didn't log in or anything. Shows games and wishlist. 2 items in shopping cart but empty when I get there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

Can't login into my own account but have seen 4 different peoples account. My debit card is linked to my account and I can't get in to erase it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement