Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Steam Christmas Sale Dec 22 - Jan 4

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Can't login at the minute. Haven't seen anyone else's details but yeah not good.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭LFC CONNAUGHTON

Mines in Russian as well, this doesn't look good I might unlink my payment methods

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

If i were them , i would do a full shutdown of steam and then fix it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

I was wondering why my steam language kept switching to Bulgarian or Russian, going to delete my card deets of it now. It's acting very weird.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Yup i was logged into some random blokes account. Tried to go into my account but the page isn't loading.

Hopefully Steam have shut everything down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

steam is gone completely black for me now, like the servers have been shutdown entirely

im logged in but i cant get into my account details page, that's fairly ****ed right now lizard squad or some such dicks probably ugh hackers are such sad bastards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

According to the SteamDB Twitter account.

https://twitter.com/SteamDB/status/680497713885102082
    Do NOT attempt to unlink PayPal, remove your credit card details or anything else. Doing so will put you at risk instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭gazzamc

I couldn't get to my account details, but I only have PayPal linked, I wouldn't trust my card directly... They still need your PP password to purchase anything so should be safe enough, as for cards linked I don't think there's a confirmation process when buying, which is dodgy giving the accound switching going on.

I tried activating the mobile guard thing, not sure if it worked but I did get the pass sent to my phone before it started to not load again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭.G.

They've shut it down now, shame it took over an hour.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

I don't think logging in is a good idea if it's leaking other people's logged in sessinos to random visitors to the site.

Lone Stone wrote: »
    im logged in but i cant get into my account details page, that's fairly ****ed right now lizard squad or some such dicks probably ugh hackers are such sad bastards.

phantom squad apparently.. cool name though

superg wrote: »
    They've shut it down now, shame it took over an hour.

Very poor response by them tbh, could be lots of accounts breached, and that tweet was far too late.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

me_irl wrote: »

From the same account

https://twitter.com/SteamDB/status/680496280041308160
    And just as a reminder to some twitter users, SteamDB (Steam Database) is not affiliated with Valve in any way.

sounds like we need a witcher !! ... /gets coat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,105 ✭✭✭Doge

gazzamc wrote: »
    Very poor response by them tbh, could be lots of accounts breached, and that tweet was far too late.
    G
    That tweet was from "Steam Database" who are not affiliated with Steam.

gazzamc wrote:

Indeed. That tweet wasn't from them. The official steam accounts have still said nothing about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

What a sad bunch of sh*ts to do something like this, seriously.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Did anyone else read this in Teresa Manion's voice.

• Advertisement

Doge wrote: »
    G
    That tweet was from "Steam Database" who are not affiliated with Steam.

Which is even worse since steam hasn't said anything at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭LFC CONNAUGHTON

What's the story with playing games online, safe/ working or no?

works fine - just avoid the store til tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Explanation i saw on reddit about why people are seeing account details for other people
    It's a problem with their caching-server (varnish), caching pages that should not be cached (such as Account-Details, Cart, etc.). It invalidates after some time and is re-cached when the next user visits the page with their profile. You are not actually logged in (as in, you take over the session of the user), you just see pages rendered for others than yourself. This is why different parts of steam appear as different users.
    Which page you see is probably dependent on the edge node (first server you connect to) closest to you, hence why different users see different profiles.
    My guess to how this could've happened is that an untested configuration got activated when steam went down earlier, e.g. due to an auto-conf service (puppet, chef) pulling an untested config or some of their live servers being replaced by staging / development servers. It's also possible that they were under heavy load and the engineer on duty reconfigured all their edge nodes to cache more aggressively.
    Let's hope they fix this fast, because this is a major data leak. I can see private E-Mail and account names. Let's hope their cache server is not delivering internal pages.

Not entirely sure if thats down to hackers or a **** up on steams part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,407 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Explanation i saw on reddit about why people are seeing account details for other people

Not entirely sure if thats down to hackers or a **** up on steams part.

This is what's happening. Either Steam have cached something on the origin they shouldn't have or they made a change, ****ed up and their CDN cached the mess.

• Advertisement

Lads, there a very good chance , we will all get a free game off steam for this. Sometime we all ,already have , but still

bpb101 wrote: »
    Lads, there a very good chance , we will all get a free game off steam for this. Sometime we all ,already have , but still

Left for dead again :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

That's a game I've meant to give a go funnily enough. Looks fun.

Sure, Beggars cant be choosers

Doubt we would get l4d3

At the end of the day for valve if the whole system shuts down and nobody evers trust steam and all credit card details are robbed . All they have to do is say "hl3 confirmed" and every customer will come back again. Grand so it will be

bpb101 wrote: »
    Sure, Beggars cant be choosers

Doubt we would get l4d3

At the end of the day for valve if the whole system shuts down and nobody evers trust steam and all credit card details are robbed . All they have to do is say "hl3 confirmed" and every customer will come back again. Grand so it will be
    Haha not likely, I couldn't get into HL, I have them in the library but i just don't get the hype for it, I guess I'm just over fps :P

A game of choice off your wish list would be killer :) .. Hopefully nothing was stolen :(

• Advertisement

Haha not likely, I couldn't get into HL, I have them in the library but i just don't get the hype for it, I guess I'm just over fps :P

A game of choice off your wish list would be killer :) .. Hopefully nothing was stolen :(
    Thats what i was hoping . Wouldnt cost anything anyways (expect maybe encourage this )

Looks like were back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

So is it safe to log in and browse the store?

i'm not gonna trust it today tbh - at least not until there's some official word on wtf happened

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

i'm not gonna trust it today tbh - at least not until there's some official word on wtf happened

Yeah same here, which is annoying because the sale ends tomorrow?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

there'll be another sale in 2 months time

Jan 4th - loadsa time :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Jan 4th - loadsa time :)

Ohh cool! It's just Stick of Truth and the ubisoft ones that end tomorrow?

Sale ends 4th January

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Ohh cool! It's just Stick of Truth and the ubisoft ones that end tomorrow?

Stick of truth was genuinely one of the funniest games I've ever played.

I dont think they even do tbh, afaik the discounts that ye see daily or in your queue are static throughout the sale, so ye should be fine either way, but even if it's a worst case scenario, valve will have the store up and running tomorrow - it's far too much of a golden goose for them not to have it laying it's eggs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

Ah tbh I only wanted to log in to get my stupid cards, I think I've all the games I want this time around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Too late :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

I haven't used steam in a while but I just became aware of this situation via reddit... I know my card info is saved on steam - is it still necessary for me to go and remove my details or are things now back to normal?

no, should be fine. Just dont use the store until valve sort it all out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Do not even log in. Until it's all sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Sorted now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

So was steam hacked or not? That community thread by killa instinct is an official source? Sorry but I'm not exactly convinced by a thread or tweet that don't seem obvious official accounts

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

It's not sorted for everyone either. I can login via the client, but not the webpage, and a quick glance at the Steam forums suggests I'm not alone.

Advertisement