Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Steam Christmas Sale Dec 22 - Jan 4

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Looks good to me now. Just picked up the few games I wanted.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

It seems ok for me this morning, was in Russian last night. Got Ori and the Blind Forest and Sniper Elite. Remember playing Sniper on the original Xbox years ago and enjoyed it, under €2 so worth a buy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

This is the closest thing I have seen to an official source, they issued a statement to gamespot

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/steam-issue-allowing-access-to-other-users-account/1100-6433371/
    "Steam is back up and running without any known issues," a Valve spokesperson told GameSpot. "As a result of a configuration change earlier today, a caching issue allowed some users to randomly see pages generated for other users for a period of less than an hour. This issue has since been resolved. We believe no unauthorized actions were allowed on accounts beyond the viewing of cached page information and no additional action is required by users."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

My thoughts on people who logged in to "delete their card details" when clearly that was going to expose their accounts to other people.
    1312644019061.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,752 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

I reckon it was a fairly legit response to what was happening, was there any word from valve today at all?

• Advertisement

This is the only update I heard about
    http://www.gamespot.com/articles/steam-issue-allowing-access-to-other-users-account/1100-6433371/

I got pillars of eternity this morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

You're probably safe this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

I reckon it was a fairly legit response to what was happening, was there any word from valve today at all?

It's valve, I'd be surprised if we here anything more than the gamespot comments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

aphex™ wrote: »
    My thoughts on people who logged in to "delete their card details" when clearly that was going to expose their accounts to other people.

It wasnt clear for a while what was going on. At least not to most people anyway. Cant really blame them for trying to do that initially.

I think they might have to after people's personal info was thrown around like confetti

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Think I'll keep my card details off the record from now on, not a nice scare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

While this isn't from the horses mouth, Tom Scott gives an excellent explanation as to what happened yesterday.

Bought a few of the cheaper games off my wishlist.

Got Red Faction Guerilla, Viscera Cleanup Detail, The Silent Age, Dream, The Fall, Deponia the Complete Journey and Empire TV Tycoon for just under 26 pounds.

Still got just under 8 quid left. Theres a good few games on my wishlist that fall under that price but couldnt decide now which one i wanted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

Fallout 4 is now being discounted. Repeat. Fallout 4 is now on discount (It's like 10 EUR off)

I don't know what's going on with this sale but I am 100% sure it was not discounted earlier

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

Actually on further looking you are probably still better off buying a steam code on Amazon or elsewhere..
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fallout-4-PC-Code-Steam/dp/B00ZDU9EZY/ref=sr_1_1_twi_sof_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1451169754&sr=8-1&keywords=fallout+4+pc+steam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Still got just under 8 quid left. Theres a good few games on my wishlist that fall under that price but couldnt decide now which one i wanted.

Had a looksee at your wishlist, and the only games on there that I own, and fall under 8 are Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes, and Styx: Master of Shadows, which I haven't even played yet. Ground Zeroes was a prologue to The Phantom Pain, and it's a pretty small game, there's a single map and a main story mission that'll take about 90 minutes to finish, then you can unlock a load of different missions. I loved it, I felt the gameplay was a lot tighter than The Phantom Pain and the level design was better, and even with the limited amount of things to do I sank a good 25 hours into it and would still pop back to it again from time to time. Caveat being that it went for cheaper before.

Styx although I've not played it myself yet, my girlfriend was playing it and it looks terrific, she liked it a lot too. It's a pure stealth game, and quite challening by the looks of it.

Might leave Metal Gear till the next sales. I got Phantom Pain already in the sale and since that should take a good long while to playthrough i might leave Ground Zeroes till the summer.

Styx i might buy though. I like stealth games and it does sound good. Grandia 2 and Legend of Heroes are another two i could get since i wouldnt mind playing a jrpg for a change. Also Shovel Knight. Not in any major hurry to buy something right away in any case. Might wait a couple of days to see if i notice anything else.

Don't be afraid to leave the money there. There'll be another sale in a few months time, or maybe something'll pop up in a daily/midweek/weekend deal you really want.

I've got me a €20 gift card at Christmas, added it there but didn't get anything yet and I'm not in a huge rush to buy anything either. Might pick something up before the end of the sale, Sunless Sea and Satellite Reign are the biggest contendors, but I'm just not pushed. I've so much to be getting on with. Adoring the hell out of Hard West right now, need to play through The Witcher 2 because herself bought me 3 for Christmas and I wanna get on that, and she also bought me Undertale which is really great so far, but only about 2 and a half hours into it. I got so much stuff I need to play, so I honestly wouldn't mind if I came out of this sale not having bought anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Links either Helldivers or killing floor would be up your " payday/vermintide" street.

both very good games.

Nah, not really been playing much in the way of any multiplayer games as of late, and between Vermintide and Warframe, that particular itch is covered. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,595 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

So far today I got Shadowrun Returns,
    Tachyon: The Fringe,
    Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition
    and Fleet Defender: The F-14 Tomcat Simulator.

Looking at a few other bits and pieces but seriously considering Kerbal Space Program. It doesn't hurt that it has Steam Controller support and herself got me one for Christmas :D Can anyone tell of their own experiences with the game?

Ahh Tachyon: The Fringe - the one with Bruce Campbell voice acting, i remember that being gas :) probably hasnt aged very well though, have ye played it yet?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

So far today I got Shadowrun Returns,
    Tachyon: The Fringe,
    Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition
    and Fleet Defender: The F-14 Tomcat Simulator.

Looking at a few other bits and pieces but seriously considering Kerbal Space Program. It doesn't hurt that it has Steam Controller support and herself got me one for Christmas :D Can anyone tell of their own experiences with the game?

Just an fyi that Kerbal is just over a tenner on kinguin in case you wanted to save a few quid. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

KSP is excellent. Its greatest attribute is the sense of accomplishment it provides you when you do something for the first time. You'll understand why after every NASA mission covered in the news you saw people applauding themselves, jumping and cheering, hugging and kissing one another. Be it your first successful pod recovery after launch, your first orbit, your first moon landing, your first successful rendezvous and rescue of another trapped kerbonaut, the sense of success you feel about yourself is not matched by many games, if any.
    Add to that how badass Jebediah is and you've got one charmingly beautiful tough as nails game. What are you waiting for? Space is your oyster go make the folks on Kerbin proud. Remember these immortal lines:

"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

I've been hemming and hawing about getting spec ops:the line due to only having about 6 euro left in my steam wallet after buying the walking dead 400 days.

Turns out I already own it from a humble bundle, I just never redeemed the key.

Turns out I already own it from a humble bundle, I just never redeemed the key.

Another festivus miracle! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭sirboby

the Sassanian creed games are on sale now, im pretty sure they wernt when the sale started.
    Is it worth getting Black flag, its only €5.

im also pretty sure the fallout games have just went on sale too, will this become a trend with more going on sale near the end of the sale?

I think Steam needs to bring back the daily deal format at least, because it a been clear that companies like Ubisoft, Bethesda and Square Enix and probably more have been doing their own thing with regards to what's discounted when and for how long. It's making things unclear and confusing now and this new format will be a failure if it keeps up. I know it's not steam who are setting the prices, but if there are essentially hidden daily deals happening, then there needs to be something showing that, it's poor form otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Links234 wrote: »
    I think Steam needs to bring back the daily deal format at least, because it a been clear that companies like Ubisoft, Bethesda and Square Enix and probably more have been doing their own thing with regards to what's discounted when and for how long. It's making things unclear and confusing now and this new format will be a failure if it keeps up. I know it's not steam who are setting the prices, but if there are essentially hidden daily deals happening, then there needs to be something showing that, it's poor form otherwise.

I basically haven't bothered looking at things past the first day or two. The daily deals in the past would have kept me hooked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,595 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Ahh Tachyon: The Fringe - the one with Bruce Campbell voice acting, i remember that being gas :) probably hasnt aged very well though, have ye played it yet?

The game mechanics have aged gracefully enough. The plot and dialogue was always a bit tongue in cheek which certainly helps. Runs perfectly on Win 7 but takes a lot of tweaking for the Steam Controller to run. It reminds me a lot of Freelancer, with the choice between story-line missions and jobs.
    It's a bit simple/easy compared to the likes of Elite:Dangerous & Star Wars: X-Wing but great fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭sportstar583

Calhoun wrote: »
    I basically haven't bothered looking at things past the first day or two. The daily deals in the past would have kept me hooked.

Same. I really miss the daily deals and flash sales. This steam sale has been so much more boring than the last winter one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Same. I really miss the daily deals and flash sales. This steam sale has been so much more boring than the last winter one.

All its done is kill any impulse buying I might have done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

I haven't bought a single game yet with Steam this sale, it's kinda strange.

Also, the search is completely borked for me, unusable.
    The steam client has been laggy most of the time for me & the endless scrolling thing has completely stopped working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Make sure to grab this; Developer Alliance Bundle

96% off - 59c for 4 decent games. Currently enjoying Camera Obscura. Definitely worth grabbing, best deal of the sale for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭LFC CONNAUGHTON

J_E wrote: »

96% off - 59c for 4 decent games. Currently enjoying Camera Obscura. Definitely worth grabbing, best deal of the sale for sure.

Decent way to spend the money from trading the sale cards

• Advertisement

Moon54 wrote: »
    Also, the search is completely borked for me, unusable.
    The steam client has been laggy most of the time for me & the endless scrolling thing has completely stopped working.

Steam is being DDOS'd pretty hard again it seems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

Working okay for me here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,947 ✭✭✭long_b

Can't log in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

Weird. I logged out there and logged back in no problem (logging out actually took 10 seconds or so).

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭jaxdasher

Ive been fine all night.

(Placing and removing things from my basket because i'm an indecisive idiot.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

I just bought the developer alliance bundle now without a problem (before I saw the posts about the DDOSing)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

J_E wrote: »

Maybe its just because I'm a cranky old ****er but if I could filter the steam store to exclude any game with the key words, "platformer" "roguelike" and "pixel" I would.

yeah, survival* pixel* early access* RPGMaker*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭seklly

So far I've bought:

Rocket League
    Ori and the Blind Forest
    Bastion
    Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons
    The Talos Principle

Rocket League is very good. Just finished a 5 hour binge of Ori, it's a brilliant game, looking forward to playing more tomorrow (or maybe a bit more now!)

Nice haul seklly ;)

Really tempted to pull the trigger on this one:

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭jaxdasher

Links234 wrote: »
    Nice haul seklly ;)

Really tempted to pull the trigger on this one:

It plays like old Syndicate, so if you like it that way go for it. I prefer turn based so I got Shadowrun.

Yeah, I adored Syndicate, but my dilema isn't whether I'd like the game or not, it's more a case of do I need to get it right now when I have so much else in my library I want to play and haven't got around to yet? Case in point, Shadowrun Returns. Booted it up for a few minutes ages ago and never got around to giving it a proper play at all since, and I know it's exactly the kind of game I'd love. :o

I had hoped to have blasted through The Witcher 2 'cos herself got me 3 for Christmas.

And I snagged Satellite Reign ;)

I was kinda planning to grab that and Sunless Sea at the same time, but thought I'd leave it for now.

So there we go, first purchase of the sale (for myself).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Mister Man

I've got €20 in my steam wallet, and just noticed the sale was on. Anyone recommend something? Pretty much play anything...

There's a thread for recommendations a couple of days ago, well worth checking out. If you want a more specific recommendation, give us an idea of what games you like.

• Advertisement
Advertisement