Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Steam Christmas Sale Dec 22 - Jan 4

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Ended up picking up Creeper World 3: Arc Eternal for a fiver; it's been on my wanted list for a while but I forgot the name and hence did not buy it before. As it showed up in one of review lists yesterday I decided to buy it before I forgot the name again.

I saw ori and the blind forest put it on wishlist is it actually any good

pillars of eternity is brilliant really glad i got it

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

jaxdasher wrote: »
    (Placing and removing things from my basket because i'm an indecisive idiot.)

Same as myself, I've had Squad in my cart for the last 3 days. Undecided about getting into it early versus waiting until its a little more polished. Most of the videos make it look great fun as long as your squad leader isn't a dick.
    seklly wrote: »
    Just finished a 5 hour binge of Ori, it's a brilliant game, looking forward to playing more tomorrow (or maybe a bit more now!)

Spent some time playing this last night, the visuals and music are fabulous, they nailed the platforming too. Some of the sections can be quite difficult, just learned
    that dash mechanic
    which is fun. Will defo get back to it later.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭jaxdasher

Links234 wrote: »
    And I snagged Satellite Reign ;)

I was kinda planning to grab that and Sunless Sea at the same time, but thought I'd leave it for now.

So there we go, first purchase of the sale (for myself).

I bought Sunless Sea from the summer sale. That game is just so unique. Its an experience. I used to read a lot of Choose your own adventure books and it's that mixed with survival elements and Lovecraftian story. Each town you go to has a dark secret that you can't wait to unravel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Definitely have to recommend a game called The Stanley Parable, short (I think, not certain if I'm finished yet) but very witty and well made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I bought Sunless Sea from the summer sale. That game is just so unique. Its an experience. I used to read a lot of Choose your own adventure books and it's that mixed with survival elements and Lovecraftian story. Each town you go to has a dark secret that you can't wait to unravel.

How much of a thing is inventory management in it? I remember liking fallen london from way back but I'm sick of playing games where you spend so much time worrying about managing resources that you might as well just work in an accounts dept.

Bambi wrote: »
    How much of a thing is inventory management in it? I remember liking fallen london from way back but I'm sick of playing games where you spend so much time worrying about managing resources that you might as well just work in an accounts dept.

I never got into Fallen London. There are various resources like "currencies" to unlock adventures and proceed in the stories in certain tows. Nothing I found that requires using maths. The resource that is VERY important and you got to keep your eye on really is Fuel, Food and Sanity. Being stuck in the Unterzee, you may resort to drastic solutions. You can eat your shipmates or call upon the gods and pray to your ancestors that they show you a little mercy.

There is trading you can get into but stories are rewarding enough trading is mostly to keep you Fuel and food stocked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Finished with the sale, i was holding out to buy MGSV but i got gifted some money over Christmas and saw what i wanted in gamestop of all places cheaper than steam (the item was on sale in both places).

Kinda tells you how bad things have got when gamestop are beating steam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I find its worth looking in a b + m store every now and again as you can sometimes pick up a good bargain.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Seems like Ubisoft is really ****ing around, Zombi has only just gone on sale for 40% off, but the deal ends on the 31st. A lot of the Ubi titles aren't getting discounted at all, or the discounts are pretty underwhelming (Call of Juarez: Gunslinger is 50% off, previously 75%) because they want people to buy through Uplay instead of Steam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Seems like Ubisoft is really ****ing around, Zombi has only just gone on sale for 40% off, but the deal ends on the 31st. A lot of the Ubi titles aren't getting discounted at all, or the discounts are pretty underwhelming (Call of Juarez: Gunslinger is 50% off, previously 75%) because they want people to buy through Uplay instead of Steam.

I think id rather pay full price than use UPlay, if it is still like it was its a piece of crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,595 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Is anyone else having trouble with the store not recognizing games you type into the search bar?

Edit: it's a bit messed up again now, I'm after getting this. I should point out that i had €21 in my wallet a few minutes ago :(

Yup. Sometimes if you scroll down and fill the checkbox next to "Windows" it works but mostly it's fcuked.

I may just pick it up before the end of sale, but there's no rush yet. That's one good thing about the new sale format (or it's good when the publishers don't dick around), I don't feel the pressure to grab something. Gives me time to get to grips with what I have bought though, tried half an hour of Satellite Reign there, because I wanted to at least dip my toes in before continuing with something else. But yeah, Sunless Sea is something I've no doubt I'll like, it practical screams "I'm your type of game!" at me.

I may just pick it up before the end of sale, but there's no rush yet. That's one good thing about the new sale format (or it's good when the publishers don't dick around), I don't feel the pressure to grab something. Gives me time to get to grips with what I have bought though, tried half an hour of Satellite Reign there, because I wanted to at least dip my toes in before continuing with something else. But yeah, Sunless Sea is something I've no doubt I'll like, it practical screams "I'm your type of game!" at me.

Yeah, if i wasnt lazy. Id document my adventure and connect the narratives and it would be a fun read.

Now you've been talking about Hard West. Sell it to me. Is it almost as good as XcomEW? Much replayability? Permadeath?

• Advertisement

Now you've been talking about Hard West. Sell it to me. Is it almost as good as XcomEW? Much replayability? Permadeath?

I'd say it's better, but with the caveat that I only played a few hours of XCom and hadn't played Enemy Within yet. It's more story heavy, and the characters are often story essential so if they die during a stage you restart. But if you want me to sell it to you, then I think the more narrative heaviness of the game should be right up your alley.

The gameplay is split between two things, there's the combat stages which is the turn-based combat you'd expect, and then there's the map stages in between where you have various locations and you move your icon to a location and get a very "choose your own adventure" list of options, different scenarios and situations occur, major events are narrated (and the narrator is amazing, silky smooth old west storyteller kinda deal). It's a little bit like FTL. This is where I think the replayability is going to come into it, because things can go differently, after finishing the first scenario I nearly wanted to play it again immediately to see what would happen if I made different choices. Here you can also make changes to a character's loadout, there's also a deck of cards you can collect that add different bonuses like + Aim/Movement/HP etc, each character can have a hand of 5 cards and getting pairs or three of a kind can grant extra bonuses. It's like a poker hand, see? Thematically fits in wondefully.

The combat gameplay is amazing, it's not overly complicated and there's not a huge amount of stats to juggle, but what's really clever is that there's a luck mechanic. Each character has "luck" which is a stat that is weighed up against an enemy's aim stat, and shots taken against you when your luck is high will miss, but your luck will go down, and likewise if you get hit your luck will increase again. So it's a stat that'll go up and down as the combat progresses, but makes for really interesting gameplay, because when you've got high luck you can make a much more aggressive move, and when it's down you might want to hide. It makes things feel quite balanced because it prevents you from being completely slammed in an instant, if you get hit, chances are you won't get killed from the next shot. The game is great because it's difficult without being brutally punishing.

That sell you on it yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭Patser

Sold me, I'm downloading!

Be it on your head though, if it sucks I'm going to find you, call around to your house, sulk a bit on the porch, maybe play knick-knack

If you think it sucks, get it refunded, I won't say anything for disliking a game I liked. I'm not one of those "How can you not love this game I love? What's wrong with you!?" kinda folks, I've disliked plenty that other people have highly rated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

I'm finding the queue to be awful for recommending games I would like. Could do with a bit more "you played this game for 200 hours, you might be interested in the sequel"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Calhoun wrote: »
    All its done is kill any impulse buying I might have done.

This.

I checked the sale day one and havn't gone back to it. Have got trickles of friends saying Football Manager and Rainbow Six went on sale a few days later, but by then I'd already lost the interest.

I was literally sweating for FM16. Went to Smyths as I read it was €30 and when I went down price went up from that morning, Steam had no sale and I just left it at that. Friends still telling me its cheap here and there, but the impulse and desire is gone.

I'm playing MGS Phantom Pain for Ps4 and loving it, and gearing a new character in WoW. So thats my time spent.

I'd normally always drop €50 in a steam sale on impulse buys, something I see there and then and want. Pretty much first steam sale I can remember where I've not bought anything, and 100% know I wont.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Ive just started playinc Civ 5 again.

Well this is what I got from the sale.

Hard West | This War of Mine | Sword of the Stars: The Pit - Gold Edition | EVE online Premium Starter

Well chuffed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Any recommendation for games like Brothers:a tale of two sons?

Calhoun wrote: »
    I think id rather pay full price than use UPlay, if it is still like it was its a piece of crap.

You still have to use Uplay with Ubisoft games even when starting them on Steam. Theyve updated it so its a integrated a lot better with Steam though.

Well this is what I got from the sale.

Hard West

So I sold you on it, eh? ;)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

I can't think of anything else like it, fairly unique game that, brilliant too.

Never Alone might be worth a look. You have two characters,a girl and her fox, though you swap between the two rather than control the two at the same time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

I got:
    Invisible Inc
    Castlevania: Mirror of Fate
    Lisa
    Masochisa
    The Longest Journey

And I bought Sunless Sea and The Fall to give away.

I got Satellite Reign, was gifted Hard West, and bought Ori and the Blind Forest as a gift. Not too bad at all. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭TetraxShard

Picked up:
    Besieged
    Broforce
    Brutal Legend
    Crypt of the Necrodancer
    Darkest Dungeon
    Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin
    Fable Anniversary
    Frozen Cortex
    Grim Dawn
    Gyromancer
    Never Alone
    Satellite Reign
    Shadowrun: Hong Kong
    Sword Coast Legends
    Undertale
    Victor Vran
    Warhammer 40,000: Regicide

Set for awhile anyway. Probably get Rise of the Tomb Raider and XCOM 2 when they arrive, but otherwise not much for a long time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

i got:

Nothing

bpb101 wrote: »
    i got:

Nothing

Impressive haul! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,943 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Bought Mad Max and really enjoying it, graphics are impressive.

Also bought Euro Truck Simulator 2, graphics not quite as impressive :pac: Was kinda disappointed the map is not 1:1 scale but I guess it would take forever to finish it.

ETS2 is deceptively addictive. There just something so relaxing about driving those trucks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

I also got ETS2, enjoying my first few trips in it. Suprised how much I feel like just doing one more job...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

ETS 2 is arguably the most relaxing game I've ever played. Escapism gaming perfection.

Bought carmageddon reincarnation. Load times are terrible. Absolutely terrible. Not a bad game though. Not a great one either.

Gifted a friend spec ops. Great story.

Tempted by rainbow six and just cause.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

There daily deals?

Elite is 12.49 it was 17 the other day?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Wasn't going to get anything, but might pick up Darkest Dungeon, Titan Souls and Divinity Enhanced Edition today. Should keep me busy for a while.

Is Grim Dawn any good?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,566 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

is there any point in getting the cards for the sale seeing as you can't make a badge and they expire on the 4th?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

Skerries wrote: »
    is there any point in getting the cards for the sale seeing as you can't make a badge and they expire on the 4th?
    You can make a badge but I had to go into the Badges menu to see it - there doesn't seem to be a "view badge progress" button on the cards for some reason.

I've just been selling my cards

• Registered Users Posts: 26 CodeNameEagle

GTA 5 $35
    And i dont have money right now omg!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,943 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Just noticed the latest Tomb Raider game is €3, that is ridiculous. Fantastic game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭Patser

Regard Links234 Hard West recommendation:

It is good, very good, altough lacking just that little bit of polish - overwatch ability missing really makes it hard - but for all those X-Com devotees waiting for X-Com 2 in February who want to try something different to pass the time, really well worth grabbing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

ShaneU wrote: »
    Just noticed the latest Tomb Raider game is €3, that is ridiculous. Fantastic game.
    new one coming out. They would give it away free but selling it so low and you thinking your getting a great deal leaves a better impression. Its just so you will play it and buy the new one when it comes out,
    Saying that, Great game. Worth €3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

got tomb raider 4.50 with all the DLC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

That Tomb Raider game is a very good game. More so though it actually seemed a very decent port. Cannot remember a single moment of moment slow down in it.

GTA V's mileage may vary for some. Since an update in May/April the game regressed performance wise imo. Frame rate drops and texture load in issues suddenly became a problem. Shame too as it's a brilliantly crafted sandbox, if sandboxes are your thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I've bought nothing so far. I got a 75 e GameStop voucher for Xmas but there's nothing doing anything for me. I might wait until I see the new humble monthly in a few days before deciding.

So Gamestop sell PC games is that right? And the games have Steam keys? Asking because someone else mentioned a game being cheaper in Gamestop a few posts back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

So Gamestop sell PC games is that right? And the games have Steam keys? Asking because someone else mentioned a game being cheaper in Gamestop a few posts back.

They do sell PC games (thought the selection is often poor). Some physical games do come with a CD key for Steam (or uPlay or Origin) but I've never really seen them cheaper. They sell Steam vouchers which I was going to buy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement