Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buyer puts deposit on house, house then sold to social housing agency.

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

MayBea wrote: »
    I'd be inclined to agree it's a better outcome than to the one of Waterville where a similar number of units went to the council after the first 50 houses was privately sold.

Not true. The cluster in Waterville is 100% social housing. No privately owned units.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

athtrasna wrote: »
    Report don't retort!

Apologies. To be fair it wasn't rude per se but sorry no need to point it out in my own posts. Apologies to butters also.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭MayBea

Not true. The cluster in Waterville is 100% social housing. No privately owned units.

Formally, it is not true. However, I would persist that it is only nominally different to Brandon Square - there is zero visual difference between two clusters and they are yards from each other.
    I will rephrase it slightly, "a similar number of units (to An Riasc estate) went to the council in Rossan Court in Waterville after the first 50 houses was privately sold by the developer in a neighbouring cluster named Brandon Square".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

MayBea wrote: »
    Formally, it is not true. However, I would persist that it is only nominally different to Brandon Square - there is zero visual difference between two clusters and they are yards from each other.
    I will rephrase it slightly, "a similar number of units (to An Riasc estate) went to the council in Rossan Court in Waterville after the first 50 houses was privately sold by the developer in a neighbouring cluster named Brandon Square".

All the clusters are independent, with their own management companies. And they're more than yards apart. I've lived in Waterville for 11 years. Neighbouring clusters have next to no interaction

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Why do many social housing agencies/county councils buy up multiple houses in the one estate for Social Housing. Doesn't this go against some sort of integration policy. Didn't this type of thing fail miserably in the 60's/70's and 80's?

It's not like they are creating a new West Tallaght or Darndale. There is a certain sense in buying a sufficient number of properties such that they can minimise acquisition and estate management costs. It means they can hire someone to supervise construction. Buying 35 houses in random estates would mean lots of different designs, built to different specifications and potentially requiring different maintenance methods. It also means they have one set of neighbours to deal with, not 35.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭esforum

pablo128 wrote: »
    Can I remind people that not all social housing tenants don't work. In fact, isn't the jobless rate at 9% or something? I am in the situation where we both work and are in social housing, but would find it difficult to get a mortgage with the price of houses.

The unemployment rate is 9% as you say, social housing makes up less than 9% of homes so it is mathematically possible for all social housing tenents to be unemployed. I know they arent, just saying.
    I am in the situation where we both work and are in social housing, but would find it difficult to get a mortgage with the price of houses.

First off, I completely agree that house prices are getting plain silly all over again, thanlkfully for people who bought when they peaked in 2006 / 2007 but yeah, theres no way my house is worth what the going rate in the area is.

May I ask if yourself and partner are working fulltime and if you have kids? My wife lost her job in 2008 and we have 2 kids but dont qualify for any form of welfare based on my income.
    Coupled to that, the area of Tallaght we would be looking at has almost no houses for sale, and it's far from upmarket.
    Afraid have to take issue here, beggers cant be choosers. I live a fair bit away from my parents, wifes parents, etc. You buy where you can afford.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭MayBea

And they're more than yards apart.

They are 280 meters or 3 minutes moderate walk (Google Maps) from the very first house in Brandon Square to the one in Rossan Court.
    So sure, they aren't wall to wall, but having been built by the same developer and having identical look they are, from my outsider's point of view, visually constituting the same estate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

esforum wrote: »

May I ask if yourself and partner are working fulltime and if you have kids? My wife lost her job in 2008 and we have 2 kids but dont qualify for any form of welfare based on my income.

Afraid have to take issue here, beggers cant be choosers. I live a fair bit away from my parents, wifes parents, etc. You buy where you can afford.

One child, one part time and one full time working.

The area we want to live in, the general Tymon North area, would be kinda within our means, if there were any suitable houses for sale. There are very few for sale unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭esforum

One child, one part time and one full time working.

The area we want to live in, the general Tymon North area, would be kinda within our means, if there were any suitable houses for sale. There are very few for sale unfortunately.

Thanks for anwering. I know the area, brother was looking at some there during his search, ended up down in Springfield

Advertisement