Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Healthy places to live?

Options
  • 17-12-2015 5:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭

This might be an odd question for the forum but I'd be interested to hear some thoughts from you triathletes and adventure racers. A few of us were chatting about where is the best place to live for getting out and active, both in Ireland and around the world?

I'm living beside the promenade in Salthill, Galway. On the doorstep there's multiple kilometers of uninterupted paths for running, the sea is across the road for swimming and you can take the bike out around Connemara with multiple possible loops.

Where have you lived or visited that has been well setup for an active outdoor lifestyle?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

I lived pretty much in Shankill all my life bar some time in Holland and in Kilmacanogue at the foot of the Wicklow hills. I didn't appreciate what was in front of my nose for so many years until I moved away.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Worn Out

J o e wrote: »
    This might be an odd question for the forum but I'd be interested to hear some thoughts from you triathletes and adventure racers. A few of us were chatting about where is the best place to live for getting out and active, both in Ireland and around the world?

I'm living beside the promenade in Salthill, Galway. On the doorstep there's multiple kilometers of uninterupted paths for running, the sea is across the road for swimming and you can take the bike out around Connemara with multiple possible loops.

Where have you lived or visited that has been well setup for an active outdoor lifestyle?

I agree Joe, salthill all the way. Great for running, free swimming when it's warm enough and Connemara only a few Km's away. Couldn't live anywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Salthill is good alright, but gotta say, Barna is miles ahead ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Dutchie

I live on the banks of the grand canal in Kildare.
    Go straight out the gate for a swim or kayak in the canal.
    Turn right out the gate to run on a tow path to Galway or Dublin
    jump on the bike, go to the end of the lane turn left for the plains of Kildare or right for the Dublin and Wicklow mountains 10km away.

Bliss.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

BTH wrote: »
    Salthill is good alright, but gotta say, Barna is miles ahead ;)

I cant stand Galway for cycling. I always dread cycling there. There arent near as many options route wise for cycling and roads aren't in the best of nick with no hard shoulder for the most part.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Bambaata wrote: »
    I cant stand Galway for cycling. I always dread cycling there. There arent near as many options route wise for cycling and roads aren't in the best of nick with no hard shoulder for the most part.

I hear you. Is Dublin/Wicklow any better? I assume once you head for Sally Gap, etc it's no better than out around Connemara?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Get Offroad and you will quickly realise that Ireland is a Gem.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Dutchie wrote: »
    I live on the banks of the grand canal in Kildare.
    Go straight out the gate for a swim or kayak in the canal.
    Turn right out the gate to run on a tow path to Galway or Dublin
    jump on the bike, go to the end of the lane turn left for the plains of Kildare or right for the Dublin and Wicklow mountains 10km away.

Bliss.

That's a pretty good setup alright.

Not sure an auld swim in the GC would be my cup of tea though :)

Firm believer in occasional off-road biking to mix it up a bit.

pgibbo wrote: »
    I hear you. Is Dublin/Wicklow any better? I assume once you head for Sally Gap, etc it's no better than out around Connemara?

The one thing Dublin/Wicklow has is loads of variety.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Fair point actually. I've done most of my "scenic" cycling out west (Spiddal / Moycullen / Barna) in the Summer months and it's very enjoyable. I went for a spin around the Barna loop the last evening in the dark and the surface and lack of hard shoulder made it quite uncomfortable.

For hassle-free mileage with a big hard shoulder, it's easier to go east out by Oranmore, Craughwell, Loughrea direction on the old Dublin road.

• Advertisement

J o e wrote: »
    Fair point actually. I've done most of my "scenic" cycling out west (Spiddal / Moycullen / Barna) in the Summer months and it's very enjoyable. I went for a spin around the Barna loop the last evening in the dark and the surface and lack of hard shoulder made it quite uncomfortable.

For hassle-free mileage with a big hard shoulder, it's easier to go east out by Oranmore, Craughwell, Loughrea direction on the old Dublin road.

I can see how the Barna/Spiddal/Moycullen route is nice now and then but it bores me to tears these days and i'm only on it very occasionally.

There are mountains out that way or is it all pan flat? I might drive Burren direction next time and cycle around there to vary it up

The old Dublin Road is pretty much flat. However, there are options to turn off and take in some hillier routes around Loughrea.

Some lovely spins down around the Burren.

I can see how the Barna/Spiddal/Moycullen route is nice now and then but it bores me to tears these days and i'm only on it very occasionally.

There are mountains out that way or is it all pan flat? I might drive Burren direction next time and cycle around there to vary it up

You should also think about going over Cong direction Ed. Some lovely cycles around there. You could drive to Maam Cross and go from there towards Lough na Fooey. Lovely part of the world

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭kal7

Sounds like half of boards triathletes are in Salthill, including myself. Great place to run from my front door.

Apart from being concrete.

I agree for cycling the narrow roads can be off putting, but if you get out from galway city, early before traffic there are some great routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Think most people will go for where they live, any where can be good for training really. So I'm going to go where I live, North County Dublin, close to the sea for open water swimming (only minus would be lack of a very local pool but there is a 50m pool close to work). Good variety of routes for cycling, have flat spins and hilly spins and no bother to do longer spins without having to go back on yourself. Same for running, nice 4k-ish route around where I live that is all lit up and has people on it all year round. Again flat areas and not too far from hills. My longer runs I have a nice variety of routes depending on how I'm feeling. With the choice of going off road too not far away.

pgibbo wrote: »
    You should also think about going over Cong direction Ed. Some lovely cycles around there. You could drive to Maam Cross and go from there towards Lough na Fooey. Lovely part of the world

Yeah its nice down there. I'll be over for a few days end of this week so will head that direction. Roads are fairly quiet around there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭PoorFarmer

As much as it pains me to say it, Killarney has just about everything an athlete needs. Possibly with the exception of a dedicated mountain bike trail

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭okane1

PoorFarmer wrote: »
    As much as it pains me to say it, Killarney has just about everything an athlete needs. Possibly with the exception of a dedicated mountain bike trail

Live in Killarney and there are plenty of mtb trials the cycling club have built up. A lot would be local knowledge, plus their xc racing circuit in Fossa

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭boodiebhoy

Have to give a shout out to my own location in west Waterford. Good cycling options with the Sean Kelly routes or coast road to Tramore. Nice open water swimming at Clonea. Local Athletic club, West Waterford AC organises approx. 60 events a year plus training. Tri club active in Dungarvan with a few years and organised a very good sprint race for last two years. Relatively short drive to some other good club organised sprints in Carrick on Suir, Dunmore East, Youghal and Fermoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭bopperr

For those working in Dublin where would you rate the best place to live?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭cart man

Wont go far wrong on green line near m50. Everywhere easily accessible, all the amenities you could possibly want, including 50m pool at UCD. In the foothills of Dublin/Wicklow mountains, near coast. Choice of clubs. What else would you like?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

bopperr wrote: »
    For those working in Dublin where would you rate the best place to live?

I guess the south is right so is close to the Phoenix park.
    I have to agree with Ed re Galway it takes. Very long time to get to the fantastic cycling around Galway but close to Galway I find traffic worse than in dublin.
    Both Killarney and dungarven area would do me very well
    And Sligo would prob be tri hotspot in Ireland right now.

Outside Ireland girona or Perpignan would be a good places
    Toulouse Valencia Malaga etc would also be good for year long training and better vegetables Than in Ireland since you mention healty ... When was the last time you had a tomato in Ireland that tasted like it should?
    San Diego would have canary island climate with more cycling options ( if you are rich )
    Medellin in Colombia would also be a great place
    Freiburg lausanne bozen would also be good places where you could mix Nordic sking with triathlon for good yearly training.

At the end of the day given that the best tri squad at the moment is based in Leeds you can make it everywhere if you really want .

Advertisement